Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 08:43 PM
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
It's official -- I began commuting by bike today! Our weather was on the cool side this morning, nice and crisp with a light breeze and cloudless sky. We had some heavy weather over the weekend here in the NC Sandhills. Today was perfect for riding. My only complaint is the route is too short!
Old 05-04-04, 09:24 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Another pleasant morning ride, I'd guess around 16 C this morning. Was still laughing at the dimwit who tried to cut me off while I was lane-splitting the Sundale Bridge yesterday afternoon. He went one way, I read the move, switched sides and just blew straight past him, never to see him again. Ra!

That is all.
Old 05-05-04, 06:07 AM
Beach Creacher

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for coming by and picking up your Seattle area weather. 13C here this AM and SUNNY for a spring commute. So pretty that I made the loop down by the Bay. Ospreys are all over the place this year and their nests are full. Soon they'll be dropping their fish in my office parking lot (SPLUT!!) to kill them and bring them back to the nest.
Old 05-05-04, 08:57 AM

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations horatio! If you feel your route is too short, do what I do and add some extra mileage to the trip home. I ride about 12 miles to work, and about twice a week I extend my ride home out to about 20-25 miles.

Yesterday afternoon was a fantastic trip home. I had a slight headwind, but was feeling great so pushed it and ended up with an average over 18mph for 20 miles! On the hybrid!

This morning gave me great temps (about 60F/15C), with a 15-20mph headwind - just enough to make it a little bit slower and harder. Not that I mind, as it's all good for building fitness. I had a great experience with a very courteous road-worker through one of the office parks. He was cleaning the road with some sort of road-sweeper, but when he saw me coming up the hill he shut it down until I passed so that I didn't get a lungfull of dust. Whoever you are, thank you very much for making my morning more pleasant!
Old 05-05-04, 09:33 AM
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had an interesting experience on my commute home yesterday, a city bus was following me for about eight blocks stopping periodically picking up people and we finally met up at a stop light. He pulled up next to me (he was on my right, he was turning) and he told me that he was impressed at how fast I was cruising down the road and how predictable I was. We had a nice chat before the light changed ane we went our separate ways. Ahhhh, it's always an adventure.
Old 05-05-04, 11:13 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 545 Times in 270 Posts
Wednesday started out nice, clear sky & mild temp but its already building up with big dark clouds in the West. Not supposed to rain today but I my get wet on the way home. Don
Old 05-05-04, 11:25 AM
sport fanatic

Bikes: Trek 4300, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Todays commute was cold this morning - Irish weather can be very deceiving with clear skies, lots of sun and freeze the a$$ off you

This evenings - well, it's rainy and windy outside... I need to get some decent "Fall" type gear.

Last edited by Alrocket; 05-06-04 at 04:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-04, 05:14 PM
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride today, which I got to do twice thanks to a mid-afternoon dentist appt. Big clouds over part of the sky and plenty of wind to blow them around. In the three rides so far I've had a decent tailwind, cross wind and head wind -- the trifecta so to speak. Clouds and rain last night cooled things down, but a long sleeve shirt and shorts have sufficed. Sure was nice to get that middle of the day ride in, with it being warmer and the trail pretty empty. Looking forward to the ride home, for sure.
Old 05-05-04, 05:40 PM
orange claw hammer

Bikes: '00 IF Club Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wednesday morning, 8:00 A.M. 68 degrees F, blue sky, bit of a tailwind --
and a new cassette hub. Completely silent, and smooth as silk.
Lovely.
Old 05-05-04, 08:24 PM
fishman

Bikes: 2004 Rans V-rex, 1999 Santa Cruz Superlight, 1991 Bridgestone MB-4, 1967 Raleigh Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was my first commute too, well, since I was about 32 ( I'm 49 now). Why? New bike! Rans V-Rex, and I need to get in shape for a tour this summer. 15 miles each way on the commute, hilly, but man, what a blast....
Old 05-05-04, 09:24 PM

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
15 C here this morning, almost went for the arm-warmers (well, this is Queensland). A few psychotic morons out there (why did they clone Charles Manson and give him a licence?), but nothing worse than what I'm used to. Still waiting with baited breath for my altimeter to arrive in the mailbox, although it won't be very busy on my commutes.

That is all.
Old 05-06-04, 04:13 AM
sport fanatic

Bikes: Trek 4300, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a double-decker bus beeping the horn at me for taking the lane today... I was only hitting about 15mph on a bad surface (I *will* get up earlier so I can take a longer route in future). Damned cold too
Old 05-06-04, 05:27 AM
Cyclist and village idiot

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana S 2001 Trek 2200 1999 Schwinn Mesa 1989 Mangussa?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to be back riding again! Past two weeks were busy with meetings and family stuff.

The ride in this morning was nice. Not to cool. tempature for the ride home will be in the low 80's.
Old 05-06-04, 07:26 AM

Bikes: china cheap bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still cycling 24 KM like usual today. Today is a bad day for car drivers as car accidents happened many places in the city and causing major traffic congestion. When I was cycling home, frustration and anger are showing over the faces of many car drivers. I arrive home with a plate of curry and a smile from my kid waiting for me.
Old 05-06-04, 09:42 AM
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm recovering from the cold today, so decide to revert to the longer route this morning. It was a beautiful ride - the first dry day we have had for a while in this neck of the woods.

There is the chance of a quick "training" ride with a colleague tonight, which is always fun.

Cheers,

Ed
Old 05-06-04, 10:08 AM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25F/-4C when I left home this morning. No wind. The world seemed strangely quiet. Its nice to be back on the bike for the first time this week. Work duties had me traveling to some of our other offices around the state the past 3 days. So, I now have over 30 miles to make up for the week.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 05-06-04, 02:28 PM
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahhh, great ride in this morning, I'm at our south Minneapolis office so I got some extra miles in. It's up to 68F and sunny so it should be a great ride home too. If it wasn't for my bike commuting some of these work days would be pretty saggy. Many times they're the highlight of my day.
Old 05-06-04, 02:43 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtessmer
Ahhh, great ride in this morning, I'm at our south Minneapolis office so I got some extra miles in. It's up to 68F and sunny so it should be a great ride home too. If it wasn't for my bike commuting some of these work days would be pretty saggy. Many times they're the highlight of my day.
Sorry to hear you had to work on your birthday! At least it was good to be out for the extra miles!

Happy birthday my friend!

Bob
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 05-06-04, 03:20 PM
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The nice days continue despite the predictions of the weather folks. It would be nice if the rain predicted for the weekend fails to materialize as well (though we need the rain -- maybe it can happen at night ) Anyway hazy clouds with mostly blue skies this morning. Again the variable winds, but generally light with the occasional strong gust. Temps probably in the upper 50s(f). Not too many people out, but there are about 4 cyclists I see every day (well every nice day that is There is only one other "regular" I see when it is rainy)

I've been getting my average speed up as well, which is nice considering that I am carrying about 2/3 of my full touring load now. It has been much easier on the weekends when I put on nearly the full load. Seems to me my tour preperation plan is going to pay off.
Old 05-06-04, 06:12 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 545 Times in 270 Posts
Same thing down South Kodama, we had a few showers the past few days but nothing during my commute. I guess not every dark cloud is filled with water. I continue to rotate through my fleet with preferance lately given to the lightweights without fenders. Lots of good riding this week. Don
Old 05-06-04, 09:35 PM

19 C at 7am. Yeah, this is what we call "winter". My altimeter arrived and I put it on last night, gave it it's first ride this morning. Apparently there's a total of 27 metres of climbing on my commute. Yeah, I know, it's bugger all, but that's what you get living on the coast. Highest point was just 17 metres above sea level.

That is all.
Old 05-07-04, 06:40 AM

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was our official Bike to Work day in DC. So, in addition to beautiful 60 degree weather, we had lots of friendly volunteers all over town handing out stickers, ugly t-shirts, and fruit. God Bless them. Salt of the earth kind of people. And I think their hospitatility rubbed off on the motorists too. I don't read lips, but I'm pretty sure the guy in the pickup who was trying to turn in front of me was wishing me a "Happy Morrow". He even had the decency to use his middle finger to point to the green light over his head, indicating my right of way. What a great guy. God Bless him. Salt of the earth.
Old 05-07-04, 07:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There must have been 10 times the normal bike traffic this morning in northern Va. due to Bike to Work day. Too bad I didn't have extra room to take some food at the stops. I'll be curious to see how everyone does this afternoon riding home around the forecasted thunderstorms.

Then there was the VDOT survey:

"How long is your commute? 2 miles, 4 miles or more?

How often do you ride to work?" (The lowest choice was once per week - what about every day?)
Old 05-07-04, 08:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weather in Houston has been beautiful (shocking as it sounds) the whole week. I'm off on my 7.5 mile ride to work through the Museum District/Montrose area, down Waugh, over Allen Parkway, past Washington and down Heights Blvd.

See you on the other side!
Old 05-07-04, 08:28 AM
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a "National bike week in the UK" (12th to 20th June this year).
https://www.bike2work.info

These events do occasionally reach local & national news, but is hard to make them stand out against the other media noise of security alerts and football player transfer rumours... Still, I welcome anything that promotes cycling.

Good ride to work today, though our beautiful spring countryside.

Have a good weekend,

Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.