Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Road / Cyclo bike ~$1000?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at trading my Trek 7100 in for a road bike for riding around town. My budget is around $1,000. The roads around here are crap, so it needs to be able to take rough roads at decent speeds (I normally hit over 30 mph down hills, and average around 18 - 20 on flat), potholes, and do okay on gravel and some dirt paths. Fender and rack fittings would be a plus, but aren't necessary (I don't currently have them on my Trek).

I am considering a Specalized Tricross, Cannondale Synapse 7, or Trek Lane. Any recommendations? Anything else I should look at?
Old 06-01-11, 04:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it's worth, I was looking for the same thing and wanted a Lane. Unfortunately (at least on the east coast), Trek is 100% sold out. My LBS couldn't order one from anywhere, and I checked at least 30 other shops to see if anyone happened to have one sitting around the showroom.

That said, I ended up going with a Surly Cross Check and couldn't be happier. It's light and nimble (compared to my old Trek FX 7.2) and has rack and fender Moira with tons of clearance.
Old 06-01-11, 04:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and the Surly is right about $1000, so it'd be perfect for your budget.
Old 06-01-11, 04:36 PM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm thinking more cross or light touring bike would be about right. jakevance already mentioned the CC . Jamis has the Aurora or Nova which might work. Redline has the Conquest. Bianchi has the Volpe.
Old 06-01-11, 04:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to surly. If it fits you it's a great bike.
Old 06-01-11, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I've enjoyed my Masi. It's a little more with a MSRP of $1140.
https://www.masibikes.com/steel/speciale-cx/
Old 06-01-11, 05:11 PM
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Tricross seems like a nice bike. I love my Kona Jake. Quite a few options around that price.
Old 06-01-11, 05:12 PM

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Castro Valley, 1985 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Masi, Bianchi, Surly, Salsa all make excellent bikes that meet your criteria to a tee. I've ridden all of those, they are all thumbs up. It is a great time to shop for these type of bikes. I have a Bianchi, very happy with it. It just fit me best. I kind of covet a Surly because of the gargantuan tire clearances. Good luck finding some to test ride. Fun!
Old 06-01-11, 08:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar.com has a cyclocross bike for $510 after 15% discount.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0_10000_202940

Thinking of getting one for myself.

Mike
Old 06-01-11, 08:49 PM
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeclimbs
Nashbar.com has a cyclocross bike for $510 after 15% discount.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0_10000_202940

Thinking of getting one for myself.

Mike
The latest catalog has that bike for $499 and you can likely add the $15 off on top of that. Its a really good deal and includes SPD pedals. I might order one at that price.
Old 06-03-11, 06:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the recommendations. I checked out all the bike stores in my area today. Unfortunately no one has the Cross Check in the show room, and it doesn't look like Masi is offered here (which is too bad, because I was really interested in checking it out).

Tested the Jake, Tricross, Lane, and TCX 2. Although the Jake wasn't the smoothest, I think it was my favorite. Awesome components (I found I can't stand Sora shifters after using the Tiagra) and slightly quicker gearing (though I might at some point swap the cassette out for an Ultegra 11-23). Plus it looks nicer IMO, and I might try out a cyclo race out (which the Lane and Tricross probably wouldn't handle as well).

Only downer is the braking on all the bikes isn't nearly as good as I'm used to. Felt like it was taking me a good 50% longer to stop. Is that due to the slightly thinner tires? Or is it just because they are new pads and will wear in / need to be adjusted properly?
Old 06-03-11, 06:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most Cross bikes use cantilever brakes. Now, a lot of people will swear that they're just as good as calipers or disc brakes, or v-brakes or whatever, but I can tell, side-by-side with another bike, my Cross Check does NOT have great braking power. You get used to it and learn how hard to apply the brakes, and eventually it's no problem, but there will be a period in the beginning where you're scared to death you won't stop in time for the light at the bottom of the hill.

Then you'll start braking sooner.
Old 06-03-11, 06:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I'm jealous you actually found a Lane in stock somewhere. That was one of my top choices when I was shopping, but it's nowhere to be found in New Jersey/NYC.
Old 06-03-11, 06:55 PM
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akdms
Thanks a lot for all the recommendations. I checked out all the bike stores in my area today. Unfortunately no one has the Cross Check in the show room, and it doesn't look like Masi is offered here (which is too bad, because I was really interested in checking it out).

Tested the Jake, Tricross, Lane, and TCX 2. Although the Jake wasn't the smoothest, I think it was my favorite. Awesome components (I found I can't stand Sora shifters after using the Tiagra) and slightly quicker gearing (though I might at some point swap the cassette out for an Ultegra 11-23). Plus it looks nicer IMO, and I might try out a cyclo race out (which the Lane and Tricross probably wouldn't handle as well).

Only downer is the braking on all the bikes isn't nearly as good as I'm used to. Felt like it was taking me a good 50% longer to stop. Is that due to the slightly thinner tires? Or is it just because they are new pads and will wear in / need to be adjusted properly?
I think the cantis on my Jake (2010) stop pretty well, but not like the Avid SD (can't remember the number) on my Felt Hybrid. Someday I might get a carbon fiber fork with a disc mount, and put a disc on the front, but for now I'm ok with it.
Old 06-03-11, 07:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakevance
Also, I'm jealous you actually found a Lane in stock somewhere. That was one of my top choices when I was shopping, but it's nowhere to be found in New Jersey/NYC.

lol -- not only did I find it in stock, but it was also clearance for $950 because the store felt the components and frame were too cheap to sell for more than the Jake.
Old 06-03-11, 07:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I can go faster on a road / cyclo bike, but I don't have as much braking power. Comforting.
Old 06-03-11, 08:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I can go faster on a road / cyclo bike, but I don't have as much braking power. Comforting.
Haha. Look at it this way: You have the same braking power, it just takes longer to unleash it!

Seriously, though, once you get to know your brakes, you'll be totally fine with cantilevers.
Old 06-03-11, 08:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol -- not only did I find it in stock, but it was also clearance for $950 because the store felt the components and frame were too cheap to sell for more than the Jake.
Wow. I called SO many bike shops, and I swear to god, I must have heard this exact answer a dozen times: "The Lane? No bike shop is going to have that in stock. That's just a really niche bike, no one buys that style."

And yet, most of the same shops carried plenty of Cross Checks.