Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Is living in a high rise apartment with a MTB a problem ?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Is living in a high rise apartment with a MTB a problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 05:42 PM

Bikes: FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chriswnw
Oh, so it's not a done deal. In lower density cities like that, there's really no reason to live in a high-rise. I lived in one for a year. Trust me, they suck.
What didn't you like about it ?
Old 04-21-09, 07:51 PM
biking and fighting!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeo_max
What didn't you like about it ?
The main problem is that too many people live in close proximity and access the same common resources. I had a lot of low class people in my building, and I had to deal with prank fire alarms, flooding started from a sprinkler four floors up (resulting from a real fire), and various scum that were allowed in the building by other tenants. At the same time, I was sometimes bothering other people with loud music -- those hallways are echo chambers, and sound really carries. There was also a bedbug outbreak that spread through the entire building. Although i did live with some scum, it wasn't a project -- there were plenty of office workers too. If you're in a yuppie high-rise, you might face the opposite problem - *you* might be the one regarded as low class by your busybody neighbors because of your dirty mountain bike, who will themselves find plenty to complain about.

Having some elbow room is better. And you can look outside and see a tree and not another tower.