Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What so bad about stem shifters??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love old steel bikes (even new steel bikes for that matter). I see alot of bar end shifters and even down tube shifters, which seem really dangerous imho, but it seems that stem shifters are seen as unbearably low end. What is the difference, isn't a friction shifter a friction shifter, and what is so bad about stem shifters?
Old 01-18-12, 04:41 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,454 Times in 1,430 Posts
There's nothing wrong with them at all. Folks who ride high end bikes look down on them and come up with reasons to dislike them, but it's only because they came on low end bikes. They never came on high end bikes. All of the technical explanations are untrue. They're fine.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 01-18-12, 04:47 PM
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Tom hit it on the head. They shift fine. It's just that it's a sign of a low end bike that usually has low end components. IMO, said components usually require more attention to keep them shifting well.
Likes For frpax:
Old 01-18-12, 04:58 PM

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
I think there was also some concern, back in the day, about the safety of having pointy metal things at approximately crotch level. I may be mis-remembering things though.
Old 01-18-12, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
They are uber dangerous! They will impale you if you stop short. I read it on the internet.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 01-18-12 at 05:04 PM.
Likes For ColonelJLloyd:
Old 01-18-12, 05:03 PM
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I feared the same thing, so I changed out my stem with a rubber spongy stem. I feel so safe now.

If you ride upright, stem shifters are the shizzle.
Likes For David Newton:
Old 01-18-12, 05:03 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
You can also blame it on period bicycling magazines/publications whose writers also pooh-poohed such components and added theories like "slower, less precise shifting action due to more cable legnth and housing flex"...........but they still find bar end shifters to be a great thing for some reason.
Only time I could really see a negative situation with stem shifters is when one might want to try riding more on the drops. The position of the shifter will make it more difficult to do shifts as you wil have to bend your arms clumsily to do the shift from the drops. Otherwise, when riding at more upright positions, such as on the hoods or top of the bars, it works pretty well.

Chombi
Likes For Chombi:
Old 01-18-12, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
They were popularized right along with turkey wings during the bike boom, because a lot of newbie riders couldn't really make the transition from riding upright to the drops, and thus they needed the controls on top.
Old 01-18-12, 05:09 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They are just as bad as the black door handles that aren't painted to match cars....they function just fine but they are a symbol that you're driving (riding) a base model.
Old 01-18-12, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the stemmies came on low end bikes originally and need more maintenance to work well? I could see the maintenance aspect as undesirable considering that one the main reasons to use friction shifters is the "set and forget" ability of them.

Also, I never stopped short enough to impale myself on something on the handlebars but have stopped short enough to impale myself on the road...
Old 01-18-12, 05:12 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I have a slightly different take on this. What they say is true, but there are a few issues. Stem shifters require a second section of housing compared to DT shifters. This can add some friction, and the compressibility of the housing decreses shifting precision. This was a worse problem in the old days when housings weren't as good as today's Jagwire housing. Of course too, this is no different from bar-end shifters and some people really like them. In any case, DT shifters are wonderfully direct.

Some people argue that large shift levers on the stem can be dangerous in an accident. Going over the bar is bad enough that you don't want the added harm of being gouged by them. But you could argue that if go over the bars you're screwed anyway.

Finally, I always felt like shifting stem shifters affected steering. With DT shifters you have to take one hand off the bars so you use core muscles to hold your body stable, but you push or pull on something fixed to the frame. If you shift bar-ends your hands are anchored to the bars all through the operation. But to shift stem shifters you remove one hand from the bar and push a lever than can torque the steering to one side or the other without you being able to counter it. That's just my opinion (but I'm sticking to it (at least for the time being)).
Old 01-18-12, 05:46 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
you will have to bend your arms clumsily to do the shift from the drops.

Chombi
+1 Not on a race bike. Then there's the aesthetics...
Old 01-18-12, 05:51 PM

Bikes: 1988 Miyata 615, 1985 Team Miyata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've also heard the crouch-gouging argument against stem shifters and I have to say that at first it was rather compelling, in a visceral sort of way. But the way I figure it, if you're in a situation where your crouch is careening at high speed toward the stem, you're going to get mangled, whether it's by shifters or the corner of the stem itself. I've been sent forward lightly into the corner of my stem a couple of times and wouldn't want to repeat the experience in fast forward.
Likes For jar351:
Old 01-18-12, 05:57 PM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I aint never had a problem with them. My first road bikes, which were 'bike boom' bikes back in the 70's were all stem shifters. I thought they were rather cool. When I got my first DT shifter road bike I thought it was kinda odd. I had to relearn how to shift and how to orientate myself on the bike without losing my line. Of course I was a lot younger back then.
Old 01-18-12, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I rode with them back in days of yore, and now I can no longer have children. Does that answer your question?
Old 01-18-12, 06:18 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,571 Times in 3,767 Posts
Originally Posted by QStorm
...even down tube shifters, which seem really dangerous imho
Down tube shifters aren't dangerous, ATMO.

Old 01-18-12, 06:29 PM
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by QStorm
So the stemmies came on low end bikes originally and need more maintenance to work well? I could see the maintenance aspect as undesirable considering that one the main reasons to use friction shifters is the "set and forget" ability of them.
If you upgrade to better/nicer derailleurs & some good quality cables & housing (like Jagwire or other quality stuff), then the mainenance issue all but goes away.
Old 01-18-12, 06:32 PM
Steel is real, baby!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
As for affecting steering, I think bar end shifters affect steering more than stem shifters. The affect is minimal at the stem.
Old 01-18-12, 06:36 PM

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,742 Times in 631 Posts
Nothing is wrong with stem shifters. As for quality and maintence issues there really aren't any on a better set. A lot of the 70's and 80's DT and stem shifters where basically the same they where just mounted in different places. The issue is the are as said assiociated with lower end bikes and often used by C&V guys as quick way to spot lesser bikes in ads or at a distance.
Old 01-18-12, 06:42 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I converted the down-tube shifter to a stem shifter on my Takara.

Old 01-18-12, 06:45 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,454 Times in 1,430 Posts
BTW, I just got rid of my last set of DT shifters. My Super Course has upright bars, at least for the time being, and I installed my first set of ratchet thumb shifters. They're very nice, though I'm still reaching towards the down tube from time to time. Funny. But I'm old enough to do without DT shifters now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-18-12, 06:58 PM
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
My Nishiki International came with them in the early 70's and I was fully prepared to hate them. They were SunTour Power Shifters, coupled to a SunTour derailleur. They worked flawlessly and I grew to like them, at least until I discovered bar end shifters.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 01-18-12, 07:02 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
BTW, I just got rid of my last set of DT shifters. My Super Course has upright bars, at least for the time being, and I installed my first set of ratchet thumb shifters. They're very nice, though I'm still reaching towards the down tube from time to time. Funny. But I'm old enough to do without DT shifters now.
That's an automatic minus 5 mph for you then!

Chombi
Old 01-18-12, 07:09 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
They were popularized right along with turkey wings during the bike boom, because a lot of newbie riders couldn't really make the transition from riding upright to the drops, and thus they needed the controls on top.
This!
Old 01-18-12, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I have a slightly different take on this. What they say is true, but there are a few issues. Stem shifters require a second section of housing compared to DT shifters. This can add some friction, and the compressibility of the housing decreses shifting precision. This was a worse problem in the old days when housings weren't as good as today's Jagwire housing. Of course too, this is no different from bar-end shifters and some people really like them. In any case, DT shifters are wonderfully direct.

Some people argue that large shift levers on the stem can be dangerous in an accident. Going over the bar is bad enough that you don't want the added harm of being gouged by them. But you could argue that if go over the bars you're screwed anyway.

Finally, I always felt like shifting stem shifters affected steering. With DT shifters you have to take one hand off the bars so you use core muscles to hold your body stable, but you push or pull on something fixed to the frame. If you shift bar-ends your hands are anchored to the bars all through the operation. But to shift stem shifters you remove one hand from the bar and push a lever than can torque the steering to one side or the other without you being able to counter it. That's just my opinion (but I'm sticking to it (at least for the time being)).
I'm a nervous nellie, and I don't like shifting my weight toward the centerline of the bike. This makes me fear the wobbles. For that reason, I don't like stem shifters, and downtube shifters are kind of the same, but I think DT shifters look cool--totally arbitrary taste thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.