Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Does everyone in cold climates wear balaclava when biking?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Does everyone in cold climates wear balaclava when biking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 11:18 PM
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tried using a cheap balaclava last year but I didn't like the way it got drenched with moisture from my exhaled breath. So far this year I have been relying on my moisture-wicking skullcap, but for colder weather I ordered an Outdoor Research Ninjaclava. I bought it based on recommendations from BF members here. Apparently its design allows it to be worn as a skullcap or a neck gaiter should full-face coverage become unnecessary. It should arrive this week I look forward to trying it out during the next cold snap.
Old 01-03-11, 11:24 PM
Kip

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a thin fleece balaclava that I start wearing once the temperature dips into the 30s. This morning I commuted 9 miles in 19F weather and was comfortable.
Old 01-04-11, 05:48 AM
all-weather commuter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not. I wear a bandana over my head and ears, my helmet (vents covered with packaging tape), and earmuffs. When it gets below 25F I add a scarf. When it gets below 20F or is really windy I add ski goggles. I have a goatee, but my nose and cheeks are still uncovered. It has never bothered me.

Besides, a balaclava would really interfere with my beardcicles.
Old 01-04-11, 07:06 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just the Talus Outdoor Technologies ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava one, and it seems promising, but I haven't had a change to try it yet.
Old 01-04-11, 07:50 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by L.L. Zamenhof
Does everyone in a cold area wear one of these?
Only when it's very cold, say -20C or below, without windchill. I have a very thin silk balaclava, and even that is far too toasty for me in any warmer temps.

I do wear earmuffs and a merino wool "tube" around my neck and lower part of face (if needed). If it's cold, but still too warm for balaclava, I may add another tube worn as a cap under helmet.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines

Last edited by Juha; 01-04-11 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I wear a long necktube. I have an old one in fleece and my current one in merino wool. I find them very versatile
You can pull them up at the back to cover your ears and head. You can wear 2, one as a thing hat and one up to your ears.
I cant imagine cycling in winter without one.
Balaclavas might just be OK for the coldest nights here.
Old 01-04-11, 07:55 AM
commuter and barbarian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wear mine because it keeps the cold off my neck. And often I don't need a hat, since I can pull it over my head. And also, I don't need a face mask, because I can pull it over my mouth and nose. Very versatile.
Old 01-04-11, 07:56 AM
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm too warm blooded to get away from not wearing one. I have a 1.5 miles of dowhill stretch of road right after I get off the warm train. I coast down at 20+ mph and it gets freezing cold when I'm not moving the pedal. I have a thin Balaclava which the mouth area is a wrap around which I can unzip and most of my face is uncover when I get too warm.
Old 01-04-11, 08:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If wearing one means I'm more comfy then I'll ride more often and enjoy it. I bet some won't wear 'em and thus don't come in on bike, just to avoid it.

I've got a thin one that I wear, for temps below 30 or so F. I have a thick one but never wear it--if it's below 20 or so I'll add a skull cap over my thin balaclava and be all set.

Given that my windbreaker has a nice hood, I really don't need the balaclava. I can zip up that hood to give me much of the same coverage, and put my helmet on over it to keep it in place. However, it can get hot and it has a flange of sorts that can sometimes block my view, which means I need to tinker with it.
Old 01-04-11, 08:38 AM
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear one, all a baclava is, is a fancy scarf
Old 01-04-11, 08:56 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've got a cheap Nashbar or Performance balaclava that I wear on days when it's "nostril pinching" cold...which is usually somewhere below 10-15F.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-04-11, 08:57 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thdave
I have a thick one but never wear it
I wear my thick one when running the snow blower when it's both really cold and windy.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-04-11, 09:28 AM
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Not me. Fleece-lined polypro skull cap for modest cold. Add fleece-lined poly face mask that has enough venting to prevent fogging of glasses. I do have an OR balaclava with wind resistant front but that's reserved for the ice age nazi zombie apocalypse. Anything less and it'd be overkill.
Old 01-04-11, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 24 Posts
I have a J&G helmet cover. If it's in the ~30's, I wear a skullcap underneath. Sure, I'll sweat a bit, but I really don't care about the sweat as long as I'm warm. If it dips into the 20's, I replaced the skullcap with a thin fleece balaclava ($2 on clearance at Target).

Because I have a helmet cover, I could probably just use an earband, but I haven't tried that.
Old 01-04-11, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Nope. A pair of wool neck gaiters work much better for me. Once I start to warm up from the exercise, I can pull them back and open up more "vents," until I've only got the one on my head.
Old 01-04-11, 03:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I wear my thick one when running the snow blower when it's both really cold and windy.
Huh???

Yes, I wear mine, too, but not when I'm cycling.
Old 01-04-11, 03:49 PM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I don't wear one. I have 3 different things I can use to keep my face and/or neck warm. A fleece lined Bandanna to about 25F. A Neck Gaiter for below that. I also have a Giordini Lavawool facemask if it is windy and cold.

I also have multiple winter hats from thin skullcap types to thicker ones.
Old 01-04-11, 04:56 PM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one, I have only used it one time, (around 0 F) I found it to be too warm for me.
My helmet vents are taped over with duct tape. I generally use a neck gaitor, and 180's earmuffs. I am considering a half mask for when it gets really cold.
Old 01-04-11, 05:14 PM
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thdave
If wearing one means I'm more comfy then I'll ride more often and enjoy it. I bet some won't wear 'em and thus don't come in on bike, just to avoid it.
Exactly. This comes up in the "necessary accessories" threads too. If the lack of a thing, balaclava or fenders or whatever, means that you won't ride, then for you that thing is necessary.

Regarding clothing and layers, as long as you're having fun and not losing body parts, then you're doing it right.

Originally Posted by skijor
...but that's reserved for the ice age nazi zombie apocalypse. Anything less and it'd be overkill.
Fat tired, all terrain bike? Check.
Front and rear racks with panniers? Check.
Bite resistant helmet? Check.
Body armor? Check.
Chain mail gloves? Check.
Logger's boots and full body leathers (both bite resistant and downright badass looking)? Check.
Springfield M1A with as much ammo as can be loaded into panniers? Check.
Katana and wakizashi? Check.

Balaclava? Check. Lets do this.

Last edited by GriddleCakes; 01-04-11 at 05:32 PM. Reason: ka'nt spel
Old 01-04-11, 08:02 PM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor
Not me. Fleece-lined polypro skull cap for modest cold. Add fleece-lined poly face mask that has enough venting to prevent fogging of glasses. I do have an OR balaclava with wind resistant front but that's reserved for the ice age nazi zombie apocalypse. Anything less and it'd be overkill.
I have probably the same one, it is an excellent bit of kit for the more cold, windy and snowy days. The only issue again is you can't remove it without carrying a toque or face mask in your bags... so overheating is a risk!
Old 01-04-11, 11:16 PM
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
I have probably the same one, it is an excellent bit of kit for the more cold, windy and snowy days. The only issue again is you can't remove it without carrying a toque or face mask in your bags... so overheating is a risk!
Yup, that's it. If you need to put it on, that means it's so damn cold there's no need to ponder other headwear.
Old 01-05-11, 10:33 AM

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's rarely bitter cold in the DC area, so I don't use one, much less own one. If it's between 20*F (-7*C) and freezing, I'm fine just wearing a fleece band as an ear cover, if that, plus full-finger gloves if I feel I need them, and I'm usually plenty warm and starting to sweat a little by the end of my 7.5 mile commute. If it's colder than that, I just suck it up and suffer a little for 30-40 minutes on my commute or wrap a scarf around my face.

I have a beard, and though it's not particularly thick or long I'm sure that helps a lot. I also wear a fleece jacket that when zipped all the way up covers my neck. Guess I'm a freak, but I think it's overkill when I see people with ski goggles, balaclavas, ski gloves, etc., when it's right at freezing outside, like this morning (and yes, I saw someone wearing that get up). Of course, they probably look at me and think I must be terribly cold and uncomfortable w/ my lack of special apparel.

I'm riding my bike. It's exercise. Blood flows. I stay warm. I like the winter cold because I'm not getting real sweaty like I do in the summer.
Old 01-05-11, 01:19 PM
back in the saddle

Bikes: Raleigh Olympian, Trek 400, 500, 1500, 6700, Madone 6.9, Sekai 2400, Schwinn Passage, KOM, Super Letour, Nishiki Sport, Vision R45, Bike E, Volae Team

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear one once the temps dip below 30F. Any warmer and I sweat too much. I wear mine open from the top of my glasses to below my lilps. At 0F I add a neopreme half mask with the mouth cut out. I can then pull the balacalva over my eyebrows and below the top of my glasses. I have two thicknesses, a silk lwt and a polypro for colder weather. I can't imagine commuting without them.
Old 01-05-11, 02:43 PM
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclokitty
My home town enjoys damp winters so I always feel absolutely freezing in the winter. I am envious of those dry cold places where people can get away with a warm sweater and a down vest in the middle of January. I can't do that. Of course, I'm particularly wimpy but I am not comfortable riding in freezing temps without my ski helmet and often with goggles and a neoprene face mask. And those are worn along with winter boots and ski gloves. At least with the gear and the layers I feel like I have a shot for winter bike survival.
If this works for you great, but I find the "damp/cold" thing lacking. Dry and cold is, well can be, damn cold.
Old 01-05-11, 03:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people I know wear a neoprene face mask (covering nose and mouth, but with breathing holes), and goggles.

I wear neither. I have a scarf, toque and mitts, which is fine for my purposes. I've biked well into the -20s with this (indeed did bike one day of our -40 week last winter), and it's not super comfortable, but is perfectly adequate. Of course, I don't ride very far in winter - really just to work and back - which may reduce my needs compared to someone who lives car-free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.