Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone riding a Ramble by Civilian Bikes?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 02:16 PM

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2008 SE Lager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I stumbled upon the Rambler by Civilian and can envision it as a single speed commuter--looks like a beautiful bike overall, and with a nice price. Haven't heard much regarding Civilian, so I thought I'd inquire here. Anyone seen one out and about/ridden one? Any feedback appreciated, I'm very curious.

https://www.ridecvln.com/bikes/ramble2/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ASP_D2.jpg (53.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-17-13, 06:20 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Don't know them.
The bars look weird to me but a lot of people use that sort of bar so I guess they work - I feel they should be the other way up but I'm past reaching down for bars now.
I'm a little concerned that the frame material is just 'steel' - that could be anything from waterpipe to something you'd find in a high end bike ... but if it's not branded, it's more likely to be more humble stock.
Kenda tyres are a suggestion that this isn't an expensively optioned bike - the Tektros are a very good brake but there aren't many out there to do that job so I wouldn't take them as suggesting much about the rest of the bike.
Nicely thought out bike though ... once the chain guard falls off (clear plastic is not going to remain clear very long, especially if you use oil rather than wax on your chain or you ride through a puddle).

Dunno mate. Could be good, could be a shocker. Looks nice though.
Old 09-17-13, 08:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Don't know them.
The bars look weird to me but a lot of people use that sort of bar so I guess they work - I feel they should be the other way up but I'm past reaching down for bars now.
I'm a little concerned that the frame material is just 'steel' - that could be anything from waterpipe to something you'd find in a high end bike ... but if it's not branded, it's more likely to be more humble stock.
Kenda tyres are a suggestion that this isn't an expensively optioned bike - the Tektros are a very good brake but there aren't many out there to do that job so I wouldn't take them as suggesting much about the rest of the bike.
Nicely thought out bike though ... once the chain guard falls off (clear plastic is not going to remain clear very long, especially if you use oil rather than wax on your chain or you ride through a puddle).

Dunno mate. Could be good, could be a shocker. Looks nice though.
Thanks for the response. Did a bit more research and found that the tubing is Hi-Ten steel. Found a few sparse reviews which say that it gives a smooth, stable ride--probably the best you can hope for with a complete bike at this price point.

The wishbone seat stay is interesting...that combined with the Hi-Ten probably doesn't make for the lightest bike, but that's not really a concern for me.

Anyone else?
Old 09-17-13, 10:03 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If it's hi-ten, I'd ignore it. Cro-mo will give a better ride for less weight. Even the terms 'cro-mo' and 'butted cro-mo' are mis-leading because those terms cover a wide range of tube sets.

To be honest, I'd start with a nice, cro-mo frame with road geometry (lots around) then visit the Velo-orange site to start building your bike using this one as inspiration. Sure, it'll cost more, but you don't have to do it all in one hit, just get a working bike and upgrade bits as you can afford them.
Old 09-17-13, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Seen several people locally racing their ss cross bike. Seems pretty neat.
Old 09-18-13, 12:43 AM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
It looks neat but likely weighs a ton.
Old 09-18-13, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Considering its obvious intended purpose, does weight or which steel mean very much on a bike like this? Especially since if you are the right size you can pick one up from Competitive Cyclist/Backcountry/Dept of Goods for only $280?
Old 09-18-13, 06:14 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Considering its obvious intended purpose, does weight or which steel mean very much on a bike like this? Especially since if you are the right size you can pick one up from Competitive Cyclist/Backcountry/Dept of Goods for only $280?
The type of steel is important. Better quality steel will last longer, join better, and, most importantly, ride better. Once you own a bike, you're stuck with its faults. Better bikes (material, design, workmanship) will provide a springy, lively feel over rough suburban roads. Low end and hi-ten bikes will be dead over those same roads and not only more uncomfortable as a result, but harder to ride. It's something I never really understood until I got really good quality bikes.

Weight is a different issue in that the extra weight in a frame is likely to be only a small part of the whole package but just as extra weight in the rim of a wheel will give that wheel greater inertia making it harder to accelerate, a heavier frame will behave more like a truck than a sports car ie, it'll be less pleasurable to ride.

Like everything, you get what you pay for. If you pay peanuts, you get a waterpipe frame with low life expectancy and a spiritless ride. The frame alone of my Hillbrick cost me over $1,500 dollars, but it was hand made by an artisan out of Columbus Zona tubing. You don't have to go to that extent, I was pretty sure of what I wanted and part of the design brief was for Paul to build me a bike that'd last me until I die. The trick is to work out what you want and/or need, then price it. I couldn't afford my Hillbrick at the time but was lucky enough to get a generous tax return, I certainly couldn't buy her now. For this reason, be realistic about your budget and plan how you're going to make this bike last for the length of time you want it to. You'd be a mug to pay $5,000 for a bike you'll leave chained in the street ... but equally, you'd be a mug to pay $200 for a bike you'll ride 30kms each way, every day for the next decade. Only you can make those decisions.

Lots to think about mate. My experience is that if you need to ask, 'which of these three or four should I look at?', you don't know enough about your requirements or situation to make a decision but keep worrying at it, you'll reach a point where you know exactly what you want and which bike will fill your needs.
Old 09-18-13, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big thanks to all for the input.

I currently use an old HiTen Fuji Special Road Racer, converted to SS, as my do-it-all commuter bike, and weight hasn't been a huge issue for me. I go about 10 miles round trip--short enough to look for a value, long enough to appreciate a solid, smooth ride. Roads I use are in fine condition.

I've had my heart set on a Raleigh One Way since the 2008 British green colorway, but I was sad to find that it was discontinued in 2011. Finding a used/NOS model in 57cm is proving to be a challenge. For not a lot more money, the One Way drags this bicycle through the mud...just trying to decide whether I want to settle or not! The Ramble doesn't need to last a lifetime, but I'd like it to be my go-to bicycle until I can afford to dish out a bit more cash (or stumble upon that One Way...).

Any additional thoughts are appreciated.
Old 09-18-13, 12:13 PM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
It should be fine. If you're comfortable about the frame material then get it if you like it. My POS Fuji weighs 40lbs but I love riding it.
Old 10-10-13, 11:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
FYI: Competitive Cyclists charges a $99 shipping just for this bike because, as their customer service representative told me recently, it has horizontal dropouts. So for "liability" reasons, they have to ship the bike FULLY ASSEMBLED. What a load of B.S.! I'd say that for $280 it would make a nice grocery-getter, but for $379? Not so much.
Old 10-14-13, 02:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Checking in on this thread...decided to go ahead and spring for the bike as a new, more upright commuter. I ordered via Department of Goods and qualified for free freight shipping, so I got the bike at the listed price of just $279 and change. It arrived within a week of order placement in a HUGE shipping carton, because as lunacycle states, it must be shipped fully assembled. I swapped out a few components, fine-tuned and greased up the proper bits before taking it out. I love it: