Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wearing UCI Jersey - Not appropriate, noob alert?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wearing UCI Jersey - Not appropriate, noob alert?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-11, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For that matter, isn't a pro team kit jersey also an award jersey? Riders must be chosen to ride for the team and for the honor to wear the team jersey. They are awarded the privilege of wearing the team colors by riding at their best.

Who among us can say that they have earned the right to shift Andy Schleck's gears?
Old 06-19-11, 10:00 AM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I mean, I guess wearing a UCI promo jersey is alright. If you're in to that sort of thing.

I wouldn't, but mostly because I think they're a bunch of taint biters.
Old 06-19-11, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It doesn't even look slightly like the arc en ciel. No reason not to wear it, except that the UCI is a bit of a questionable organization.
Old 06-19-11, 10:28 AM

Bikes: Raleigh R600 105/DA, Specialized Allez Elite 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenji666
Who among us can say that they have earned the right to shift Andy Schleck's gears?
I have, in non-cycling fashion.

"Gibbe yo gears Andi".
Old 06-19-11, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
You may wear it only if it matches your bike.
Old 06-19-11, 10:39 AM
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
For that matter, isn't a pro team kit jersey also an award jersey? Riders must be chosen to ride for the team and for the honor to wear the team jersey. They are awarded the privilege of wearing the team colors by riding at their best.

Think of the difference between wearing a team's jersey and a replica super bowl ring. Or maybe wearing your favorite pro golfer's brand of jersey and walking into a clubhouse wearing the green jacket.
Old 06-19-11, 10:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just received a KOM polka dot jersey as a present from a friend of over 14+ years for standing up in his wedding. it was given as a little bit of a funny gift as they know the whole culture surrounding leaders jerseys and posers ( I will admit I own USPS / Motorola / 7-11 but I bought those before I learned of the poserish implications, I like the bright colors, nd got them for good prices).

I'll be happy to wear it at any gran fondo / charity ride. As when I wear it, I'll be thinking of my friend and his wife and the great celebration we recently had. I won't be thinking I'm the second coming of Pantani or anything like that.

if anyone is gonna look at me sideways then that's their problem. I will cherish that jersey for the rest of my life.
Old 06-19-11, 10:58 AM
Who is Lance Armstrong?

Bikes: 2018 CAAD 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a bunch of non-attention-grabbing stuff from Castelli and LG, and when I see people with all kinds of ads plastered all over themselves I usually first think, "That guy looks like a ******," and then a second later, "Wow, he must be a great cyclist if he is willing to look like a ****** in public."

So to sum up, if you look like a ****** beginner cyclists (or at least this beginning cyclist) will think you're good.
Old 06-19-11, 11:04 AM
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kaimat
I wear a bunch of non-attention-grabbing stuff from Castelli and LG, and when I see people with all kinds of ads plastered all over themselves I usually first think, "That guy looks like a ******," and then a second later, "Wow, he must be a great cyclist if he is willing to look like a ****** in public."

So to sum up, if you look like a ****** beginner cyclists (or at least this beginning cyclist) will think you're good.
If I ever encounter you on the road I'll try to slow down enough for you to judge my cycling ability by what's on the back of my Zipp jersey.
Old 06-19-11, 11:06 AM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I'd wear it, nice looking jersey. Never raced in my life. Who cares, ya like it, wear it and screw the haters.
Old 06-19-11, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first got into road cycling I bought a yellow jersey so I could be seen....I never watched or kept up on professional racing and still don't. Contrary to what some may think here, there's probably a good percentage of cyclists that just like to ride their bikes.

Just wear what you want.
Old 06-19-11, 11:16 AM
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by megalowmatt
When I first got into road cycling I bought a yellow jersey so I could be seen....I never watched or kept up on professional racing and still don't. Contrary to what some may think here, there's probably a good percentage of cyclists that just like to ride their bikes.

Just wear what you want.
And amateur racers and other serious cyclists who understand the significance of an award jersey will glance at you, identify you as someone who's not interested in racing, and go about their ride. Besides, there's a difference between wearing a jersey that's yellow and wearing the yellow jersey. But you don't care about that anyway, so I won't bother you with the details.
Old 06-19-11, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I don't think anyone would mistake me for a TDF or any other pro race winner regardless of the jersey I wore.
Old 06-19-11, 11:34 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have beautiful French girls kiss me and give me a stuffed toy lion after every training ride. I had a podium built in my front yard so all the neighbors will know what a great cyclist I am.
Old 06-19-11, 12:12 PM
spookeaymarine.info

Location: Me, I'm in Central Alabama C.S.A. But my husband is under the bed. He's sure there is a black helicopter orbiting our house.

Bikes: Schwin,Ross,Cannondale.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a podium built in my front yard so all the neighbors will know what a great cyclist I am.
Oh yea!!!!!!!!
+1
Old 06-19-11, 12:20 PM
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Not only did I buy the jersey, I also bought this:

That is b/c I am the fastest cyclist within a 500 mile radius of where I presently am. Champion of my own little world indeed.
Old 06-19-11, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shouldn't it match the color of your tires?

Old 06-19-11, 01:25 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Again, why is this sort of logic only applied to the cycling world? When you see someone wearing a Yankees jersey for example do you automatically think he's a tool cause he doesn't play for them or wasn't picked by the organization to play for them. He's a fan of the team and wants to show that he is. Same thing goes for someone wearing a Garmin-Cervelo jersey or Team Sky.
Old 06-19-11, 01:46 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 5,291 Times in 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Think of the difference between wearing a team's jersey and a replica super bowl ring. Or maybe wearing your favorite pro golfer's brand of jersey and walking into a clubhouse wearing the green jacket.
Some people are so full of it! Heck, I was wearing full replica 2010 Garmin Transitions team bib and jersey on my 84 mile ride Saturday. Got it off the clearance rack at the Pearl Izumi outlet because it was cheap and fit me. Until my weight loss settles and I know what size I'll be I keep shopping for the cheap but good gear. I care more about how it fits and works for me than what's on it.

And you know what, I could care less what other "cyclist" think about me wearing it. Those were my legs driving me 9 miles up the mountain Saturday and if someone has a problem with what I am wearing than it sucks for them to be so shallow.

Oh, and I didn't see any of those "real racers" on the roads this winter when I was slogging through sub zero temps, freezing rain, and blinding snowstorms here in northern Utah, whose the real poser...
Old 06-19-11, 01:48 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 5,291 Times in 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by wrr1020
Again, why is this sort of logic only applied to the cycling world? When you see someone wearing a Yankees jersey for example do you automatically think he's a tool cause he doesn't play for them or wasn't picked by the organization to play for them. He's a fan of the team and wants to show that he is. Same thing goes for someone wearing a Garmin-Cervelo jersey or Team Sky.
Exactly, or just a cheapskate like me.
Old 06-19-11, 02:01 PM
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wear what you want. If you're worried enough to post about it though, maybe skip it? FWIW, I met a guy at the top of Mt Hamilton yesterday who was wearing a full on TdF yellow jersey. While it amused me briefly, I can't say I really gave it more than 2sec thought.
Old 06-19-11, 02:06 PM
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Some people are so full of it! Heck, I was wearing full replica 2010 Garmin Transitions team bib and jersey on my 84 mile ride Saturday. Got it off the clearance rack at the Pearl Izumi outlet because it was cheap and fit me. Until my weight loss settles and I know what size I'll be I keep shopping for the cheap but good gear. I care more about how it fits and works for me than what's on it.

And you know what, I could care less what other "cyclist" think about me wearing it. Those were my legs driving me 9 miles up the mountain Saturday and if someone has a problem with what I am wearing than it sucks for them to be so shallow.

Oh, and I didn't see any of those "real racers" on the roads this winter when I was slogging through sub zero temps, freezing rain, and blinding snowstorms here in northern Utah, whose the real poser...
Nothing you bought is an award jersey. You completely missed my point. Of course it looks like you were just looking to rant and quoted a random post so you could brag about some 84 mile ride. Congrats.

The point I was trying to make is that I can't think of a single person with any bike racing experience who would wear an award jersey that they didn't earn, myself included. Wearing a pro team's kit says "I'm a fan." Wearing an award jersey says "I don't get it." It's just like any of a countless number of social/cultural norms in different places/groups where someone's ignorance or ineptitude says "I'm not from around here." Doesn't mean that they should be ridiculed or treated rudely--and I'd never make fun of anyone or disrespect anyone over it--but it does say that they're not aware of a cultural norm in bike racing that says you don't wear some jerseys you didn't earn.

Last edited by DrPete; 06-19-11 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-19-11, 02:14 PM
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
Wear what you want. If you're worried enough to post about it though, maybe skip it? FWIW, I met a guy at the top of Mt Hamilton yesterday who was wearing a full on TdF yellow jersey. While it amused me briefly, I can't say I really gave it more than 2sec thought.
And that's kinda the point. Nobody REALLY cares, just like I don't give more than 2 seconds thought to someone who's dressed ridiculously in street clothes. If I see someone around here wearing a maillot jaune my first thought is "Nashbar must've been having a sale."
Old 06-19-11, 02:29 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would wear it it I wasn't afraid everyone would think I'm a cheat, er, I mean champ.
Old 06-19-11, 03:12 PM

Bikes: IRO SS / Trek 2.1 / Trek 5.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I mean, I guess wearing a UCI promo jersey is alright. If you're in to that sort of thing.

I wouldn't, but mostly because I think they're a bunch of taint biters.
+1 The UCI is the ultimate self licking ice cream cone...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.