Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

GM campaign: "Stop pedaling...start driving"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 08:46 AM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think GM needs some more input on how cyclists feel about this. Totally inappropriate.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2011/10/12/...ving-campaign/
Old 10-12-11, 09:22 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not inappropriate if it sells cars... You may not like the message, but if it sells cars then it has served its purpose. If it doesn't the message will change until they find one that works. In other words a self correcting problem... Something we seem to have forgotten in this land of the perpetually offended.
Old 10-12-11, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cyclists? like we matter.... we are nothing but a subculture to most people.
Old 10-12-11, 09:45 AM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
Not inappropriate if it sells cars... You may not like the message, but if it sells cars then it has served its purpose.
Fair enough, though I do have to disagree that anything that achieves its purpose is appropriate. Taken one step further, if the ad said something along the lines of "Buy a car so you can run cyclists off the road rather than get run off the road yourself," would that be considered appropriate? Legal, sure, and it may even sell cars, but appropriate?
Old 10-12-11, 09:57 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
Fair enough, though I do have to disagree that anything that achieves its purpose is appropriate. Taken one step further, if the ad said something along the lines of "Buy a car so you can run cyclists off the road rather than get run off the road yourself," would that be considered appropriate? Legal, sure, and it may even sell cars, but appropriate?
That's a pretty big leap there, Zephyr.

I think y'all are too thin skinned.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-12-11, 10:42 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not inappropriate if it sells cars... You may not like the message, but if it sells cars then it has served its purpose. If it doesn't the message will change until they find one that works. In other words a self correcting problem... Something we seem to have forgotten in this land of the perpetually offended.
As I stated in my email to them, I just bought a new chevy truck last year, the first chevy I have owned in decades. If they think so little of me as a cyclist, perhaps it will be my last chevy too. Yeah, great sales tool, offend a percentage of your customers because you don't take the time to understand their demographic make-up prior to getting all cutesy.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-12-11, 10:46 AM
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
wow, regardless of the potential message received by some people, that ad is just plain cheesy. GM should be ashamed on multiple levels.
Old 10-12-11, 10:50 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
As I stated in my email to them, I just bought a new chevy truck last year, the first chevy I have owned in decades. If they think so little of me as a cyclist, perhaps it will be my last chevy too. Yeah, great sales tool, offend a percentage of your customers because you don't take the time to understand their demographic make-up prior to getting all cutesy.
Just about anything one says in public (like an ad) will offend someone. For advertising the issue is does it increase sales... If it does, then those who are offended are irrelevant, if it doesn't the ad goes away and those that are offended are still irrelevant... It is a simple fact that even the offended who then decide to never do business with the company who offended them largely change their minds if they really want a product from the company...
Old 10-12-11, 10:50 AM

Bikes: trek D.S. 8.3,2013 Trek Marlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The United States of the Offended.
Old 10-12-11, 11:22 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
more on this parallel thread : in Commuting...
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...rs-onto-Campus

American girls expect to go in the guy's car, on a date.

I bet it's still OK to ride on the rear of the bike rack on a date in Amsterdam.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-12-11 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-12-11, 12:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put Obama on a bike instead of his diesel-hogging busses! I thought he believed in "global warming". GM is after all, ObamaMotors. Laughable.
Old 10-12-11, 12:11 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
I think GM needs some more input on how cyclists feel about this. Totally inappropriate.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2011/10/12/...ving-campaign/
This anti cheap transit policy is a trillion dollar skeleton in GM's closet. This is not the first time GM has attacked non-automotive means of transportation.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/harvey..._b_144154.html

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 10-12-11, 12:15 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just about anything one says in public (like an ad) will offend someone. For advertising the issue is does it increase sales... If it does, then those who are offended are irrelevant, if it doesn't the ad goes away and those that are offended are still irrelevant... It is a simple fact that even the offended who then decide to never do business with the company who offended them largely change their minds if they really want a product from the company...
If I'm irrelevant I guess they won't mind if I purchase my next 30k vehicle from another vendor. Yeah, that's a great way to do business...I'm amazed that we've been in business since 1919 without adopting this brilliant ad strategy!

Hey, if we start ticking off our irrelevant existing and future customers, will the government bail us out too?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-12-11, 12:19 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilliams
The United States of the Offended.
I'm offended by stupidity...which is perhaps why our company has managed to stay in business for the last 90+ years without needing the government to bail us out or our workers to concede to lower pay and benefits, ya think?
Old 10-12-11, 12:22 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe GM isn't as arrogant as some of the advertising gurus in here after all?

Originally Posted by weshigh
GM is backing down pretty hard according to thier twitter. They were taking a lot of crap from this.
https://twitter.com/#!/GM
"Wanted 2 let you know we are making changes to the campaign from this feedback. We didn't mean any offense--our apologies."
"Thanks for recognizing the change! Sorry again for any offense."
"wanted to make sure people knew we were listening! Grateful for social media for the conversation."
over and over and over.
Old 10-12-11, 12:29 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm irrelevant I guess they won't mind if I purchase my next 30k vehicle from another vendor. Yeah, that's a great way to do business...I'm amazed that we've been in business since 1919 without adopting this brilliant ad strategy!

Hey, if we start ticking off our irrelevant existing and future customers, will the government bail us out too?
No I don't expect they will mind you buying a vehicle from another company... assuming that by the time you do, you still care... Its a simple fact that in the US cyclists represent a very small percentage of the population, therefore the possibility of offending them doesn't matter if they are not your target audience. And when one considers that even among cyclists those that integrate cycling into their life to such an extent that they would be offended are less likely than the general populace to have the financial wherewithal to purchase a new vehicle, THEY DON'T REPRESENT MUCH OF THE TARGET MARKET...

So you gripe about the bailout, yet you had no problem buying a vehicle from a company that received that bailout? Either you didn't care that much, or you prove my point that even the offended don't actually let that dictate what the will or will not buy...
Old 10-12-11, 12:44 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
The cyclist does not present much of an income base to GM or their financial division... we should not forget that GM is in the business of making loans.

Those who choose to adopt sustainable living practices like cycling, re-using, and re-cycling who ignore the constant pressure to buy now and pay later are contrary to what business and banks want as it cuts into their profits.

You have to start these kids out early on their road to debt slavery ya know...
Old 10-12-11, 01:06 PM
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
::::sigh:::: Yet another reason for me NOT to buy GM....
Old 10-12-11, 01:13 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Its a simple fact that in the US cyclists represent a very small percentage of the population.
No, that is not a simple fact, unless you define 'cyclist' as only the uber-enthusiasts, as many in here like to do. Consider this:

More than 20 million new bikes were sold in 2000, a record high. Throughout the 1990s, sales averaged more than 16 million bikes per year, including more than 11 million “adult” bicycles. The bicycle industry generated sales totaling $5.89 billion in 2000. More than 5,400 specialty bicycle dealers and 1,000 companies are involved in the manufacture, distribution, and sales of bicycles in the United States."

https://www.bikeleague.org/media/facts/#sold
Think about that for a minute...while many of us, the uber-enthusiasts, may buy new bikes each year (I've been slipping, I haven't bought a new one in two years), most people buy a new bike that lasts them for many years. So at a rate of say 11 million new "adult" bikes a year, with an average life of 10 years, one could make the case that a good 1/3 of the population own and ride bikes...hardly a number that you'd want to discount lightly. Indeed, compare that to the 4.5 million new firearms sold each year....does anyone think gun owners are irrelevant and fair game to offend in their ad campaigns?
Old 10-12-11, 01:14 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HokuLoa
::::sigh:::: Yet another reason for me NOT to buy GM....
Their quality control is enough reason for me.
Old 10-12-11, 01:32 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
Their quality control is enough reason for me.
MY 2010 Silverado has been problem free...but of course that's just anecdotal. Of course no good deed goes unpunished...I give them a chance and their marketing morons piss in my wheaties!
Old 10-12-11, 01:34 PM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyway, I don't believe "offended" is quite the right term anyway. I think "saddened" is probably more appropriate. Keep in mind that less cyclists equates to less trails, less bike paths, less MUPs, etc. I doubt there are many (if any) people on this board who are okay with less places to ride their bike. While obviously this ad alone isn't going to radically change the tide of how many people are ridng bikes, the "stop pedaling, stop driving" mentality is toxic. And to assume that media such as this advertisement does nothing to influence the public's view of bicycles is naive. If the ad doesn't influence anyone, it's not doing a very good job as an advertisement, is it?
Old 10-12-11, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

American girls expect to go in the guy's car, on a date.

I bet it's still OK to ride on the rear of the bike rack on a date in Amsterdam.
True, and I said something along those lines about using that as an excuse not to date girls in college, but something about your phrasing makes me think of 40 year old virgin and the girl not understanding what Steve Carrell meant when he said he wanted to put his bike in her "trunk".

Old 10-12-11, 02:27 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, that is not a simple fact, unless you define 'cyclist' as only the uber-enthusiasts, as many in here like to do. Consider this:

Think about that for a minute...while many of us, the uber-enthusiasts, may buy new bikes each year (I've been slipping, I haven't bought a new one in two years), most people buy a new bike that lasts them for many years. So at a rate of say 11 million new "adult" bikes a year, with an average life of 10 years, one could make the case that a good 1/3 of the population own and ride bikes...hardly a number that you'd want to discount lightly. Indeed, compare that to the 4.5 million new firearms sold each year....does anyone think gun owners are irrelevant and fair game to offend in their ad campaigns?
Owning a bike doesn't make a cyclist... Riding one does. The numbers (Census, ACS, NHTS, etc) indicate most of those bikes spend their time in the garage, before they get sold in a yard sale to someone who will then put them in a new garage. And all of the information indicates that occasional riders number between 5 and 10% of the population. It is unlikely many of those occasional riders would be offended by the GM campaign, since they too likely only view bikes as "recreation". Now those who get offended are likely only those who view bicycles as a means of transportation--in the US that is roughly 0.5%... And a half percent that also show a strong correlation to being lower income... hence not much of the market for new cars...

Oh, and gun owners are routinely the but of jokes/ads much like the GM one... All one has to do is turn on the TV... Don't you know that those that own guns are macho, paranoid rednecks?
Old 10-12-11, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
GM's so stupid,that ad is being talked about in every media source available.......really stupid!

Almost as bad as Lindsay Lohan getting in a fight.......

Free is free......

Come on folks,it's not real,it's made to sell cars.......Do you really think Fruit Loops are good for you also?

Last edited by Booger1; 10-12-11 at 02:51 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.