Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have pics of their drop conversion where they left the mountain bike style shifter up top with the brake handles????
Old 06-22-14, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
This is something I'd really like to do. I've always wanted a touring bike but they bring crazy amounts of money. Mostly I'd use this as a beater/commuter. Would a trek 800 work well for this? I see them anywhere from 20-80$ locally
Old 06-22-14, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle
Anyone have pics of their drop conversion where they left the mountain bike style shifter up top with the brake handles????
Mtb bars are smaller diameter so the brakes won't fit road bars. Even if you could kludge it I can't imagine it being very comfortable.
Old 06-22-14, 10:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Mtb bars are smaller diameter so the brakes won't fit road bars. Even if you could kludge it I can't imagine it being very comfortable.
Ha, well thats news to me, dang that throws a wrench in the build............
Old 06-23-14, 10:41 AM

Ha, well thats news to me, dang that throws a wrench in the build............
Just to be clear, I thought you were talking about integrated brake levers/shifters. Those will be too small, as will non-integrated mtb levers. If you have some separate shifters on a band style clamp, those you can probably fit on road bars. Then you would just need to find some levers. You can generally find pretty decent aero levers on ebay for <$20, or check the sales and for trade threads.
Old 06-23-14, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My local used parts place had some barcons in a bin, will any non shimano work with my 3x7 xt group on my stump jumper ?
Old 06-23-14, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4279 Post(s)
Liked 3,005 Times in 1,847 Posts
Are they indexed or friction? Friction will let you pair whatever you like with whatever you like.

Old 06-23-14, 11:59 AM

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My local used parts place had some barcons in a bin, will any non shimano work with my 3x7 xt group on my stump jumper ?
Any bar-con will shift 7 cogs in friction mode. I use Silver bar-cons on my 7-speed Rivendell, and Suntour Accushift ones on my 6-speed Schwinn KOM. And I've got the (ostensibly 7-speed) Accushifts to do 8-speeds in friction on my daughter's bike.

For 7-speed indexing, you'd have to find the appropriate 7-speed shimano bar-ends. They aren't made any more, but are usually labeled "Shimano SIS".

If you cannot find 7-speed bar-cons, you can swap any Shimano 7-speed downtube shifter onto a Shimano bar-con pod.
Old 06-23-14, 01:51 PM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
you can put thumbies on a drop bar. not 100% sure if that is what is being asked. Deore thumbies have a steel band which can be widened to fit on a drop bar. Shifting is similar to a road bike with stem shifters so if you ride in the drops a lot, it can get annoying. On my most recent drop bar conversion I went with brifters because I dislike having the shifters up top

Old 06-23-14, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by frantik
you can put thumbies on a drop bar. not 100% sure if that is what is being asked. Deore thumbies have a steel band which can be widened to fit on a drop bar. Shifting is similar to a road bike with stem shifters so if you ride in the drops a lot, it can get annoying. On my most recent drop bar conversion I went with brifters because I dislike having the shifters up top

Thanks for posting that pic. That's exactly the setup I was talking about in my follow-up post. The one you quoted assumed he was talking about combined shift/brake lever units.

Btw, cool bike!
Old 06-23-14, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
[QUOTE=MikesChevelle;16875065]My local used parts place had some barcons in a bin, will any non shimano work w

Hey MikesChevelle,

First off, go snag those bar end shifters before someone else does, those things are gold around this forum! If they don't work for you for whatever reason, I'm sure you could trade or sell with little trouble. If the bike co-op has bar end shifters, I'd assume they have a box of road levers, check out what they have. On the off chance that they have none, you can pick up a new pair of the black Cane Creek aero brakes that frantik is running on his pink/black bike (Cane Creek SCR-5 Road Brake Levers > Components > Brakes > Road and Tri Brake Levers | Jenson USA) for $39.00 but Jenson USA will price match any online prices.
Old 06-23-14, 08:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh they have tons of parts in almost every kind you'd want....
Old 06-23-14, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Oh they have tons of parts in almost every kind you'd want....
Sweet! All the better, stop combing over Craigslist and build your conversion at the co-op utilizing their plentiful parts. That sounds like a dream, any co-op I've visited around Los Angeles tends to be picked over. Maybe I can swap you something if you pick me up a set of bar end shifters.

I checked out the link you provided to "BBP" (Boise Bicycle Project), I'm really diggin' it man, looks like a super solid bicycle environment that's very welcoming to all levels of interest! The $60.00 a membership is certainly fair, not many time worthy things can you do for only 5 bucks a months. I'm also lovin' the work trade program, give an hour of your time at co-op and you get an hour of shop use, certainly time well spent!

Keep us apprised of the parts you collect and maybe a progress photo or two would be worth sharing.

Peace,

-D-
Old 06-23-14, 09:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They had a chrome fork that Im pretty sure would work that I was diggin. I t was a little over 18cm of steer tube length so I just figure a spacer or two up top will be good.................now what color to paint the frame............thinking either an orangey brown or dark green or dark silver pewter ..................oh the choices, after that some hammered 650b fenders to top it off
Old 06-23-14, 09:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thing is sweet

VINTAGE SCHWINN HIGH SIERRA SUPER NICE
Old 06-24-14, 08:05 AM

I think Mike has caught the bug.
Old 06-24-14, 08:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Mike has caught the bug.
Always had the bug, just was missing the time to put into it. A cross country move and starting all over will do that

Luckily we live in an apartment so I cant have more than one bike at a time, so the obsession can be slightly controlled
Old 06-24-14, 08:23 AM

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, that is a pretty great bike, and a nice price. These bikes have chainstay U-brakes, which are a bit of a hassle. But they can work fine with new cables and good brake pads; I have U-brakes down there on my '88 Schwinn KOM.
Old 06-24-14, 08:24 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Oh, and lots of '88 High Sierra info over on this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ierra-mtb.html

Scooper put up catalog scans.
Old 06-24-14, 08:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ill be tearing down and most likely painting the StumpJumper tonight, just not sure what color to use, leaning towards a dark brownish orange
Old 06-24-14, 09:47 AM

Ill be tearing down and most likely painting the StumpJumper tonight, just not sure what color to use, leaning towards a dark brownish orange
Is the paint that far gone on it? It looks pretty good in the pics. Just sayin...you're going to spend time and money painting it and diminish its value. Just my 2 cents, it's your bike to do with as you please.
Old 06-24-14, 10:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its not terrible but it definitely has a bunch of nicks and scratches......... Im not one to worry about resale this time around

I just want something different more than anything

What does powder coating usually run?

Last edited by MikesChevelle; 06-24-14 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-24-14, 12:04 PM

I've only had one bike PC'd and it was $85 for the frame and fork, one color. From what I gather, that's pretty cheap for PC but I was happy with the job so go figure.
Old 06-24-14, 12:21 PM

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unless you're prepared to put serious time and energy into painting it (multiple coats, actually letting it cure, talking like several weeks of time and a lot of paint), just PC it. Better results for cheaper.

If you like black or maybe yellow, you can probably get it done super cheap as part of a larger batch they're doing for another customer. If you want your own color, be prepared to pay more or wait longer.
Old 06-24-14, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes. Thanks to the mentoring of Professor Frantic in this column, I assembled a Deore 7sp indexed setup on my 1989 Mountain Cat 5500 Panasonic with a std road drop bar. Worked great. I love that bike!! Also: Thanks for your positive comments on my 1986 candy orange Stumpjumper. It's a great bike too but I might prefer the Panasonic. Good Luck to you and my advice is: Get er Done!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by kehomer; 06-25-14 at 03:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.