Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help choosing a winter jacket

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help choosing a winter jacket

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 03:01 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Himespau, I tend to have the same problem. I'll wear a goretex jacket directly over a thin, long-sleeve wool tee shirt sometimes. If I work up a sweat, I start to feel clammy. It's a nasty feeling.
That's because gore-tex and other breathable layers only work when sweat is in gas form -- i.e. if it's still in water form, the waterproof properties apply.

This is why you have to wear a wicking layer every time. It helps get the sweat to a gas form that can vent through the membrane. This will keep you cooler when it's relatively warm out and warmer when it's cold out.
Old 10-31-12, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought the Gore Phantom jacket in neon green color
Old 10-31-12, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
That's because gore-tex and other breathable layers only work when sweat is in gas form -- i.e. if it's still in water form, the waterproof properties apply.

This is why you have to wear a wicking layer every time. It helps get the sweat to a gas form that can vent through the membrane. This will keep you cooler when it's relatively warm out and warmer when it's cold out.
This is wrong. Goretex fabrics protect the PTFE membrane with a thin layer of polyurethane (PU) on the inside face. PU only passes water through osmosis for which it must be condensed to a liquid state. That is why goretex jackets feel clammy, because they are. They just don't mention that part in their product literature.
Old 11-01-12, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Virten
Just bought the Gore Phantom jacket in neon green color
very nice! i'm eyeballing the white on black and black on white versions.. can't decide. it's a very comfortable jacket, and i like the removable sleeves quite a bit.
Old 11-01-12, 08:56 AM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not to talk anyone out of the Gore Phantom jacket, but the removable sleeve idea sounds great on paper; in real life, in the two years I owned one, I never did once use that feature other than first ride to test it out. The jacket is too heavy as a vest without the sleeves.
Old 11-01-12, 09:19 AM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale CAAD10; 1987 Cannondale R400/600; 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Homemade Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Tennessee and have similar temps to what you see in Alabama. Here's my take:

1) Think layers rather than one warm jacket.
2) A long-sleeved compression shirt as a base-layer will add warmth to anything. UnderArmor and the like are warmer than the thinner, cheaper ones. But even the thin ones are a lot warmer than you might think.
3) A compression/base-layer plus a thin fleece plus a wind-breaker shell is all you'll ever need.

If you're on a budget, go to Target and look at the Champion C9 stuff. Their compression shirts are $17. They have great, dense, but thin and light fleeces for $20-$25.

Cycling-specific stuff is nice because the sleeves are a bit longer, the back comes a bit lower, and it all fits tighter so it doesn't flap in the wind, nor does it puff out like a parachute if you unzip the top a few inches if you get too warm.

I mix cycle-specific stuff (for the fit, as mentioned above) with the C9 stuff and it works great. I have a Pearl Izumi thermal jersey that fits snugly and works down to about 45F with just a base-layer. Below that, I add a Performance Bike shell ($40) that is just a nylon wind-breaker, but again, cut for cycling, and I'm good to go as cold as I want here in TN.

They layers approach also makes it easy to fine-tune your clothing to match the day's weather, and allows more options to strip some off if you get too warm.
Old 11-01-12, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
This is a good site for browsing Gore bike gear

I'm using the Mavic HC H20 jacket for wet rides. It's a pretty lightweight jacket which is waterproof, breathable and has some excellent ventilation features as well as useful pockets. When it's not too cool it can be used with just a base layer or with a jersey underneath on colder days. Review here and here.

Old 11-01-12, 09:33 AM
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Not to talk anyone out of the Gore Phantom jacket, but the removable sleeve idea sounds great on paper; in real life, in the two years I owned one, I never did once use that feature other than first ride to test it out. The jacket is too heavy as a vest without the sleeves.
+ 0.5

I sort of agree with this. I have used this jacket without sleeves several times and find it works well with a long sleeve base and then the sleeveless jacket in semi-cold temps (like 40s). Also, the zips on the sleeves can be partially unzipped to give some level of pit ventilation.

What I don't like is that the jacket has short sleeves under the long. This is nice when running sleeveless, but with the sleeves and a base + LS jersey you end up with 4 layers in the upper arms and it's too bulky and restrictive. If it's cold enough to need a couple layers this jacket is less than ideal. I'd really like to find something that is big enough to go over some insulating layers yet still be roomy enough to be comfortable. The one banerjek linked looks like a good option but I don't think I'll like the race fit.
Old 11-01-12, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
My wife just bought me a Mavic Inferno Jacket, haven't had a chance to use it, but I will report back. https://www.mavic.com/en/product/appa...Inferno-Jacket

Old 11-01-12, 10:29 AM
NRZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Cannondale Slice jacket, it's amazing. I run a small baselayer underneath and that's it. That's for 40 and below. Above that I'm still expirementing somewhat. I have a Cdale Morphus jacket but really only like using it for the vest as the jacket just doesn't breath well. I'll be looking for a light windproof jacket to maybe use with arm warmers and the like.
Old 11-01-12, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4281 Post(s)
Liked 3,007 Times in 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by NRZ
I have a Cdale Morphus jacket but really only like using it for the vest as the jacket just doesn't breath well.
I have that. Thought it sounded so convenient, but turned out really not to be. And the magnetic sleeves sound cool in theory, but are much harder to partially open like zippered sleeves if you want a pit vent. It fits great on me and I think it looks sharp (and mine is loose enough to wear a couple of layers underneath without feeling baggy), but the lack of breathing is a big problem for me, especially in the sleeves.

Old 11-01-12, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I got a headband made of musk ox wool pretty recently. It's very warm, almost weightless, and it's so soft it makes cashmere feel like steel wool. Keeps my ears nice and toasty without overheating me, open hats are nice because they let you vent some heat.
Old 11-01-12, 12:08 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
I know these things will work, but do you actually do them?
Generally speaking I only offer advice if I have direct experience with my solution.

So, to answer your question, yes, I do these things. I often put a bag under my jersey, less frequently put bags on my arms (only if I forgot something like a rain jacket). I usually keep 3-5 shopping bags in my gear bag specifically for this reason (and to share them with teammates/friends). Come by any Bethel Spring Series, where temps are usually 25-65 deg, sometimes rain, sometimes light snow, and you can see what I'm wearing for the race that day. I hate being too cold and generally wear more gear on my torso than others but less on my legs. I also prefer not to race with a billowy jacket or vest - in fact I'll often wear my wind vest under my outermost jersey. I wear a rain jacket only if it's cold rain (to keep the wind off me). I've raced in my winter jacket but it's unusual.

Note: It's not like I'm lacking for clothing. I'm coming from a position where I have just gobs and gobs of kit - winter jackets, wind vests, LS jerseys (thin or thick), SS jerseys, bib knickers, bib tights (wind and non-wind proof), arm and knee warmers (almost never use them), most of them in multiple team colors (from past teams I raced with).

Plastic bags also work under booties but over shoes. So you put your shoes on, then the bag, then the booties. With normal clipless pedals (I use Looks) you can clip through the plastic bag without any issues maybe 10 times before the bag starts to fail. I tape the top of the bag with duct tape, around my ankle, creating a seal. During a rainy ride your feet will stay dry for the first 45-60 minutes; for a crit in the rain it's perfect.

As a bonus when you're finished with a wet or cold ride you can put your dirty kit in the plastic bag (although not the bags you put over your shoes).
Old 11-01-12, 01:05 PM
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would use a plastic bag in an emergency, but can't see how it would be in any way comfortable during an aerobic activity. Plastic doesn't breath at all so it would be like a rain forest underneath. I have a rain jacket that supposedly breathes but when using it for aerobic activities it collects so much water inside that it's like a shower when I shake it off.
Old 11-01-12, 02:12 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3619 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
You don't really need a winter jacket for those temps - just something to keep the wind off. Layer a fleece or wool vest or long sleeve jersey under it for warmth depending on what you prefer. Personally, I like the Gore stuff but tends to be on the pricey side. Performance sometimes has one on sale. The one with zip off sleeves is nice for those cool but not quite cold temps.
^^^^^
This.

I have two cold weather jackets: one an unlined nylon shell with zip-off sleeves. Until the temps stay below freezing, I usually take the sleeves off and wear it as a vest over a long sleeve wool jersey and silk long-john top, otherwise my arms get too sweaty. The other is a fleece jacket with nylon windbreaker material on the front chest only. This allows sweat to evaporate off my back while still keeping me warm.
Old 11-01-12, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
For a very warm and windproof outer layer: https://www.sporthill.com/products201...tGroup=2260-12
Vary your base layer, but with a heavy base layer this is good to the mid twenties. For years I wore a Pearl Izumi outer shell, but would always be soaked by the end of a ride. This has a long tail and keeps me warm as toast and not soaked.
Old 11-01-12, 04:17 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Assos
Old 11-01-12, 08:42 PM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bobones
This is a good site for browsing Gore bike gear

I'm using the Mavic HC H20 jacket for wet rides. It's a pretty lightweight jacket which is waterproof, breathable and has some excellent ventilation features as well as useful pockets. When it's not too cool it can be used with just a base layer or with a jersey underneath on colder days. Review here and here.

329 dollars for a cycling jacket is just absurd.
Old 11-01-12, 10:02 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by surgeonstone
329 dollars for a cycling jacket is just absurd.
If you consider how much difference a good one can make and how long you use it compared to a $75 tire or many of the other things we depend on, it's not so nuts. You don't even want to know what a good ski shell can go for.
Old 11-03-12, 07:37 AM

Bikes: 2007 Pergoretti Marcelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I layer as many have noted.

A thin base layer with my trusty Rapha Winter Jersey is good down ~30 for my torso. If it's windy, I throw on a thin wind jacket of some sort. If it's really cold out, I'll replace the Winter Jersey with my Gore Tool II jacket. I've actually used the Tool jacket for skiing, both downhill and rando, in the Alps. For my legs its my Rapha Winter Tights and long johns if it's really cold, like below 30.
Old 11-03-12, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my specialized Element winter jacket. In the 40's, I use a tight fitting synthetic garment under the jacket to wick moisture away from my skin, typically found in walmart or target for $15. In the 30's I will use the wicking garment, plus a thin wool layer like in quality winter long underwear (think smartwool). I kinda stopped riding whenever there is the danger of ice being present, having crashed on ice twice.

The specialized jacket blocks wind, and breathes a bit too, so that riding in 38 to 50 degree weather is pleasurable. Above 50, other long sleeve jerseys get used unless it is rather windy, cloudy, or otherwise nasty out.

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-rev...nt-Jacket_2466

For the lower body, bib tights till the mid 40's, then smartwool long johns under the bib tights.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hot Potato; 11-03-12 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-03-12, 11:23 AM
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this XL gore phantom II jacket. worn once, in like new condition. If anyone is interested in buying it for cheap, PM me.

Old 11-03-12, 04:03 PM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
If you consider how much difference a good one can make and how long you use it compared to a $75 tire or many of the other things we depend on, it's not so nuts. You don't even want to know what a good ski shell can go for.
Maybe, but I find a decent wind/rain breaker 12 130 plus wool in layers depending on temp gives me great protection and the options are much greater.
Old 11-04-12, 07:28 PM
Graybeard

Bikes: Spec. Diverge, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Pacer (ret), Surly Cross Check (ret), Spec. Roubaix Comp (ret), Spec. Roubaix Triple (ret), Spec. Allez Compact Sport (ret), Trek 720 (ret), Lambert Super Sport (ret), CCM (ret), Concord Freedom Dlx (ret)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested in gore jacket above, but can't PM cuz I'm a lurker.

Email to bill at billpeterson dot org
Old 11-04-12, 08:04 PM
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Maybe, but I find a decent wind/rain breaker 12 130 plus wool in layers depending on temp gives me great protection and the options are much greater.
I totally get where you're coming from. Until this year, I wore just a regular windbreaker with appropriate layers from any temp from single digits to rain in the 30's to dry in the 50's. Wet or dry, you can absolutely make it work with the strategy you describe.

But this year, I found a jacket that can give me better comfort with less layering in that same range of conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.