Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I have a roadie - now I want/need a commuter. Suggestions?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,
I have a Roubaix comp as my "main bike" but I have a real need for a knock-a-round commuter type bike. Why do I need it? I want a bike for:
  • those quick trips to the store
  • riding with my daughter
  • riding in rain
  • riding in snow
  • not the end of the world if it gets stolen
  • not the end of the world if it gets dented
  • I dont need special shoes or gear
  • able to eventually fit fenders/panniers
  • easy for a quick and fun ride when the sun pokes out

My budget is around $450 - I dont really want to go higher than this because I have my Roubaix for more serious riding. This bike is going to be used for the times I dont want to use my Roubaix for. I would also like the best setup available (at this price) for granny gearing hills.

Bikes Im looking at:
Scouring Craigslist for Trek Fx or Specialized Sirrus - missed one for $300, a 7.3

Entry Level Sirrus at LBS - $460 + tax

Bikesdirect GT Tachyon $400 - https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gt/gt_tachyon_3.htm
Same bike for sale at REI for $550 - https://www.rei.com/product/796425

Cannondale Quick 6 - $300 - https://www.rei.com/product/782563

These are the kind of bike Im looking for. Thoughts or comments from the herd?

Thanks!

Last edited by magohn; 04-01-11 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 12:21 AM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
You should test ride a bike before buying.
So if Craigslist doesn't pan out, I would go with
the bikes from REI or the LBS.
Old 04-02-11, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7.0 fx are $350 here in Fargo at the local Scheels sporting goods
Old 04-02-11, 06:13 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i built a nashbar touring from up from scratch for my commuter. it's a lot more than 400 when all is said and done but I had some specific things i wanted in it. the frame is only 99 and a steel touring fork is available from them for $50. nashbar microshift 9speed shifters are $30, microshift FD and RD are also about $30 each. Nashbar also has some cheap cranks available as well, you could build a sleeper commuter for around your target number and upgrade it if desired. people are probably gonna think i'm a shill for them but I just really love my bike! Also, if you have any parts kicking around you can use those and save some $$$$ The nashbar touring frame can take 26" or 700c and tires up to 40C, TONS of clearance for rack, fenders etc.
Old 04-02-11, 06:45 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
magohn, A good choice would be a rigid mountain bike. Many from the mid '80s to late '90s can be had cheap enough on CL to easily afford tune up expenses plus accessories.

Brad

Last edited by bradtx; 04-02-11 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 06:46 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS's are real duds. I've yet to hear from any BikesDirect dissatisfied customers. Yes you're on your own for service/tuneups but I've paid list price to LBS for free delivery to their door. I may not be as experienced than their "mechanics" with bicycles but I'll spend the time to get it right.
Old 04-02-11, 07:17 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
last time I went home my buddy had one of these and I thought it was a nice little bike for the price (400$); it had a lot of utility, we even took it on some light trails in the swamp. To top it off it was fugly enough that no one would steal it.

https://www.khsbicycles.com/06_urban_xpress_m_11.htm
Old 04-02-11, 07:45 AM

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like hard tail mountain bikes for commuting and beating around with my kids for this I have a Trek 3700 I got mine for $325 on sale. I install an Ibert my two year old rides on the handlebars and a trail a bike tandem my 5 yo rides. I remove these Monday-Friday for commuting. I did replace the knobby tires with high pressure Kenda Kwests. It has been solid for utilitarian riding.
Old 04-02-11, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek fx 7.1 is an awesome bike a few models down from mine. Its $449 https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/bike_path/fx/71fx/
Old 04-02-11, 10:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys.
UPDATE: I may have a chance at a 2010 Trex Fx 7.3 (Disc Brake) for around $350. Its gently used with 200 miles on it. The bike comes with fenders and a rear rack. The only issue is that its a 25". Ideally I would ride a 22.5". Im 6 feet tall. I know this frame is probably a little big for me but as the bike is strictly for a "knock around" bike I think I can live with that - thoughts on this deal?
Old 04-02-11, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Even if its a knock around bike I would get something that fits magohn. I say test ride it to see.

I have rigid MTB that is supposedly to big for me, but felt fine when it was in working condition.

As another poster mentioned rigid MTB's make excellent commuters. Mine has double eyelets both front and rear for racks and/or fenders and are usually pretty beefy from frame to wheels.
Old 04-02-11, 12:41 PM

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
25" i woud steer clear of it to be honest. might be worth a go at making your own seeing as it is your second bike and have the roubaix for the time being. its great fun and very educational so maybe a second hand yoke somewhere and add bits to it over time? thats what i'd do and you'll get plenty of help with upgrades in here too
Old 04-02-11, 01:54 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magohn
Thanks for all the responses guys.
UPDATE: I may have a chance at a 2010 Trex Fx 7.3 (Disc Brake) for around $350. Its gently used with 200 miles on it. The bike comes with fenders and a rear rack. The only issue is that its a 25". Ideally I would ride a 22.5". Im 6 feet tall. I know this frame is probably a little big for me but as the bike is strictly for a "knock around" bike I think I can live with that - thoughts on this deal?
Don't those bikes have "compact" geometry. IF so 25" is 63cm, it will probably be borderline for you at 6 ft and depend on your porportions. You may find that you can't get the seat quite low enough. Take it for a ride though, that sounds like a very good deal. Of course, if it doesn't fit you perfect you could buy it and then buy the nashbar touring frame i mentioned and swap all the parts over. you'll come in right at your budget of $450.

I also say look at bikes direct. the lower end bikes direct stuff definately has some cheaper parts on it, but the frames are fine and you can always upgrade parts down the road if need be.
Old 04-02-11, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
magohn, If the bike doesn't fit it isn't a bargain. I'm 6' and a 25" frame is out of the question. Yes with a shorter stem and a very low saddle height you can make it fit, but then comes the uncomfortable issue of stand-over height.

Brad
Old 04-02-11, 02:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6' as well and picked up an older 25" bike thinking I could use it as a rain/beater bike. I ended up donating it to the local bike coop due to realizing how great of a compromise it was after riding my bikes that actually fit.

You could always try it, but if there's one millimeter of doubt if it fits, I'd pass on it. Don't try to justify that it's only a commuter, etc to overcome a bike that isn't the proper size.
Old 04-02-11, 03:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trex FX series do seem to have relaxed geometry, another reason I am hesitant at the frame size. The owner of the Fx 7.3 wont come down to $350-$375 (he wants $400 firm). I offered $375 and realy dont want to go any higher than that. Reason being the bike is 160 mile round trip to pick up and with the price of gas that puts the deal at around $450. I can get a new Specialized Sirrus at the LBS for $460 in 22.5 inch. I know the components are not quite as good as the Fx 7.3 but it is a NEW bike with warranty and exact fit for me. Ideally, I would still like to stay in the $350 range so its back to the searching...
Old 04-02-11, 03:51 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trex FX series do seem to have relaxed geometry, another reason I am hesitant at the frame size. The owner of the Fx 7.3 wont come down to $350-$375 (he wants $400 firm). I offered $375 and realy dont want to go any higher than that. Reason being the bike is 160 mile round trip to pick up and with the price of gas that puts the deal at around $450. I can get a new Specialized Sirrus at the LBS for $460 in 22.5 inch. I know the components are not quite as good as the Fx 7.3 but it is a NEW bike with warranty and exact fit for me. Ideally, I would still like to stay in the $350 range so its back to the searching...
do you have skills to take on a bit of a project or are you trying to buy something turnkey?
Old 04-02-11, 03:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motobecane69
do you have skills to take on a bit of a project or are you trying to buy something turnkey?
Im a tinkerer - I can fix most things. I like to know how thinks work and have fixed many a bike/car. Im happiest pulling out the engine/transmission on old MG sportscars
Old 04-02-11, 04:31 PM
No Money and No Sense

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about an old 3-speed? They're indestructible, cheap, and comfortable for short jaunts. The internal gear hub also keeps things clean in inclement weather. If you want to granny it you can put a large cog on the back.
Old 04-02-11, 04:38 PM
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
My LBS's are real duds. I've yet to hear from any BikesDirect dissatisfied customers. Yes you're on your own for service/tuneups but I've paid list price to LBS for free delivery to their door. I may not be as experienced than their "mechanics" with bicycles but I'll spend the time to get it right.
I'm pretty satisfied. I really like the LBS guys as they also teach me things whenever they work on my bike but I just can't afford to drop LBS prices on a new bike. If I did have that sort of disposable income I would love to show my patronage by buying a bike there but I don't feel too bad. From what I understand their profit margins on new bike sales are pretty low.
Old 04-03-11, 07:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys.
Myself and the Trek FX 7.3 Disc seller finally came to an agreement on $375 including rack and fenders. I drove the 160 mile roundtrip to pick the bike up this afternoon and I am thrilled. I now understand him being hesitant at $375, the bike is as new with less than 200 miles on it. After the deal I rode the bike around the local park and it feels great and everything works perfectly. I think I got a good deal for my "winter bike" scenario:

Last edited by magohn; 04-03-11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 07:45 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that topeak rack is awesome, I have the same one. they sell accessories that slide into that center channel and lock into place. I have the Trunk bag that has panniers on the side that fold up out of site when not in use.

https://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/MTXTrunkBagDXP
Old 04-03-11, 08:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motobecane69
that topeak rack is awesome, I have the same one. they sell accessories that slide into that center channel and lock into place. I have the Trunk bag that has panniers on the side that fold up out of site when not in use.

https://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/MTXTrunkBagDXP
Thanks - i did not know that..

Last edited by magohn; 04-04-11 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-04-11, 04:12 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I beginning to think I need to move to Washington. What a deal. Moving the farm is problem-matic
Old 04-04-11, 07:18 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - i did not now that..
no problem! I also like the crate attachement they have. its a bit pricey but it's perfect for city living since you can slide it right off at your destination and bring it inside. IF i lived out in the burbs, a milkcrate would suffice and I could leave it permananetly attached but here in the city people steal shyte in seconds.

Are you gonna put a front rack on it? I see that it has the mounts for it on the fork. My nashbar commuter has their carbon fiber cyclocross fork which allows for disc brakes so I attached a mini rack on the front using the canti studs. Now I just gotta figure out exactly how I"m gonna make use of it! It's definately the perfect size for a 6 pack if nothing else!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.