Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New & Improved : The Under $750 Roadbike Thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New & Improved : The Under $750 Roadbike Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great post. I am interested in getting into road cycling and these bikes look pretty hot.
Old 02-18-07, 11:35 PM
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it won't be well-received, but I don't care. My Windsor Fens from BD at $699 with 105s and an Ultegra RD is a fantastic value. Light enough for the bike enthusiast and recreational racer. I sure wish I had the $1,500 for a "real" bike, but I suppose I'll have to settle for the BD route.
Old 02-19-07, 01:56 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked 1,991 Times in 1,417 Posts
Is this factory bikes only, or do home build-ups count?
Old 02-19-07, 02:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As soon as these threads start, everyone starts posting their bikes that they bought for <750 and have since upgraded loads and loads or bought on closeout because they are 2006, 2005 models. It needs to be kept to bikes whose actual Retail Price is < $750
Old 02-19-07, 02:09 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Raleigh 2007

Sport: https://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=5&itemid=342
Grand Sport: https://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=5&itemid=343
Intrigue 1.0 (womens): https://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=5&itemid=379
Cadent 1.0: https://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=4&itemid=353
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 02-19-07, 04:30 PM
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Upgraded, but still comes up under $750:

The 2007 version cost $675

https://www.schwinnbike.com/products/...ail.php?id=682

Old 02-19-07, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did upgraded the wheel but still under $650.

2002 Cannondale R500

Old 02-19-07, 06:19 PM
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hal
As soon as these threads start, everyone starts posting their bikes that they bought for <750 and have since upgraded loads and loads or bought on closeout because they are 2006, 2005 models. It needs to be kept to bikes whose actual Retail Price is < $750
^^^I am all for this. What is the point of posting a bike that cannot be bought for under $750? It is nice that you upgraded your bike, but that does nothing to help the new shopper for whom this thread is specifically targeted. The old thread (before it became too ponderous) did much to help me in my decision on which bike to purchase.

And turboem...great job on the thread and the edit.

Cheers,

Brian

― Bruce Lee

Last edited by baj32161; 02-20-07 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-20-07, 06:56 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
^^^I am all for this. What is the point of posting a bike that cannopt be bought for under $750? It is nice that you upgraded your bike, but that does nothing to help the new shopper for whom this thread is specifically targeted. The old thread (before it became too ponderous) did much to help me in my decision on which bike to purchase.

And turboem...great job on the thread and the edit.

Cheers,

Brian
I agree that its nice people buy full ultegra bikes that are a couple of years old for $700, but it doesnt really help a new shopper who may not find that deal.

Also I have been editing in all other suggested bikes in the beginning so it is easier for people to see in the first posts. The thing is you can only do 10 pics per post so I maxed out my first 2 replies. Is it possible for a mod to let me get a third post so they are all together?
Old 02-20-07, 11:09 AM

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turboem1
I agree that its nice people buy full ultegra bikes that are a couple of years old for $700, but it doesnt really help a new shopper who may not find that deal.
I believe the point of posting the "bargain" bikes is to show the new shopper that there are other options available out there. If you look hard enough, like some of us, you're most likely be able to find a used or older model that will suit your needs and exceed the componentry or the newer but lesser equipped models.

A good idea to maybe add to the replies here is to point out where the bicycles were bought. Or maybe shout out a name of a store if you find a good deal. For example, Sports Chalet in Antioch, CA is having a huge discounted sale on their '06 Podium 2 Diamondback road bikes, Tiagra shifters and Tiagra front der w/105 rear der and carbon forks for $449. Now, thats a deal.

If we are trying to help out people on a budget, we might as well give them most of the info.
Old 02-20-07, 12:55 PM
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnwalker
I believe the point of posting the "bargain" bikes is to show the new shopper that there are other options available out there. If you look hard enough, like some of us, you're most likely be able to find a used or older model that will suit your needs and exceed the componentry or the newer but lesser equipped models.

A good idea to maybe add to the replies here is to point out where the bicycles were bought. Or maybe shout out a name of a store if you find a good deal. For example, Sports Chalet in Antioch, CA is having a huge discounted sale on their '06 Podium 2 Diamondback road bikes, Tiagra shifters and Tiagra front der w/105 rear der and carbon forks for $449. Now, thats a deal.

If we are trying to help out people on a budget, we might as well give them most of the info.
Many shoppers are aware of other avenues for a bike purchase, and I do see your point. However, the used or great bargain bike you have is not one the shopper is likely to find. In my area I rarely see any decent used road bikes for sale at a bargain. In fact most of the sellers are crooks trying to rip people off.

It is good to see that you (or someone else) got a good buy, but if I am out bike shopping, the bike you bought is not going to help me with any information since I am not likely to find it at the price you paid, if at all.

Cheers,

Brian

― Bruce Lee
Old 02-21-07, 06:54 AM
Pain is temporary.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Revolution Continental (for UK Buyers)

This is my new bike, Ive had it for about a month.
This is my first road bike of any kind and, to me - with my limited knowledge- it was a bargain at £275 in the January sales. Its from the LBS (Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative) so im also supporting the wee man! Its normal retail price is £399, which is still way cheaper than a trek 1000 which has the same componants and brakes. It goes really nicely and it shifts very well (i was concerned after all the things you hear about sora but ive had no probs so far). Its by far the cheapest bike you'll find with CF fork and shimano componants, plus the guys at edinburgh bc are pretty good to deal with.

Specs- Strongman Aluminium Frame
Carbon Fork (Crmo Steerer)
Shimano Sora Componants
Tektro Dual control Brakes
Rigida Nova Wheels
TruVativ Isoflow Cranks, Triple Chainring
Old 02-21-07, 06:54 AM
Winter blues...

Bikes: 1997 Univega Superstrada

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that posted bikes must be widely available. Otherwise it's not much help to others out there.

But, then this thread basically becomes a link to bikesdirect.com, doesn't it?

Here's the bike I'm currently drooling about on bikesdirect.com. Hopefully I'll pull the trigger in the next week.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/aerott.htm

$699. It's full Tiagra. Plus, being a tri bike, it's supposedly more aero, which is what I want because I always ride alone. Throw in some pedals & aero bars and I'm sold. Free shipping doesn't hurt either.
Old 02-21-07, 02:09 PM
Will Bike for Ice Cream

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW: Today on Nashbar's "returns" page. Ultegra equipped IRON HORSE EXCELSIOR RACE ´06. (A 52cm and 56):

$670 - 10% Coupon (W228) = $603 + $30 shipping = $633 + tax (depends where you live)

Don't know anything about the bike, but it seems like a option worth considering--if it's not already gone.

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...0%2D%20Returns

You can find a geometry chart for the bikes if you look at Nashbar's regular page for the bike.

Last edited by skyblue; 02-21-07 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 02:53 PM
é wot?

Bikes: Gary Fisher Montare, 1973 Bottechia, IRO Jamie Roy,1998 Cervelo Eyre Tri, 1982 Peugeot Sport fixed gear, and some kind of red bike hanging in the rafters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ibex have a few different ones ... three "classic" models under $500 - https://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Classic.html

and the Aprisa 4500 at $600 https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/APR-4500-Details.html
Old 02-21-07, 05:33 PM
pedal head

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shakeNbake
Upgraded, but still comes up under $750:

The 2007 version cost $675

https://www.schwinnbike.com/products/...ail.php?id=682
Here is another nice Schwinn on sale at performance:

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...estore_ID=1014

Old 02-22-07, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by probable556
Best way to improve the thread is add $300 to the title.
Yup. This thread needs to be the "Under $999 Roadbike Thread".

As a group, entry level road bike customers don't have the experience, tools, and technical ability it takes to make a mail order bike a safe, reliable, and enjoyable riding bike.

But, even at the largest neighborhood bike shops, there are rarely more than one or two models of roadbikes "in-stock" for less than $750. In Houston, the five or six biggest stores sell customers a choice of ONE model from Trek, ONE from Specialized, and ONE from Giant that sell for under $750. Lots of stores, but just three bikes.

However, at the $999 price point, there a lot of good choices. More choices in drivetrains. More choices in frames. Better wheelsets. Better brake calipers. So, a $999 thread would open up lots more options for entry level riders. Here in Houston, some one visiting three or four shops could find six or eight good choices selling in the $700 to $999 range.

Last edited by cuda2k; 03-29-07 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 05:39 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
what is your problem??

[Quote Removed]

As far as Houston goes there are lots of New Road bikes available from $300 to $700 -- tons. And that is about to double as Performance opens shops in Houston this year. I for one think that is a great thing! More choice for customers and lower prices.

Now here is a bike you can get at $699 with really good frame, fork, and parts.

Frame DoubleButted, HandCrafted, Precision welded 6061 Kinesis Heat treated aluminum main tubes, 7005 aluminum rear stays, 2x H2O bosses, replaceable rear derailleur hanger
Fork Kinesis carbon fiber with 1.125 inch aluminum steerer tube
Crankset FSA Gossamer MegaEXO Aluminum Alloy Triple 50/39/30T Black Finish
Bottom Bracket FSA MegaEXO External Sealed Cartridge Bearing
Pedals FREE: VP Road Clipless compatible with two bolt/spd sole shoes
Front Derailleur 2007 Shimano 105 / 5600 for triple 30 speed
Rear Derailleur 2007 Shimano Ultegra 6600 for triple 30 speed
Shifters 2007 Shimano 105 Integrated STI 10 Speed, (30 total gears)
Cassette/Freewheel 2007 Shimano 105 HG5600 10 Speed Cassette 12-25T
Chain 2007 Shimano CN5600 HG 10 Speed
Hubs 2007 Shimano WH-R500 for 10 speed (30 gears total)
Spokes Stainless Steel Black Finish, Radial front pattern
Rims 2007 Shimano WH-R500 Wheelset with machined brake track
Tires Michelin Dynamic 700x23 high pressure road tires, presta valve tubes
Brakes Tektro RS30 BlackChrome DualPull aluminum calipers
Brake Levers 2007 Shimano 105 (integrated with shifters)
Headset Threadless Sealed Bearing Aheadset
Handlebar Ritchey Comp 6061 Butted Aluminum Biomax Ergo bend
Stem Ritchey Comp Threadless Aluminum 1.125 steerer, 25.4 clamp
Tape/Grip Black cork
Saddle Racing with color accent panels
Seat Post Ritchey Comp Aluminum 27.2x270mm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Or for those that just want to find out if they like road biking --- for $369 they can start with this
brand new bike with full warranty
[made by the same factory that makes tons of Trek, Specialized, Fuji, etc bikes]

Main Frame Precision Handmade Dawes Altair 1 Compact aluminum with traditional round down tube, Double water bottle mounts
Rear Triangle Dawes Altair 1 aluminum curved seat stay w/ rack mount, Dawes forged road dropout with replaceable derailleur hanger
Fork Dawes 1 1/8" steerer, custom tapered Cro-Moly, Aero Road
Crankset Dawes Forged Aluminum Road 30/42/52T Chainring
Bottom Bracket Semi Cartridge Bearing ST
Pedals (FREE BONUS ROAD PEDALS)
Front Derailleur Shimano 2200 series, 31.8mm for triple
Rear Derailleur Shimano 2200 series
Shifters NEW Shimano 2203 shifters integrated into brake levers, 24-speed Triple
Cassette/Freewheel SunRace, 12-24T 8-speed
Chain KMC Z-72
Front / Rear Hub Formula Aluminum Alloy Road, 36h / Formula Aluminum Alloy Cassette Road, 8-speed, 36H (black finish)
Spokes 14G Stainless Steel
Rims Alex R-500 Double Wall Aluminum, 36H 700c clincher
Tires Kenda K-152, 700 X 25c, schraeder valve tubes (auto valve)
Brake Set ProMax Dual Pivot Forged Road
Brake Levers NEW Shimano 2200 shifter/brake levers and Tektro RL-570 Top Mount on flat portion of handlebar for additional braking position
Headset Ritchey LB 1.125inch sealed bearing
Handlebar Aluminum Alloy Road
Stem Dawes Adjustable Road Aluminum, Removable Clamp
Tape/Grip Custom cork wrap
Saddle Anatomical with Cro-Moly rails
Seat Post Dawes Comp Micro Adjust Aluminum, 250mm x 27.2
Seat Clamp Ultralite alloy, 31.8mm, Lazer etched

Anyone who wants people to beleive they can not get a great new road bike for under $500 is not doing cycling any favors.

mike
bikesdirect

Last edited by cuda2k; 03-29-07 at 07:36 PM. Reason: pic too big
Old 02-22-07, 06:12 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
speaking of Houston

Speaking of Houston; you can buy in Houston this Bottecchia with a Zonal frame for under $700

Old 02-22-07, 06:32 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
{snip}

However, at the $999 price point, there a lot of good choices. More choices in drivetrains. More choices in frames. Better wheelsets. Better brake calipers. So, a $999 thread would open up lots more options for entry level riders. Here in Houston, some one visiting three or four shops could find six or eight good choices selling in the $700 to $999 range.
No it shouldnt be under $1000. What beginner cyclist is going to pay $1000 for something they are trying out. That is way to much money. Even $750 is high for some beginners. A good name brand road bike with sora is more then what a beginner would need to see how much they like the sport.

Last edited by cuda2k; 03-29-07 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 06:39 PM
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
Yup. This thread needs to be the "Under $999 Roadbike Thread". As a "Under $750" thread, it just becomes one more unpaid ad for "BikesDirect". ... ...
The ONLY place for the typical customer of an entry level road bike to buy a bike is from a good neighborhood bike shop. As a group, entry level road bike customers don't have the experience, tools, and technical ability it takes to make a mail order bike a safe, reliable, and enjoyable riding bike.

But, even at the largest neighborhood bike shops, there are rarely more than one or two models of roadbikes "in-stock" for less than $750. In Houston, the five or six biggest stores sell customers a choice of ONE model from Trek, ONE from Specialized, and ONE from Giant that sell for under $750. Lots of stores, but just three bikes.

I have two bikes from them...good bikes w/ good parts for the $$$. I ordered a fixed from them and it came with a small dent...it was replaced and I am happy with it right now...At the LBS the Fuji Track bike at the same level was 130 bucks more...If I did not know my way around bikes I may have gone with the LBS but its not a big deal for me....for a newbie it may be better to go LBS for that reason...

At 750...all bikes come with some lower end stuff that will be replaced...look at the posts here and you can see that upgrades is part of it for most who get into the sport...

Last edited by cuda2k; 03-29-07 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 07:56 PM
pedal head

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would buy a BD bike (if I actually NEEDED another bike...). First choice would be a nice used Cannondale or Trek.

Most of the tools I see in my area would not even be able to read more than MOTO... before I blow by them anyway.
Old 02-22-07, 07:58 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
$100.00 - off a tip from a fellow BF member:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bob Jackson right side.jpg (96.8 KB, 619 views)
Old 02-22-07, 09:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^That's nuts. Talk about a score...
Old 02-22-07, 11:31 PM

Bikes: Graco road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My $.02 as a "new" (again) cyclist - the person this thread appears to speak to: I absolutely will not be spending $1k for a bicycle - or even $750 for that matter - this time around. Maybe later if I think I need it. (Aside: Someone who tells me that a $750 bike isn't going to be good enough for an entry-level rider is trying really hard to sell something...and I won't be buying whatever that is.)

That said, thanks for the tips in this thread. First day here, so my head is still spinning from all the new jargon. And I still haven't found the thread that will tell me how to find the right size frame for my lumpy old body, but this discussion gets me on the way to picking one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.