Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Cycling In Queens NY

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-10, 01:23 PM

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling In Queens NY

Queens has a great bike path system, here is a photo

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kissena Lake..jpg (97.6 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by v70cat; 10-31-10 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-31-10, 02:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.nycbikemaps.com/maps/queens-bike-map/
Old 10-31-10, 02:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Motor Parkway Bike Path

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_Motor_Parkway

"The western portion of the Motor Parkway in Queens was reopened a few months after closure as a bicycle path from Kissena Park to Alley Pond"
It is beautiful car free section with some hills to train on.
Attached Images
motor parkway..jpg (22.0 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by v70cat; 10-31-10 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-31-10, 02:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kissena Park Velodrome

https://queens.about.com/cs/parks/p/velodrome.htm

The Velodrome in Kissena Park (Flushing, Queens) reopened in 2004 after major renovations. This bike racing track, originally built for the 1964 Olympic trials, had been neglected until an overhaul in 2003. Now the beautiful 400-meter banked asphalt racing track features viewing stands, a fence, and a tower for race officials. The Kissena Park Velodrome is full of racers from May through September, run by the Kissena Cycling Club.
Attached Images
kissena_velodrom&#.jpg (4.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 10-31-10, 02:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the 34th Ave. bike path to the Thogs Neck Bridge, once around Flush Meadow Park and back home. The bike path is on sections of the old Motor Parkway. It really shows the diversity of Queens from the dense urban environment of Flushing to the beauty of Alley Pond Park and then the water front along Little Neck Bay in Bayside. You could also visit Fort Totten https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/forttotten.
Here more information on Alley Pond Park https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/alleypondpark Alley Pond Park offers glimpses into New York’s geologic past, its colonial history, and its current conservation efforts. Because of its glacier-formed moraine, the park has numerous unique natural features, like its freshwater and saltwater wetlands, tidal flats, meadows, and forests, which create a diverse ecosystem and support abundant bird life. Here is photo of the bike path in Alley Pond Park https://www.nycgovparks.org/photo_gal...size/10044.jpg

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/36753289
Old 10-31-10, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've recently been figuring out cycling in Queens due to sometimes cycling out to Long Island through it. I had a pretty crappy route at first but have now discovered that Queens is not all that bad!
Old 10-31-10, 06:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The car free or low car bike lanes are the best of the City and better than Long Island except for the East End.
Old 10-31-10, 07:34 PM

Bikes: Colnago VIP, Specialized Langster Comp, Specialized Epic, Don Walker track, John Cherry

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too bad it's starting to get cold! I also use the route marked out for western portions of the NYC century ride. https://www.nycbikemaps.com/maps/tran...00-mile-route/
Old 10-31-10, 09:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just need some long pants bibs,glove, long sleeve jersey & jacket and you can ride for another month or so.

That said it was cold today and windy; the wind was a deal killer today.
Old 11-01-10, 07:01 AM
don't door me bro!

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the post, I would really like to see what Queens has to offer cyclists, can't say I've spent much time riding up that way.
Old 11-01-10, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
My Long Island/NY bike path website (https://nyrides.freehosting.net) has a few more, but for now, I want to mention the VERY popular path along the Cross Island Parkway.
Old 11-01-10, 03:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
My Long Island/NY bike path website (https://nyrides.freehosting.net) has a few more, but for now, I want to mention the VERY popular path along the Cross Island Parkway.
Yes the Cross Island Parkway ride from Northern Blvd to the Bridge is very nice and part of the ride shown on this link https://connect.garmin.com/activity/36753289
Old 11-01-10, 06:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'm going to check out those routes. Cycling in Queens turned out to be much less intimidating than I expected. Recently I rode from Prospect Park in Brooklyn to Jackson Heights and was surprised to find that almost the entire trip was marked bike routes. The parkways sound great.
Old 11-03-10, 08:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am riding from Jackson Heights to Bay Ridge on Sunday what route should I take?

My Guess is along the water front Kent Ave etc.
Old 11-03-10, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
I am riding from Jackson Heights to Bay Ridge on Sunday what route should I take?

My Guess is along the water front Kent Ave etc.
Any route you choose will have to take the NYC Runners Marathon into account. There will be times when as either a cyclist or a pedestrian, you will not be permitted to cross the route. Similarly, the route and crossing it, will be closed to cars, making the adjacent streets much more crowded.

The roughest part will be the stretch along 4th Ave between 20th and 39th Streets. There's the harbor, 3rd Ave, 4th Ave, 5th Ave and Greenwood Cemetary. Both 3rd and 5th Aves will be clogged with cars and 4th Ave will be clogged with runners.
Old 11-03-10, 01:29 PM

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my fav memories of my first summer biking in Queens was going out on the Vanderbilt Pkwy, then after cutting north, getting completely, and I mean completely lost in that little forest. Thank god for a GPS phone. LOL. Then rode up along the Little Neck bay bike path. Wide, relaxed, fairly scenic for NYC. Looped down through Flushing on the way back, a diff kind of urban scenery :-) Could easily extend a route through Kissena / Flushing Meadow / Forest Parks and see a lot of cool stuff. Or keep going through Corona (stop by Louis Armstrong's house) towards Jackson Heights & Woodside.

Not much in central Qns though... A few weird back alleys or old houses that used to be farms (Onderdonk) near Bushwick & Ridgewood.
Old 11-03-10, 03:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
Any route you choose will have to take the NYC Runners Marathon into account. There will be times when as either a cyclist or a pedestrian, you will not be permitted to cross the route. Similarly, the route and crossing it, will be closed to cars, making the adjacent streets much more crowded.

The roughest part will be the stretch along 4th Ave between 20th and 39th Streets. There's the harbor, 3rd Ave, 4th Ave, 5th Ave and Greenwood Cemetary. Both 3rd and 5th Aves will be clogged with cars and 4th Ave will be clogged with runners.
i am doing a ride of the Marathon route it starts at 7:00 AM
Old 11-03-10, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
i am doing a ride of the Marathon route it starts at 7:00 AM
Sunrise will be about 6:30, with the time change. That means you will be riding with limited visibility most of the time. I've found that decent pavement and lighting trump bike paths and scenery in the dark. You have the option of taking the 5:30 R from Roosevelt Ave and have it deposit you at 95th St at 6:45.

If you do plan to ride, be sure to have lights. Weather forecast is upper 30's to lower 40's, while you will be riding to Bay Ridge. Predicted wind is NNW at 10+ mph and gusts to 38 mph. That's mostly a tailwind getting to Bay Ridge and a headwind, for most of the way following the Marathon.

I live in Flushing and will help out at one of the water stations along 4th Ave in Brooklyn. I plan to ride but I don't have to report until 7:30. I'll be leaving at 6am but will have only 30 minutes of darkness. You will have to travel 5 miles further and arrive 30 minutes earlier.

The route I plan to take is:
Corona Ave to 51st Ave
51st Ave/Maurice Ave/Maspeth Ave to Page Pl
Page Pl to Grand Ave
Grand Ave to Leonard St (bike lane after Metropolitan Ave Br)
Leonard St/Wallabout St (bike lane) to Harrison Ave (bike lane)
Harrison Ave/Tompkins Ave (bike lane) to DeKalb Ave (bike lane)
DeKalb Ave (bike lane) to Vanderbilt Ave (sharrows + bike lane)
Vanderbilt Ave (sharrows + bike lane) to Bergen St (bike lane)
Bergen St (bike lane) to 4th Ave
4th Ave to destination.

I'd join this route at the 51st Ave/Maurice Ave jct by taking 69th St from Jackson Heights. I'd also take 4th Ave down to the Bay Ridge rather than 5th Ave (bike lane) because if you're late you will be able to catch Alfredo coming the up along the route.
Old 11-05-10, 08:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it sounds like the train might be a better way to go.
Old 11-05-10, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
>>>>Could easily extend a route through Kissena / Flushing Meadow / Forest Parks and see a lot of cool stuff.<<<<<

If you remember the 1964 (or 1939) World's Fair -- or if you've seen a documentary about either one recently, you can experience lots of little historical moments while riding through Flushing Meadow Park. Here's a splice from the Flushing Meadow page on my website (https://nyrides.freehosting.net)

2. Flushing Meadow /
Corona Park
Including the 1939/1964 World's Fair Grounds, Meadow Lake,
CitiField, The Flushing Bay Promenade, Arthur Ashe Stadium & LaGuardia Airport

LAST RIDE: June, 2010
NOTE: Construction around the unisphere takes some of
the fun out of this ride!

Baby Boomers who grew up in New York should especially enjoy this very simple roll around the beautifully-refurbished grounds of the 1964 World's Fair and its peripheral attractions.
The story of the 1939 and 1964 fairs, both held at this location, is one that is documented comprehensively on other websites. Before setting out on this ride, I would suggest taking a moment to do some research to prepare yourself for the things you will see. If you were fortunate enough to be at either of the fairs, you might even remember many of the sites firsthand.
Essentially, Flushing Meadow/Corona Park is the result of a deal in which Robert Moses (legendary architect of the New York roadscape and park system) converted the "Valley of Ashes," made famous in The Great Gatsby, into a lively, yet peaceful retreat in the middle of Queens. Although most of the grand pavilions of the fairs were torn down the day the last fair ended, enough remains to remind us of the spectacular magnitude of these events. The 12-story stainless steel unisphere (made famous in several movies and TV commercials), the NY State Pavilion's Tent of Tomorrow & Observation Towers (now Theatre in the Park), the Top of the Fair (now Terrace On The Park, where the Beatles' helicopter landed prior to their 1965 Shea Stadium concert) the New York City Pavilion (where the United Nations met in 1947 to vote on the creation of the state of Israel) and scores of other buildings, statues, and landmarks make this a ride full of photo ops and nostalgic moments. As you pedal along, keep in mind that the pavement beneath you was once trod upon by the likes of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Albert Einstein, the King & Queen of England, and scores of other historical figures.
There's really no way to establish a starting and ending point for this ride. However, it is worthwhile to make sure you see all there is to see. Be aware that there are several overpasses that will bring you to various attractions in the park. When in doubt, take a chance and explore. If you park at the Ice Skating Ring, which you can reach from the Grand Central Parkway by following signs, you will be right in the middle of it all. Adjacent to the rink parking lot is the NY City Pavilion, which now houses the Queens Museum and an awesome panorama of New York City. Outside, you'll see a plaque dedicated to two police officers who died in July 1940 diffusing a bomb at the British Pavilion, a reminder that the original fair opened on the eve of WWII.
Take an overpass to the area where you'll get a close-up look at the NY State Pavilion, now operating as Theatre In The Park. Don't miss the Hall of Science and the space ship replicas that wowwed fair attendees at the peak of the 1960s Space Race. For the kids, there's a petting zoo and various playgrounds. Then there's the Terrace On The Park, which served as the Port Authority Building during the 1964-65 fair and had a helicopter pad on the roof for shuttling in presidents, ambassadors, and other dignitaries from around the world.
Another overpass will take you to Meadow Lake, the sight of various water shows during the fair. This was also New York City's ace-in-the-hole for capturing the 2012 Summer Olympic Games, or at least we thought. The lake got a face lift prior to an Olympic Committee inspection in 2004. NY City lost the bid, but gained a revamped boathouse and a clean bicycle path that skirts the entire lake. Don't miss this part of the park. There's even an outdoor snack bar on the lake in the warm weather months. The photo to the right shows the far end of the lake, with the World's Fair grounds in the background. It looks like a great distance, but trust me, this is an easy ride. You can also rent a boat or take a spin around the lake on a funky four-wheeler or trike. CLICK HERE for info!
Finally, while you're in the area, take a ride down the lightly-trafficked road in front of the ice rink, toward Arthur Ashe and CitiField. There's a bike path for part of the way, but you'll have to ride on the road for a bit. There will likely be many other cyclists, so don't worry about being invisible to cars. When in doubt, follow signs to "Marina & Promenade."
Seeing CitiField and Arthur Ashe by bicycle is pretty cool, quite different than driving by in an automobile. However, the highlight of this little side-trip will be the Flushing Bay Promenade, which runs along the Flushing Bay just across from CitiField all the way to LaGuardia Airport. When you reach a traffic circle right in front of CitiField's Parking Lot #8 entrance, make a left and head toward the water. Be careful crossing the roads here. From here, the directions to the promenade are self explanatory. You will see the art-deco bus stop canopies from the 1964 Fair here. Although the promenade extends a short distance to the right, make a left here and head toward LaGuardia Airport.
The Flushing Bay Promenade is often empty, as not many people know how to get here from any of the highways in the area. This was a mistake on the part of the planners, as this could have been a great destination on its own.
Ride the promenade to its termination at LaGuardia Airport, stopping at the roadside Dunkin' Donuts along the way (if you need coffee, a sugar fix, or a bathroom) then turn around and head back to wherever your car is parked. This will have been a great day.
Old 11-06-10, 08:20 AM
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back during August, There was a group that did feeder rides for Summer Streets in Manhattan from the Unisphere in Flushing Meadows Park. They went past Citifield to the Flushing Bay Promenade, crossed over the Grand Central Parkway via the helix overpass to 31st Drive / 108th Street to the 34th Avenue bike Lane to get to the Queensborough Bridge.

It's a nice longer-distance ride for those who want to extend a ride past the promenade.
Old 11-06-10, 09:31 AM

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great thread. I was very frustrated riding in Central Park today (Saturday of NYC Marathon Weekend) and was wondering during my consultancy stints in NYC where else to ride. Very cool. Should have headed towards Queens today.

Essex
Old 11-06-10, 12:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the writeup on Flushing Meadows - didn't know they revamped the lake area b/c of the 2012 olympic bid. They're still working on a few points (better late than never), but the surrounding bike path isn't the greatest. Definitely don't try it after any rainfall, it's all right @ the water level & floods easily.

Came back through there on my ride this morning & saw a couple crew teams practicing on it which was a surprise! Although I'm more curious to see that chinese dragon boat race that's held over the summer. And it was awesome to just ride up there during the few days prior to the US Open, lock up the bikes, & stroll in to catch some free courtside world-class tennis playing their hearts out for the wild-card spots.

IMO, the most underrated feature of that park is the Column of Jerash, an ancient column built by the Romans & brought over by Jordan for the '64 world's fair. They left it here in a really secluded corner & now it just overlooks the Ecuadorian / Venezuelan soccer games every weekend. Tough to find at first, & I think the sign's been stolen so now it's just a marble column in a park... But prob the 2nd oldest man-made thing that sits outside in NYC, if the oldest is Cleopatra's Needle in Central Park.
Old 11-06-10, 12:33 PM
vol

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Is there a better way to ride from Manhattan to Queens than crossing the Queensborough Bridge?
Old 11-06-10, 12:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, & to the little old asian lady doing her morning arm-swinging calisthenics in Kissena park wearing headphones:

Could you not walk backwards on the greenway path while you do it? Forwards is fine, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.