Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cool weather riding gear?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cool weather riding gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
What do you all recommend for riding in temps from 40-65?
If layering is your strategy, all you need are:

- regular jersey & bib shorts
- wind vest
- arm warmer
- knee warmer
- toe covers
- skull cap (that covers ears)
- neck gator
- long finger gloves

55-65: regular jersey, bib shorts, vest

50-55: add arm warmer, knee warmer, toe covers, long finger gloves

40-50: add skull cap, neck gator

If you want to splurge a bit, then get the Castelli Omloop thermal big shorts and Perfetto jersey. Those are wonderful technical pieces that can handle wide temp ranges and weather conditions.
Old 02-16-17, 02:10 PM

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
55-65: regular jersey, bib shorts, vest

50-55: add arm warmer, knee warmer, toe covers, long finger gloves

40-50: add skull cap, neck gator
I have to remind myself to look at people's locations, because not everyone lives somewhere that brings on decent cold adaptation.

On a bike with CF brake levers I'm still in fingerless gloves down to freezing. It'd have to be pretty cold to consider toe covers. At 35+ a skull cap starts to get too sweaty and I regret bringing it. It'd have to be well below freezing for me to consider toe covers unless it was wet.

The benefit of living in the upper midwest is that we can visit Florida in the winter and still go to the beach when it's cloudy and 65 and still enjoy the wonderful, warm weather. Meanwhile the locals are all bundled up in heavy coats huddling for warmth.
Old 02-16-17, 02:37 PM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I can go in short sleeves with a base layer till about 60. Long finger (thin) gloves and arm warmers below that.

As soon as I need leg warmers (~50 degrees), I just switch to Zwift. Not a winner. Sad!
Old 02-16-17, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Arm warmers, knee warmers, and a wind vest gets me through most of that range.
^^^
Yep. With a base short sleeve LG brand wicker undershirt, that's my plan from 40-50 degrees. Above 50 I lose the knee warmers and the vest. Above 55 I use the sun blocker arm warmers. Above 60 it's just the short sleeve jersey.
Old 02-16-17, 05:36 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
What do you all recommend for riding in temps from 40-65?
55+ : shorts and short sleeve jersey
50: shorts, short sleeve jersey with sun/thermal jersey without, and wind shell
45: shorts, no chamois thermal tights, thermal jersey, wind shell, gloves, maybe shoe covers
40: shorts, no chamois thermal tights, thermal jersey, wind shell with sun/thermal jacket without, gloves, shoe covers

The Louis Garneau race fit speed zone wind jacket has arm coverage lacking in a vest, a cut out to get at your jersey pockets, and fits in a pocket. If it's cold enough for a vest, it's cold enough I don't want my arms in the breeze.

Voler and Louis Garneau both make nice race fit thermal jerseys. Volers have small pockets, but their XS is a nice size in between LG XXS and LG XS. LGs have more insulation. Verge Sport makes nice thermal aero jerseys with less insulation than LG and Voler.

Thermal jerseys are OK without a top layer up to 60 when it warms up. If it's going to get toastier but starts out cold I'll wear one over my short sleeve jersey.

Riding the same chamois two days in a row is gross so I have a pair of LG thermal tights without one I don't feel bad about washing weekly.

Always shoe covers when the ground is wet. I hate riding with wet feet and soggy socks.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-16-17 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 05:39 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
On a bike with CF brake levers I'm still in fingerless gloves down to freezing.
I was pleasantly surprised at how much nicer carbon fiber brake levers feel when it gets cool but not cold enough for gloves.