Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

looking for info on montgomery wards hawthorne

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

looking for info on montgomery wards hawthorne

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 04:01 PM

Bikes: mercier kilo tt, raleigh ltd-3, miyata 912, puch luzern, nishiki custom sport mixte, fuji espree, fuji sagres

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, I think I was second-guessing myself on the hawthorne because I knew it wasn't a good bike, and wanted someone to confirm for me that it was in fact, crap. ha!

as far as this raleigh goes, I called him when I saw it, and we talked a bit. I made plans to look at it tonight. I know what you mean, bikes do go very fast here, I got a great deal on a miyata last night, and the guy said he already had 15 or so people trying to have him hold it for them. I got there first, so I walked away with it.

I considered that, but the nishiki is going to take more time than I have for it right now, to restore it the way I want it done. I want something I can be riding in the mean time. I absolutely love the nishiki, don't get me wrong, I just want to take my time and collect everything I want for it.
Old 04-22-10, 05:04 PM

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
That Raleigh will make you (and your grandchildren) happy.
Best of luck.
Old 04-22-10, 05:33 PM
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Get the Raleigh if you want; however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Hawthorne if it fits you. And, if it's a 2 speed, I'd hop all over that. The American bikes of that era did come with both kickback and manual (with a gearshift) 2 speed hubs. The manual hubs are nearly nonexistant, and I"d be interested in buying that bike, even if it didn't fit me, or if it cost a bit too much, just for the weird factor. It would be worth your time to go and check out the rear hub - if it says "bendix" instead of "shimano" you're in.

That said, the Raleigh is a great bike - I love my Phillips, and the g/f loves her Raleigh. I noticed last night with them side by side that the frames are identical - during the 60's and 70's, apparently even the low-end Nottingham bikes got the same lugs and tubes as the Raleigh Sports.
Old 04-22-10, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cman
My guess it is 2 speeds due to a loose shift cable.
He beat me to it. Almost certainly, it's a three speed hub that's out of adjustment. How many speeds are there on the shift lever, two or three?
Old 04-22-10, 06:46 PM
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iolas
thanks for your input! I know I was just being impatient and jumping on something that in the long run, wouldn't be the best choice (or really what I want). you guys talked me off the "crappy bike impulse buy" ledge.

the raleigh is totally ready to ride, and I won't have to put any money into it to get it out on the road. I know it will serve me much better than the hawthorne.
Three cheers for Raleighs!

I'm really glad you didn't go with the Hawthorne...The differences would have likely been imperceptible to the naked eye (cheaper/heavier steel, cruddier wheels/bb/headset/etc), but you would most certainly have noticed it a couple weeks down the road. There's a reason Hawthorne's were knock-offs of Raleighs, while Raleighs are the standard bearer.

But you really can't go wrong with old Sports IMHO.

Here's why I'm a believer - My 3-speed Raleigh Gentleman, affectionately named "Sir Walter" for his namesake.

a few more pics @ velospace

Have fun picking up your new bike! For what it's worth, the two matched Raleigh Sports I picked up last week for my friends were black as well. And as is always necessary on BikeForums, post photos once you've got it!
Old 04-22-10, 07:36 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by iolas
my absolute favorite colors, actually. it has new tires, recent tune-up, etc. he said it's in really good condition, and should be fine for someone of my height, so fingers crossed.

your wife likes hers? that's encouraging! I hope I will like it. I have only ever had road bikes, so this will be different. do you think it's a good deal at $75?
Yes, I do. It doesn't seem have a Brooks, and the seatpost is pulled out alarmingly far, but that's no big deal. Tires, tuneup would make it worth it. I bought my wife's for $40, but the tires and tubes were shot, the rims had some pitting, and I had to go through and clean and grease everything:
DSCN2274JPG.jpg
Old 04-22-10, 11:14 PM

Bikes: mercier kilo tt, raleigh ltd-3, miyata 912, puch luzern, nishiki custom sport mixte, fuji espree, fuji sagres

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got it! its beautiful!

the seatpost was very high, but the guy I bought it from was tall. the saddle is a vinyl brooks, the tires are new, new cables, paint is in good shape, no major dings or dents, just needs a good clean, everything else is in perfect condition.

took it for a spin, so fun!

will post pics tomorrow!

Last edited by iolas; 04-23-10 at 12:49 AM.