Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Burn it down burn it all down to the ground

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Burn it down burn it all down to the ground

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 01:25 PM
Junk Mile Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
You're talking on one hand about something being encouraged and deemed 'acceptable' by a sports governing body that is illegal. To bolster your argument you bring up the usage of an illegal recreational herb which isn't deemed acceptable by any sports governing body.
No, I simply read your reply differently than you meant it, and replied literally with an example, not intending for that example to pertain to this discussion in the way it did.
Old 12-27-10, 01:36 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Spring Water
You're missing the point. If Lance Armstrong goes to jail, it'll be because he's a doping cheat. His prison time will be because of financial fraud.
If San Quentin has a cycling team, he'll be quite an asset.
Old 12-27-10, 01:37 PM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How is that bad? Why do you care why he's snitching? Sammy the Bull didn't turn on Gotti until the feds had him over a barrel. You're acting as if Landis is somehow going against what people typically do...CYA.
My point is that if he was going to do the "tell all" why did he drop millions defending himself? Why not just fess up when he got caught?
Now, there's money to be made. And I do get your point.
Old 12-27-10, 01:40 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brianbeech
I assume if you held money in higher regard than integrity, it wouldn't be hard decision. Is there no shame anymore? Does no one think of consequences? Is there not one person in this world that you want to hold a high opinion of you? If my wife and child, dad and mom found out that all my success was due to cheating, that would be unbearable. I suppose if all you care about is money and have no relationships the decision could be easy.

Shame (2000 BC - 1970 AD)
Always there to make you feel like crap...
Let me help you here...this is not like Casablanca "I'm shocked that gambling is going on here." It's not like some domestique suddenly gets asked to stick a needle in his arm. This happens long before we get to a week two stage and if you weren't doing it the conversation would never take place.

Hope that helps clear things up.
Old 12-27-10, 01:42 PM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Well he clearly had bad advice, or at the very least advice that served the interests of others and not himself. He ended up broke and alone and changed his mind on what he was going to do. We're still allowed to change our minds. It isn't just reserved for our wives.
Old 12-27-10, 01:42 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Often, those who are SO anti-doping have this idea that the drugs won the race, hit the home runs, lifted the weights etc. Incorrect. I could take every drug in the world and not be able to hang with Lance, or Contador etc on a big climb, run a sub 10 second 100m, bench 500lbs, or even see a 95mph fastball (let alone hit it out of the park 70 times in one year).

Both USADA and WADA said that drugs are wrong because it is cheating. Drugs, according to this logic, give its user an "unfair" advantage over the competition. Their (WADA, USADA) mission is to "level the playing field".

This is not possible.

Let's assume Lance did take drugs. That is not why he won 7 tours. Not by a long shot.
Ta da. Someone that gets it.

Good post.
Old 12-27-10, 01:49 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

It isn't just reserved for our wives.
You'll see.
Old 12-27-10, 01:50 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trustnoone
+10

It really changed my perspective of riders 'riding well'. I liked Parkin's comment at one point about not being a 'doping virgin'. The tone certainly left the impression on me that doping virgins were about as common in the peloton as as literal virgins.

I can't think of any other pro sport where the line between the athlete and the bank roll is so short. The guy in the car behind the rider is negotiating the sponsors and the riders. If there are no results the sponsor walks and everyone is out of a job maybe tomorrow. Personally I can't imagine that if a major sponsor of say The Colorado Avalanche were to walk that the team would fold at the end of the season.

A bit of apples and oranges but the point is that pro cyclists deal with a a few more stressors than other pro athletes. When a cyclists earning potential for the rest of his career is tied to any given season or even a half season with no guarantees and the DS is in the same boat with the whole team then the need for results is going to always outweigh the risks.

In any other sport would Robbie Hunter still be in the minors and would both he and McEwen be scrambling for a job next year at the 11th hour?

So, aside from a vendetta against former teammates who are still successful and maybe a book titled "Positively Lying Back Stabbing Cheat - How I swindled millions in my quest for undeserved entitlement" I don't see what Floyd is hoping to, or will accomplish. Even without USPS in the early aughts cycling will still be the circus it is, maybe more so.
Your second paragraph is pretty much why I stopped racing and went to school and finished my degree.

Bottm line is that most here love to watch the epic stages in May, July, and September. They love the big rides in P-R, Ronde, LBL. Don't pontificate about what it takes to do that when you are tuning in and watching and supporting the sport. You cannot ride big races at the level that entertains fans and sponsors without some help.

Get it?

Riding around in a parking lot for an hour as as much to do with pro racing as touch football does to the NFL. And I see guys at races taking pseudoephredrine products with gulps of coffee to ride for an hour.

Don't ask riders to do the impossible and then criticise them for doing the impossible.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 12-27-10 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-27-10, 01:53 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Well he clearly had bad advice, or at the very least advice that served the interests of others and not himself. He ended up broke and alone and changed his mind on what he was going to do. We're still allowed to change our minds. It isn't just reserved for our wives.
Trust me I get it. But, like David Millar I don't give him a pass because he had his chance early on. He lied and took money from people to help try to defend that lie.

I feel sorry for him. I don't think he's real smart and I think he got awful advice, but he still had to make the call. But you are correct in that, at that level you are not just winning for yourself. A lot of other people make a living at helping riders win. When they do and they get caught, there's more than one person getting snagged, Liberty Seguros. Festina. For starters.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 12-27-10 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-27-10, 01:54 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Had Lance not doped, he may not have won any Tours. But he may well have finished on the podium, or in the top 5, beaten by a guy who was doping. I don't believe that the pda's really elevate you to some other level if you're already at the top, not at the level Lance and his competitors are at. I think they simply keep you in the (dope riddled) game.

I also firmly believe that Lance didn't dope during his comeback. It just wouldn't be worth the risk. Fartoo much to lose. And he still got 3rd last year. Obviously Lance is one of the most talented bicycle racers of the last 100 years. That's not particularly arguable.

Hey, I think this whole investigation is pointless, as is the debate over did he or didn't he dope in a doper era. But that's me.

Either way the Jets still suck.
Old 12-27-10, 01:56 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

And of course, EPO would really work for me. Hell, it might even make my knee feel better.
Old 12-27-10, 02:01 PM
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Trust me I get it. But, like David Millar I don't give him a pass because he had his chance early on. He lied and took money from people to help try to defend that lie.

I feel sorry for him. I don't think he's real smart and I think he got awful advice, but he still had to make the call. But you are correct in that, at that level you are not just winning for yourself. A lot of other people make a living at helping riders win. When they do and they get caught, there's more than one person getting snagged, Liberty Seguros. Festina. For starters.
I wouldn't say I give him a pass. I'm just happy there's the potential for some light to be shed on the truth.
Old 12-27-10, 02:03 PM
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by patentcad
Had Lance not doped, he may not have won any Tours. But he may well have finished on the podium, or in the top 5, beaten by a guy who was doping. I don't believe that the pda's really elevate you to some other level if you're already at the top, not at the level Lance and his competitors are at. I think they simply keep you in the (dope riddled) game.

I also firmly believe that Lance didn't dope during his comeback. It just wouldn't be worth the risk. Fartoo much to lose. And he still got 3rd last year. Obviously Lance is one of the most talented bicycle racers of the last 100 years. That's not particularly arguable.

Hey, I think this whole investigation is pointless, as is the debate over did he or didn't he dope in a doper era. But that's me.

Either way the Jets still suck.

Not if you're taking something that isn't on a banned list. I have no idea. I only know that I don't know.
Old 12-27-10, 02:04 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Often, those who are SO anti-doping have this idea that the drugs won the race, hit the home runs, lifted the weights etc. Incorrect. I could take every drug in the world and not be able to hang with Lance, or Contador etc on a big climb, run a sub 10 second 100m, bench 500lbs, or even see a 95mph fastball (let alone hit it out of the park 70 times in one year).

Both USADA and WADA said that drugs are wrong because it is cheating. Drugs, according to this logic, give its user an "unfair" advantage over the competition. Their (WADA, USADA) mission is to "level the playing field".

This is not possible.

Let's assume Lance did take drugs. That is not why he won 7 tours. Not by a long shot.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Old 12-27-10, 03:26 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Not if you're taking something that isn't on a banned list. I have no idea. I only know that I don't know.
If you're taking something that isn't on a banned list you're not doping.
Old 12-27-10, 03:36 PM
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think he's saying that most stuff isn't banned the moment it's used, but later when it is discovered.
Old 12-27-10, 03:50 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Tulex
I think he's saying that most stuff isn't banned the moment it's used, but later when it is discovered.
Old 12-27-10, 03:55 PM
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're taking something that isn't on a banned list you're not breaking the rules.
fixed
Old 12-27-10, 03:56 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Daytrip
fixed
I thought that was the whole point of this discussion.
Old 12-27-10, 04:03 PM
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get that. But does that make you less of a scum if you do stuff before it's banned, knowing fully that it will be when it comes out? And yes, I'm sure these guys all know that stuff will get banned once it's known.

Are you saying that following the rules is all that matters, that violating the intent is ok?
Old 12-27-10, 04:03 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

I get that. But does that make you less of a scum if you do stuff before it's banned, knowing fully that it will be when it comes out? And yes, I'm sure these guys all know that stuff will get banned once it's known.

Are you saying that following the rules is all that matters, that violating the intent is ok?
If you're taking something that isn't on a banned list you're not doping
Old 12-27-10, 04:04 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Repetition is the mother of comprehension.
Old 12-27-10, 04:05 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Spare me the moral drama. It's pro sports. It's a friggin business. You make rules, you enforce them, we all basically agree why this is necessary.

If you want to stand on a friggin soapbox and moralize, become a televangelist.
Old 12-27-10, 04:12 PM
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think people are that stupid. They will either see the intent, or not give a crap. But they will get it.
Old 12-27-10, 04:15 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

I don't think people are that stupid. They will either see the intent, or not give a crap. But they will get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.