Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Review: Pedal Force CG2 as a Century bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 10:13 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Review: Pedal Force CG2

I decided to have two bikes that could be used for century events and fitness riding. My other bike is a Soma Double Cross. I had a Lynskey made Titanium bike. This bike was sold earlier this year. The Titanium bike was not up to expectations, the largest frame size was too small, and at 210 lbs, I found some unwanted flex in the frame and fork.

This summer, Pedal Force announced a group -buy on a new generation road bike. The CG2 was advertised with this description “Designed for tackling fast and hard long days in the saddle, the CG2 features a full carbon frame, tapered head tube, BB30 bottom bracket, internal cable routing, and a balanced geometry for a confidence-inspiring ride. It is available in eight sizes so you won't need to compromise on getting the perfect bike fit.” More importantly the Geometry was perfect for me with a 59cm VTT and a 210mm head-tube. So I took the plunge. At $450 for the frame and $100 for the fork, it was not a huge gamble.

When it arrived I was impressed. Very robust and large diameter head-tube, down-tube, BB area and chain-stays. The internal routing of the cabling was super-neat and the over-all quality was excellent. I built it up with my what-works-for-me Shimano 105 & Ultegra triple drivetrain and Velocity A23 rims on 32 hole Shimano hubs. The frame might fit an actual 700x26 size tire, but I’ll be using 700x24 tires on the 23mm wide rims.

I’ve has a chance to complete several rides, including a 105 mile solo ride. My impressions are as follows;

Handling: Great stability using FSA compact bars. I’m also using a Profile Designs Stryke Aero-bars, and the bike remains very stable with excellent control with the aero-bars. I noticed some handling sluggishness at speeds of less than 15 mph. So this is more of a sports-bike than Criterion or Cyclocross racer.

Ride: Putting a big rider on a big frame-size will often produce a complaint ride with some unwanted flex. The ride of the CG2 is generally complaint with an acceptable amount of filtered road feel. The frame has a slightly springy feel that I did not expect, the frame is not cast iron stiff. No unwanted flex, ever. The ride overall is better than the Soma steel bike made of Tange Prestige, and I feel less fatigue on the CG2 at 100 miles than with my prior Titanium or steel bikes. It really is a substantial difference. Is the CG2 as good as the best Carbon bikes from Specialized, Trek or other famous builders? I can’t say, but I have no complaints in the ride comfort of the CG2.

Having said all that, the bike might be too stiff for a light rider on a smaller frame.

Acceleration and maintaining speed: this is what it is all about. The bike has added about 2 mph to the pace of my 60 mile fitness ride. The Aero-bars provide much of that improvement. However, the bike picks up speed with much less effort than my prior bikes. The bike holds speed with less effort also.

People often expect a carbon bike to be excessively expensive or not comfortable enough for longer rides. That might have been true 5 years ago, but carbon fiber is now better designed, provides great performance and is less expensive than expected.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-12-11, 10:57 AM
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice. I came close to getting in on that buy but got the CX2 instead. Working on the build now and waiting for some parts.

I really like my QS3 frame from Pedalforce, really light and fairly stiff. Very similar to a Madone frame but maybe just a little bit softer. I've had the QS3 for almost two years now and other than BB30, I love it. BB30 can be fixed with an adapter for regular BB.

I'll post some CX2 pics soon and a report. I building it up as a commuter w/ fenders and a front disc brake wheel. I would have gone full disc but no tabs on the frame for a rear disc.
Old 10-12-11, 10:57 AM
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting review and your bike looks good! The frame looks like the kissin' cousin of my Litespeed M1. My 61cm bike has the same TT but the HT is 20cm and it doesn't have BB30.

My bike fits a 25mm Conti GP4Season no problem, but I have very low confidence that a 28mm tire would work unless it was small (vs rated size).
Old 10-12-11, 11:06 AM
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike and great review. When a bike hits all the important points for you, then it was meant to be.
Old 10-12-11, 12:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
someone local did the group by and now is selling it do to low funds.I think I may pick it up.Great review bike looks great.
Old 10-12-11, 12:08 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Acceleration and maintaining speed: this is what it is all about. The bike has added about 2 mph to the pace of my 60 mile fitness ride. The Aero-bars provide much of that improvement. However, the bike picks up speed with much less effort than my prior bikes. The bike holds speed with less effort also.
Uhm, no. The aerobars if set up in a truely aero position, and used the whole 60 miles might come close to explaining the 2mph difference ( particularly if you're riding 25mph plus.

Other than the aerobars, there would hardly be a measurable difference between your Lynsky and this bike.

So maybe 1 mph aerobars, .99mph new bike effect, .01mph lighter weight bike.

Oh and don't forget cyclecomputer calibration from bike to bike.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-12-11, 12:34 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

Same drivetrain, wheelset, tires and computer as my Cyclocross bike.

You forgot an important factor, less fatigue on a cyclist during a longer ride.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-12-11 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 12:37 PM
Reasonably Slow...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Uhm, no. The aerobars if set up in a truely aero position, and used the whole 60 miles might come close to explaining the 2mph difference ( particularly if you're riding 25mph plus.

Other than the aerobars, there would hardly be a measurable difference between your Lynsky and this bike.

So maybe 1 mph aerobars, .99mph new bike effect, .01mph lighter weight bike.

This.
Old 10-12-11, 12:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! I built a CG2 using Sram Force.

I am building a 2nd CG2 with Red.

I have logged over 500 miles on the Force equipped version.

I love the ride and the handling.
Old 10-12-11, 01:10 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by markrj
Nice! I built a CG2 using Sram Force.

I am building a 2nd CG2 with Red.

I have logged over 500 miles on the Force equipped version.

I love the ride and the handling.
Yes, I love the ride and handling also. The bike really comes alive with speed, and the balance of the bike is excellent on faster turns. I may build up a CX2 as a wet weather second bike next spring.
Old 10-12-11, 02:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great review!

Due to work I really haven't gotten to ride the CG2 I just built up yet. Looking forward to putting more than five miles on it.
Old 10-12-11, 02:18 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
interesting, and timely

I'm also lookin for a longer ride bike, to compliment my tarmac, but geared to a broader riding terrain, and will be 10 spd triple.
I'll have to check specs on this frame to see how it fits my needs.
Old 10-12-11, 02:44 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by cyclezen
interesting, and timely

I'm also lookin for a longer ride bike, to compliment my tarmac, but geared to a broader riding terrain, and will be 10 spd triple.
I'll have to check specs on this frame to see how it fits my needs.
The triple is working perfectly, but it took a little research and sourcing. The BB30 shell limits the number of cranks that can be used. To use a Shimano crank, I used this adapter, see https://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-bb30-...et-p-2926.html

EDIT, My KCNC BB adapter failed at 2000 miles. My first BB failure ever, however, I'm not sure what caused the failure.

I also added a chain retainer;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-13-12 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-12-11, 02:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The triple is working perfectly, but it took a little research and sourcing. The BB30 shell limits the number of cranks that can be used. To use a Shimano crank.
I've been looking into the Cannondale SL Hollowgram crankset for mine. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Old 10-12-11, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've taken mine out on two longer rides so far, 60 and 40 miles. At 15.8 lbs with a Power Tap rear SL+ it's a few lbs lighter than my other bikes. I notice that every time I start up from a red light or really stomp the pedals on a 12% + grade. I beat my best time up a local climb and was not at all going all out for a Strava segment. Tough to say if it descends better than my Tarmac Comp as that bike excels at that.

I'll be using this bike on at least a few double centuries next year.

Full Sram Red Black
Old 10-12-11, 03:20 PM
Go, Dog. Go!

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team; '11 PedalForce QS3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the informative review. Great looking bike. I own a '11 PedalForce QS3 built up with Force/Red combo. I've ridden it on several 60-63 milers. Really happy with mine too.
Old 10-12-11, 04:10 PM

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very nice bike!! I like!!
Old 10-12-11, 04:12 PM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for the review. As a winter project, I am considering building a CG2 as well in size 58. This would make a great do anything bike.
Do you think 28c tires would fit front and rear?
Thanks again.
Old 10-12-11, 04:22 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Thanks for the review. As a winter project, I am considering building a CG2 as well in size 58. This would make a great do anything bike.
Do you think 28c tires would fit front and rear?
Thanks again.
Fitting a 700x28 would be tight. the front is limited by the brake only. The last picture shows the clearance at the chainstays with a 700x25 Conti Gatorskin. The fit gets tight again at the FD band, with only 3.5mm of clearance. The 700x28 might fit, but with less than 1mm of safety factor.

The ride quality with the 700x25 and the Velocity A23 rim is very, very good. I've now using the Conti Grand Prix 24mm tire, it's better when roads are wet and the ride quality is the same.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-12-11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 04:49 PM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Fitting a 700x28 would be tight. the front is limited by the brake only. The last picture shows the clearance at the chainstays with a 700x25 Conti Gatorskin. The fit gets tight again at the FD band, with only 3.5mm of clearance. The 700x28 might fit, but with less than 1mm of safety factor.

The ride quality with the 700x25 and the Velocity A23 rim is very, very good. I've now using the Conti Grand Prix 24mm tire, it's better when roads are wet and the ride quality is the same.
Thanks. I have a nice road bike and maybe the CX2 would be a better companion with the option of mounting fatter tires for a go anywhere
sort of bike. I like to ride from my house out the park 20 miles away and that means a lot of broken road that beats my road bike up.
My current Look carbon fiber road bike which is fine for what it does on smooth road...is limited to 23mm tires...25c's won't fit and I've tried.

Thanks again and congrats on your build.
Old 10-13-11, 11:23 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by LOGICK ONE
Great review!

Due to work I really haven't gotten to ride the CG2 I just built up yet. Looking forward to putting more than five miles on it.
I'm sure you will enjoy.

Originally Posted by Bostic
I've taken mine out on two longer rides so far, 60 and 40 miles. At 15.8 lbs with a Power Tap rear SL+ it's a few lbs lighter than my other bikes. I notice that every time I start up from a red light or really stomp the pedals on a 12% + grade. I beat my best time up a local climb and was not at all going all out for a Strava segment. Tough to say if it descends better than my Tarmac Comp as that bike excels at that.

I'll be using this bike on at least a few double centuries next year.

Full Sram Red Black
Great looking, and light!

Originally Posted by learnmedia
Thanks for the informative review. Great looking bike. I own a '11 PedalForce QS3 built up with Force/Red combo. I've ridden it on several 60-63 milers. Really happy with mine too.
Pedal Force seem to have many satisfied cyclist using thier frames.

Originally Posted by rangerdavid
very nice bike!! I like!!
Thanks!