Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Cycling/Exercise Reports - Jan 11/12

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 03:11 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us about your cycling adventures or other activities this weekend! Are you cycling outside? Or inside? Are you doing other sports ... skiing, snowshoeing, swimming, weightlifting??

[HR][/HR]

Friday - I capped the week with another walk home from work. It's exactly 4 km and I've been walking it all week ... plus walks at lunch, plus a walk on the beach after work on Friday, plus a couple additional walks. All up, I walked 30 km this week.

Saturday - Rowan had to work today. But ... I desperately need to build up my distance and strength so I decided to go for a ride.

Yesterday was a hot day here, and today was 20C by 10 am ... however, it didn't get too much warmer throughout the day. The temperature topped at 25.5C. But that's a lovely temperature for a ride. The wind was also quite light (20-25 km/h) until 5:30 pm when it picked up to about double that.

My route remained relatively close to home and consisted of some back and forth, mostly along the foreshore and beaches. I didn't feel like venturing too far away. Most of the route was somewhat flat, but this is Tasmania and you just can't escape the hills. So there were a few challenges along the way.

And close to the end of the ride, I stopped at the outdoor fitness equipment to do a little bit of an upper body workout.

All up ... 66.5 km.

That's the longest ride I've done since September 8.

However, at this point, I'm still too slow for a randonnee ... my average speed was 14 km/h. Obviously I need to work on speed.
Old 01-11-14, 04:56 AM
In Real Life

Photos from today ... click photos for more ...

Old 01-11-14, 04:45 PM

Bikes: '12 Felt F75X, '11 Scott CX Team, '08 Specialized Singlecross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday - 40 miles in the slop. Windy, wet, and windy. Did I mention the wind? It was windy.
Old 01-11-14, 11:29 PM
In Real Life

Sunday - 20.5 km + workout at the outdoor fitness equipment.

A little explore through local neighbourhoods trying to find a good cycling route. I'm used to country and wide open spaces ... city cycling isn't quite my cup of tea. So I guess what I'm looking for is a route out of town, without having to scale too many mountains.
Old 01-11-14, 11:45 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I was off work Friday, and was supposed to ride, but it was cold and rainy. So I went and drove a route for a new perm I'd had in mind.

Today, I did a 2ook, the Red Bandana. We had a couple visiting from out of state (from the frozen northlands), and they ride a little slower than some of our groups do, so I and a couple of other riders hung with 'em for the ride. It was a beautiful day, and we finished just after dark.
Old 01-12-14, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Sunday - 20.5 km + workout at the outdoor fitness equipment.

A little explore through local neighbourhoods trying to find a good cycling route. I'm used to country and wide open spaces ... city cycling isn't quite my cup of tea. So I guess what I'm looking for is a route out of town, without having to scale too many mountains.
Which direction do you want to go/where are you starting from?
Old 01-12-14, 12:05 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by raisinberry777
Which direction do you want to go/where are you starting from?
I'm starting from the Eastern Shore ... and I'd like to go anywhere flat. I'm beginning to think that might be impossible.
Old 01-12-14, 12:28 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I'm starting from the Eastern Shore ... and I'd like to go anywhere flat. I'm beginning to think that might be impossible.
New Norfolk would be a fair trip, if you head out towards Richmond along Richmond Rd, go onto Grasstree Hill Rd and then turn onto Back Tea Tree Rd and go all the way along that you'll end up in Brighton, then if you head towards the Bridgewater bridge and go over it, you'll end up on the Lyell Highway and get a nice ride along the river to New Norfolk.

Alternatively, you could head over the bridge and ride along the bike track until you reach the end in Claremont, then turn left and head onto Claremont's Main Rd, keep going along that through Austin's Ferry and Granton until you go under the highway, then you turn around and head onto (very, very briefly) the hard shoulder of the Midlands Highway for about 200m until you get down to the roundabout at the Bridgewater bridge and then head straight ahead onto the Lyell Highway, as above.

To give you an idea of distance it's an 80km round trip from my place in South Hobart using the bike track route.

I have to encourage you to embrace these hills though - there are many, many wonderful places to cycle in Tasmania and by wanting to avoid hills you miss out on most of these routes.
Old 01-12-14, 03:23 AM
In Real Life

New Norfolk would be a fair trip, if you head out towards Richmond along Richmond Rd, go onto Grasstree Hill Rd and then turn onto Back Tea Tree Rd and go all the way along that you'll end up in Brighton, then if you head towards the Bridgewater bridge and go over it, you'll end up on the Lyell Highway and get a nice ride along the river to New Norfolk.

Alternatively, you could head over the bridge and ride along the bike track until you reach the end in Claremont, then turn left and head onto Claremont's Main Rd, keep going along that through Austin's Ferry and Granton until you go under the highway, then you turn around and head onto (very, very briefly) the hard shoulder of the Midlands Highway for about 200m until you get down to the roundabout at the Bridgewater bridge and then head straight ahead onto the Lyell Highway, as above.

To give you an idea of distance it's an 80km round trip from my place in South Hobart using the bike track route.

I have to encourage you to embrace these hills though - there are many, many wonderful places to cycle in Tasmania and by wanting to avoid hills you miss out on most of these routes.
I have considered your alternative route and would like to try it when Rowan can ride again (he's busy working these days). We're quite close to the Tasman Bridge.

An alternative to that is more or less along the Clarence foreshore, along Derwent Ave., onto East Derwent Highway briefly to cross the Bowen Bridge and onto the cycleway then out to Main Road and the Lyell Highway.

Another route I've been wondering about is from Kangaroo Bay, up Bligh St, then onto Cambridge Rd toward Midway Point, Sorell, or up to Richmond. But I'm not sure how flat/hilly that might be.

And have you ever ridden Pass Road? I've thought about a loop which would start with the above route, then turn down Pass Road to South Arm Highway, then make my way down to Howrah Rd and along the foreshore again. But again, I don't know how hilly Pass Road is ... or how busy it might be.

About the hills ... I've never been a climber, I've never needed to be a climber, and I find climbing extremely painful. Even on small hills it feels like someone is driving a knife into my chest and left shoulder. My jaw aches and stiffens up. My left arm goes numb. I become nauseated and start to bring up. And I can't breathe. I've been for an angiogram, and it's not my heart ... so I'll be going for further testing soon. I'd embrace hills if I didn't hurt so much trying to climb them.

We raised my handlebars a bit a couple weeks ago, and that seems to have helped the breathing a little bit, but all the pain is still there.
Old 01-12-14, 03:55 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Along the Clarence foreshore could work too, can't say I've done too much riding along the shore out there but it'll get you there all the same.

Can't say I've ridden along Pass Rd, but a common TT route out that way seems to be along Clarence St out to South Arm Highway, then through Acton, along 7 Mile Beach and then back through Cambridge. There's one minor hill in that coming back through Cambridge but it's very easy, perhaps about 1km at 5%ish, if that. About 50km all up.

The other route you're considering towards Richmond you'd be looking at two hills, one being the one I mentioned above but from the other side, and the other one being Brinktop to come into Richmond which is fairly easy from that side.

What gearing are you running? You'll get your Tassie climbing legs yet, don't worry. Mt Wellington is one of the best things to do on a bike in Hobart.
Old 01-12-14, 04:06 AM
In Real Life

Along the Clarence foreshore could work too, can't say I've done too much riding along the shore out there but it'll get you there all the same.

Can't say I've ridden along Pass Rd, but a common TT route out that way seems to be along Clarence St out to South Arm Highway, then through Acton, along 7 Mile Beach and then back through Cambridge. There's one minor hill in that coming back through Cambridge but it's very easy, perhaps about 1km at 5%ish, if that. About 50km all up.

The other route you're considering towards Richmond you'd be looking at two hills, one being the one I mentioned above but from the other side, and the other one being Brinktop to come into Richmond which is fairly easy from that side.

What gearing are you running? You'll get your Tassie climbing legs yet, don't worry. Mt Wellington is one of the best things to do on a bike in Hobart.
They run TTs along Clarence St and out South Arm Highway?? What about the traffic?? And stop lights etc.?

I think Rowan and I rode part of the South Arm Highway and Acton to 7 Mile Beach and back via Cambridge soon after we got here, and I had a really tough time with that route ... too many steep hills. It was soon after that when I started going to the Dr to see about all the chest pain.

I'm in my granny up most hills and my granny is 22x34. I've got no hope of getting up Mt Wellington ... I can barely get up the tiny hill to our place without feeling like I'm having a heart attack ... and I often opt to walk that.
Old 01-12-14, 04:13 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry, to be more specific, that's where some guys do their TT training (as it's probably the flattest route near the city suitable for it). Actual TTs themselves are usually run out near Richmond, out to Colebrook and back, basically. I'd worry about seeing the Dr first though, 22x34 should be enough to fairly easily get you up anything.
Old 01-12-14, 04:37 AM
In Real Life

Sorry, to be more specific, that's where some guys do their TT training (as it's probably the flattest route near the city suitable for it). Actual TTs themselves are usually run out near Richmond, out to Colebrook and back, basically. I'd worry about seeing the Dr first though, 22x34 should be enough to fairly easily get you up anything.
Ah, I see. And we're talking about doing some riding around Richmond ... out to Colebrook, etc.

Yes ... 22x34 should get me up anything. It's on my touring bicycle, with the intent of getting me up anything with loaded panniers. And even though I've never done much climbing, I used to be able to climb better than I can now. (i.e. I've ridden four 1200K randonnees, all with hills, and I did the 7 Peaks Alpine Ascent Challenge in Victoria back in 2011)
Old 01-12-14, 04:58 AM
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i did a 30 miler
Old 01-12-14, 07:46 AM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Friday I rode maybe 10 trainer miles during a fitting.

Sat was beautiful- 73 degrees, no wind. I rode 43 miles, 1800 ft climbing, about 1mph faster than my typical time (this was post-fitting). Then maybe later another 4-5 miles test riding a Trek Domane.

Today Sun, I have a group ride planned, which is about 25 mi. Then a friend & I plan to continue longer for a total of 40-50 mi. Today will be windier, though, and a little cooler, in the mid-60s.

H
Old 01-12-14, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sat: 12mi to the bike shop for an easy spin. dodged the rain

sun: 51mi with Brody and another friend in some serious wind. like 36-25 on flat ground into it.. worst wind i've ridden in.
Old 01-12-14, 05:25 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Friday I rode maybe 10 trainer miles during a fitting.

Sat was beautiful- 73 degrees, no wind. I rode 43 miles, 1800 ft climbing, about 1mph faster than my typical time (this was post-fitting). Then maybe later another 4-5 miles test riding a Trek Domane.

Today Sun, I have a group ride planned, which is about 25 mi. Then a friend & I plan to continue longer for a total of 40-50 mi. Today will be windier, though, and a little cooler, in the mid-60s.

H
Managed to ride 75 mi today (a personal best distance) between starting earlier than the group, doing the group ride, then riding longer with friend, then riding still longer by myself. 155 miles total this week, not including the fitting & test ride.

H
Old 01-12-14, 05:47 PM

Bikes: '12 Felt F75X, '11 Scott CX Team, '08 Specialized Singlecross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday - First metric of the year. 64 miles, mostly with Jake save for the ride to/from the start. Longest ride since the end of October. Two days fighting the wind and I don't think I'd want to try for a third.
Old 01-12-14, 09:22 PM
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Saturday: 34 miles on the 29er mtb
Sunday: 11.5 miles on the 29er mtb
Old 01-13-14, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
This is the first weekend in awhile that I was able to get in some longer rides on both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a humid and overcast 40 mile ride followed by 40 miles on a cool and sunny Sunday. Ouch...my legs hurt.
Old 01-13-14, 11:09 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
Sat: 12mi to the bike shop for an easy spin. dodged the rain

sun: 51mi with Brody and another friend in some serious wind. like 36-25 on flat ground into it.. worst wind i've ridden in.
Windy is right. I'm 145 + old steel heavy bike, I almost got blown over once.