Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else not impressed with Campy?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 10:21 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts

Seriously good stuff. Great bicycle art. Functions wonderfully. But is it worth the money? I don't even think it's close.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-30-10, 10:25 PM
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Playing with fire, Doohickie...
Old 11-30-10, 10:28 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Depends on the price. If you're talking NOS prices, then I might as well go buy a new Campagnolo 10sp Centaur or Athena group. I picked up a Serotta wearing a nearly complete Super Record group in trade for a Schwinn that I had about $300 in. Figure the frame was worth every penny of the purchase price so that group cost me $0 - so it was well worth that price! On the flip side I pieced together a Nuovo Record group for my Gazelle A-Frame. Works well, I think the Sachs freewheel is the weak point in that group right now causing some shifting issues. I had a SunTour Cyclone / Superbe group on that bike for a short time - didn't find it in any way better than the Nuovo Record.
Old 11-30-10, 10:28 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Depends on what you're talking about. If you mean Athena 11 full carbon, I wouldn't spend it. If you have a bike with a wide range on the rear freewheel - again, I'd look at something else.

If you want something that's going to last for 30 years of use with cursory maintenance, and look good - I'd not look past it.
Old 11-30-10, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are we talking new Campy? I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Heck, I wouldn't trade my Centaur in for SRAM Red or Di2 if I had the choice.

The stuff functions properly and reliably. It looks great, it's fully user serviceable, and it lasts forever.

As for the old stuff, I've heard that DA from the 70s had better shifting performance than SR, which might be right, but it's all suggestive.
Old 11-30-10, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Maybe Tullio Campagnolo is not impressed with YOU...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tullio_campagnolo.jpg (14.8 KB, 82 views)
Old 11-30-10, 11:05 PM

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Vintage Campy? Worth it if the snob value is important to you. Otherwise, stick with Shimano, SunTour or Simplex. There is nothing so overpriced, overvalued and over-hyped in cycling as Nuevo Record. I got disillusioned with it back in '73. Indexed Campy? Not interested in all the lack of interchangeability. Shimano makes it all a lot easier.

Bottom line: Ride Campy if you gotta show off. Or if a certain part of your physique isn't functioning anymore.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 11-30-10, 11:07 PM
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
nice troll

Old 11-30-10, 11:08 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I assume we are talking about old Campy, circa 1980's. Let me be diplomatic. I have run both old Campy friction and mid 80's DA SIS. The old Campy runs like the transmission on an old standard shift 3-speed truck compared to DA. I originally built up my early 80's Pinarello all Campy with an '84 Patent RD and absolutely hated it. It was just plain clunky. I pulled the Campy drivetrain and transplanted the DA. Now it shifts like the sports car it's suppose to be.

BTW, I have since started collecting DA drivetrain components. My future C&V builds will all be DA or 600 tricolor. Actually, all of my present C&V bikes are DA, Tricolor, Ultegra or some combination, including the Italians.

Last edited by RFC; 11-30-10 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 11:09 PM
No one cares

Originally Posted by sykerocker

Bottom line: Ride Campy if you gotta show off. Or if a certain part of your physique isn't functioning anymore.
where the heck is that eye rolling smilely?

Old 11-30-10, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
both my road bikes are FULL campy and even my sscx bike has campy cranks, bb, and front hub.

i wouldnt trade my 10spd record for red, dura ace, or di2. i would trade it for record or super record 11 though (maybe chorus)
Old 11-30-10, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
personally, i've got nothing *against* the campy stuff, but i'm a confirmed shimano guy. Not b/c there's anything wrong with campy, but b/c shimano got so much of it right, including price and the price of the vintage stuff. I suspect that campagnolo's popularity/perceived value has something to do with racism for many of the zealots.

-rob
Old 11-30-10, 11:14 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Originally Posted by devinfan
Maybe Tullio Campagnolo is not impressed with YOU...
Ack! He's scary! I take back everything I said!

Old 11-30-10, 11:15 PM

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
If we're talking new Campy, than I agree. Amazingly, the new ($400) carbon Super Record rear derailleur is 2 grams heavier than one of my old Superbe Pro RDs. And it probably doesn't work any better than the Suntour when you're using friction shifters . I'll just sit back now and wait for a hoard of weight-weenies to lynch me... if they can catch me on their heavy, heavy bikes.
Old 11-30-10, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cinco
If we're talking new Campy, than I agree. Amazingly, the new ($400) carbon Super Record rear derailleur is 2 grams heavier than one of my old Superbe Pro RDs. And it probably doesn't work any better than the Suntour when you're using friction shifters . I'll just sit back now and wait for a hoard of weight-weenies to lynch me... if they can catch me on their heavy, heavy bikes.
thats like saying di2 is garbage because it wont even work with your friction levers...

edit:

did i just defend shimano?
Old 11-30-10, 11:18 PM
You gonna eat that?

Ah, maybe that's why it doesn't impress me.

Originally Posted by -holiday76
nice troll
Thanks, but I'm kind of serious.

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
both my road bikes are FULL campy and even my sscx bike has campy cranks, bb, and front hub.

i wouldnt trade my 10spd record for red, dura ace, or di2. i would trade it for record or super record 11 though (maybe chorus)
Gawd, who needs more than 6 or 7 speeds in back???

Old 11-30-10, 11:21 PM
No one cares

i love my ergo 10 speed shifters. i can even rebuild them if they ever do break. Can you do that with Shimano?

Old 11-30-10, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Campy 10s, especially in the Centaur flavor, is good value for money...especially if you buy used...hardy, rebuildable..AND...doesn't look terribly out of place on a C+V bike!
Old 11-30-10, 11:38 PM

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
thats like saying di2 is garbage because it wont even work with your friction levers...

edit:

did i just defend shimano?

I'm just waiting for Shimano's huge product recall due to complaints of unintended acceleration. Sometime in the near future we're going to see a group of cyclists in the TdF flying up a mountain at 100MPH, screaming all the way.
Old 11-30-10, 11:39 PM

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Hmmm... All I know is 60s-70s Campagnolo. In those days it was the best you could get. Since, well, the Japanese have probably improved upon it. But I still ride only the old stuff. If it was good enough for Eddy...

Actually, what's great about it is it lasts forever!
Old 11-30-10, 11:46 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
I suspect that campagnolo's popularity/perceived value has something to do with racism for many of the zealots.

Maybe race-ism, as in Campagnolo has/had a long history as the preeminent bicycle racing component manufacturer. Shimano and Suntour represent a shift in cycling history for some, though I'm not exactly sure what that shift is. That's why the Classic Rendezvous list has 1983 as a cut-off date for discussion (predates indexed shifting systems).

I perceive more racism (or zealous patriotism?) in sketchy CL and ebay listings for "MADE IN THE USA" Treks and Cannondales.
Old 11-30-10, 11:48 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Lasts forever +1 - and look how much material you can remove from it while still retaining functionality!!

I Campy! And I never drill anything but

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-01-10 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-01-10, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Indexed Campy? Not interested in all the lack of interchangeability. Shimano makes it all a lot easier.
This actually made me laugh my ass off.

What's not interchangeable with Campy? Shimano has so many proprietary movements, I can't even begin to fathom how this is a negative against Campy at all.

EDIT: DD: that is absolutely amazing! You should do a drillium class.
Old 12-01-10, 12:36 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride 10s Record and love it. It looks MUCH better than modern Shimano and functions as well or better from my experience.

The vintage stuff to me is mostly snob appeal but I understand using it to keep a high end vintage bike original. For value and functionality in friction land it's Suntour FTW!

EDIT: I just want to add that I searched FTW to see what else it might mean other than "for the win" and "Frank The Welder" came up on acronym finder....
Old 12-01-10, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I think it's fair to say that campagnolo had a bit of a 'dark age' if you will, during which shimano made better performing components. That said, their new stuff seems to be excellent, and back in the day (pre-80's) they were pretty much top of the heap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.