Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Backpacking pack as a viable alternative to panniers

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Backpacking pack as a viable alternative to panniers

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'm leaving on the next leg of my tour and I've modified the rack to better support my pack. I figured it pertained to the topic,

The white grill is a wire kitchen shelf. I used a vice and did some bending to better secure the pack and keep it from bumping my legs. Cable ties secure the shelf to the rack. Longitudinal and transverse bungees will secure the pack and support the section of shelf hanging off the back of the rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 001.jpg (97.5 KB, 12 views)
Picture 002s.JPG (97.0 KB, 11 views)
Picture 003s.JPG (99.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-19-09, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
https://www.rayjardine.com/adventures...Bike/index.htm
Old 09-19-09, 07:31 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Interesting. I bet many rangers would be willing to even let you leave your bike in one of their buildings.
Actually that is exactly what I did on my trip. I had cycled there earlier and I wanted a permit to camp out on the trails, the rangers said bicycles were not allowed. They said I could leave my bike locked up with them. That trip I had no backpack and had to camp at the trailhead. The next time I brought my backpack.

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Now that Fall is approaching you can hike a ways off the trail and bury your bike stuff in leaves and brush!
That is exactly what I’ve been thinking for other excursions. My concept is: the bike and front wheel will be locked to a tree stashed in large black plastic bags. Plus I’ll take the wheel skewers out and hide them elsewhere (or carry them with me).
Old 09-19-09, 09:37 PM
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the look of your pack on rack setup in your initial post.

Maybe find a way to enlarge the platform on your rack - maybe a wire shelf (I'm thinking the same sort of material the Wald baskets are made of) or a cut-down milk crate. Pack the heaviest stuff close to the seat post and use straps or bungee cords to hold it on.

Presumably if you're using a golite pack you don't have too heavy or bulky a load anyway...

edit -----

I actually prefer the look of the previous setup as the white rack you put on forces the bag further back. This might make handling on slopes a bit worse.
Old 09-21-09, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Cave, I weighed my pack before heading out, it is 28 lb base and 8.5 lb of food. I did concentrate most of the weight forward over the rack.

I prefer the look of my previous setup as well. However, the pack annoyingly hit my legs so it had to be shifted back.