Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Correct/inform Drivers?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Best Way to Correct/inform Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-11, 09:41 AM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
To be honest, I've given up on talking to bad drivers. All you ever get in return is a string of expletives. If I want that, I can watch a South Park episode and at least be amused. I'm convinced every crappy driver out there is convinced that they're an excellent driver. There are easier walls to beat my head against.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 04-28-11, 09:42 AM

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hshearer
I certainly notice that aggressive and speeding drivers often don't make up nearly as much time as they think they do; they're usually just up ahead, waiting at a red light, or stuck behind a couple of trucks moving down the highway at the same speed.
That is very true and something more drivers should realize. Because of my route to and from work I frequently see the same vehicles day after day. I all too frequently see the dangerous drivers (the ones cutting people off, speeding, tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic) gaining no ground for all their horrific driving. I think I pissed one guy off when I had an opportunity to say something to him telling him, "boy weren't you lucky. Good think you were speeding down the road as fast as you were or you might have missed sitting through this red light."

Why is it some people have no more imagination than to tell people to go have sex when they are annoyed?
Old 04-28-11, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can get through to him... you just need to approach the subject the right way. The minute you overtly call into question his driving habits it is game over, he will get defensive and wont hear what you have to say. You need to lead him to these conclusions for himself. If that means bringing up news items of other drivers, or even pointing out mistakes other drivers make on the road. Heck, if you carpool with other people then make up a scenario where your other driver passed a city bus and almost hit a pedestrian. Play up how close it came to someone losing their life. Maybe even throw in there that you really want the other driver to be more careful, even though the accident wouldn't have been their fault, because you don't know how you would react to being in a car that killed someone. I would also blame these situations on the pedestrians or other road users, because to imply otherwise would challenge Conrad's driving skill. Sometimes you have to slow down because other people do dumb things, not because you are doing the dumb thing.

People are really easy to get through to if you get passed yourself. All the people above who are advocating a confrontation of sorts (or a boycott) are thinking as themselves first. It's gratifying to think that you made a stink about it and are doing something by boycotting, but this will never actually have the desired result. Conrad will almost certainly get on the defensive and your (completely valid) points wont sink in. However, by phrasing the argument in a way that Conrad will listen to, you have a chance of him being receptive and making some positive changes. After all, what you really want is for the world to be a safer place, not just to boost your own ego, right?
Old 04-28-11, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ladyraestewart
That is very true and something more drivers should realize. Because of my route to and from work I frequently see the same vehicles day after day. I all too frequently see the dangerous drivers (the ones cutting people off, speeding, tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic) gaining no ground for all their horrific driving. I think I pissed one guy off when I had an opportunity to say something to him telling him, "boy weren't you lucky. Good think you were speeding down the road as fast as you were or you might have missed sitting through this red light."

Why is it some people have no more imagination than to tell people to go have sex when they are annoyed?
Try something a little more light-hearted. My personal favorite is to ask if they are a doctor (ore fireman, etc.), and when they (typically) say no, then say you had assumed they were because they looked like they were in such a hurry to save someone and you had wanted to thank them for the effort. Most people either (a) laugh, and you can then engage them in a conversation that isn't based on anger, or (b) the absurdity of what you just said strikes at least some chord deep inside and they get the point. It's not foolproof by any means, but it sure beats knocking on someone's window and leading with "WTF". Being locked in a car cuts you off from any personal interaction with other road users... the more personal you can make it, the safer you will be. A driver might not give to craps about that jerk who probably runs every redlight, but if you talked about your dogs at the previous light, he/she will probably care much more about your wellbeing, and that of other cyclists they interact with.
Old 04-29-11, 01:14 AM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hshearer
I certainly notice that aggressive and speeding drivers often don't make up nearly as much time as they think they do; they're usually just up ahead, waiting at a red light, or stuck behind a couple of trucks moving down the highway at the same speed.

What I really like with those "speed demons" is when the cyclist that they passed at a "high rate of speed" comes riding up along side of them in a "lazy" fashion. I would think that it really has to get to them when they stop and think it. I mean how "embarrassing" is it for them to be passed by the cyclist that they had just in such an frenzy.
Old 05-02-11, 07:23 PM

Bikes: Giant Sedona, Giant Trance 2, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2011 Schwinn LeTour Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Good point, which is why as many of us have said in the past. That it should be harder to get a license and easier to lose it.
And mandatory re testing every few years or no license if you fail the test.

BTW, we all know a Conrad or two. Actually they seem to be a dime a dozen. All we need to do is find the guy supplying the dimes!

I used to car pool and one of the drivers was, well, a total idiot behind the wheel. It came to the point that I asked him if he even had a license. I eventually opted out of the car pool as I said I didn't feel safe or want to be in a crash, or witness the guy mowing down a pedestrian or something. He was irritated with me for a while, but eventually calmed down. I had the chance to talk with him after that point in time and I said I liked him, he was a good guy but his driving scared me.

I'm not sure all the Conrads of the world will/would respond the same way, but think of your mental sight picture of Conrad mowing someone down and killing them with you in the car....

Last edited by Profgumby; 05-02-11 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-02-11, 08:05 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quiot riding with this dude, no matter what it takes. Then tell him why. In fact, tell him you're going to start ride sharing with Stevie Wonder because he's a better driver.

Don't be polite.
Old 05-02-11, 09:50 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Profgumby
And mandatory re testing every few years or no license if you fail the test.
Exactly and make questions about bicycles and bicycle and pedestrian safety part of the process.

Originally Posted by Profgumby
BTW, we all know a Conrad or two. Actually they seem to be a dime a dozen. All we need to do is find the guy supplying the dimes!

I used to car pool and one of the drivers was, well, a total idiot behind the wheel. It came to the point that I asked him if he even had a license. I eventually opted out of the car pool as I said I didn't feel safe or want to be in a crash, or witness the guy mowing down a pedestrian or something. He was irritated with me for a while, but eventually calmed down. I had the chance to talk with him after that point in time and I said I liked him, he was a good guy but his driving scared me.

I'm not sure all the Conrads of the world will/would respond the same way, but think of your mental sight picture of Conrad mowing someone down and killing them with you in the car....
Yep, that we do, that we do. They are scary regardless of their gender. Sadly, though I think that men are willing to take more risks than are women.

That would indeed be a scary thing to go through, i.e. being in the car with a driver who struck and killed someone.
Old 05-02-11, 09:53 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hippiebrian
Quiot riding with this dude, no matter what it takes. Then tell him why. In fact, tell him you're going to start ride sharing with Stevie Wonder because he's a better driver.

Don't be polite.
I still also say that if this is a company sponsored carpool let the company or whoever is running know about "Conrad." Maybe they can remove him from the carpool or at the very least talk to him and let him know that there have been complaints about his driving.
Old 05-02-11, 10:18 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I still also say that if this is a company sponsored carpool let the company or whoever is running know about "Conrad." Maybe they can remove him from the carpool or at the very least talk to him and let him know that there have been complaints about his driving.
I have a hard time turning people in like that...I'd feel like a 5th grade tattle tale...
Old 05-03-11, 12:19 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a hard time turning people in like that...I'd feel like a 5th grade tattle tale...
Which would you rather be a "5th Grade tattle Tale" or the unwitting participant in the death of a cyclist/pedestrian?
Old 05-03-11, 07:11 AM

Bikes: Trek Y-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he is brake checking someone he has a screw loose. I would not ride with him again.
Old 05-03-11, 09:39 AM

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a mentality I really do not understand. This person is taking the lives of others in his hands every time they get into his car AND he clearly demonstrates their lives mean nothing to him. Yet you'd feel like a tattle tale turning him in and others would not want to call him (or someone like him) out? Why is that? Why when we witness unsafe or rude behavior we permit ourselves to feel like we are the bad guy for standing up to them?

If you think about it, the answer to the question about why do people _____? is because we let them. If more people made a stand and refused to look away when someone did something that was unacceptable, think about what might happen? If everyone told Conrad, no more, then what is he going to do? He might still drive like a selfish f#^&k but at least he and others know what is really happening. After a while too he might realize it's not worth it and find himself changing. He might not but most people engage in bad conduct because they they can.
Old 05-03-11, 02:56 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is a mentality I really do not understand. This person is taking the lives of others in his hands every time they get into his car AND he clearly demonstrates their lives mean nothing to him. Yet you'd feel like a tattle tale turning him in and others would not want to call him (or someone like him) out? Why is that? Why when we witness unsafe or rude behavior we permit ourselves to feel like we are the bad guy for standing up to them?

If you think about it, the answer to the question about why do people _____? is because we let them. If more people made a stand and refused to look away when someone did something that was unacceptable, think about what might happen? If everyone told Conrad, no more, then what is he going to do? He might still drive like a selfish f#^&k but at least he and others know what is really happening. After a while too he might realize it's not worth it and find himself changing. He might not but most people engage in bad conduct because they they can.
+1,000

It also boggles my mind that some people feel as you said as if they're the "bad guy" for standing up for what is right?