Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me re-build my Bernard Carre´

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help me re-build my Bernard Carre´

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 08:26 PM

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 163 Posts
Sacré bleu!!!

Beyond that, lovely build, I like much better than the previous iteration (as seen on the Early Morning Cyclist). Too bad so many equate cantilevers with touring or cyclocross....you found images of Anquetil on cantilevers...check this image of BiC team (BiC website says 1967 but that is an error as both Anquetil and Janssen are present indicating 1969...orange bikes further indicate 1969) … check bike third from right...cantilevers. I remember reading something long ago that cantilevers were often the choice of climbers....wish I could recall where.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 10-14-20, 09:03 PM
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
Sacré bleu!!!

Beyond that, lovely build, I like much better than the previous iteration (as seen on the Early Morning Cyclist). Too bad so many equate cantilevers with touring or cyclocross....you found images of Anquetil on cantilevers...check this image of BiC team (BiC website says 1967 but that is an error as both Anquetil and Janssen are present indicating 1969...orange bikes further indicate 1969) … check bike third from right...cantilevers. I remember reading something long ago that cantilevers were often the choice of climbers....wish I could recall where.
I have seen a pic of JA riding cantilevers on what was purported to be a time trial. Either way, I don't see an advantage.

Interesting team dynamic with last year's TdF winner and a five time TdF winner.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 10-14-20, 10:00 PM

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

I believe cantilevers have a weight savings so those climbing Mt. Ventoux might see an advantage, though clearly the majority of riders, like you Lynn, did not see an advantage and thus standard brakes were the norm....and what about 1966 TdF winner, Lucien Aimar, who is standing between Anquetil and Janssen in his Champion of France Jersey?

Last edited by Markeologist; 10-14-20 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 09-24-23, 10:36 AM

Found this photo recently so reviving this thread … Julio Jimenez and Raymond Poulidor in 1967 or 1968. Julio is on a Geminiani-badged bike but was know to ride Carres. Cantilevers clearly seen on this mountain stage.

Likes For Markeologist: