Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long climb next weekend

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Long climb next weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the water you think you need + 2 bottles. But you probably knew that.
Old 06-08-08, 08:01 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
So, if you were doing a ride with a 37.5 climb up near the top of the mountains ... and then a 37.5 descent ... what would you bring?
As little as possible. I know you are the self-dependent type, so it may be hard for you to do this, but you need to do an honest evaluation of all of your gear that you would normally carry with you on a ride and remove everything you aren't likely to need. Take a tube and CO2 or a small pump in a small bag, or in your jersey pocket if you can. Remove all other racks, bags, fenders, lights (and associated mounts), etc. If you know someone with a lighter wheelset, you may want to ask to borrow it.
Old 06-08-08, 02:00 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
It's my natural instinct to bring a large trunk bag full of stuff ... but I will try to pare down for this one.
Old 06-08-08, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree, leave as much stuff behind as possible. You want yourself and your bike to be light.

If the organizers have a clothing car taking clothes to the top of the climb (it's common in climbing races around here) bring a spare jacket and gloves (or more if its going to be cold) and a plastic bag to put them in, so you can leave the clothing in the car. That way you have warm gear for the descent without having to carry it up. If there isn't a clothing drop then bring the lightest jacket you have.

If there is going to be support at the top with water, bring just enough water for the climb. Water's heavy.

Plan your water and food based on time not distance, otherwise you'll end up short.
Old 06-08-08, 02:32 PM
In Real Life

According to the online info, the ride is unsupported, and I doubt there would be water at the top.

Good idea about calculating based on time.
Old 06-08-08, 02:38 PM

Bikes: 2000 Trek 5200, 2007 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone who's struggled with knee problems, I'd also recommend even simple knee warmers, to buttress the jacket/glove suggestions.
On a long descent, your knees and legs could stiffen up a lot if you're spinning consistently down it. With wildlife still out there and what you've indicated will be moderate downhill speeds, something to protect the knees might be worth it too.
Old 06-08-08, 02:38 PM
Mountain Goat

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to the online info, the ride is unsupported, and I doubt there would be water at the top.

Good idea about calculating based on time.
For out and back climbs, I carry enough water to drink on the way up and to have a good long drink at the top. Never need any on the way back down. I also usually drink a full liter or more right before starting, to supplement what I carry. That way, I don't need to start hitting my water bottles until about 10k into the climb.
Old 06-08-08, 02:54 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dark13star
For out and back climbs, I carry enough water to drink on the way up and to have a good long drink at the top. Never need any on the way back down. I also usually drink a full liter or more right before starting, to supplement what I carry. That way, I don't need to start hitting my water bottles until about 10k into the climb.
I don't like to drink a lot before a climb. I hate that feeling of it all sloshing around inside. I'd rather cary it on the bike than in me.
Old 06-08-08, 03:09 PM
Mountain Goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I don't like to drink a lot before a climb. I hate that feeling of it all sloshing around inside. I'd rather cary it on the bike than in me.
That can be an issue, but usually isn't if I get the liter down while getting my bike and gear together, instead of chugging it. Also, I use a weak Heed mix for it and I seem to avoid it faster. I do this when I don't want to carry a Camelbak. Already have two tall bottles full on the bike for most climbs.

edit: I meant "absorb," not "avoid" above. I have a rotten summer cold and my head is just not clear...

Last edited by dark13star; 06-08-08 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 03:15 PM
In Real Life

That can be an issue, but usually isn't if I get the liter down while getting my bike and gear together, instead of chugging it. Also, I use a weak Heed mix for it and I seem to avoid it faster. I do this when I don't want to carry a Camelbak. Already have two tall bottles full on the bike for most climbs.
Well, I've got a 2.5 hour drive out there, so I'll drink while I drive.
Old 06-08-08, 04:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's keep this in perspective; this is the same length as most people's average weekend ride. The trip up should be between 1.5-3 hours of spinning depending on your engine. Bring a little food for the top and some water/HEED for the climb. For the descent, I'd carry a wind vest and arm warmers. Of course, you'll have the typical tube/pump/patchkit/levers stuff, but that sorta goes without saying.

Since you are driving to the climb, I'd throw a heavier jacket and tights in the car just in case the weather looks like it is going to puke on you. If it looks nice out, go with just the vest and arm warmers.
Old 06-08-08, 05:49 PM
In Real Life

I know it's a relatively short distance overall. I just haven't climbed for that length of time (or distance) before. I have, however, ridden into strong headwinds for that and more!

I ride at about 20 km/h on flat ground, climbing I'll be down to somewhere between 8-12 km/h depending on the grade ... so we're looking at about 4 hours up.
Old 06-08-08, 05:56 PM
Mountain Goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it's a relatively short distance overall. I just haven't climbed for that length of time (or distance) before. I have, however, ridden into strong headwinds for that and more!

I ride at about 20 km/h on flat ground, climbing I'll be down to somewhere between 8-12 km/h depending on the grade ... so we're looking at about 4 hours up.
I bet you will make it in 3.5. Maybe we should start a pool
Old 06-08-08, 06:14 PM

Bikes: Norco Fluid 3, Cannondale R800, Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It definitely won't be car supported, as the road is closed to traffic through Sunday. I guess there could be people preriding stuff up there, but I doubt it.
Old 06-08-08, 06:51 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 390 Posts
Heart rate monitor. If the goal is to ride it fast, peg your HR on the way up at just below your LTHR and keep it there for the next hour and a half.

Beyond that 1 tube, 1 C02 cartridge, tire irons, Arm warmers, vest (or snag a newspaper at the top) one large bottle, and 2 gel packs.
Old 06-08-08, 06:57 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Heart rate monitor. If the goal is to ride it fast, peg your HR on the way up at just below your LTHR and keep it there for the next hour and a half.
Now there's an idea ... the last time I used my HRM, it wasn't working. I'll have to dig it out and check it again, I may need to replace the batteries.
Old 06-11-08, 10:40 PM
In Real Life

New Decision ...

I can do the 75 km Highwood Pass ride with the club, like I was planning ........

OR

A 180 km ride on the same day over the Highwood Pass, down the other side and around!!!

One possible difficulty with both rides, but possibly more with the longer ride ...

I have just been diagnosed with a syndrome where the joints connecting my rib cage to my sternum are inflammed. While it isn't serious, it is very painful, and constricts my breathing.

So ... would you stick with the short ride or go for the longer one?
Old 06-12-08, 08:02 PM
In Real Life

Well .... neither ride is going to happen. I'm very disappointed!!

They are being cancelled because the bottom of the climb has had 1.5 feet of snow, and the snow plows are working their way up. The plows will still be on the road on Saturday.

1.5 feet of snow ..... in JUNE!!!
Old 06-12-08, 08:15 PM
Mountain Goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Summer is not coming to the mountains this year. We had one hot day in Colorado this week and it has been cold and windy since. I think we had snow up high last week too.

Sorry you are missing your ride. Since it was unsupported, it seems like you could do it on your own at a later time though.
Old 06-12-08, 08:17 PM
In Real Life

Summer is not coming to the mountains this year. We had one hot day in Colorado this week and it has been cold and windy since. I think we had snow up high last week too.

Sorry you are missing your ride. Since it was unsupported, it seems like you could do it on your own at a later time though.
Yeah, it has been a miserable summer here so far. I count myself lucky every time I can get out for a ride of any sort.

But yes, I may do it on my own ... or the organizers are dropping hints that they might run it again a little later. I'll watch their website.
Old 06-16-08, 01:05 PM
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts

They are being cancelled because the bottom of the climb has had 1.5 feet of snow, and the snow plows are working their way up. The plows will still be on the road on Saturday.

Looks like you had bad info Machka. I did the Highwood Pass on Saturday the 14th and the road was clear. Still lots of snow in the ditches above 2000m but it was a beautiful day for a ride.
Old 06-16-08, 01:39 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
The least possible!! Seriously. No need for extra gear you won't likely need. Lighten up the bike to a bare minimum. Bring some arm warmers and some light full finger gloves depending on the weather near the top. A cap under the helmet might be nice from the start, but not much else unless you are one to get cold easily. Then, a light jacket or wind vest maybe. One large bottle of fluid should be enough. No need for food and such (a gel packet a most?). Something to fix a flat and that is it I guess.

Best of luck and let us know how it went later on.
+1 - i did a three-pass (each of them was about a 30km ascent) 400km brevet recently, and lightening up was the best thing i did in preparation. i was worried about gearing but 39x25 was enough for the passes we did. i chose my lighter steel bike for that ride, something i wish i'd done for a recent 600km four-pass adventure that i DNFd on.

on the 400k i only had a seat-bag on the bike, and stuffed everything else in jersey pockets, including all my tools/food/etc, and i didn't miss anything that i usually carry (the kitchen sink stuffed in a carradice bag).

have fun!

my race videos
Old 06-16-08, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey Machka, what road # is Highwood Pass? If it's what I think it is (rt23 541 to Rte 40) I'll be riding it in early August, on my loaded tour bike, so you can have company for a re-do, if you want. But you'll have to wait for me, since I climb at 3.5 mph on that beast.

Old 06-16-08, 03:03 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the snow thing is just not right.

I've signed up for the Tour de Wyoming, and it has 10,000 ft. of climb on a 47 mile route on one day. I'm nervous about it having never done any climbing of that sort. This is Botto's kind of climb!

Hey, Botto, loan me your quads for a day?

I've heard the tour of Colorado is similar, and that they often get hail and snow during the ride which takes place in July.

Ain't right. Just ain't right.

Don't be disappointed; just time to find another ride. Good luck.

Old 06-16-08, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MacBeth
I've heard the tour of Colorado is similar, and that they often get hail and snow during the ride which takes place in July.

starts next week, hope that doesn't come true since I'm doing it. forecast is nice for the first 3 days, at this time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.