Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

how to explain cycling to a non cyclist

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 10:03 PM
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

(NSFW - language)
show them this video

Last edited by CbadRider; 12-01-11 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Added NSFW
Old 11-30-11, 10:12 PM
No, not really.

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, ~2006 Specialized Sequoia, 1999 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll have to show this to Mrs. Cranky.
Old 11-30-11, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
here is the link.

(NSFW - language)

Last edited by CbadRider; 12-01-11 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Added NSFW
Old 11-30-11, 10:13 PM
wkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha
Old 11-30-11, 10:38 PM
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"You are way to thin already....Thank you, but I still have 20 lbs to lose"

Hill-arious!!!!!
Old 12-01-11, 01:18 AM
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think that pretty much describes cyclists. That is why I am a cyclist and not a bike rider.
Old 12-01-11, 02:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a good video for a non-cyclist to watch. All they need is a fan blowing some air in their face, while watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk9t3pAERsM
Old 12-01-11, 08:18 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
(NSFW - language)
show them this video

I am not nuts. I am a "cyclist".

Last edited by CbadRider; 12-01-11 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added NSFW to quote
Old 12-01-11, 08:38 AM
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sonomablue
This is a good video for a non-cyclist to watch. All they need is a fan blowing some air in their face, while watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk9t3pAERsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk9t3pAERsM (fixed)
Old 12-01-11, 09:11 AM
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im Sorry k&k but that video is a good way to have a non cyclist cut their own throat. That was boring as hell.
Old 12-01-11, 09:12 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 2.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dangit! I'm at work and all the hospital computers have blocks on youtube and such. Gotta wait until I get home I reckon.
Old 12-01-11, 09:18 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Ha, but missed the NASCAR mentality of pimping logos, riding in packs, and going nowhere as fast as possible.
Old 12-01-11, 09:29 AM

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol
good one
Old 12-01-11, 09:42 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is great. The dialog is full of win.
Old 12-01-11, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I am a cyclist and agree with bianchi10. This video is lame! Why is it that cyclists(or any other high level sports participant for that matter) think that their sport suffers more than any other? Each sport has it's physical requirements that test the limits of an individual. There's and old saying that goes something like "where great sport begins, good health ends." That applies to any physical sport at a high level.
Old 12-01-11, 09:59 AM
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I am a cyclist and agree with bianchi10. This video is lame! Why is it that cyclists(or any other high level sports participant for that matter) think that their sport suffers more than any other? Each sport has it's physical requirements that test the limits of an individual. There's and old saying that goes something like "where great sport begins, good health ends." That applies to any physical sport at a high level.
Except golf.
Old 12-01-11, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mpath
Except golf.
Golf at the competitive level has it's physical tests just like any other sport. Although, I would like to do the tour for a year just for the experiences. Hitting hundreds maybe thousands of balls a day during the offseason with your hands bleeding through the blisters and sores. And if it is raining, you still have to practice and play. With the lack of upper body muscle mass in competitive cyclists this might be extremely difficult. I remember reading about Emmit Smith complaining about how tired and worn out he was after playing in a tournament where he had to play for 4 days and walk. He thought it would be a walk in the park but was totally shocked at the different fitness it required. And this was while he was still an active player! Different sports require different needs. I've never wrestled or boxed but those two look extremely difficult. Competitive badminton is a very physically demanding sport. Any sport at the competitive level is.

Back to the golf, think about how miserable your hands get while riding in the rain. Oh wait, I forgot that riding gloves have to be worn for padding. Golfer's might wear a glove for grip purposes. In the rain, the grips combined with wet soft skin can take the skin right off your hands quickly!. It can peel right off.

Last edited by seypat; 12-01-11 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 10:39 AM
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by K&K_Dad

that's not cycling, that's MUPing.
Old 12-01-11, 10:42 AM
wkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Golf at the competitive level has it's physical tests just like any other sport. Although, I would like to do the tour for a year just for the experiences. Hitting hundreds maybe thousands of balls a day during the offseason with your hands bleeding through the blisters and sores. And if it is raining, you still have to practice and play. With the lack of upper body muscle mass in competitive cyclists this might be extremely difficult. I remember reading about Emmit Smith complaining about how tired and worn out he was after playing in a tournament where he had to play for 4 days and walk. He thought it would be a walk in the park but was totally shocked at the different fitness it required. And this was while he was still an active player! Different sports require different needs. I've never wrestled or boxed but those two look extremely difficult. Competitive badminton is a very physically demanding sport. Any sport at the competitive level is.
Um, no. Not really at all. Golf places almost no demand on the upper body (you're supposed to let the club do the work, not hit it like a baseball). Yes, you can get blisters on your hands, but that's still pretty hard to do - you'd have to have baby soft hands and play for like 6 hours multiple days in a row.

And as for the walking aspect. Psh. Yeah, if you don't ever walk around with extra weight on your back you are going to be sore the next day. Walking 18 with a bag multiple days in a row is a pain in the ass, but it's really not that bad and it's not like any random person (who isn't overweight/obese) can't do it.
Old 12-01-11, 10:53 AM
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wkg
Um, no. Not really at all. Golf places almost no demand on the upper body (you're supposed to let the club do the work, not hit it like a baseball). Yes, you can get blisters on your hands, but that's still pretty hard to do - you'd have to have baby soft hands and play for like 6 hours multiple days in a row.

And as for the walking aspect. Psh. Yeah, if you don't ever walk around with extra weight on your back you are going to be sore the next day. Walking 18 with a bag multiple days in a row is a pain in the ass, but it's really not that bad and it's not like any random person (who isn't overweight/obese) can't do it.
Not to Get totally off subject here but you know nothing about golfing if this is what you think. I played competitively all through high school and part of college and let me tell you golf is hard on the hands. Much of the physical part of golf stems from your core. You dont let the club do the work, its about your stance and swing. Most Importantly it is about having a consistent swing. The only way to have a consistent swing is if you Practice for hours a day hitting hundreds of golf balls. Go hit 200 golf balls and then tell me what muscles are sore.
Old 12-01-11, 10:57 AM
wkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
Go hit 200 golf balls and then tell me what muscles are sore.
Dude I do this all the time. In peak season I go out and hit two big buckets (about 250) at the range once or twice a week.
Old 12-01-11, 11:00 AM
wkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I'm not going to sit here and argue with you about how to hit properly (those are arguments are worse than most cycling arguments) but what I mean by "you're supposed to let the club do the work" is that most people naturally want to put way too much force into the ball by accelerating the club with their arm muscles when in reality they would hit much farther and straighter by simply slowing their swing down and not trying to kill the ball. Basic stuff.
Old 12-01-11, 11:12 AM
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotcha. That makes more sense.
Old 12-01-11, 11:22 AM
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Golf at the competitive level has it's physical tests just like any other sport.....
Ok. Just like Nascar drivers - all athletes, the lot of them.
Old 12-01-11, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by wkg
Dude I do this all the time. In peak season I go out and hit two big buckets (about 250) at the range once or twice a week.
That's not competitive golf, that's recreational golf. Try hitting 10 of those buckets 5 to 7 days a week rain or shine. Then moving to the sand area and doing the same thing. Go eat some lunch and play eighteen. After that it's on the practice green for 2 hours stroking putt, after putt, after putt. Then you have to put your time in at the gym just like any other sport. It's a full time job just like any other profession.

I'll say it again, if a person has not competed in a sport above the recreational level, particularly if they are at the mercy of a coaching staff, they have no idea of what a grind it is. That goes for any sport. I played basketball at the collegiate level. I came into preseason practices one year in what I thought was good shape. 3 a day workouts/2-2.5 hrs each. A week and a half later I had lost 19lbs despite eating as much food as I could muster in the morning and lunch meals. We could not keep any thing down during the evening meals except for liquids and even then we would be still be puking. After we went to the evening meal we had to go lift weights 3/days a week. Then after that we had to go to the track and jog/run 3 miles each night. I would go into my dorm room, set my alarm for the next morning, and go to sleep. I starting urinating blood that week because of the strain on my body. I have never done anything as physically demanding since, that comes close to that preseason.

And if you think my story is unique, there are probably hundreds just like it out there in every sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.