Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

are 'new' aluminum frames really better than the old?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

are 'new' aluminum frames really better than the old?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 11:35 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4867 Post(s)
Liked 4,024 Times in 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
... Broadly speaking, alu went from whippy to stiff to right-on over time.
A small correction. Klein was making frames that were very stiff (typo - the frames were "stiff" not "still"!) by anybody's standards then or now in 1976. I know. I rode his.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-06-16 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-06-16, 11:36 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,060 Posts
It also reminds me of when ASI, responding to an inquiry I made about the source of the hydroformed steel Breezer tubesets, told me though they were declining to name the producer specifically, there were, at the time, only two factories with the capacity to do it, so it highlights the fact that the production of bike frames is not only highly monopolized by Taiwanese manufacturers, but that there are relatively few who may be able to perform any given process.
Old 01-06-16, 11:38 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A small correction. Klein was making frames that were very still by anybody's standards then or now in 1976. I know. I rode his.

Ben
Thank you, and that's why I was "broadly speaking"; I'm not versed or deep enough to even pretend I know it all! Thanks again!
Old 01-06-16, 11:39 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5906 Post(s)
Liked 3,537 Times in 2,108 Posts
I'm a steel road guy back from way back. That said, I had and rode for a few years a fuji cross with an Aluminum frame and carbon fork; that bike was sweet. Weighed right around 20 pounds with big tires and handled great. I sold it to a buddy but if I were in the market for a new bike, I'd take a long hard look at aluminum frames. They deliver a lot at a reasonable price point.
Old 01-06-16, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by exime
I was considering a new steel bike with a carbon fork but now ya'll think that the new aluminum is better than steel, even 853? Good to know. At least I have another couple months to decide before the season turns.

But lets not forget that Aluminum has by far the worst fatigue life out of all these bikes so you're purchasing a ticking time bomb while steel will be as good as it was 10 years ago. I guess many hobbyists like to n+1 anyway so they don't care and you can unload it in 5 years on craigslist to someone who doesn't know or cares that Aluminum fatigues and just wants an inexpensive used bike.

Or has the fatigue life improved too?
Fatigue life was always a bit a red herring. The reality is frames rarely if ever suffer a fatigue failure. They get crashed, welds fails, corrosion, etc. I'm quite certain my body will suffer fatigue failure long before my bicycle.
Old 01-06-16, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Fatigue life was always a bit a red herring. The reality is frames rarely if ever suffer a fatigue failure. They get crashed, welds fails, corrosion, etc. I'm quite certain my body will suffer fatigue failure long before my bicycle.
Not just a "bit" of a red herring. The idea that steel frames will last forever because the material itself has a fatigue limit is absurd. Good luck finding a steel frame that you can actually guarantee will not fail from fatigue. It's almost certain that the regular load cycles on any steel frame exceed the material fatigue limit, especially when you consider welds or brazed joints that might be under a constant load that influences stress in other parts of the structure.
Old 01-06-16, 12:49 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A small correction. Klein was making frames that were very stiff (typo - the frames were "stiff" not "still"!) by anybody's standards then or now in 1976. I know. I rode his.
Agreed. I rode Gary Klein's bike when we had him at the factory during the development of Trek's first bonded aluminum frame. We wanted him to see that we weren't infringing on his patent for using oversize aluminum tubing to increase frame stiffness. The tubing on the Trek frame was chosen to emulate the stiffness of a high-end steel frame of that time.

I found the Klein to be difficult to control on rough pavement, which was pretty common around Waterloo, but I only weighed about 140# at the time, and Klein was a considerably heftier guy.
Old 01-06-16, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I think the new hydroformed alloy frames are really good nowadays. I rode a Bianchi recently and had to double take to make sure it wasn't carbon. Rode really nicely.
Always felt Cannondale had great alloy frames. Love the CAAD10. They have the geometry down on that bike.
Old 01-06-16, 01:44 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7696 Post(s)
Liked 3,605 Times in 1,900 Posts
Add a carbon fork and seatpost and even a bargain aluminum frame is pretty good nowadays.
Old 01-06-16, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Reason is...the proverbial elephant in the room is Shape. Tube shape is the predominant knob to turn when dialing performance qualities. Yes material matters...but matters much more if limited with Shape. That is where steel and Ti fall down and move behind Al...neither can be formed in the shape of a carbon bike like Al can.. ....

Whaaaaat? Steel tubes have been multishaped, even internally reinforced at one time, and double/triple butted since the 80's!!

If there's a "proverbial elephant" in the room, it's both Al's and c/f *limited life spans*, and capacity for catastrophic failure. Steel will not let you down like that. I know a steel bike won't shatter into shards upon a serious impact, nor will one need to ditch the frame if scratched like C/F and if I stay within the yield parameters, steel will cycle on indefinitly, unlike Al which *will* break after "X" amount of cycles. When that is nobody knows.

The only reason I didn't buy a steel bike this time around, is because I could not afford a good one. I got, (settled on) an Al bike because I could get far better components with a top end Al framed bike...(multishaped tubes, double butted, heat treated, smooth welds) than any entry level c/f frame. That being said, the bike rides about the same as my old steel bike.

Nothing beats steel IMO for ride quality, service life, and "elegance". YMMV.

Last edited by Gweedo1; 01-06-16 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-06-16, 02:24 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 766 Posts
Originally Posted by exime
I was considering a new steel bike with a carbon fork but now ya'll think that the new aluminum is better than steel, even 853? Good to know. At least I have another couple months to decide before the season turns.

But lets not forget that Aluminum has by far the worst fatigue life out of all these bikes so you're purchasing a ticking time bomb while steel will be as good as it was 10 years ago. I guess many hobbyists like to n+1 anyway so they don't care and you can unload it in 5 years on craigslist to someone who doesn't know or cares that Aluminum fatigues and just wants an inexpensive used bike.

Or has the fatigue life improved too?
Ticking time bomb? My Masi begs to differ. My "other" bike is a steel Guru. I love both bikes and, really, I don't see much difference in ride quality. The both weigh the same to the ounce but the Masi is a 58 and the Guru is a 55. And, the Guru has SRAM Red and Kysrium Elite wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Guru 2014 002.jpg (59.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 01-06-16, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Ticking time bomb? My Masi begs to differ. My "other" bike is a steel Guru. I love both bikes and, really, I don't see much difference in ride quality. The both weigh the same to the ounce but the Masi is a 58 and the Guru is a 55.
You have no idea when that AL bike might snap. It is a ticking time bomb. Al frames do not last forever. Steel frames can. They do not fatigue if not stressed above their tensile/yield parameters. Al will eventually fail. I have an Al bike now, and expect it will last me 12-15 years, at which time I will replace it, regardless of how it looks. I know, it started "ticking" the minute I started riding it. YMMV.

Last edited by Gweedo1; 01-06-16 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-06-16, 02:49 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4867 Post(s)
Liked 4,024 Times in 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Agreed. I rode Gary Klein's bike when we had him at the factory during the development of Trek's first bonded aluminum frame. We wanted him to see that we weren't infringing on his patent for using oversize aluminum tubing to increase frame stiffness. The tubing on the Trek frame was chosen to emulate the stiffness of a high-end steel frame of that time.

I found the Klein to be difficult to control on rough pavement, which was pretty common around Waterloo, but I only weighed about 140# at the time, and Klein was a considerably heftier guy.
John, my ride was just a quick out and back before our club race on brand new, smooth road and I knew right away that bike was way, way too stiff for me and would beat me up on any kind of "texture". And the back-country roads of New England that race promoters preferred were known for their texture. I knew this bike was a breakthrough for some, just not me.

Ben
Old 01-06-16, 03:08 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL build, CAAD10, Bianchi Pista '13, Litespeed Antares '03

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gweedo1
The only reason I didn't buy a steel bike this time around, is because I could not afford a good one. I got, (settled on) an Al bike because I could get far better components with a top end Al framed bike...(multishaped tubes, double butted, heat treated, smooth welds) than any entry level c/f frame. That being said, the bike rides about the same as my old steel bike.

Nothing beats steel IMO for ride quality, service life, and "elegance". YMMV.
Personally I always have this problem with constantly thinking about upgrading my bikes. I'm also not sure that 10 years from now I'd need the same bike, with the same geometry, from the same material.

When an aluminum bike fails, it's very rare that it fails in a catastrophic way (carbon fails might be more common or dangerous though, still very rare). Any steel bike can develop cracks in their weldings. You can argue that's something you can repair what is usually true, but it costs so much that I'd rather pick up a new frame.

With life warranty on today's alu frames, I see no reason to go with steel even if I factor in longevity and serviceability. Do they look sexy? Yes. Are they heavy? Yes. Are they expensive? Hell yes.
Old 01-06-16, 03:18 PM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Harry
Was at LBS and new aluminum bike frames looked impressive [thought they were carbon on first look]. These newer versions
seem sleeker than what I remember early 2000's when I decided I didn't like the harsher ride aluminum provided [and got rid of my old trekie 2300]. They are 'molding' these different now I think; at least better surface feel.

Has anyone had a comparative experience between these new aluminum frames and the older models? Do they ride any different [LBS had cervelo and felt...and they carry specialized]. Thinking about going in and testing some out as sort in a n+1 mood lately but thought I'd ask what others are experiencing on aluminum these days. Are opinions changing much about an aluminum ride?

Thanks for any comparative input. [I presently own carbon, titanium, and steel]...
I owned a bike similar to your old one, it was a '99 Trek 2500 Alpha SL. Aluminum with carbon fork and a threaded headset. I also had a Cannondale R300 from the same year. Both had similar tubing and frame construction.

Now I have a carbon Madone, but I've also borrowed and ridden a CAAD9 and a CAAD10 which represent much more recent aluminum designs. I can tell you without a doubt that both of the Cannondales were far lighter and more responsive with better ride quality than the 2500. Yea, there were other variables, but this is with largely equivalent wheels, identical tires at about the same pressure, ect.

My low-end carbon bike is still smoother than the CAADs I've ridden, but I wouldn't be surprised if that gap is even narrower with the latest Allez and CAAD12. I'd get a new AL bike in a heartbeat.
Old 01-06-16, 03:22 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7696 Post(s)
Liked 3,605 Times in 1,900 Posts
This "ticking time bomb" stuff is pure BS. People have been making cars, airplanes, bikes, motorcycles ... all kinds of stuff out of aluminum for decades. its characteristics are well known,.

How many of you can deliver specific factual information about an unabused aluminum frame breaking for no reason. About the same number who could say the same for steel. Some people have strong negative emotions about aluminum bikes for whatever reason, but let's stick to reason, please. There are very few casual riders anywhere in the world who are going to ride a metal-framed bike long enough that its frame will be ready to collapse at any moment.

Anyone who rides enough miles or enough tough terrain where that might be a concern is probably sponsored and getting new bikes annually if not more frequently. There are people who have been riding aluminum-framed mountain bikes for a decade or more without "ticking time bomb" asplosive failures.

Carbon is more fragile, and people who can afford carbon ought to know that, but still people ride CF mountain bikes.

Go see some vintage racing sometime ... watch some 50-year-old aluminum-chassis cars with aluminum engine blocks and heads out doing full-on racing. Then tell them all about how they are driving "ticking time bombs" which are about to "alu"-asplode.

Or drop by and risk your life by taking a ride on my 1983 Cannondale R500 ... if you dare.
Old 01-06-16, 03:24 PM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Go see some vintage racing sometime ... watch some 50-year-old aluminum-chassis cars with aluminum engine blocks and heads out doing full-on racing. Then tell them all about how they are driving "ticking time bombs" which are about to "alu"-asplode.
Especially true when they're racing hard in cars that are worth more than $10 million. Definitely not deathtraps.

Old 01-06-16, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You have no idea when that AL bike might snap. It is a ticking time bomb. Al frames do not last forever. Steel frames can. They do not fatigue if not stressed above their tensile/yield parameters. Al will eventually fail. I have an Al bike now, and expect it will last me 12-15 years, at which time I will replace it, regardless of how it looks. I know, it started "ticking" the minute I started riding it. YMMV.
totally
thats why I keep my bikes in an underground bunker.
Never know when it's gonna explode.
i have a carbon saddle, bars nd wheels made at the same time as my carbon frame. I bet it will explode all at the same time. When I hear the boom, I know it's time to go shopping again

i hear if a aluminum and carbon bike touch each other they will explode and put a hole in the ground
That's how the Northridge quake started. True story
Old 01-06-16, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,143 Times in 1,790 Posts
As was pointed out earlier in this thread, virtually all of the classic lightweight steel bikes touted for longevity were and are outfitted with aluminum rims, seatposts, hubs, handlebars, pedals, etc., etc. Even my lowly Raleigh Blue Streak that I began racing on in 1964 had a few aluminum bits.

And for the sake of the new arrivals to the topic (apologies to the veterans), I hereby trot out yet again the 1995 German Tour magazine frame strength test results.

Steel Kool-Aid drinkers, I sympathize.

12 High-End Frames in the EFBe Fatigue Test

Anyone who wants to argue with the results presented on that page, please do us all a favor and read the entire page, including the details of the testing methods.

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-06-16 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-06-16, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
edit
Old 01-06-16, 04:23 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 766 Posts
Not quite as simplistic as you appear to believe......12 High-End Frames in the EFBe Fatigue Test
Old 01-06-16, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
New alloy frames are now built with normal sized down tubing for a compliant and sweet ride.

Oversized tubing gave aluminum bikes a reputation for a harsh "washboard" ride and people didn't like em.

Alloy bikes built within the last eight years or so ride as well as steel and carbon bikes.

And they're now mainstream - for good reason.
Old 01-06-16, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I thought my aluminum bike was a ticking time bomb too. Then I realized my cranks were not tightened enough.
Old 01-06-16, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
totally
thats why I keep my bikes in an underground bunker.
Never know when it's gonna explode.
i have a carbon saddle, bars nd wheels made at the same time as my carbon frame. I bet it will explode all at the same time. When I hear the boom, I know it's time to go shopping again

i hear if a aluminum and carbon bike touch each other they will explode and put a hole in the ground
That's how the Northridge quake started. True story
LOL this made me laugh so hard. "When I hear the boom I know it's time to go shopping again"

Thanks for all the knowledge guys. It's going to be a tough spring purchase with ALU back in the mix
Old 01-06-16, 05:11 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL build, CAAD10, Bianchi Pista '13, Litespeed Antares '03

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trakhak
12 High-End Frames in the EFBe Fatigue Test

Anyone who wants to argue with the results presented on that page, please do us all a favor and read the entire page, including the details of the testing methods.
WOW. Thanks for this link. This is amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.