Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing removable links?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-28-13, 10:07 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts

OK gang, my google-fu is weak today. I know I've seen more than once here at BF a link to a scan of some english (australian?) cycling journal that illustrates an easy way to undo removable links, by working one link's worth of slack up on to the large chainring so the removable link is sticking up, and then tapping -- but now I can't find it.

Can somebody please drop me that link again?

FWIW, I think a better method is illustrated in the latest post on Dave Moulton's blog. This guy's a friggin genius. See also his homebrew headset press.
Old 10-28-13, 10:30 AM

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
Park makes some pliers designed just for the purpose of removing these links. Works great!

https://www.parktool.com/product/mast...k-pliers-mlp-1
Old 10-28-13, 10:41 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Yes, that's probably the right choice for a shop, which would use it 20 times a day, but Moulton's two-screwdriver and pliers method makes that specialty tool unnecessary, for a hobbyist in the garage that would probably only use it once or twice a year.
Old 10-28-13, 11:23 AM
back in the saddle

Bikes: Raleigh Olympian, Trek 400, 500, 1500, 6700, Madone 6.9, Sekai 2400, Schwinn Passage, KOM, Super Letour, Nishiki Sport, Vision R45, Bike E, Volae Team

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had an old pair of pliers, to sloppy and beat up for normal use. A bench grinder turned them into a thin nose pair like the Park tool in a couple of minutes.
Old 10-28-13, 11:29 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by bent-not-broken
I had an old pair of pliers, to sloppy and beat up for normal use. A bench grinder turned them into a thin nose pair like the Park tool in a couple of minutes.
OK, that's a good tip too. Next time I'm at the thrift store, I'll look for an old pair of needlenose and see if I can mod them up similarly.

However, still looking for that original article...
Old 10-28-13, 11:29 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Yes, that's probably the right choice for a shop, which would use it 20 times a day, but Moulton's two-screwdriver and pliers method makes that specialty tool unnecessary, for a hobbyist in the garage that would probably only use it once or twice a year.
Those pliers cost $14. For that price, unless I own a single tool already that does the same job I am buying and using the right tool every time even if it is only once a year (note that I use mine far more frequently than that).
Old 10-28-13, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
But if you have several bikes to mantain, and remove several chains a few times a year, it pays to have the right tool.
Old 10-28-13, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Cool story: I made link pliers from by grinding and shaping the jaws of an old crimping tool. It worked well, but then I splurged and treated myself to the Park item. Pricepoint sells Sette branded link pliers for a few bux less.
Old 10-28-13, 11:50 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by leob1
But if you have several bikes to mantain, and remove several chains a few times a year, it pays to have the right tool.
In fact I have 9 bikes in my garage, but only one of them gets serious mileage; CrossCheck is used for daily commuting, recreational rides, errands, light trails, etc. Couple hundred miles of rougher trails on the mtb per year, and all the rest of the bikes are wife and boys, also only ~100mi/year. Not enough to wear out chains.

So it's a matter of opinion when "it pays to have the right tool". I'm a super cheapskate, and two screwdrivers and pliers is good enough for me, that I would never spend $14 (or $10 I've seen similar tools on eBay). I do agree, there are many situations where "the right tool" is worth the price (a quality pedal wrench would be an example for me), but we all draw the line in different places there.
Old 10-28-13, 04:48 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by bent-not-broken
I did this with a pair of road find needle nose. I also used an old brake caliper spring re-bent for a chain "third hand" tool
Old 10-28-13, 04:58 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I also used an old brake caliper spring re-bent for a chain "third hand" tool
These are easy to make from a surplus spoke or even a piece of coat hanger wire. It's a very useful "tool" to get the slack needed to remove a master link
Old 10-28-13, 05:04 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
These are easy to make from a surplus spoke or even a piece of coat hanger wire. It's a very useful "tool" to get the slack needed to remove a master link
I remember one of the first times I did this, chain slipped out of my hand and ½ a power link flew across the shop never to be found again. Made the tool soon afterward.
Old 10-28-13, 05:21 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
To try to answer the original question. The chain is placed on the large ring. Then on the bottom of the ring the chain is pulled off the teeth and slipped one link forward/up so that as all the remaining links are replaced onto the teeth there will be the slack link sticking up off the ring, like an "A" frame roof line. This link will be the connecting one and placed at roughly at the 3:00 position). Then you figure out which way to push/strike this sticking up link so that the connecting link sides slide just so to release. The link's being held against the ring on one end will act as an anvil. The sliding or striking (hammer tap) on the other end AND the proper side of this link is the force to collapse the pins to each other.

A lot of words but easy to see when it's done.
Old 10-28-13, 05:41 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
...A lot of words but easy to see when it's done.
Yes, thanks, and even easier to see if somebody could dig up the online scan of the magazine page that had a picture! But yes, that is exactly the technique I'm looking for. It's the "figure out which way to push/strike" that put me off before, I should probably just try again and figure harder. I guess you strike one of the side plates, not the roller? (and not the other side plate?)
Old 10-28-13, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Here you go. ^^^ https://www.ctc.org.uk/file/member/201107050_0.pdf
Old 10-28-13, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
The tightwads can always talk themselves out of buying something, whether it's a useful tool or not. Buy the pliers and add them to your growing tool collection. bk
Old 10-28-13, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Ok, maybe I'm doing something different, but I've always been able to pinch the two plates towards each other than then slide them apart by hand. But I've only used KMC version.
Old 10-28-13, 08:02 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by jsdavis
Ok, maybe I'm doing something different, but I've always been able to pinch the two plates towards each other than then slide them apart by hand. But I've only used KMC version.
The SRAM links have a bit more "catch" then KMC. Also the SRAM 10 speed connectors have a larger "catch" and are not ment to be reused, we've found reusing is OK (so far, 4+ years). Andy.
Old 10-28-13, 10:39 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
BINGO! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thx mucho.
Old 10-28-13, 10:40 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by bkaapcke
The tightwads can always talk themselves out of buying something, whether it's a useful tool or not. Buy the pliers and add them to your growing tool collection. bk
Yup, that's me. I am a tightwad, and I am incredibly adept at not buying things, and I hope to get even better at it.
Old 10-29-13, 05:52 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by jsdavis
That's the way that I take the SRAM links apart when I don't have the pliers handy. I don't know how well it works with 10 speed chains since I only have one of those but the squeeze trick has worked on every link I've used up to 9 speed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-29-13, 06:19 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That's the way that I take the SRAM links apart when I don't have the pliers handy. I don't know how well it works with 10 speed chains since I only have one of those but the squeeze trick has worked on every link I've used up to 9 speed.
In my experience, 8 and 9 speed links will come apart by hand while 10 speed need the pliers. I remember thinking something was wrong when I first installed a 10 speed link because it was so tight.

Anyway, I always pinch the links a bit whether using the pliers or not when removing the link. Seems to help them come apart a bit more smoothly.
Old 10-29-13, 06:24 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I bought the Park Tool pliers about a year ago. I can't believe that I waited so long to have done so. They make master link removal so quick and repeatable. Again, they're worth the money. Every improvised method that I employed over the years now looks comical in comparison to using the right tool.
Old 10-29-13, 06:28 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I bought the Park Tool pliers about a year ago. I can't believe that I waited so long to have done so. They make master link removal so quick and repeatable. Again, they're worth the money. Every improvised method that I employed over the years now looks comical in comparison to using the right tool.
Same for me.

Old 10-29-13, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
So, who's right? A militant tightwad, or people who like having the right tool? bk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.