Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My First Brooks Saddle

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My First Brooks Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 03:49 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisM2097
I rode for about 2.5 hours yesterday. No soreness. No numbness.

I think I need to shift the seat forward a bit, though, as I feel myself resting on my 'taint', and not on my sit bones. I can't really tilt the nose up any further, since it's already starting to interfere with my sensitive parts.
If I ever wanted to add the weight of a leather saddle the Brooks Imperial might interest me. There is a reason saddles are about as individual a choice as any one we as cyclists make. The old Brooks did not solve my saddle issues and so I looked elsewhere. After I found the Cutout saddle than worked for me it took no break in time and will more than likely be my future saddle of choice. If I were to consider a touring saddle however an Imperial or whatever that company that has made a Brooks like cutout saddle for years. Depending on your natural pelvic tilt the nose up or down even on a Brooks will differ between you and any number of other riders. Also depending on your fitness level and core strength depends on you pelvic tilt to some degree. So I would suggest that once you satisfy your sit bones with a break in then play wit the tilt till you get it where you want. ( If that never happnes look into an Imperial. )
Old 10-10-12, 01:39 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
After I found the Cutout saddle than worked for me it took no break in time and will more than likely be my future saddle of choice. If I were to consider a touring saddle however an Imperial or whatever that company that has made a Brooks like cutout saddle for years.
That would be John Marston of Wolverhamton, yes?

Old 10-10-12, 02:28 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Good one, John.

One of the first things I did after installing a Brooks on my Diamondback was to remove the QR cam lever and cap from the seatpost clamp. Just use a washer to give the bolt a good surface to bear against, and then your saddle will be a little harder to steal.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-10-12, 03:28 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Mudguards help..

Proofide goes on the bottom side of the leather , keep a plastic bag or 2 on hand
to keep it dry from Condensation-Dew and Rain from above ..
Old 10-10-12, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My B17 is tilted up even more. Finding the correct tilt seems to be critical for comfort with a B17.
Old 10-10-12, 03:45 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Mudguards help..

Proofide goes on the bottom side of the leather , keep a plastic bag or 2 on hand
to keep it dry from Condensation-Dew and Rain from above ..
I've got fenders and a rear rack. I've applied Proofide to both sides of the leather.
Old 10-10-12, 03:50 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisM2097
I rode for about 2.5 hours yesterday. No soreness. No numbness.
You're going to be good.

Honestly, I think that many of the stories about "breaking in" Brooks saddles are overstated. Don't ride on it if it's sopping wet and give it a shot of Profide once or twice a year and you'll be fine.
Old 10-12-12, 12:48 PM
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been thinking for a while about switching to a Brooks on my commuter. Right now I'm using an Adamo Race, not bad, but I get sore spots by the end of the week (I'm 5'10", 175lbs, not much fat).

Anyway, I was considering the B17, but I read that if there's a significant saddle top bar drop, one should consider the B-17 Narrow instead. Thought I'd snap a picture and get some opinions.

Old 10-15-12, 03:06 AM

Bikes: A hardtail mtb and a roadbike *** commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had mine for a while now... maybe theres is 300-400 km on it. It was a New Old Stock from ebay. Made in 1977 with the nose slightly bending left. It took >200 km before the saddle comform to by bum. I had experimented on the tilt a couple of times. When using drop bar, it is almost level. But now I am using straight bar and raise the height on the stem, I had to tilt the nose up slightly, to avoid feeling cramped between the saddle and the cockpit.
The best thing for me in using the B17 is how my gonad does not feel hot nor numb after riding in the saddle even for long rides. This is the biggest difference I felt after changing from myriads of saddles before, and I notice the difference even before the B17 was broken in.
Old 10-15-12, 12:57 PM
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love Brooks. I wouldn't use anything else.
Old 10-15-12, 01:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went for a couple of rides on my MTB (with the old gel Serfas RX saddle) - totaling about 3 hours of saddle-time yesterday. I'm convinced that I need to get a leather saddle for that bike, too. Just 35 minutes into the first ride, and I started getting uncomfortable, and had to stand & pedal for a while, shift positions, etc.

Got back on the Brooks this morning for my commute, and it felt great. Went for a quick ride at lunch to pick up some food...I found out wearing jeans isn't ideal for this type of saddle, but it was bearable.

Not sure if I'll get the same saddle (B17), or try a different make/model. I've been wanting to try out the Selle An-Atomica Titanico - but the price is pretty steep at $180. They had them on sale for $50 off a couple months ago...I should have pulled the trigger.

Last edited by ChrisM2097; 10-15-12 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-16-12, 08:37 AM
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I decided to try out the B17N, I'll have it tomorrow, can't wait to try it out on Thursday's commute to work.
Old 10-16-12, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwayne
I decided to try out the B17N, I'll have it tomorrow, can't wait to try it out on Thursday's commute to work.
Great! Let us know what you think.

I'm going to have to put some lock-tite on the seatpost bolts. I found out one of them was a bit loose on my commute home yesterday, and threw off the angle of the seat when I hit a pothole (nose down). I stopped a couple miles later to adjust it, but I over-adjusted, and put the nose too far up. The commute home wasn't very comfortable, but it was OK. Gotta re-adjust it before my next ride.

At least I know the angle that works good for me - nose 1" higher than the rear. I place a screwdriver handle (about 1" thick) on the rear of the saddle, and a level from the nose to the screwdriver handle. Bubble should be centered.