Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Direct comparisons of Gravelking, SK, and G-One

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Direct comparisons of Gravelking, SK, and G-One

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 12:35 PM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
[MENTION=400231]
Always the holy grail isn't it of fast on road, grippy off and handle a bit of mud when needed whilst enough volume to give a cushy ride and not create any drag ... design that you'll be worth a fortune
Furious fred is amazing and ticks all those boxes. At least for a front tire. Its too big to put in the rear and not that durable as a rear tire.
JOM calls them a cheater tire, and I tend to agree: https://www.gravelcyclist.com/bicycl...r-tire-review/
Old 12-12-18, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Furious fred is amazing and ticks all those boxes. At least for a front tire. Its too big to put in the rear and not that durable as a rear tire.
JOM calls them a cheater tire, and I tend to agree: https://www.gravelcyclist.com/bicycl...r-tire-review/
Wow 360g for a 2" tire? That's insane.
Old 12-12-18, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Not according to the manufacturers website ????

The lightweight. Only approx. 360 grams. Minimal material use, 127-EPI-Evo-carcass. Attention: this not an all-rounder. It has limited grip and a high puncture risk.

LiteSkin version: ADDIX Speed (red).

Attention! To anyone who wants everything. It is not an allrounder. Grip is limited and risk of puncturing is high

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-...ious-fred.html

I probably should have added reasonable puncture protection as well but this tyre would be a serious no for me ... even the manufacturer can't find anything positive to say about it ..... their description reads more like a list of warnings
Old 12-12-18, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
even the manufacturer can't find anything positive to say about it
That's a matter of perspective. If I'm looking for something lively and light and supple, it's an attractive description.
Old 12-12-18, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
That's a matter of perspective. If I'm looking for something lively and light and supple, it's an attractive description.
I wouldn't mind trying those out with a 45gm Tubolito S-Tubo Mtb tube.
Old 12-12-18, 06:02 PM

You're totally right on the perspective front but one of the key criteria I mentioned was grip and the manufacturer TWICE says it's not which was in complete contradiction to what I originally quoted as important ... maybe you skimmed it and only answered the part you saw so I've pasted what I originally wrote below ... whilst it may suit YOUR circumstances is a complete contradiction to the key points I mentioned.

Always the holy grail isn't it of fast on road, grippy off and handle a bit of mud when needed whilst enough volume to give a cushy ride and not create any drag ... design that you'll be worth a fortune
Old 12-12-18, 06:19 PM

You're totally right on the perspective front but one of the key criteria I mentioned was grip and the manufacturer TWICE says it's not which was in complete contradiction to what I originally quoted as important ... maybe you skimmed it and only answered the part you saw so I've pasted what I originally wrote below ... whilst it may suit YOUR circumstances is a complete contradiction to the key points I mentioned.
I wasn't disagreeing that the tire doesn't match your criteria. I was disagreeing with your suggestion that the manufacturer doesn't have anything positive to say about it.
Old 12-12-18, 06:32 PM

I wasn't disagreeing that the tire doesn't match your criteria. I was disagreeing with your suggestion that the manufacturer doesn't have anything positive to say about it.
Have I totally lost the plot here ... this is a the link to their description on their website .... did you read it??? ... If so what were the positive points in the description I missed???

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-...ious-fred.html

Bear in mind the title of the thread referencing 2 tyres that are generally considered as all rounders**********
Old 12-12-18, 06:40 PM

Have I totally lost the plot here ... this is a the link to their description on their website .... did you read it???
Yes.

... If so what were the positive points in the description I missed???
They call it lightweight, and the description includes a bar chart that claims extremely good rolling performance. (And per my mention of perspective, the commentary that the tire is thin and unprotected indicate that it is very supple, which is usually seen as a benefit.)
Old 12-12-18, 06:58 PM

Yes.

They call it lightweight, and the description includes a bar chart that claims extremely good rolling performance. (And per my mention of perspective, the commentary that the tire is thin and unprotected indicate that it is very supple, which is usually seen as a benefit.)
But your arguing one of the main points I mentioned being grippy and they blatantly say twice that it's not??? I've quoted my original post below and don't quite understand if you're either just up for arguing or can't read???

Old 12-12-18, 07:08 PM

But your arguing one of the main points I mentioned being grippy and they blatantly say twice that it's not??? I've quoted my original post below and don't quite understand if you're either just up for arguing or can't read???
As I wrote earlier, my comment was responding to your claim that Schwalbe had nothing positive to say about the tire.

I was not suggesting that the positives within Schwalbe's description render it suitable per your criteria, and I agree that it does not meet your criteria.
Old 12-12-18, 07:16 PM

As I wrote earlier, my comment was responding to your claim that Schwalbe had nothing positive to say about the tire.

I was not suggesting that the positives within Schwalbe's description render it suitable per your criteria, and I agree that it does not meet your criteria.
If you don't see how negative their write up is and can't take into consideration the context of the whole thread there's no point in trying to enter dialog with you because I honestly think you're just out to argue.

I've often see quoted ... "Don't get involved in an argument with a fool as you end up stooping to their level and they beat you on experience" ..... so I'll decline to comment any further but I'm sure you'll want to have the last say

Have a good night .... time for ZZZ's for me
Old 12-12-18, 08:57 PM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
The furious fred is an AMAZING tire for gravel. The disclaimers are needed because this is a Mountain Bike tire! Its a bit light and fragile for mountain biking, and does not have the grip of a mountain bike tire - but that is not what we are talking about here. As a mountain bike tire - it is NOT an all arounder. As a fast gravel tire it is hard to beat.

JOM (Gravel cyclist) sums it up clearly. He rides in FL, and for someone who rides fast on hardpack and on roads, it is ideal. If you are riding knarly stuff (more like a mountain bike trail) with sharp rocks, roots, or need deep tread - its NOT the tire for you.

Compared to the tires above - it is a lot better in all regards except puncture protection. Personally, I almost never get flats in my front tire (nor do I get any tread wear) - so I am happy to put in on the front of my bike (and I expect it will fit the front of most any modern gravel bike - the rear maybe not. My 2" tire measures about 45mm).

Compared to the tires above - it rides smoother, rides faster (or similar to the G-one), has better flotation, has more traction (especially on rutted roads), accelerates faster, corners harder (traction plus flotation plus low pressure), and undoubtedly has less puncture protection (although I haven't' flatted any of these - I do pick junk out of my tread that sealant seals though). If I need a tire with more traction and protection at that volume, I ride a thunder burt - but that tire is MUCH more ponderous. That one rides like the mountain bike tire it is.

The Furious Fred not for everyone, but some of the people reading this would love it (others would hate it). I'm throwing it out there for people to consider if you need a light weight very fast tire.