Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please enlighten me on gravel bik

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Please enlighten me on gravel bik

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Or, if the marketing term "Gravel bike" hadn't been developed, you could flip that around, and buy a touring bike and a second set of wheels for gravel. Neither approach is wrong, but you're recognizing that it's mostly about the tires. The industry doesn't want you to think that way. They want you to think that even if you already have a touring bike, you still need another, new bike if you want to ride on gravel. Take an existing bicycle and just put different wheels on it? Ridiculous - you need a whole new bike. Please visit our "Gravel Bikes" section.
Having such clarity over issues the vast majority of the world seems to miss must have given you untold levels of success and fulfillment! Thank you for at least sharing this insight with the gullible and misinformed rather than keeping it to yourself.
Old 02-28-23, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Why anyone would deny the existence of these bikes is beyond me.
Quite the opposite. It's not denying their existence, it's recognizing that they've been here all along.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 02-28-23 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-28-23, 11:06 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
Well, excuse me! (Take that with a healthy dose of sarcasm and WGAS).

Well, considering the statement he was correcting was in the very first sentence of a long post that extrapolated from it, you GAS apparently. Your sarcasm is an own goal--if the point wasn't worth making, why did you bring it up?

You basically accused everyone who has both a CX bike and a gravel bike as having fallen for marketing tricks. Your premise was that they're pretty much the same bike, and that's just wrong. There's some overlap in function, but each of them is suited for something that the other one isn't. If you didn't GAS about the specifics, don't make the broad accusatory argument based on the specifics. People don't like it when they get accused of stuff for stupid reasons.
Old 02-28-23, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Having such clarity over issues the vast majority of the world seems to miss must have given you untold levels of success and fulfillment! Thank you for at least sharing this insight with the gullible and misinformed rather than keeping it to yourself.
Yes, it has helped on numerous occasions, to see through marketing hype and jargon, and look deeper into actual product distinctions. Why exactly is that an air fryer? Oh, right. They include a wire rack with a regular convection oven. But couldn't I have just bought the wire rack? Sure.

Why is that a gravel bike? Oh, I see....
Old 02-28-23, 11:13 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged

Seriously! I mean who doesn't have a touring bike just lying around?

What the hell, let's just make the point that pretty much any type of bike can be made more suitable for another use by changing the components. Obviously, the notion that there are different degrees of suitability and that a bike can be specifically designed to perform a particular function very well is just marketing hype (insert sarcastic gesture here).
Old 02-28-23, 11:20 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5120 Post(s)
Liked 8,457 Times in 3,993 Posts
It's that Surly is not marketing "gravel bikes" as a separate category or type of bike. If somebody went to Surly's website they would learn that Surly sells what they call Pavement, Touring, Trail, and Haulin' bikes. No gravel bike section. Then if you start looking at their models, you'd find that they promote the use of a couple of their Pavement bikes for gravel riding, and if you put the right tires on a Pavement bike then you can call it a gravel bike.

That's the point. You can take a wide variety of existing bicycle designs and put the right tires on it, and call it a gravel bike. That's what Surly is doing. "Gravel bike" is a made-up term, not a new classification of bicycle that was suddenly developed. We've always had gravel bikes, it's just that nobody called them that. But if marketing can convince anyone that gravel bikes are a new, unique type of bicycle, more power to them. Whatever sells bikes.
The terms "gravel bike" and "gravel riding" weren't born in a marketing conference room. They evolved from the riders and the events that grew from people riding their bikes together on dirt roads. The word "gravel" was used to differentiate the style of riding/event from road or MTB. Those riders started figuring out what features are functional/performance improvements for that kind of riding. Manufacturers noticed, responded, and joined in. It's not really different than MTBs. Also similar to MTBs, there has been an evolution of sub-categories within the larger sub-category.

I'm not sure why you chose Surly as your baseline for this discussion. Their marketing spin is intentional and targeted. What makes a bike a "pavement bike"? That sounds like a made-up marketing term.
Old 02-28-23, 11:28 AM

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 570 Posts
Well, excuse me! (Take that with a healthy dose of sarcasm and WGAS).
I'd have let it lie if your implication was that the bikes were similar, I can agree that there is some similarity. But that statement (We used to call it cyclocross) implies equvalance between the racing activities when there is very little similarity. Anyone who has seen a cyclocross race and a gravel race would know that. Cyclocross involves running while carrying the bike up stairs, jumping barriers, carrying when the mud or sand is unrideable. Races are typically multiple laps and take about an hour. Gravel races are typicically all riding over a long course and often much longer distances. They most often invole pack riding and often team tactics, much more so than cyclocross.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 02-28-23, 11:33 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7740 Post(s)
Liked 3,689 Times in 1,943 Posts
So ... I had a touring bike ... I changed the tires .... and the fork, and the wheels, and the stem and the bars .... and the saddle and seat post .... and the brakes .... and then the frame ... and Voila! I had a gravel bike.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-28-23, 11:33 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7740 Post(s)
Liked 3,689 Times in 1,943 Posts
Or, to be more clear .... enough of this nonsense.
Old 02-28-23, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3073 Post(s)
Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Here's a little recap of what makes a gravel bike different from a road bike. Let me know if I've missed something:

Gravel Bike vs Road Bike

• longer wheelbase (smooth out the bumps)
  • will fit much wider tires (smoother ride, better traction)
  • higher stack height (better low speed control (?), lower speeds don't need aero position)
  • higher bottom bracket (less likely to ground pedals)
  • lower gearing (lower speeds, don't need high gears)
Sometimes true. I've compared some geometry of gravel bikes and road bikes at times. Some seem almost identical and the only real difference being that the gravel bike will accept wider tires.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-28-23, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4645 Post(s)
Liked 5,180 Times in 3,201 Posts
Quite the opposite. It's not denying their existence, it's recognizing that they've been here all along.
No, they haven’t been here all along. Just because you could ride gravel roads on other bikes doesn’t make modern gravel bikes less relevant. Mountain bikes had different geometry and flat bars, suspension etc. Road bikes didn’t have enough tyre clearance or disc brakes. Cyclocross bikes were focused on short, mud fest racing. Hybrids were mostly flat bar mashups with no real focus on anything.

There was actually a big hole in the market, which has now been filled.
Old 02-28-23, 11:45 AM
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 215 Posts
I halfheartedly apologize to anyone who felt that I “accused” them of anything; though I will stand by the points I made, as the fact of the matter is that you can stuff the widest tires you can on your road bike, CX bike, TT bike, track bike, whatever, and call it a “gravel bike”. John Tomac rode a “gravel bike” when he stuck a Cinelli drop bar on his Yeti. It’s all pretty much the same if the frame can fit the tires and you don’t want folks to think you’re on a flat bar boardwalk “hybrid”. You can do 100% of the riding you want with a bike that existed long before the marketing term “gravel bike” came into being. Years ago, right after I moved to Philly, I rode a DeRosa “gravel bike” up and down the Wissahickon because I could.
The bike barely matters, it’s the rider that does, but if the placebo effect is that strong and a rider needs the label to justify their expenditure so they can tackle that dirt road, more power to them. I’m sorry y’all may feel accused but you can also ride on the same trails and roads using a British 3 speed if you were so inclined.
This is the same debate I’ve seen about cameras, when the end product is a photograph, the gear doesn’t matter very much (the exception being cameras with lens and/or film plane movements, and underwater gear).
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 02-28-23, 11:45 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Yes. I remember all the carbon-framed bikes with drop bars, disc brakes, 1x drivetrains, mounting points for a multitude of bottles and bags, and clearance for 50mm tires from my youth.
Old 02-28-23, 11:51 AM
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Yes. I remember all the carbon-framed bikes with drop bars, disc brakes, 1x drivetrains, mounting points for a multitude of bottles and bags, and clearance for 50mm tires from my youth.
Aside from disc brakes and carbon fiber frames, that sounds a lot like early club racers.
Old 02-28-23, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm not sure why you chose Surly as your baseline for this discussion. Their marketing spin is intentional and targeted. What makes a bike a "pavement bike"? That sounds like a made-up marketing term.
Just that Surly was a quickly-found example. Trek, Giant, Specialized, and Cannondale all have links you can click on and entire sections called "Gravel Bikes". Surly does not. You have to go a little deeper and read about their "pavement" bikes to learn that fitted with the right tires, several of them are also perfectly suitable for gravel. And yeah, pavement bike is a strange term too. Not pushing Surly and I don't own one. I do think that Surly sells to a more experienced and sophisticated customer, who can see through most marketing jargon and would maybe even roll their eyes if Surly started hawking "gravel bikes".
Old 02-28-23, 12:00 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11104 Post(s)
Liked 7,712 Times in 4,293 Posts
I know. With the money I have into some of my builds, I look back and realize I could have just bought something pretty nice. But that's not as much fun, or satisfying. Anyone can go out and just write a check.

"Poor man's Rivendell" is a common term though, and it has been used in BF forums before.
Yes I am well aware of the term. That term is usually used when someone takes an old Trek 90s hybrid or a similar old universal steel frame, slaps some budget components on that they had in their bins, and then finishes it off with handlebars that cost as much as the entire rest of the project along with some shellacked twine for 'authenticity'.
That, to me, is very different from the guy in the video who has a really neat and creative bike, but its hardly a 'poor man' anything.
Old 02-28-23, 12:04 PM

Yes, it has helped on numerous occasions, to see through marketing hype and jargon, and look deeper into actual product distinctions. Why exactly is that an air fryer? Oh, right. They include a wire rack with a regular convection oven. But couldn't I have just bought the wire rack? Sure.

Why is that a gravel bike? Oh, I see....
You are helping shorten this winter, that's for sure. Three of my bikes have substantial overlap; a 2020 S-Works Roubaix, a 2019 Diverge Pro and a Niner RLT Steel; each is set up for its particular use, and I don't regret purchasing/owning them. I enjoy the silly luxury of having the right tool for the job, a long-distance endurance road ride, a longer mixed surface ride or a multiweek credit card tour. But we all understand that this whole forum is laughable on the continuum of first-world issues and attempting to make judgements of other persons decisions is silly.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-28-23, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,232 Times in 623 Posts
Just that Surly was a quickly-found example. Trek, Giant, Specialized, and Cannondale all have links you can click on and entire sections called "Gravel Bikes". Surly does not. You have to go a little deeper and read about their "pavement" bikes to learn that fitted with the right tires, several of them are also perfectly suitable for gravel. And yeah, pavement bike is a strange term too. Not pushing Surly and I don't own one. I do think that Surly sells to a more experienced and sophisticated customer, who can see through most marketing jargon and would maybe even roll their eyes if Surly started hawking "gravel bikes".
There are times -- not many, but there are times -- when an emoji will do nicely by way of response. This is one of those times.
Old 02-28-23, 12:06 PM
Habitual User

I halfheartedly apologize to anyone who felt that I “accused” them of anything; though I will stand by the points I made, as the fact of the matter is that you can stuff the widest tires you can on your road bike, CX bike, TT bike, track bike, whatever, and call it a “gravel bike”. John Tomac rode a “gravel bike” when he stuck a Cinelli drop bar on his Yeti. It’s all pretty much the same if the frame can fit the tires and you don’t want folks to think you’re on a flat bar boardwalk “hybrid”. You can do 100% of the riding you want with a bike that existed long before the marketing term “gravel bike” came into being. Years ago, right after I moved to Philly, I rode a DeRosa “gravel bike” up and down the Wissahickon because I could.
The bike barely matters, it’s the rider that does, but if the placebo effect is that strong and a rider needs the label to justify their expenditure so they can tackle that dirt road, more power to them. I’m sorry y’all may feel accused but you can also ride on the same trails and roads using a British 3 speed if you were so inclined.
This is the same debate I’ve seen about cameras, when the end product is a photograph, the gear doesn’t matter very much (the exception being cameras with lens and/or film plane movements, and underwater gear).
You are correct that you CAN ride the same rides on a different bike. What you seem to be missing is how modern gravel bikes are optimized for their intended purpose...which is really no different than any other bike. My road bike is optimized for being efficient on the road. My MTB is optimized for handling rough terrain in the dirt. A beach cruiser is optimized for slow, easy comfort. Some of us enjoy the specific features that are included in a modern gravel bike, and how that enhances - or expands - our experience on a bicycle. I ride routes on my gravel bike that I wouldn't do on any of my other bikes simply because of what things the gravel bike does well that is different from my other bikes. The change of scenery/approach is refreshing to me, and helps keep cycling fun and exciting.
Old 02-28-23, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4645 Post(s)
Liked 5,180 Times in 3,201 Posts
So by the logic of this argument, there is no point in having any modern tool designed specifically for the job. Just make do with whatever compromised bike you can cobble together.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-28-23, 12:12 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Stop what? Stop presenting the other side of the debate, that "Gravel Bike" is a made-up marketing term with no real distinction? I'm not the only one that thinks that, and I would say I'm in pretty good company.
It really seems to bother you that you don't get to be the arbiter of what is or is not a gravel bike.
What is the debate even about? You have moved the goalposts so many times in this thread alone that I genuinely dont even know what you are 'presenting'. That should tell you something- you lost your audience due to confusion and straight up incorrect claims. Gather your things, reassess, and try this again in a week.

As for 'gravel bike' being a made up marketing term with no real distinction...so what? Lets say you are correct. Cool- you are correct. Now what? What has changed, besides you no longer posting rants? Nothing. Nothing has actually changed. It doesnt matter what the category is called.

Here are some actual truths, based on you know, reality.
- 'gravel' is a very wide ranging category. It encompasses everything from lightweight aero designed wide tire road bikes to beastly 2.5" lugged tire bikepacking setups meant to support someone for weeks on the road. It is OK for the term to be really wide ranging. If you want to narrow it down, fine then- gravel race bike, gravel bike, gravel adventure bike. There- 3 subcategories for you to write a dissertation on.
- 'gravel bike' wasnt created by a marketing company. The entire segment also wasnt created by a brand's marketing department. People rode on dirt roads and gravel roads for a long time. Races started happening. Races became a bit more popular. The alternative style of the activity as well as the endurance nature of the races was appealing to others. As popularity began to grow, brands took notice and started designing things to better suit the activity(frame, brakes, tires, tape, bars, etc etc. Bike brands saw a new segment emerging and jumped on it because it could make them money. And now here we are. Thats the reality, no matter how much you want to claim otherwise.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-28-23, 12:14 PM
Habitual User

Surly is heavy with marketing jargon. It is just different jargon than most of the big-name brands. Being different is intentional because that's the vibe they promote.
Old 02-28-23, 12:16 PM
Sunshine

Dude, 90% of Surly's appeal is based on marketing, but you think their customers can see thru most marketing jargon?
Oh my gosh.

Surly sells an image, just like others. To me, Surly's image is adventure, utility, and an alt-culture.

Your ignorance knows no bounds.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-28-23, 12:19 PM

With this logic, each kitchen should only have one pot, and the remaining is just marketing hype which we all know is ridiculous. I enjoy long-distance solo road rides at least monthly (100 - 150 miles) and have a bike set up ideally for this, I also like gravel and mixed-surface rides which is set up substantially differently, with wider tires, more upright, lower gearing and finally few times a year I like to go on multi-week to month-long self-supported credit card tours ranging from various European locations to South East Asia, this bike is set up in a very particular way to meet those needs. Could one bike do all of this? Yes, but not well, which is the whole point of this discussion.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-28-23, 12:21 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 4084 Post(s)
Liked 7,671 Times in 3,081 Posts
I would think that those "experienced and sophisticated" customers could read. But, then again, you seem to be setting a pretty low bar ...

Likes For tomato coupe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.