Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folding front platform

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Folding front platform

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 08:57 PM
weirdo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Folding front platform

I just finished (except a little more cleanup and some paint) building myself a front mini platform for my Pocket Llama and wanted to throw it up here for Show N Tell. A few years back I built a similar rack for my tourer/commuter and it`s been awesome, so it was the first thing I did for my folder. The original is fixed, but I made this one fold for ease of packing. The bag in the pics is some kind of video or camera bag that I got from the thrift shop, stripped the shoulder strap, and added a pair of Lone Peak pannier clips to keep it in place.

My folding rack mounts via two 5mm bolts into a band clamped around the lower stem and an eye that the riser clamp bolt goes through. The band clamp uses a piece of inner tube to keep it from slipping and will stay on the bike permanently. The rest of the rack can be quickly removed or installed as needed. The weight turned out to be more than I had hoped, but I guess that`s life. Total weight for the rack, plus band and screws is 426g/15.0 oz. The part that stays on the bike amounts to 53g of that total, so not too bad there. In comparison, Nitto Mark`s Rack runs "11 to 13" ounces and the VO claims "~250g" for their Pass Hunter, but I don`t think that includes hardware. Anyway, weight aside, I`m pretty happy with it. Oh, yeah- I did end up with one part visibly crooked, but I ain`t telling what it is, and I made sure not to let the camera look straight at it

Next in line is a folding rear rack, similar to the BF folding rack, but much lower. Since I don`t plan to carry panniers with mine, it`ll sit about an inch above the top of my 2.0 Big Apples. For touring purposes, I decided to just buy the take apart front pannier rack directly from Green Gear. It will do a fine job just like they designed it, and it would take me mega hours to build on my own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN2788.jpg (42.6 KB, 27 views)
DSCN2792.jpg (66.4 KB, 32 views)
DSCN2795.jpg (56.5 KB, 27 views)
DSCN2791.jpg (62.1 KB, 35 views)
DSCN2796.jpg (84.9 KB, 28 views)
DSCN2797.jpg (74.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 04-08-12, 04:51 AM

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great looking rack.