Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Pedals + Toe Clips/Straps Recommendations

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

This sexy beast will soon be mine: https://www.masibikes.com/bikes/fixed...-uno-drop-2012

Obviously, it needs a new set of pedals with clips or pedal straps. I just have two questions to throw out there for discussion and recommendation:

1) Should I go with clips or with pedal straps (like these YNOT ones which look pretty awesome: https://www.ynotcycle.com/products/pedal-straps/)? I have toe clips on my dedicated path bike, but I'll be using my new Masi for commuting mainly, and I'm thinking that the pedal straps may be less secure, but definitely more comfortable and less rough on my shoes. Also, before anybody recommends, I'm not going for clipless pedals - I don't want to have a pair of biking shoes just to commute.

2) I've done plenty of searching, and these pedals are highly recommended: https://www.retro-gression.com/produc...n-track-pedals However, I was thinking something a bit smoother and more platform like, something like this: https://www.danscomp.com/products/465...nsealed).html# Not sure if anybody has had experience with any of these pedals, but maybe you could throw some other recommendations at me.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-12, 07:34 AM
old legs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Retrogression pedal straps (he's out of stock ATM) with the Animal PC pedal they are cheaper lighter and in truth last almost as long. it you are going to use straps the poly carbonate pedals are easier on the material

and I quit running clipless for much the same reason
Old 09-08-12, 10:30 AM
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use MKS GR-9s and clips with All City doubles. Though if I was purchasing today, I'd probably go with the Urban Platform and Wellgo double clips. I used BMX pedals and straps for a while, but it can be a pain in the ass to get into the pedal from time to time. They felt great while I was riding though.

Oh, and my next major purchase will be a set of Shimano SPD pedals and DZR shoes. You can have it both ways.
Old 09-08-12, 10:59 AM
old legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Urban Platform and Wellgo double clips are my spring change as well
Old 09-08-12, 11:48 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by superdoo
1) Should I go with clips or with pedal straps (like these YNOT ones which look pretty awesome: https://www.ynotcycle.com/products/pedal-straps/)?

2) I've done plenty of searching, and these pedals are highly recommended: https://www.retro-gression.com/produc...n-track-pedals However, I was thinking something a bit smoother and more platform like, something like this: https://www.danscomp.com/products/465...nsealed).html# Not sure if anybody has had experience with any of these pedals, but maybe you could throw some other recommendations at me.
I'd go for toe clips, personally. Those "Animal" pedals are butt-ugly. If you want something more platform-like, why not the new MKS "Urban" pedals?

Old 09-08-12, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although the Urban's look and probably feel great, I'm hard pressed to spend double what Sylvans/GR9s would cost.
Old 09-08-12, 12:25 PM
old legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can't use straps with Urbans they are a clips only pedal.
Old 09-08-12, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xgecko
Orly?
Originally Posted by misskaz
I made you guys an Instagram.

Old 09-08-12, 12:41 PM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They look like they have slots for the metal toe clip and slots for the strap. Can you explain why not. I'd like to get a set of these for my bike so I have more options to use my light hiking shoes with agressive soles.

what about these? MKS Urban Platform pedals in silver:
Attached Images
File Type: gif
mksgr9pedal.gif (43.7 KB, 54 views)
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 09-08-12, 01:23 PM
old legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but the OP was asking about this kind of strap, not clips and double straps

there isn't a place to comfortably or safely fit them on these

at least according to Scrod when I asked him
Old 09-08-12, 02:11 PM
Goes to 11.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You probably could with a pair of needlenose pliers and some long bolts for the front, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to.
Old 09-08-12, 02:13 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Hogwash!

Originally Posted by TheRealFaux
Although the Urban's look and probably feel great, I'm hard pressed to spend double what Sylvans/GR9s would cost.
They also have sealed cartridge bearings and will most likely last forever.

But yeah, velcro-type straps aren't very compatible with them.
Old 09-08-12, 03:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GR-9's + MKS clip + exustar doubles cut to singles (my current setup)

MKS Sylvan Tracks + Velcro straps (my former setup, and my wife's current setup)

Both are pretty solid, but the MKS sylvans can get uncomfortable.
Old 09-09-12, 07:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I think if I'm going to go the toe clip route, it'll be GR-9s + MKS clips and straps. If I'm going to go the pedal strap route (like these YNOT ones: https://www.ynotcycle.com/products/pedal-straps/) then it'll be those + https://www.danscomp.com/products/465...nsealed).html#

Anyway, just two other questions:

1) Has anybody had experience with your feet slipping forward in toe straps? I think the main benefit to toe clips would be that your foot cannot push further forward than the cage allows.

2) What size is the threading on the crank arms on that Masi in the first post? 9/16"? Some pedals have options for 1/2", not sure if there's some kind of consistency to the sizing based on the type of bike or crank...

Thanks!
Old 09-09-12, 07:55 AM
eyeomegasquared

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

and I quit running clipless for much the same reason
Are there not any clipless shoes that are comfortable to wear walking around all day?

Old 09-09-12, 08:29 AM
Goes to 11.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your feet will not move forward in the pedals regardless of what style pedal you have. The benefit on the street of toe clips + straps is that it's easier to adjust them, which means you can get a secure fit no matter what kind of shoes you're wearing. Not so with those YNOT straps, as they require a good deal more adjustment to make a secure fit.

However.

When using straps on a fixed gear, it's less about your foot sliding forward or backward through a pedal stroke than being able to properly resist against the pedal when slowing down or stopping. To that effect, the YNOT straps will not slip. Ever. They won't stretch nearly as much either. You can allow yourself to leave them a little loose because there's more surface to spread the load against your foot, and you don't have to worry about snapping the strap because you're suddenly increasing the tension on them by 10-20x.

How important is this on the street? Not very. Unless you're tricking a lot, either setup will do the job.
Old 09-09-12, 09:09 AM
old legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eyeomegasquared
Are there not any clipless shoes that are comfortable to wear walking around all day?
not that I have tried. I really like Lake spd shoes and have a set along with my eggbeater for if I know I'm gonna spend the day in the saddle. But its been a year since I have switched them out and I have done more than a handful of all day rides. On the other hand I have worn out 2 pairs of slip on Vans and a set of Samba's in that time which in total cost me about what my Lakes did....

Last edited by Xgecko; 09-09-12 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-09-12, 09:12 AM
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by eyeomegasquared
DZR shoes are very comfortable.
Old 09-09-12, 09:20 AM
old legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take that back I have tried DRZ's nice on the feet but the ones I tried hit the plate in my ankle and made my foot numb

Last edited by Xgecko; 09-09-12 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-09-12, 09:21 AM
eyeomegasquared

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
DZR shoes are very comfortable.
Nice. Bookmarked.

Old 09-09-12, 09:24 AM
eyeomegasquared

not that I have tried. I really like Lake spd shoes and have a set along with my eggbeater for if I know I'm gonna spend the day in the saddle. But its been a year since I have switched them out and I have done more than a handful of all day rides. On the other hand I have worn out 2 pairs of slip on Vans and a set of Samba's in that time which in total cost me about what my Lakes did....
I've only tried Shimano shoes. They've been OK for short walks off the bike, but I wouldn't want to walk around the city for hours with them. I'll have to take a look at Lake shoes. I just like the feel of clipless on a fixed gear a lot more than toe clips.

Old 09-09-12, 05:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by striknein
Your feet will not move forward in the pedals regardless of what style pedal you have. The benefit on the street of toe clips + straps is that it's easier to adjust them, which means you can get a secure fit no matter what kind of shoes you're wearing. Not so with those YNOT straps, as they require a good deal more adjustment to make a secure fit.

However.

When using straps on a fixed gear, it's less about your foot sliding forward or backward through a pedal stroke than being able to properly resist against the pedal when slowing down or stopping. To that effect, the YNOT straps will not slip. Ever. They won't stretch nearly as much either. You can allow yourself to leave them a little loose because there's more surface to spread the load against your foot, and you don't have to worry about snapping the strap because you're suddenly increasing the tension on them by 10-20x.

How important is this on the street? Not very. Unless you're tricking a lot, either setup will do the job.
Thanks for this. I'm a beginner fixed-gear rider (other two bikes are geared), so I wasn't really sure how to go. I think I'll be doing the toe straps instead of the clips because I have an admittedly large shoe collection (I'd prefer just to velcro the straps tight to whatever I'm wearing for the best fit). This also plays into why I don't want to do clipless, even though apparently you can find some fresh-ass biking shoes :b
Old 09-09-12, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigglyPuff
GR-9's + MKS clip + exustar doubles cut to singles (my current setup)

MKS Sylvan Tracks + Velcro straps (my former setup, and my wife's current setup)

Both are pretty solid, but the MKS sylvans can get uncomfortable.
Any pics of the cut doubles? Was thinking of doing the same with my doubles to fit my mks singles for my urban platforms.
Old 09-09-12, 08:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, but maybe I'll post some later.

If you're careful and use the right blade, it'll come out neat and clean. I'm not the only one who's done it with good results.

Word on the street is you can still use doubles with single clips, just loop the second strap over the clip.
Old 09-10-12, 07:43 AM
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by denske
Any pics of the cut doubles? Was thinking of doing the same with my doubles to fit my mks singles for my urban platforms.
Why not just use the doubles like Kaz posted above? It's not rocket science, I promise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.