Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why do you prefer steel frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why do you prefer steel frames

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 11:32 AM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlug
I'm sure I've never heard of a carbon frame simply folding up like a beach chair while being ridden.
I really didn't chime in here to bash CF. The thread title is "Why do you prefer steel frames"(?) and I answered initially without mentioning other materials. It wasn't until you brought up the Crumpton that I felt the failure mode of CF and the possibly higher failure rate of extraordinarily light CF frames should be mentioned. I concede that CF construction methods have improved, and that elongation has slowly crept up from 1%-2% to ~3%, but that's still awfully brittle so that the catastrophic failure mode remains. In fact, all CF manufacturers specifically warn about the failure mode of CF and how it differs from ductile (higher elongation) metals like steel, titanium, and aluminum.

Originally Posted by TREK "Proper Carbon Fiber Care and Maintenance"
Unlike metal parts, carbon fiber parts that have been damaged usually do not bend, bulge or deform; they break. A damaged carbon part may appear normal at a quick glance, but could suddenly fail without warning. Carbon forks, handlebars and stems are most critical.
Here are three examples of CF frame failures, and all three were sudden and catastrophic and from the descriptions, were caused by minor road hazards (small rock, shallow pothole, etc.).

Here’s the story on the Scott CR1 Team:
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/320405-safety-issue-help-required.html

Here’s the story on the Pinarello Prince:
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=158543

Another Pinarello.

Here’s the story on the Giant TCR
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/451756-carbon-explosion-crashed-my-tcr.html

I understand that these photos and descriptions don't prove anything, but there are enough of these combined with the known failure mode of the material to cause me, personally, to avoid riding CF bikes until there's a significant improvement in elongation.

Just my $.02. YMMV.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 09-23-13 at 11:34 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-23-13, 11:41 AM

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
i like steel because of its straight-forward-minimal-classy-sharp-no-bull-**** aesthetics.
i like steel because i feel less guilty messing around it—sanding and repainting and polishing and buffing rust and so on.
Old 09-23-13, 12:54 PM
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Your discussion of uber-light carbon frames and their potential for failure is the very same reason why I chose my Colnago C59.

While not the lightest CF around, one look at its beefy construction tells you that the C59 is a CF bike built to safely transport its rider without compromising on performance.
An excellent point.

https://www.colnago.com/materials/

Originally Posted by Colnago website
Colnago and Frame Weight

The weight of the frame is a detail which is pushing unsafe products into the marketplace. The often unreliable and inconsistent traditional manufacturing process with carbon can produce end-products with often suspect yield and fatigue strength. Circumstances can lead inferior frames to not only crack, but can result in catastrophic failure without warning. Many processes used to lighten frame weight are simply not proven to be reliable. With technological application, it is possible to see frames in the marketplace with weights between 700g and 800g. These frames can be tempting to the consumer looking for the lightweight advantage. Colnago believes in a limit of 1000g. It is simply not worth sacrificing handling, safety and reliability for the negligible advantage of a few grams of static frame weight.

my bikes

Last edited by Scooper; 09-23-13 at 12:59 PM. Reason: rermoved multiple asterisks in text.
Old 09-23-13, 01:39 PM
one life on two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I don't care if steel is lighter or heavier than carbon fiber

I don't care if it is easier to repair than other materials because honestly, I'm not going to bother with the repair, I'll just replace the frame

I don't care how "cheap" it is, I've paid plenty for some of my frames

I like how they look, but I've seen beautiful bikes made of other materials

Yet for some unknown reason to myself, I do prefer steel over other bike materials
Old 09-23-13, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Scooper, thanks for the link to the Colnago website. I had considered a Bianchi Oltre instead of the C59, but when I saw the ridiculously thin seat and chain stays I demurred and went with the C59.

I will be in San Francisco early in November to visit my daughters. I will probably bring the C59 and test it against SF's hilly streets.
Old 09-23-13, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I really didn't chime in here to bash CF. The thread title is "Why do you prefer steel frames"(?) and I answered initially without mentioning other materials. It wasn't until you brought up the Crumpton that I felt the failure mode of CF and the possibly higher failure rate of extraordinarily light CF frames should be mentioned. I concede that CF construction methods have improved, and that elongation has slowly crept up from 1%-2% to ~3%, but that's still awfully brittle so that the catastrophic failure mode remains. In fact, all CF manufacturers specifically warn about the failure mode of CF and how it differs from ductile (higher elongation) metals like steel, titanium, and aluminum.

Here are three examples of CF frame failures, and all three were sudden and catastrophic and from the descriptions, were caused by minor road hazards (small rock, shallow pothole, etc.).

Here’s the story on the Scott CR1 Team:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=320405

Here’s the story on the Pinarello Prince:
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=158543

Another Pinarello.

Here’s the story on the Giant TCR
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=451756

I understand that these photos and descriptions don't prove anything, but there are enough of these combined with the known failure mode of the material to cause me, personally, to avoid riding CF bikes until there's a significant improvement in elongation.

Just my $.02. YMMV.
Yikes!

Glad there were no colnagos in the pictures (though now that I mentioned it, I am certain that someone here will find a pic of a broken CF Colnago).
Old 09-23-13, 05:06 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The fact is that any material pushed to the limit of weight will eventually fail. I've broken steel frames & seen plenty of examples of frame failures on aluminum, ti & carbon frames. Nothing lightweight is going to be safe from failure.
Old 09-23-13, 05:09 PM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Because I keep scoring awesome steel frames for next to nothing or nothing.
Old 09-23-13, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I like steel bikes because steel is like a classic love song from the 60's and 70's. The modern songs of today very seldom capture the heart and soul of a singer/songwriter, like the great singer/songwriters from the 60's and 70's. Those were songs created with passion, ardent love, and true feelings, they touched your soul, and you instantly felt the love/or heartache that the singer/songwriter was feeling. With steel, you can feel and see part of the builder's passion for his special creation in the quality of the ride, and the lugwork. To me, modern bikes lack the soul of the builders of those beautiful steel bikes. :-)

Flash
Old 09-23-13, 05:12 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I actually don't prefer steel. It just happens to be all I own. I'm open minded to other materials.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-23-13, 05:20 PM
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by Blue Belly
The fact is that any material pushed to the limit of weight will eventually fail. I've broken steel frames & seen plenty of examples of frame failures on aluminum, ti & carbon frames. Nothing lightweight is going to be safe from failure.
True, that. The issue for me - as I've repeated several times - is the failure mode; CFRP can fail catastrophically and without warning. Steel almost always gives you a hint that it's going to fail.

my bikes

Old 09-23-13, 05:24 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I just don't like asplosions. I've never eaten escargot and I know I don't like it.
Old 09-23-13, 05:37 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,808 Times in 1,411 Posts
True, that. The issue for me - as I've repeated several times - is the failure mode; CFRP can fail catastrophically and without warning. Steel almost always gives you a hint that it's going to fail.
Does it matter?

I'm willing to bet every one of the bikes in the photos you supplied catastrophically failed during a crash. The crash caused the failure, I really doubt the failure caused the crash.

Crash a steel frame, get a bent fork. Plenty of pictures on this very forum with the 100 billion threads titled "Does this fork look bent?". Crash a carbon frame, get a snapped fork.

Either way, you still crashed, steel or carbon.
Old 09-23-13, 05:38 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I suppose you are right, if we are taking about tubing. What about a rear dropout on a steel frame? Many lightweight steel frames had them ground pretty thin to remove weight. Not trying to cause problems. I just felt there was some "bashing" starting up. No materials are free from problems. I have a Ti stem that has a nasty crack in it. Luckily I caught it before it failed. I've seen seat tubes on aluminum frames break in half. Limits will always & have always been pushed. Weight, or lack there of, sells. People are obsessed with stats. Just like Ford Trucks vs Chevy. One says it has more horsepower than the other & that's a huge selling point. Truth of the matter is, gearing & vehicle weight is more important than 5hp. But no one asks those questions. Not does the guy who gets to boast that his bike is .5lbs lighter. Were so obsessed with 1 number that a mfg will cut corners to make that number. I'm not saying that they intentionally build weak frames. It's just the inevitable risk of making that sale.
Facts being facts, they have always pushed the limits of safety & they always will.

Last edited by Blue Belly; 09-23-13 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 05:39 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts
I like steel because primarily because i like the aesthics of a classic triangle frame with level top bar and classic stem.

I also like the ride of steel, compared to aluminum.

I will admit that some carbon bikes are really sexy, but the ones i have liked the best look close to the classic look https://www.cervelo.com/rca/

I also am not sure that carbon is reliable, at least in a light build. Put it this way I would never buy a carbon bike that did not have a valid warranty. I have no doubt that carbon can be made bomb proof, but at a weight and stiffness cost.

I am not 100% retro grouch..... I want a kirk custom frame, sceaming metallic chartreuse paint, white luglining and ultegra di2 for a custom grail bike.

that's me...you may be different.

Old 09-23-13, 05:52 PM
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by iab
Does it matter?

I'm willing to bet every one of the bikes in the photos you supplied catastrophically failed during a crash. The crash caused the failure, I really doubt the failure caused the crash.

Crash a steel frame, get a bent fork. Plenty of pictures on this very forum with the 100 billion threads titled "Does this fork look bent?". Crash a carbon frame, get a snapped fork.

Either way, you still crashed, steel or carbon.
To me it matters. There's a difference between a bent frame or fork that’s still capable of being ridden and one that disintegrates beneath you after hitting a shallow pothole or small rock in the roadway.

EDIT - Here is JaRow's description of the pothole he hit that caused the Giant TCR frame to fail:

Originally Posted by JaRow
I hopped in a motor vehicle today in search of this legendary pothole. I had to do a 5 mile stretch of my route 3 times to find the pothole. I can confirm with 100% certainty that this is the pothole it hit because I found my broken sunglasses and water bottle on the ground.

Pothole details: It's about 1.5 in. deep all around so it ain't big. I'm pretty sure I hit it somewhere on the right side. I feel like mighty dumb.

Here are the pictures. Let the holy war begin...

my bikes

Last edited by Scooper; 09-23-13 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 05:59 PM
iab

To me it matters. There's a difference between a bent frame or fork that’s still capable of being ridden and one that disintegrates beneath you after hitting a shallow pothole or small rock in the roadway.
Except in both cases you crash. Your body gets injured either way.
Old 09-23-13, 06:04 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Oy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-23-13, 06:16 PM
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by iab
Except in both cases you crash. Your body gets injured either way.
Do you honestly believe a steel frameset would have crashed and broken (or broken and crashed, depending on the cause and effect) as a result of hitting that 1.5" deep pothole? I don't.

In any case, I've said my say and won't further defend my position to avoid riding CF frames until there are advances in the technology raising the elongation numbers.

my bikes

Old 09-23-13, 06:52 PM
iab

Do you honestly believe a steel frameset would have crashed and broken (or broken and crashed, depending on the cause and effect) as a result of hitting that 1.5" deep pothole? I don't.
Yes. A defect is a defect. You think a defect in lug construction would never result in failure when hitting that pothole? Fercristsake, brazing is literally only a form of glue.

Or do you actually believe every CF frame will assplode when you hit a 1.5" pothole and the one that did break didn't have a defect?
Likes For iab:
Old 09-23-13, 07:59 PM
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have alluminum and lugged steel bikes. The lugged steel ones ride smoother and feel springy. They are more comfortable and I love the looks lugged steel frames with their classic triangle geometry. I do not like the newer ones that are double butted with no lugs. Steel rules in my book.
Old 09-23-13, 08:39 PM
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by iab
Yes. A defect is a defect. You think a defect in lug construction would never result in failure when hitting that pothole? Fercristsake, brazing is literally only a form of glue.

Or do you actually believe every CF frame will assplode when you hit a 1.5" pothole and the one that did break didn't have a defect?
I don't know if your reply is tongue-in-cheek or serious, but I'll assume you're serious.

The large majority of front-end crashes of lugged steel framed bikes result in bent fork blades, a bent steerer tube at the fork crown, and wrinkled top tube and down tube on the underside of the tubes in the butted section just behind the head lugs. Failure of the lug itself or the lug brazing is extremely rare. The blades, steerer and TT and DT bend, but rarely separate like CF does.

This photo is from yellow jersey and is typical of damage to a lugged steel frame after a really severe front end hit.

my bikes

Last edited by Scooper; 09-23-13 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 09-24-13, 03:10 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hate to see what the wheel & fork look like ! Ouch!
Old 09-24-13, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm an engineer and I deal with stresses, ductility, welds etc in steel, aluminium and other materials.

Me personally, I'd never ride a carbon bike, I'm even wary of my aluminium frames (I'm Clydesdale size)

I'm currently looking at steel frames for my next purchase(s).

Beic
Old 09-24-13, 03:37 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
One thing to note, which I found out recently. A layer of Kevlar dramatically improves the strength of CF. Kevlar does not fracture as easily. Funny thing I found. I have a bora that was destroy. At a break in the rim you can see Kevlar. It's a yellowish color. It's down in the spoke bed of the rim. Just interesting to find. I know the Merckx AXM had Kevlar in the frame. He advertised it as so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.