Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Share those “Oh crap!” Moments Working on Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Share those “Oh crap!” Moments Working on Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 09:07 PM
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 513 Posts
I built a manual wheelie trainer. I figure I’m 45 years old, might as well learn to ride a wheelie now.

Part of the protocol is to take the chain off when trying to pop up. Somehow, in the bouncing, my chain got bent in half against the frame.

Thats a gold Eagle XX1 ($$$) with about 25 miles on it. I’ve shortened the chain and added a powerlink. It was already the perfect size, so now the derailleur is a little stressed in my lowest gear.

Ugh.
Old 05-05-24, 11:19 PM

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
I did The Classic noobie mistake a few weeks ago.
I had my new bike up on the work stand. Wanted to change the stem. Anyone with experience knows you don't do that on a work stand.
I took off the stem cap and the stem and all the head tube innards and spacer rings and washers from the top dropped out all over the floor. I didn't find one spacer ring and had to buy another one.

Lesson learned.
I can top that. After picking up all the pieces and reassembling, I tightened everything down with the disc brake on the right. Bike handled rather “sporty”. Worse yet, the local bike shop noticed it when I stopped in to buy a tube……

They were gracious about it. Probably seen a lot worse.