Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

making a presta fit a schrader valve opening and other options for my situation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

making a presta fit a schrader valve opening and other options for my situation

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 03:39 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6279 Post(s)
Liked 4,323 Times in 2,422 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
This. 700x28-32/35 and 27x1-1/4 tubes are generally the same thing, most of the boxes I have on the shelf list both.
Except that Helmart's tubes use different valves for the fancy European tubes (700C, presta) and the tubes for good ol' obsolete 'Merican 27" tubes (schrader). It's worth looking at the boxes in Helmart.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-20-17, 05:29 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Going on 4 years not stepping foot in a Wal-Mart. They are not a bike shop so I don't buy bike related stuff there. Just like I don't at Target or any big box store. I know nothing of the quality of their stuff because I simply don't go there. It's not about being a snob, but about being well prepared. Get extra tubes, get a patch kit, get the adapter if you need it, and be prepared.
SO, if for some reason you are not prepared, blow out a tube, you'd rather walk or call for a ride than stopping at Wal-Mart, who more than likely sells the exact same tube coming from any of the online retailers just with a different name? Seems silly to me.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Except that Helmart's tubes use different valves for the fancy European tubes (700C, presta) and the tubes for good ol' obsolete 'Merican 27" tubes (schrader). It's worth looking at the boxes in Helmart.
Yeah, I meant about the sizing bit. Same thing size wise.
Old 01-20-17, 05:34 PM

Bikes: motobecane outcast 29er singlespeed and nashbar singlespeed road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went with the patch kit called slime skabs.

Also got some green tube slime sealant to pump inside the tube.

I hope they go well together and thought that this way the tube is sealed from the inside as well as out.

some people say don't trust the tube after its been patched, others say that if you do it right you have a whole new tube for less than the price of a new one.

will see if it has air still in it tomorrow morning and dont go too far until I have some confidence it will hold
Old 01-21-17, 12:05 AM

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
SO, if for some reason you are not prepared, blow out a tube, you'd rather walk or call for a ride than stopping at Wal-Mart, who more than likely sells the exact same tube coming from any of the online retailers just with a different name? Seems silly to me.

Yeah, I meant about the sizing bit. Same thing size wise.
If for some reason I am not prepared, I would rather walk or call for a ride. I don't do Wal-Mart. I have my reasons. That is why I ride prepared. I ride tires with some sort of flat protection and carry the necessary stuff to change one if needed. This is not hard to do.
Old 01-21-17, 12:10 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If for some reason I am not prepared, I would rather walk or call for a ride. I don't do Wal-Mart. I have my reasons.
Well, that seems utterly ridiculous that you could solve the problem but refuse, but to each their own.
Old 01-21-17, 12:22 AM

Well, that seems utterly ridiculous that you could solve the problem but refuse, but to each their own.
The problem is solved. I carry what I need so that when I need it, I have it. There are 3 Wal-Marts in this town, and about 11 bike shops I think it is. My chances of finding a shop that is closer is far greater than a Wal-Mart. I refuse to go to Wal-Mart for reasons that are irrelevant to this conversation.
Old 01-21-17, 02:19 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
There the inner valve hole to consider. There’s a glob of rubber that holds the Presta stem onto the tube. I assume there is an industry standard to the glob’s dimensions, but I’ve had Presta tubes fail right at the junction where the stem/glob and tube contact the inner hole drilled for a Schrader valve. These cuts are mostly unrepairable. On my touring wheels that are drilled for Schrader but run Presta, I fit one of the rubber grommets pictured an earlier post into the inner hole. On one tour where I had a tube fail right at the stem (no grommet) I had my MacGyver moment and cut a small X into a standard inner tube patch and forced the valve of the spare tube through the cut. Over 2000 Km without a blink.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 01-21-17, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by TreyWestgate
Went with the patch kit called slime skabs.
You're aware that those are self-adhesive patches, right?
Those are generally not considered as reliable as the ones that takes vulcanizing fluid to stick on.

some people say don't trust the tube after its been patched....
While I have had some self-adhesive patches on MTBs stay on for the rest of the natural life of the tube, its more common to consider them a finish-the-ride kind of fix.

... others say that if you do it right you have a whole new tube for less than the price of a new one.
IMO, that would be for the vulcanizing ones. Never had any issues with those that couldn't credibly be blamed on user error or old fluid.
Also got some green tube slime sealant to pump inside the tube.
The opinion on sealants is divided. Some say they clog the valve, don't seal good enough and that the residue makes a flat harder to patch. I've been reasonably happy with them for MTB use. Either way, pressure/size of hole will eventually limit their function.
.... thought that this way the tube is sealed from the inside as well as out.
IMO, it doesn't work like that. One flat, one repair. Either its good enough or it isn't. If it isn't, layering up isn't going to help.
Old 01-21-17, 10:39 AM

I will give a prime example of my preparation. Getting ready to go on a solo ride in a bit here. I will not be near any Wal-Mart's so I have the following things to keep me rolling:

Spare 700x23 tube from my LBS (Q Tubes) and they have always been very reliable for me
Park Tool tire lever
Park Tool patch kit (very small)
BlackBurn high pressure Presta specific mini pump
Crank Brothers M10 multi tool
8mm allen wrench for the bolts on the rear wheel (fixed gear track bike)
Drivers license/credit card/$20 in cash
Clif bar in case of emergency
Fully charged cell phone
Fully charged rear and front lights

If something were to happen that I cannot repair, I either walk or call a friend. At that point, the bike more than likely would not be rideable so I am alright with it.
Old 01-21-17, 11:40 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i can't figure out why if out riding you have to ride near a Walmart in case of a problem, that makes not a lick of sense to me. i prefer to be prepared for most emergencies on board my bike like tenspeedv2 though i carry different branded stuff somewhat but that's not a big deal. i carry a spare tube, park self stick patches, lezyne road drive pump, park IB3, small folding pliers with blade and phillips drivers, soma steel core tire levers, ID card, copy of insurance card, $50 cash, spare bats for computer, presta to schrader converter, cell phone, key to house.

some stuff at walmart you have to be careful about buying, their tubes are overly thick, the self sealing goo they sell doesn't work good at all, their patches are bulkier than rema patches and their self sticking patches don't work at all, their lights are dim, their helmets are of poor quality though they will pass the fed safety requirements. i never found anything good for cycling at walmart unless it's for a kid.
Old 01-21-17, 01:11 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7711 Post(s)
Liked 3,642 Times in 1,915 Posts
The problem is solved. I carry what I need so that when I need it, I have it.
I agree with jeffnvk---if it works for you, fine ... but obviously you don't adventure much, and are prety wealthy.

When I was commuting five or six days a week and going for long rides on my off day, i often found myself in places where there were no 'bike shops." And I occasionally found myself stuck on a schedule and with something like a badly torn tire---I don't carry spare wheels, bottom brackets, seat posts, or bars either ... and I don't have anyone who was willing to drop what he or she was doing and come save my sorry butt (I still believe strongly in independence and responsibility) and could not afford the $30-$50 cab ride to where I was going and the equally expensive ride back home later. (when I tour, I Do carry a spare tire ... and have needed it.)

It might not be snobbery which keeps you out of Wal-Mart, but it is something ... I would be interested to see what you would do if You had a torn tire, had used all your boots to no avail didn't have anyone to call to save your butt, were too far from home to walk, and needed to be somewhere. You might even have to enter a Wal-mart ... or a Sears, or a target.

It's like a person saying he doesn't eat fast food ... get him hungry enough and see ....

Last edited by Maelochs; 01-21-17 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 01:15 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Also I second dabac's Post #32 ... glueless patches are emergency patches ... don't pump up to full pressure, and put on a real patch at home. A real patch should literally last as long as the rest of the tube unless you apply it wrong. I have Never had luck with sealant ... some have.

Most important---make sure you have all the tools you need to change a tire, and know how to use them. You don't want to be practicing on the side of the road in the dark in the rain .....
Old 01-21-17, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I agree with jeffnvk---if it works for you, fine ... but obviously you don't adventure much, and are prety wealthy.

When I was commuting five or six days a week and going for long rides on my off day, i often found myself in places where there were no 'bike shops." And I occasionally found myself stuck on a schedule and with something like a badly torn tire---I don't carry spare wheels, bottom brackets, seat posts, or bars either ... and I don't have anyone who was willing to drop what he or she was doing and come save my sorry butt (I still believe strongly in independence and responsibility) and could not afford the $30-$50 cab ride to where I was going and th e equally expensive ride back home later.

It might not be snobbery which keeps you out of Wal-Mart, but it is something ... I would be interested to see what you would do if You had a torn tire, had used all your boots to no avail didn't have anyone to call to save your butt, were too far from home to walk, and needed to be somewhere. You might even have to enter a Wal-mart ... or a Sears, or a target.

It's like a person saying he doesn't eat fast food ... get him hungry enough and see ....
It has nothing to do with wealth. It has to do with smart choices. I save my money and buy quality stuff, such as bikes with quality bottom brackets, and tires that last several thousands of miles so that I don't put myself in an awkward position. I have several thousand miles under my belt, commuting, fun rides, solo rides, mountain bike rides, and have only once had a catastrophic failure. Chain dropped into the rear wheel ripping the rear derailleur off and taking out 6 spokes. There was no riding that bike home on a Sunday afternoon even had I been close to any of the stores you mentioned. I see numerous mentions of "get an old steel mountain bike, or a C&V road bike" etc. I wouldn't ride one of those as they are not reliable enough for me. I much prefer newer quality stuff, and something that won't leave me stranded as I commute home from work just before midnight, when Wal-Mart and the bike shops are closed here.

A tear so bad in the tire as you mentioned would have me walking regardless, as I don't believe that Wal-Mart carries a 700x23 tire (that is the widest that I can fit on my fixed gear).

And you are right about the fast food, I don't eat that either. I make smarter food choices and put myself in a position where I don't need to eat fast food. I have a pretty good job and a second and third part time income working in a bike shop and random other things.
Old 01-21-17, 01:41 PM

It has nothing to do with wealth. It has to do with smart choices.
No, it has to do with luck.

You maybe don't see how lucky you are that you can always call for a ride. You don't realize that luck, not preparation, have kept you from having a catastrophic failure. You don't see that it is luck that kept yo from having to carry your bike 20 miles home.

I save my money and buy quality stuff, such as bikes with quality bottom brackets, and tires that last several thousands of miles so that I don't put myself in an awkward position.
It has nothing to do with wealth.
It just has to do with how much money you can spend. I see.

A bottom bracket can pack it in at any time, regardless of how much you spent for it. A tire can tear ... even Gatorskins or Armadillos. If you really think paying more for a tire (or any part) guarantees against failure ... well, stop reading now.

And in the very real instance where I tore a tire and needed a new one, I went into a Wal-mart and got lucky ... you might too, if you could get over your prejudice. And maybe if you had somewhere important to be, and also were facing a four-six hour walk home dragging a loaded and tireless bicycle, you might have found the courage to actually look to see what the store sold. Maybe not. I have this thing, it’s called “survival instinct.” It really helps if you ever want to be self-reliant, or go further than your hometown.

As for fast food---I abhor the stuff and really, being a vegetarian, there isn’t much nutrition I can find at a fast-food restaurant. The “Vegetarian Whopper” or whatever is just a sandwich without meat ... which means basically no protein.

However, on a couple occasions I have been in a situation where I needed to eat---for myself and to uphold my responsibility to others who were counting on me---and there were no vegetarian options. Rather than make other people pay the price for my preferences, I ate what was there. I can tell you, it was hard, hard work to choke down a fast-food hamburger ... but i was not so selfish that i was about to make others pay for my preferences.

But if you never leave your home town, if you never get out and into it ... if your sense of adventure never takes you farther than a phone call to someone who can come save your butt ... you don’t have to worry about any of this.

Obviously you think not shopping at Wal-mart and not eating fast food are better choices ... and I heartily agree. But if you have the option of shopping at Wal-mart or totally failing ... you might think you are superior because you have avoided the situation. I say, it is just a test you have never had to take, and right now, you have no idea which way you would go.

If you really think your “careful spending” (and your wealth, whether you admit it or not---not too many people in third-world countries can call for a cab any time they want) makes you a better person---Good. the world needs more better people. Carry on.

Last edited by Maelochs; 01-21-17 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 01:57 PM

No, it has to do with luck.

You maybe don't see how lucky you are that you can always call for a ride. You don't realize that luck, not preparation, have kept you from having a catastrophic failure. You don't see that it is luck that kept yo from having to carry your bike 20 miles home.

It just has to do with how much money you can spend. I see.

A bottom bracket can pack it in at any time, regardless of how much you spent for it. A tire can tear ... even Gatorskins or Armadillos. If you really think paying more for a tire (or any part) guarantees against failure ... well, stop reading now.

And in the very real instance where I tore a tire and needed a new one, I went into a Wal-mart and got lucky ... you might too, if you could get over your prejudice. And maybe if you had somewhere important to be, and also were facing a four-six hour walk home dragging a loaded and tireless bicycle, you might have found the courage to actually look to see what the store sold. Maybe not. I have this thing, it’s called “survival instinct.” It really helps if you ever want to be self-reliant, or go further than your hometown.

As for fast food---I abhor the stuff and really, being a vegetarian, there isn’t much nutrition I can find at a fast-food restaurant. The “Vegetarian Whopper” or whatever is just a sandwich without meat ... which means basically no protein.

However, on a couple occasions I have been in a situation where I needed to eat---for myself and to uphold my responsibility to others who were counting on me---and there were no vegetarian options. Rather than make other people pay the price for my preferences, I ate what was there. I can tell you, it was hard, hard work to choke down a fast-food hamburger ... but i was not so selfish that i was about to make others pay for my preferences.

But if you never leave your home town, if you never get out and into it ... if your sense of adventure never takes you farther than a phone call to someone who can come save your butt ... you don’t have to worry about any of this.

Obviously you think not shopping at Wal-mart and not eating fast food are better choices ... and I heartily agree. But if you have the option of shopping at Wal-mart or totally failing ... you might think you are superior because you have avoided the situation. I say, it is just a test you have never had to take, and right now, you have no idea which way you would go.

If you really think your “careful spending” (and your wealth, whether you admit it or not---not too many people in third-world countries can call for a cab any time they want) makes you a better person---Good. the world needs more better people. Carry on.

As for luck, it has nothing to do with luck. I maintain and replace things as needed on my bike. If the bottom bracket starts making noise, it comes out, is cleaned, inspected and either put back or replaced. That will not be the reason that I am stuck somewhere. Tires are always pumped and inspected before a ride to ensure that they are in proper working condition. Tubes are replaced as needed. Wheels are trued at the LBS as needed. Chain is inspected, cleaned and maintained with proper lube, and replaced when needed.

As for living in a third world country, I am fortunate that I don't. Again, I have made smart choices in my life to put me in a good spot and to be able to afford the things that make me happy. As for survival instinct, the 5 years spent serving in the U.S. Army has taught me enough to "get by" so that I don't get stuck.

I can call a cab or a friend when needed, but because of my smart decisions, I haven't had to do that yet. After that catastrophic failure, I walked the bike home 7 miles. It was more of a lesson to myself than anything, and didn't want to bother anyone with my troubles.

Person A rides through a bad neighborhood on a nice bike. Says to himself, man, I am lucky nothing happened to me.
Person B (me) doesn't ride through that bad neighborhood on a nice bike. Never has to say anything to himself because he knows he made a good decision.
Old 01-22-17, 07:58 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also I second dabac's Post #32 ... glueless patches are emergency patches ... don't pump up to full pressure, and put on a real patch at home. A real patch should literally last as long as the rest of the tube unless you apply it wrong. I have Never had luck with sealant ... some have.

Most important---make sure you have all the tools you need to change a tire, and know how to use them. You don't want to be practicing on the side of the road in the dark in the rain .....
i've been using glueless patches for roughly 8 years since someone showed me how to make them work, since then i've never had a failed glueless patch, however he also told me that really only two brands were any good, the park and the specialized fatboy which i don't believe the fatboy is made any more since all i can find is park and the cheap brands. i also won't buy the generic bike store brand either since i have no idea how good they are and thus won't buy them only to find out they fail later.
Old 01-22-17, 08:34 PM

I have used Scabz primarily, and have Park now ... I still don't expect a glueless patch to last like a vulcanized patch, but then, I haven't had that much experience since I rarely have more flats than spare tubes while riding.

If the Park patches are as good as everything else Park makes ... super.
Old 01-22-17, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lynskeyman
i've been using glueless patches for roughly 8 years since someone showed me how to make them work, since then i've never had a failed glueless patch, however he also told me that really only two brands were any good, the park and the specialized fatboy which i don't believe the fatboy is made any more since all i can find is park and the cheap brands. i also won't buy the generic bike store brand either since i have no idea how good they are and thus won't buy them only to find out they fail later.
Don't come on here saying this, you will be tagged as being wealthy. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-22-17, 09:16 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lynskeyman
Close to 40years of MTBing, and I only buy high quality stuff. I believe that it is less expensive in the long run, and tends to work better day in/day out, increasing the fun factor.
Old 01-22-17, 10:55 PM

I buy cheap tubes and have never had a problem with them. Fifty years of riding, I have tried the name-brand stuff and the cheap stuff. If you feel better with expensive tubes, then they are worth the price. I save my money for better tires.
Old 01-22-17, 10:56 PM

Don't come on here saying this, you will be tagged as being wealthy. Ask me how I know.
Yeah, he had the Extreme Good Judgment and Wisdom to be born into a first-world nation---he is just that smart.
Old 01-23-17, 10:25 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That slime stuff is nasty. Had a bike that had it and the rear valve sheared off during the ride. That was a disgusting cleanup. That was the same ride I found out the rims only accept a presta valve and all I brought with me as a spare was a schrader. #walkofshame AFAIK, I haven't seen a presta valve in wal mart ever. I don't generally give them my business, but maybe once a year I'll stop in for something, and it's never a tube or bike part but I usually at least browse. The last few times they have been out of stock of what I need.
Old 01-23-17, 12:25 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wealthy? or healthy? glueless patches are cheap, not sure how that is labeling me as wealthy, wealthy would be if I threw away a tube after every flat, therefore i must conclude you meant i was healthy, yes I am, thanks for asking.
Old 01-23-17, 12:29 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Close to 40years of MTBing, and I only buy high quality stuff. I believe that it is less expensive in the long run, and tends to work better day in/day out, increasing the fun factor.
i believe in middle of the road stuff, i think middle of the road gives a person everything they need without stuff they'll never use or don't need, last just as long, plus save a lot money on the long haul. but that's my opinion and not saying you're wrong. i'm not sure how fixing flats has anything to do with buying expensive stuff anyways, maybe you can enlighten us more on that statement you made.