Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cilo

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 07:16 PM

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh Robin Hood,1969 Raleigh Sport,1973 Raleigh Super Course,1984 Cilo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cilo

I have a Cilo bicycle that I bought new in either 84 or 85. I only rode it a couple of times. It is a little small for me so I put aside. It has a Columbus frame with 600 Shimano throughout. The bars are Mavic and the rims are Mavic 40s. The frame is light blue and it has crome forks.The center of the origional tires still have extra rubber from the molds. The origional pump and Cilo water bottles(never used) are on the bike.I would estimate that the bike has less than 8 miles. Last week I had the bike cleaned and tuned up and it looks beautiful. Does anyone have any information on this bike or Cilo in general? Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thank you, Dave
Old 11-02-13, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I know they're Swiss, that's about it. If you're looking for an estimate of value, you'll need to post this in the special Valuations section. In any case it would be great if you could post some pictures (and essential if you're looking for a valuation). To do that you need to upload them to a site like Flickr or Photobucket, then copy the link and paste it here using the icon that looks vaguely like a frame.

There's also a frame swap thread if that holds any interest for you.

Sounds like a very nice bike.
Old 11-02-13, 07:51 PM

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
I think that I had the same bike. It was made with Columbus Aelle tubing, which is "second tier" tubing. However, I really, really enjoyed the ride of my Cilo. I only sold it because it was a size too small for me... Put some new (nice) tires on it and enjoy. And, photos, please....
Old 11-02-13, 08:22 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
[h=1]Cilo[/h]

They sold also the very early alloy frames made by Vitus (979) that
were very light, but also very flexy (kinda scary in the larger sizes.)

I forget what put them out of business, but you don't see many around
here in Sacramento.....We had one of the scary alloy tubed ones earluer
this year at the bike co-op.
Old 11-03-13, 09:59 AM

Bikes: 85 Cilo, '91 Bianchi Volpe, '00 Gary Fisher, '74 Raleigh SuperCourse, '06 Soma Groove, '09 Nashbar X

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know much about company history, but I have virtually the same bike - may have come out of the same shop since I lived in MA when I bought it from a friend in the 87-89 timeframe. I think the forum helped me date mine to '85. I've seen a few older models built with 531 as more of a sport-tourer, and this model with Aelle, plus someone posted a mid-late 80s MTB a few months ago.
Mine came with 600EX, Mavic bars/stem, and 600AX seatpost, rolling on Mavic Montilhery Route tubulars, . It started off the same light metallic blue, repainted darker blue in the early 90s, after an RD grenaded and took out the rear dropout. It has a random mix of components, mismatched wheels, etc from when I replaced things as they broke/wore out or I found deals.
I rebuilt it in basically 'as run ca. 1999' configuration a few years ago:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cilo1.jpg (97.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-03-13, 10:26 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I owned a similar Cilo that I restored. It was a nice ride, but I move bikes through the stable quickly. I encourage you to ride the bike if it fits. I sold mine, in a good market area, for about $300.
Old 11-03-13, 10:31 AM

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The wife's bike is an SLX tubed Cilo with early Dura ace & mavic 40's. Cool bikes, Ride it! This is it, when we bought it a few years back. We've made some changes, since