Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

10 MPH on the SART... seriously?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 01:01 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know how late I am on this but I've been seeing speed limit signs posted on the Santa Ana River Trail, setting the speed at 10 MPH. The Santa Ana River Trail's website (https://www.trailsafetypatrol.com/index.html) shows a sample of these signs and comments:

"The 10 MPH speed limit eliminates most bicycle groups from the SART as it is very difficult to maintain this low speed."

Now, I'm not sure how anyone expects to enforce this but, seriously, why would you want to eliminate cycling groups from a trail ideal for cycling. I mean, last I heard cycling was a good thing we wanted to encourage. As for eliminating most groups, I know beginning riders who keep up a speed of 12 MPH, so I'm sure that limit is just way too low.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this and see what other riders on the SART think. Good thing? Bad thing? Laughable?
Old 06-23-10, 01:12 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've never ridden the SART, but if we had a 10 mph limit on our MUP's, I think there would be a public hanging! Seems like a "Bad" idea on the surface.
Old 06-23-10, 01:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's positively infuriating. I can't imagine why they want to exclude people from using the trail. I imagine a petition wouldn't work because if their main goal is to exclude a majority of riders... I'm really ticked off about this.
Old 06-23-10, 01:52 PM

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm no longer missing anything by not riding it.

I tried doing 10 mph once, god that was annoyingly slow. Hopefully this doesn't happen on the San Diego Creek Trail....that would really suck for me.
Old 06-23-10, 02:08 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
It's not like everyone obeys the speed limit when driving on the freeway in Southern California. And has anyone seen any bicycle patrol officers on the SART? If so, I'll bet they're on mountain bikes and wearing those un-aero pistol/club/tazer-laden action-belts (and probably a few extra inches of walrus flesh besides.)

It's probably just a measure to get some of us pointy-helmet TT-demons to think a little before tearing past pedestrians or kids with training wheels--since the speeding party would be considered at fault. (And rightfully so, in most cases.)
Old 06-23-10, 02:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did you see these signs? I just rode the section between the 405 and PCH and I saw nothing. Maybe I didn't see them because I was moving at 20mph.
Old 06-23-10, 02:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are two I can think of right off hand: One where the trail meets the PCH and another up in Anaheim by Taft. I'm pretty sure I saw one more besides but I can't remember where.

It's funny you mentioned your speed. I didn't even notice one until I was stopped!
Old 06-23-10, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Has there been any evidence of enforcement? I agree that 10mph is way too low except maybe for some limited areas with particularly bad sight-lines. I'm in northern California and many of the MUPs in the SF Bay area have nominal speed limits of 15 mph but with poor signage. I did encounter a motorcycle cop hiding behind some shrubs with a radar gun on the Iron Horse trail. He was located on the only significant downhill on the entire trail (coming off the Ygnacio overcrossing bridge). Not sure if he was giving out tickets or only warnings.
Old 06-23-10, 02:55 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Not sure if he was giving out tickets or only warnings.
With the current economy in California, very few agencies will tie up LEO's to give out warnings. The City Councils have told many of them to make as much money as they can. Then again, radar'ing a MUP? There has to be higher revenue speed traps in the area, so I guess I could be wrong about the warning thing, too.
Old 06-23-10, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are the speed limits still 5 or 10 mph on the Huntington Beach path? I remember back in the early 90's they started to enforce that. Had a motorcycle offiicer just west of the pier. I seem to remember that it was 5mph on that sidealk path thru Newport Beach.
Old 06-23-10, 05:06 PM
aka. vertical jon

Location: Anaheim, Home of the Los Angeles? Angels of Anaheim... in Orange County?

Bikes: White Carbon Token, Cannondale Mtn, 1975 Peugeot UO-8 Golden Fixed Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding it for years and never even read the signs. It is unsafe for group rides though, I only ride it solo and still I've been in more close calls than in normal traffic. I didn't even know it had hours, I've ridden it at midnight many times.

Old 06-23-10, 05:11 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've mentioned hours several times on the forums over the years. Other riders just think I'm crazy though!
Old 06-23-10, 05:20 PM
steel lover

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely no direct influence on your trails, but the local constables have set up radar on one of the MUPs here in Houston. Ours has no speed limit other than "10mph while passing pedestrians"... and they were writing tickets for it.
As not likely as it is to begin with, and it's only happend 2 consecutive weekends as far as I know... but they did actually waste the time to do it.
Old 06-23-10, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I've ridden SART at 3:00 AM at over 10 mph. The true outlaw biker is among you. Usually on a red Univega.

I did take a shortcut through Fairview park on my 3:00 ride. Had a small pack of coyotes follow me to Placentia Ave.
Old 06-23-10, 07:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just noticed in your picture WCD that the "hours" begin at 7am. I had seen the hours posted when I started riding on the trail a couple of years ago and it had been 6am back then. Between that and the speed limit, this is getting seriously goofy.

Originally Posted by WhiteCarbonDude
I've been riding it for years and never even read the signs. It is unsafe for group rides though, I only ride it solo and still I've been in more close calls than in normal traffic. I didn't even know it had hours, I've ridden it at midnight many times.

Old 06-23-10, 08:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like I said before...if they enforce the speed limit...$hit load of us are going to get reckless speeding tickets! LoL

I remember once a lady yell at me because I pass her on the trail and I was going about 24MPH and she yell "slow down and what the rush!" hahaha
Old 06-23-10, 09:11 PM
A Mountaineering thing

Bikes: 4 Road 2 Mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I've mentioned hours several times on the forums over the years. Other riders just think I'm crazy though!
And they would be correct, No?
Old 06-23-10, 09:24 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Been riding that trail for 25+ years, they can hand me a ticket once they catch up to me.. Good Luck...
Old 06-24-10, 09:20 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hillbasher
And they would be correct, No?

MMmmmuuuh!
Old 06-24-10, 11:22 AM
calm down its just a bike

Bikes: PK Ripper FG, raleigh folder, felt z5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i recently started to appreciate riding sart esp from Green River to the 55 fwy...thing is most of the signs im thinking is just to cover their a$$ just in case one of us gets hurt or hurts someone else then we/us cant go after the city or governing body in that particular area of the trail

10mph is really slow and i aint no speed demon...hahahaha

forget the speed limit, how do you all deal with the bugs trying to fly in your mouth, in your eye or up your nose ????

Last edited by kandyredcoi; 06-24-10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-24-10, 08:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kandyredcoi

forget the speed limit, how do you all deal with the bugs trying to fly in your mouth, in your eye or up your nose ????

Just add pair of sunglasses and you are good to go!

and the rife is just added bonus! LoL
Old 06-25-10, 01:31 AM
calm down its just a bike

Bikes: PK Ripper FG, raleigh folder, felt z5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^hahahhahaahhaha kinda ruins your breathing just a little bit, and no worries i got rifles too
Old 06-25-10, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it's a countywide thing. They have signs all over the wilderness parks of 10 mph speed limits.
Kinda hard to see bouncing around on those 20 mph descents.
Old 06-25-10, 11:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kandyredcoi
^hahahhahaahhaha kinda ruins your breathing just a little bit, and no worries i got rifles too

then this should work

Old 06-25-10, 05:59 PM
surfrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The bike path around the Huntington Beach pier still has a speed limit of 5 mph, and during the summer they City has has flashing lights 1/2 mile on either side of the pier that, when on, require you to walk your bike through that area. Personally I stay away from the bike path down there; way too many people walking aimlessly along the path.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.