Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Triathlon first timers 2010/2011?

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Triathlon first timers 2010/2011?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 09:51 AM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Last year while at Lake Placid I was an aid station worker. What a blast!! While in the campground I was in I met a 73 year old man who had finished the Tri. Now this Ironman is in the mountains of the Adirondacks and very hilly. I figure if he can do it so can I. I am only 67. I have been in training ever since. I will do the one here in Arizona, God willing and the creek don't rise, next year. My big problem is swimming, running and biking, and in that order, and of course staying healthy. I am in a 3 month lay off from surgery and about to scream from boredom. I have done lots of century rides, so I am not to worried about the biking.
Old 03-18-10, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I have been running for a few months, and working with a running coach to go after a 10 mile race in June. I have been spinning at my healthclub 4-5 times per week for 45-75 minutes each class, and I have narrowed the bike I want to two models ( CAAD 9-4 or Trek 2.3) and I am taking my first swimming lesson tomorrow. I really want to attempt a Triathlon this summer. There are a few in my area but I am worried they will sell out but I dont know if I am putthing the cart before the horse by signing up now.
Old 03-18-10, 11:45 AM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
YAY!!! I received my prescription goggles - that was fast. I haven't tested them underwater yet, but wore them around the house for a while last night.

I'm severely shortsighted and since the goggles don't correct for astigmatism or presbyopia (ie they're not bifocals) the correction is only approximate and I can't read normal print with them, but they will be more than adequate for swimming and for navigating to and from the water, recognizing people, and finding my bike; and I will have some spare glasses waiting at transition for the biking and running segments.

I got them for about $25 from aquagoggles.com, and it took less than a week. Since the manufacturer is in Canada (like me) it might take longer to receive them if you are in the US or UK or elswhere.

If anybody orders them, be sure to use the formula on the website to modify your prescription and compensate for astigmatism. For example, my normal prescription is OD -8 and OS -7.25, but my goggles are OD -7 and OS -6.5

Last edited by cooker; 03-18-10 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-18-10, 12:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
28 y.o. first timer here. I did one SUPER-sprint last year, and have two more planned this year, followed by a sprint, and possibly and Oly later in the year. Been running since high school, recently took up cycling as well (mostly du/biathlons, hoping to get into the amateur time-trials around here this year as well). I still struggle mightly with the swimming though. Worked with a coach (T.I. system) and my form is getting much better, but I'm having trouble building any endurance. I still feel winded after two laps. Anyway, good luck to everyone, hope to see you at the races.
Old 03-19-10, 02:27 PM

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Marakesh / 2006 HooKooEKoo / 2005 CoMotion Nor'wester / 1987 Trek 520 and 560EX (1 ea.)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sprint Tri this summer is the plan. 47 y.o., 245lbs. Got lots to do to get this done.

Doing the C25K running plan, but that is not going well. Shin splints, but working thru it.

Cycling is be done on my mtn bike right now, though once the sand is cleaned off the streets and a few more pounds are burned off I'll start putting miles on the Trek 2200 I picked up last month.

Swimming is my strong suit. Swam in high school, so I am ok there.

Hoping to be able to do my first spring around Memorial day, but the running training is going to drive that. I am not going to re-injure my knee running this time.
Old 03-20-10, 10:01 PM
Prefers Cicero

Went out today and did a test run. Wow, I run like Betty White! This is the first time I have run more than maybe 100 meters in several years, as almost all my exercise is biking or walking and I'm overweight. I shuffled aound the track at a pretty slow pace with lots of stretches of walking. Still, as I expected, I managed to do 2.5 km in under 20 minutes: about 19 minutes actually, which is 7.9 mph or 7 minutes 36 seconds per mile. Ironman, here I come!
LOL
Old 03-24-10, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chicago Al, last year's Super Sprint was a blast. I highly recommend it for a variety of reasons. It's on Saturday, not Sunday so there aren't a million people there and you don't have to be there by 4:30 am. The distance is very manageable. I would say that if you bike regularly, and can run you can probably train for the swim over the summer. Gotta tell ya though, I went all out on the bike and that was the longest mile and a half I ever ran! Be sure to work some brick workouts in is all I can say.

I think I'm going to move up to Sprints this year because there are several in the area, but not the Chicago Sprint, I'll probably just do the super sprint again. I enjoy big events but that one is just too big.

Now, go sign up!
Old 03-25-10, 08:17 AM
been around the block

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone - Felt F3SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First timer here as well, will be doing the NY Tri Oly and my biggest fear is swimming in the Hudson River. The bike portion up the Westside Hwy seems fine I think that'll be my best/easiest part of the event. The run I fear, I can knock out a 10k in about 55-65mins but have never bricked a 10k after a ride. I should start on that soon come spring saturday mornings. I've been swimming all winter but nothing of great distance. I think over all I'm fairly fit but worry this will definitely give me a run for my endurance. I've completed a few century rides, a duathlon, and a few 10k races. I'm 28.
Old 03-25-10, 08:23 AM

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Thanks, Sz10! I am signed up for the Chicago SuperSprint, and son is signed up for the Kids Tri. He'll be 14 so this is the last year he would be eligible for that. He swims with a team so the Tri's 200M swim is an easy warmup for him...I may have him coach me! I've done a few bricks at the gym, spin bike to treadmill, and it's okay, not worried about that at all. Interested in your comment on the size of the Tri on Sunday, I had thought Sunday's crowd might be a bit much, esp for my first event, this confirms it. Thanks for the info--see you out there!

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 03-25-10 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-25-10, 11:25 AM

Bikes: CAAD9 4, Centurion??? road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leftturn
Well I have been running for a few months, and working with a running coach to go after a 10 mile race in June. I have been spinning at my healthclub 4-5 times per week for 45-75 minutes each class, and I have narrowed the bike I want to two models ( CAAD 9-4 or Trek 2.3) and I am taking my first swimming lesson tomorrow. I really want to attempt a Triathlon this summer. There are a few in my area but I am worried they will sell out but I dont know if I am putthing the cart before the horse by signing up now.
As long as you have enough time to train for it I would sign up now. If you're not ready when the race comes up then you back out and lose the fee but that's better than injuring yourself.
Old 04-03-10, 10:48 PM
Prefers Cicero

Update: I was consulting out of town last week, and the hotel had a pool, so I took the prescription goggles and my new triathlon shorts with me to try out in the water. I am overweight with a pot belly, and the shorts look ridiculous on me – sort of like the Speedo cliché – so I wore some outer shorts and a long baggy T shirt down to the pool, and when no-one was around I stripped off the outer layers and quickly hid in the water.

The goggles worked great. I could see well enough to navigate around the pool area, and as long as I remembered to press them in a bit to create a vacuum, they produced a lasting seal the kept out water.

This is all coming together!
Old 04-04-10, 08:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
only 25 here, but going to get into tri this year... i am a 220 clyde at 6'3, so i won't be competative, but had to give up running distances for the time being (MRI tomorrow will shed more light)... can do the 5k distances, but nothing more than 10k runs without having to take a week off due to pain, so will be throwing my hat in the ring for some sprint tri's this year...

live 1/4 mile from a gravel pit about 200 yds wide, and 1.75mi from multi-use freshly paved trails (~20 miles worth)... no reason not to train
Old 04-06-10, 12:52 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I'm replying just to keep tabs on this thread. I like the 3 sports just not the idea of doing them competitively in succession. I'm kinda lucky I even finish my training sessions. (pretty lucky to even start them actually)
Old 04-06-10, 05:21 PM

Bikes: Trek Y-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
44 here.

I always have loved riding my bicycle. I took up running last year. Did some 5ks and a 5 miler. I run from 3-8 miles a day now. So why not combine the two? I bought some goggle because that is the only weak link, my swimming.

My goal? If I can swim 1500m in the local pool then I will by the tri bike and get cracking. doing the army 10 miler this year and signed up for a 1/2 marathon.

Baby steps.
Old 04-06-10, 06:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can finally finish 1500 yards in the pool without stopping. Takes me 36 minutes but I can do it. I've signed up for the masters swim class at the Y so maybe I can improve on that time now.
Old 04-06-10, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
motomurphy ~ nice! I would love to be there this time next year (1500 non-stop)
Old 04-06-10, 08:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can finally finish 1500 yards in the pool without stopping.
Probably should wait till I'm doing it consistently to say anything but I was pretty happy, even if the 10 year old in the next lane was kicking my butt.
Old 04-07-10, 01:20 PM

Bikes: 199? Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
36 here.

This is my first time to even consider such insanity. My old response to running was "only if something scary & full of teeth is chasing me!" Now, it's become "well, why not?" I'm currently training to enter a 5k in June.

Biking is not a problem. Granted, I'm not any kind of speed demon, but I can hang in there.

I'm looking for somewhere to swim laps. I was a strong swimmer 20 years ago, but haven't pushed very hard in that department in quite some time. I will definately be looking into the prescription goggles after my next eye exam. Never knew that was an option.
Old 04-09-10, 09:51 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Axis, Azuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I registered for my first multi-sport event, the Peanut Butter Duathlon in Rockford. I have been running for over 30 years (I'm 63) and enjoy competing in 5 and 10K's because they give me a purpose that helps me organize my training. I have been riding more since I finally broke down and bought a new bike last spring. I thought the duathlon was a good first experience and will help me determine if I enjoy the preparation and the event. My training runs are geared to competing in 5 and 10K's which is sufficient for many duathlons and sprint triathlons. I will use my cyclocross bike to train and for the first race. I plan to do distances between 10 and 20 miles until the end of the month. Like others on this thread, I am taking some Masters swim classes and will determine by the end of the month if I will try a triathlon this summer.
Old 04-11-10, 05:23 AM

Bikes: Cervelo R3, P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was supposed to do my first triathlon, a mini (700 M Swim, 20K bike, 5K run) at the end of April, but injuries due to bike crashes have derailed that plan, so looking at something in the summer. Hoping also to do a Half Iron in September.

I'm 54, back into sports since June 2008. I was a runner for a long time, but had to stop quite a while back due to health issues.. Now HIV positive for 11 years, and 5 years on twice a day medications. Swimming is getting better, but still a long way to go. Running used to be my best discipline, now I'm a jogger. Cycling is going well, except for those damn crashes.
Old 04-16-10, 12:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I signed up for a sprint tri this summer, 500m swim, 15 mi bike and 5k run. My first, not hers. My story goes like this. My wife has been getting into spin class at the gym, so for xmas this year I bought her a new Trek 2.1 WSD. Shortly after, she decided that since she used to do tris as a teen, she wanted to give her new bike a use, so she signed up for one. Not wanting to let her be the only triathlete in the house, I followed suit and signed up with her. The only problem is, well...problems are, I only had a heavy, bulky GF MTB, I hate running and Im not a very strong swimmer. WTH am I getting myself into? Well, I solved problem #1 by picking up a new Allez on Tuesday so the bike section will not be a problem. Running? well I hate running, but I figure I need to give it a go, so I started jogging around the neighborhood last week and got a good case of tendinitis in my knee. Awesome. Swimming? Well, there is a lake down the street, so Ill have to give that a go when it gets warmer out.
How do I think Ill do? Well if each were done individually, I can probably do the bike in ~40 mins, 5k in maybe 20 and the swim is a big wildcard. maybe another 15 or so. Put them all together? Id like to finish around 90 mins. If I look at the results from this tri from last year, 90 mins puts me at about 100 out of 380 racers, I figure I can pull that off with some training. Wish me luck, I have until Aug 1 to get my act in gear
Old 04-16-10, 12:44 PM
Tri Texas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrNismo
My wife and I signed up for a sprint tri this summer, 500m swim, 15 mi bike and 5k run. My first, not hers. My story goes like this. My wife has been getting into spin class at the gym, so for xmas this year I bought her a new Trek 2.1 WSD. Shortly after, she decided that since she used to do tris as a teen, she wanted to give her new bike a use, so she signed up for one. Not wanting to let her be the only triathlete in the house, I followed suit and signed up with her. The only problem is, well...problems are, I only had a heavy, bulky GF MTB, I hate running and Im not a very strong swimmer. WTH am I getting myself into? Well, I solved problem #1 by picking up a new Allez on Tuesday so the bike section will not be a problem. Running? well I hate running, but I figure I need to give it a go, so I started jogging around the neighborhood last week and got a good case of tendinitis in my knee. Awesome. Swimming? Well, there is a lake down the street, so Ill have to give that a go when it gets warmer out.
How do I think Ill do? Well if each were done individually, I can probably do the bike in ~40 mins, 5k in maybe 20 and the swim is a big wildcard. maybe another 15 or so. Put them all together? Id like to finish around 90 mins. If I look at the results from this tri from last year, 90 mins puts me at about 100 out of 380 racers, I figure I can pull that off with some training. Wish me luck, I have until Aug 1 to get my act in gear
You can run a 5K in 20 minutes and you hate running? That is very fast. 40 minutes for a 15 mile bike is very fast also, 22.5 mph. If you are really that fast, then I think you'll do just fine :-)
Old 04-16-10, 12:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... Running? well I hate running, but I figure I need to give it a go, so I started jogging around the neighborhood last week and got a good case of tendinitis in my knee. ...
Sounds like you're running too fast, the majority of your runs should be at an easier pace with speedwork once or twice a week.
Old 04-16-10, 01:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motomurphy
Sounds like you're running too fast, the majority of your runs should be at an easier pace with speedwork once or twice a week.
I think a big problem I have is I dont really know how to run slow. Im a 6'2 and have a real long stride, so anything slower than my current pace seems like just power walking

Originally Posted by RustyD
You can run a 5K in 20 minutes and you hate running? That is very fast. 40 minutes for a 15 mile bike is very fast also, 22.5 mph. If you are really that fast, then I think you'll do just fine :-)
Well I only really started running around the block again within the past 2-3 weeks and my loop is a little over 2k. I can do that in under 15, usually around 11-12ish and feel fine afterwords (other than my knee that is, but that should gain some strength as the training progresses). Double the distance plus a little more gets to around 5k. With 3 months of training, I can get my aerobic level up so hopefully 20 mins for a 5K is doable. Its not much faster than my current pace, and Im just getting going. Id probably be happy around 30 minutes as I think I could make up more time on the bike than I would be able to gain running anyway. I play soccer and volleyball weekly so Im not all that out of shape, just not in distance running shape.

As for the bike, I can average 12-15mph in my MTB with slicks on the local roads for miles and miles, so I hope with my new bike it can transition to be a lot faster. I did a quick spin around the hood last night and according to the bike computer I averaged about 16mph with 0 effort, just trying out the gears an handling and the like. Ramping it up to 20 mph was a piece of cake. This was with junk pedals and running sneakers too. Time will tell how the biking will go, but I think my bike goals are probably the most do-able of the three disciplines

90 minutes is my overall goal, but Id be happy with anything under 1:45 or so. My bike time is the most conservative, I have some work to do for the other two. Lets see how training goes. Wish me luck
Old 04-16-10, 02:04 PM
Tri Texas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I only really started running around the block again within the past 2-3 weeks and my loop is a little over 2k. I can do that in under 15, usually around 11-12ish and feel fine afterwords (other than my knee that is, but that should gain some strength as the training progresses). Double the distance plus a little more gets to around 5k. With 3 months of training, I can get my aerobic level up so hopefully 20 mins for a 5K is doable. Its not much faster than my current pace, and Im just getting going. Id probably be happy around 30 minutes as I think I could make up more time on the bike than I would be able to gain running anyway. I play soccer and volleyball weekly so Im not all that out of shape, just not in distance running shape.

As for the bike, I can average 12-15mph in my MTB with slicks on the local roads for miles and miles, so I hope with my new bike it can transition to be a lot faster. I did a quick spin around the hood last night and according to the bike computer I averaged about 16mph with 0 effort, just trying out the gears an handling and the like. Ramping it up to 20 mph was a piece of cake. This was with junk pedals and running sneakers too. Time will tell how the biking will go, but I think my bike goals are probably the most do-able of the three disciplines

90 minutes is my overall goal, but Id be happy with anything under 1:45 or so. My bike time is the most conservative, I have some work to do for the other two. Lets see how training goes. Wish me luck
Well, just judging by last year's results for the local sprint triathlon I'm about run, out of 433 contestants, only 2 were able to average 22.5+ mph for a 12.5 mile bike leg. And only 7 out of 433 ran their 5K in under 20 min.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.