Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake squeal on cantilever brakes, cross bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake squeal on cantilever brakes, cross bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i keep writing stuff too soon but here i go - so i did the one toe in one toe out before it shuddered it stopped working i wasn't riding the bike so i was like alright >>>> i put way toe in it's screaching like crazy insane loud screaching from the start > i went on three distance time and just louder and louder so i tried toe out and it's right no completely silent - so just so that's somehting to try
Old 10-18-18, 08:55 PM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Grease on the brake studs sometimes helps; changes the resonant frequency.
Old 10-19-18, 08:37 AM

Bikes: 90's Norco Nitro, 90's Softride traveler, 90's Jamis Dakota, 84 Schwinn High Sierra,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Calipers

Disk brakes squeal, V brakes squeal, Cantilever brakes squeal. When standard set up remedies don't work... Just replace the whole brake caliper, and let the mfg of said squeal know you had to do it.
​​​​​
i have the best consistent results from Shimano brakes and even with their entry level Acera line I usually experience easy setups and long service life. With no squeal no fuss... I did recently finally recycle the growing pile of Avid and other brand name brakes I took off... I had one set replaced free by the bike mfg because I was persistent and diligent to document repair and set up proceedures that failed. Others that were just known squealers eventually got pulled from production or recalled.

So I say... Squeal about brakes that squeal because it's faulty design much of the time.

To save time I've just adopted swap it out for Shimano and enjoy. YMMV

Internal Hub Brakes don't usually squeal but even they have production runs with irregular drums or shoes that can studder. So I cut appropriate grit sandpaper and install it on the shoe and find a big hill to ride down while riding the brakes. This trick works on some rim brakes but it's easier to just sand by hand if careful not to overdo certain sections and create valleys. I use plumbers tape sandpaper wedged in between the pad and rim, then hand pull the wheel with one hand, and the brake lever with the other, or tighten the cable barrel adjust just enough.

You can quickly sand the pad this way too if you just face the grit out.

Last edited by MobiBike; 10-19-18 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Final thoughts
Old 10-19-18, 09:59 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by harihari
I am having trouble getting rid of massive brake squeal on the front brakes of my 'cross bike, a Jake with carbon forks. I have carefully aligned the pads-- they are not pressing air or tire, and they are lined up right. No wobble in the wheels or fork.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the immensely loud squeal?

chris
Replace the front cantilever brakes with a mini V brake .. ?
fork flex and the taught cable can work against each other..
I have had the fork flex of light forks move visibly at the fork tip,
when I put the brakes on ,
(Mini V brakes did not exist back then, so I sold the Frame/fork.)

in a CX race, deep mud is really effective in curing squealing brakes ..