Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1960s Graziella Folding Tandem 16" project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 05:32 PM

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Picked up this neat little folding tandem bike today. Will fix it up for my wife and I to ride around on.

Old 03-31-10, 05:34 PM
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Great project Kingfish. Two kickstands!
Old 03-31-10, 05:35 PM

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Additional photos

Original Bell

Rear Drum brake

Front drum brake and the most dilapotaded tire I have ever seen.

Headbadge, bad tire, original generator and light
Old 03-31-10, 10:16 PM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Oh my gosh, that thing is too funny.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-31-10, 11:21 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Where's the photo of it folded up?
Old 04-01-10, 06:02 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I'm really enjoying all the April Fools Day posts but, oh man, you've got 'em all beat with this one!
Old 04-01-10, 07:30 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I'm really enjoying all the April Fools Day posts but, oh man, you've got 'em all beat with this one!
You mean to tell me that you don't like our little clown bike?
Old 04-01-10, 08:21 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

On the contrary, I love it! Most April Fools jokes are jokes in the telling. That is, the joke is a lie. Your joke, however, is perfectly real (or your photoshop skills are truly prodigious). No, I believe the bike really exists. And I believe it really folds. No, it's no joke.

And I should point out, I commute on a bike with 16" wheels, so there's no prejudice there. 16" wheels are incredibly tough even with 16 or 20 spokes, and you have 36, steel rims, and --golly-- are those heavy gauge spokes? Those wheels will be indestructible. If not, well, I hope you have a very small spoke wrench! Your frame has an incredibly strong rear rack, integral to the frame, that would doubtless hold hundreds of pounds of cargo; but you can't put panniers on it, or anything wider than the rack itself, or you'll have heelstrike issues. So it's useless for carrying anything bulkier than bullion. The frame folds, but I don't see QR's on seat posts or handlebar stems; and anyway, folding it makes for only a minor reduction in frame size. And tandem frames are notoriously flimsy... and U-frames are notoriously flimsy, especially the folding mechanism.... And finally, it looks like the factory recognized the flimsiness issue and responded by retrofitting a removable double keel tube. That should reassure anyone!

I would be proud to own this bike, and I congratulate you on the acquisition. It's just that... all that said... I can't help suspecting that someone, somewhere between the marketing department, the design department, and the manufacturing department in the Graciella Industries complex, had an April's Fools Day type sense of humor.
Old 04-01-10, 09:13 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
On the contrary, I love it! Most April Fools jokes are jokes in the telling. That is, the joke is a lie. Your joke, however, is perfectly real (or your photoshop skills are truly prodigious). No, I believe the bike really exists. And I believe it really folds. No, it's no joke.

And I should point out, I commute on a bike with 16" wheels, so there's no prejudice there. 16" wheels are incredibly tough even with 16 or 20 spokes, and you have 36, steel rims, and --golly-- are those heavy gauge spokes? Those wheels will be indestructible. If not, well, I hope you have a very small spoke wrench! Your frame has an incredibly strong rear rack, integral to the frame, that would doubtless hold hundreds of pounds of cargo; but you can't put panniers on it, or anything wider than the rack itself, or you'll have heelstrike issues. So it's useless for carrying anything bulkier than bullion. The frame folds, but I don't see QR's on seat posts or handlebar stems; and anyway, folding it makes for only a minor reduction in frame size. And tandem frames are notoriously flimsy... and U-frames are notoriously flimsy, especially the folding mechanism.... And finally, it looks like the factory recognized the flimsiness issue and responded by retrofitting a removable double keel tube. That should reassure anyone!

I would be proud to own this bike, and I congratulate you on the acquisition. It's just that... all that said... I can't help suspecting that someone, somewhere between the marketing department, the design department, and the manufacturing department in the Graciella Industries complex, had an April's Fools Day type sense of humor.
I just want to look as cool as these Italian couples with their Grazi Tandems. How do you like the saddlebags?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Depliant_Tandem_16_-_01..jpg (37.2 KB, 77 views)
Depliant_Tandem_16_-_02..jpg (60.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 04-01-10, 09:16 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm

And if you think this frame is stretching the engineering boundaries, take a look at the triplet that they sold as well.
Attached Images
graziella-triple.jpg (36.2 KB, 68 views)
2279074029_a516866b&.jpg (43.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-01-10, 09:19 AM
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Something tells me that frame is probably pretty noodly when you get moving.... Also given the spoke count and wheel size, I wonder if they just lifted those wheels from a moped.
Old 04-01-10, 09:22 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mos6502
Something tells me that frame is probably pretty noodly when you get moving.... Also given the spoke count and wheel size, I wonder if they just lifted those wheels from a moped.
We will see once I get a tire on it (hopefully this weekend).

Here is the Grazi moped of the time. I looks more like a minibike.
Attached Images
Carnielli_Moto_Gr.jpg (47.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 04-01-10, 09:45 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by kingfish254
I just want to look as cool as these Italian couples with their Grazi Tandems. How do you like the saddlebags?
A worthy goal! Please update the thread with the appropriate photos when the time comes!
Old 04-01-10, 11:25 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think that the handlebars are correct, but I kind of like the ape hangers on it. It has the correct hand grips and bell though.

I found a couple of good Italian sites for the Grazi's. You just have to use Google ot translate them.

https://thrillergraziella.wordpress.com/about/

https://miticagraziella.wordpress.com/
Old 04-02-10, 05:41 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just went on the maiden voyage of the Grazi tandem. The rear tire holds air and I was able to put a used tire and new tube up front. All of the cables are shot so no brakes yet. But once I had a rolling chasis I just had to ride it. The chains were and the rest of the mechnicals worked well. Like any small wheel bike it takes a little while to adjust to how nimble steering can be. The next thing I had to do was get my wife to not lean back and forth trying to look around me. Everytime she did I could feel it torque the bike and affect the steering (at least until I got used to it). We rode for about 30 minutes down the lanes only. This was partly due to no brakes, but also my wife didn't want too many people seeing us until it was prettier. Neither of us have ridden a tandem before and it was quite fun.

I still have a lot of work to do on this old bike, but it good to know that it will mostly be cosmetic and lubing. Breaking it down and painting it will be the biggest job. Still haven't decided on the color combo yet. I was even able to get this heavy hoss on my Wrenchforce workstand.
Old 04-08-10, 03:18 AM
Marty

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Twenty (folding)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An insanely fun little bicycle I should imagine. Small wheel bicycles are fun, tandems are fun. Small-wheeled tandems much be an absolute riot!

The triplet version is surely designed as a family vehicle - Father, Mother, Eldest child and youngest on a rear carrier (or one of the parents and all the kids on the back).
Old 03-21-11, 02:55 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, Miele Clasic, Nishiki bushwacker, Old tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same bike in blue got it many years ago.

Most if mine is original with the exception of the pedals, grips and the rear seat. No bell on mine but I put a horn.

I think there was some modification with the rear crank / bottom bracket. Do you have an close-up shots of your cranks and BB's.

I will take some shots of my bike when I get it out of the shed. At the moment the shed is snowed in.

Mark
Old 03-21-11, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, Miele Clasic, Nishiki bushwacker, Old tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingfish254
I don't think that the handlebars are correct, but I kind of like the ape hangers on it. It has the correct hand grips and bell though.

I found a couple of good Italian sites for the Grazi's. You just have to use Google ot translate them.

https://thrillergraziella.wordpress.com/about/

https://miticagraziella.wordpress.com/
The bars look a bit wider then the ones on mine but hard to tell. I would guess they may very well be origional
Old 06-11-19, 02:42 PM
Ridey b

Location: Toronto and spend winter mostly in South Coast Jamaica

Bikes: Bridgestone XO4, Raleigh supercourse, Tourist, twenty,dl1,Dahon California, Jack Taylor tandem, to mention afew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
What happened to the final picture after .
I have been waiting to see as inspiration for my own graziella tandem project