Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to buy a bicycle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to buy a bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 09:35 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6319 Post(s)
Liked 4,908 Times in 3,383 Posts
Originally Posted by instock
When I bought my telescope, I was kind of in the same situation. I found something with good specs and good reviews online, but after trying to use it for a while I couldn't really make it work. I went on an astronomy forum and they were very familiar with this scope. They called it a "hobby killer". Good specs, but complete garbage as far as quality. They put an equatorial mount on it just so they could say it has an equatorial mount. The tripod is completely inadequate to hold the thing still. The lens caps all cracked. The finding scope is completely useless. I wound up getting a much smaller scope, but it is well designed and it is much more fun to use.

So for a bicycle, I want to avoid the same fate. I don't want to get the "hobby killer". With telescopes, the difference was very noticeable, even for a beginner. For bicycles, I'm not sure. How much does a beginner need to spend to have a good experience? I could increase my budget if that's really necessary.
The big issue for us is we have no idea what your experience is with a bike. Nor how you intend to use it and in what riding environment. Is your desire for a hard tail mountain bike because you intend to ride them in the type of riding that is done with them? Do you have any previous experience doing rides on such off-road terrain?

Otherwise it might be that you find you don't really want to haul your bike down to wherever they do such type riding and are just going to be riding from your home to places nearby. Probably on paved roads and trails that will have other types of bikes better suited for that use.

And if your desire for such bike is just because the looks and aesthetics of the bike really appeal to you, then you have to weigh that greatly too as if you don't like the other bikes looks, then you might not ride them much. But if the bike you like isn't suited well enough for the riding you intend to do with it, then you might also find yourself not riding much after the new wears off.

Still for buying a bike there are pros and cons for any of the methods you listed. Just because there are con's it doesn't mean that they will apply to everyone for every purchase.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-18-23 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-18-23, 09:48 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts
What is the best way to buy a bike?
If you have to ask the question, you’ve already answered your question

​​​​​​Small local shop for relationship and service?​
For you this is probably the best answer.

Big box store for selection and price?
Nope. Never. A retired industry rep at the co-op was talking with volunteers this week and he pointed out that HellMart bikes are designed to last 90 days and probably less than 100 miles. We don’t usually work on anything that comes from HellMart even for give away bikes. They aren’t worth the effort to make them “better”. As an example, I was working on an almost new kids size Schwinn on the very day we had the discussion. The frame was clean with no blemishes at all. The bottom bracket was loose so I decided to remove it and replace it with a cartridge bearing BB. It took 10 to 15 minutes with a 3 foot cheater bar to remove the fixed cup. Once out, the threads on the cup had pulled apart which I’ve found it common with the Slagesium parts used on may HellMart bikes. Even worse, the cage on the caged bearings had been ground to nearly dust and the bearings were hemispherical since they were made of the same Slagesium as the cups. Just to be clear, this was a mostly new kids bike with very, very few miles on it.

However, even with the cups pulling apart, the new BB easily threaded back into the frame. The frame was actually of decent quality.

Are there specific bikes to look for or avoid?
Avoid anything you find in the aisles of HellMart or any other store that sells bicycles next lawn mowers. I’d even avoid anywhere that sells soccer balls next to bicycles. About the only “sporting goods store” that I’d suggest buying a bicycle at is REI.

Buy online without ever sitting on it?
See answer to the first question. If you have a friend who is very knowledgeable about bicycles that can help you, buying online is okay but can still be risky. If you happen to be the very knowledgeable friend, buying on line is less risky. But, again, if you have to ask the question, you probably should go to a shop.

I'm looking to spend about $500 for a hardtail mountain bike.
No, not new for $500. If you have a co-op near you, look there. You could go with a personal sale on something like Craigslist but, again, if you have to ask the question, you should look to a shop.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-18-23 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-18-23, 09:50 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5043 Post(s)
Liked 8,291 Times in 3,918 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
The best mountain-bikes were built in the late 1990s. For five-hundred bucks you can get a high-end MTB from the 90s that is light with great components and have a much better bike for the money than you will ever get if you buy the garbage they are peddling to the public today. Look for any old hardtail from the 90s with a double-butted steel frame that is in good shape and you are golden, and you will probably have enough money left over for new tires to boot.
Keep in mind that this ^^^ advice is from someone who has zero experience with recent/current bicycles, and has continually expressed disdain for anything built in the current century. While you might be able to find a MTB bike from the '90s that will serve you well adequately, unless you have the experience to know what you're looking at, you are likely to end up with a repair project and a big pile of frustration.
Old 05-18-23, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,574 Posts
don't know where op is,

one option is to go between a local bike store and a big box store, REI comes to mind the mechanics are professional and REI is big enough to get some good prices. In the San Jose/ San Francisco area Sports basement is similar but local chain

also look for sales, which can be hit or miss sizewise

here is example of rei hardtail mtn bikes and costs https://www.rei.com/c/hardtail-mount...sort=min-price

another example from a local bike chain https://mikesbikes.com/collections/m...rice-ascending

you do get what you pay for $500 willl not get a super fance 1x set up more like microshift 2x8

Old 05-18-23, 10:50 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
one option is to go between a local bike store and a big box store, REI comes to mind the mechanics are professional and REI is big enough to get some good prices.
Seem like some good options there.
Old 05-18-23, 11:02 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by squirtdad
don't know where op is,

one option is to go between a local bike store and a big box store, REI comes to mind the mechanics are professional and REI is big enough to get some good prices. In the San Jose/ San Francisco area Sports basement is similar but local chain

also look for sales, which can be hit or miss sizewise

here is example of rei hardtail mtn bikes and costs https://www.rei.com/c/hardtail-mount...sort=min-price

another example from a local bike chain https://mikesbikes.com/collections/m...rice-ascending

you do get what you pay for $500 willl not get a super fance 1x set up more like microshift 2x8
REI is kind of an anomaly. It's one of the few multi-focus sporting goods retailers that also does a good job with quality bicycles. It's in a different league than a store like Dick's, and a million miles from a WalMart.
Old 05-18-23, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
I think I found a good shop. The owner was there. He let me try a bunch of stuff and answered all my questions. I tried a fat tire. I tried hydraulic brakes. I tried a seat that pops up when you press a button. All their tools are meticulously organized on the wall. They have a dog wandering around the shop. They organize group rides. If anybody is near Cedar Grove, check out The Loose Wheel.

Unfortunately, I didn't love any of the bikes they had. I think I like the Marin San Quentin I, but they only had one and it was a little effeminate for my taste. I can order a different color, but that adds 200 bucks to the price. I dunno. I really want to do business with them.

REI is an interesting idea. But now I am warming up to the idea of spending a little more.
Old 05-18-23, 12:00 PM
Habitual User

I think I found a good shop. The owner was there. He let me try a bunch of stuff and answered all my questions. I tried a fat tire. I tried hydraulic brakes. I tried a seat that pops up when you press a button. All their tools are meticulously organized on the wall. They have a dog wandering around the shop. They organize group rides. If anybody is near Cedar Grove, check out The Loose Wheel.

Unfortunately, I didn't love any of the bikes they had. I think I like the Marin San Quentin I, but they only had one and it was a little effeminate for my taste. I can order a different color, but that adds 200 bucks to the price. I dunno. I really want to do business with them.

REI is an interesting idea. But now I am warming up to the idea of spending a little more.
A shop dog is always a very good sign.

At the budget range you're looking at, the difference of an extra $100-200 can be a nice step up in quality.
Old 05-18-23, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

I think I found a good shop. The owner was there. He let me try a bunch of stuff and answered all my questions. I tried a fat tire. I tried hydraulic brakes. I tried a seat that pops up when you press a button. All their tools are meticulously organized on the wall. They have a dog wandering around the shop. They anize group rides. If anybody is near Cedar Grove, check out The Loose Wheel.

spending a bit more will probably will save you more money in the long run. Also many shops offer a free followup check with a tike

If this is bike, i kinda like the bright colors....beside you will get them muddy right? allso by the time you get water bottles and seat bag and such on you notice color less and it saves 200 bucks [url]https://www.theloosewheel.co/product/marin-san-quentin-1-381918-1.htm

Old 05-18-23, 01:12 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,557 Times in 1,871 Posts
Decide how You like to ride. You have some time on a bike, so you have some idea of what you like to do on a bike. Look online and find bikes that offer the features you want to suit the type of riding you do---riding position (which can be modified Somewhat with different stems and bars,) tire width, suspension or not ..... and learn a little bit about what stuff costs.

Go to a bike store, talk with the staff, explain what you have done and what you think you'd like to do. Explain that you are only browsing---you don't have cash---but if you find something really right you are a serious shopper --- it kind of sucks to get a bike shop to do all the work and then buy the same bike online. Also, particularly since you don't do your own wrenching, having a good relationship with a good bike shop can make a very positive difference .... if there is more than one bike shop in the area, try as many as you can. See what you think of the staff.

if you go to a store like Dick's or some other outdoor/sporting goods store which sells bikes, you can still get a good bike and good work done. I had a mechanic at a Dicks Sporting Goods spend about an hour working on a wheel for me--I was in the middle of a tour, and I didn't have the time or the means to scout around. The mechanic did a really good job, and took a long time because he stress-tested it and redid it, the stress-tested it again to get it better .... I have had a mechanic at a local LBS return a wheel and explain "It's as good as I could get it" and still charge me full price .....

If you are going to buy a Walmart-level bike .... well, as long as you are just tooling along the trails with your toddler sons, no stress,, but anything much more than that and you will find why so many here disrespect the current crop of big-box bikes. Your wheels won't stay true, stuff will break and not be replaceable, stuff will bend .... a lot of bike shops might not even accept a repair job on a Walmart-level bike because there is basically nothing on them which can be fixed. The come broken from the store, sort of. Sure, you could replace everything except the frame .... for about twice or three times what the bike cost. Obviously better to spend up front and get stuff which will last for several years of use.

Buying used only works three ways: One, you know a ton about bikes, and can tell if you are getting a good deal or a good screwing ... Two, you have a very knowledgeable friend who can go with you to check out every bike, and tell you which you are getting ... and Three, you just get lucky. So, yeah ... good luck with all that. You can find the apocryphal "garage queen" which some dentist bought three years ago and never rode, and is selling for one-third of its price ... and after the pandemic, you might find a lot of very lightly used entry-level bikes people bought and parked .... but if you cannot tell what you are getting .... eventually you will find out, maybe when something expensive fails and leaves you stranded.

As a poster said earlier, FIT is the Most Important aspect of buying a bike. if it doesn't fit it will never feel good.

However ..... Forget going to a bike fitter .... that is insane. You can find so much online about how to choose a bike size, and the rime factor is, you will constantly change as you ride. If you like riding, you will build core and leg strength and you will be more comfortable in a position you could not even achieve today .... and as you ride more, you will micro-adjust until things feel right for the level of fitness you have at that time. A bike fitter will charge you half the price of a bike to tell you how to get into whatever He or She thinks is the "right" position, and you might never feel comfortable ... and after a while, you might realize that the bike you bought an the body you were born with will never come together in that glorious combination that bike fitter imagined.

I know I can ride quite a range of frame sizes .... I might have to use a 90 mm or a 120 mm stem, short- or long-reach bars, and a lot or very little exposed seat post, but I can fit myself to a lot of sizes. The best idea, for me, is to get a pretty good idea of what fits you based on testing a bunch of bikes. Every frame has different geometry, and every manufacturer measures a little differently, but for instance ... I can ride a 56-cm or a 58-cm frame from just about anybody, and a 54 (though to overlap is an issue on some) and my biggest frame is like a 60 .... very short stem on that one .... So I generally try a 56 first, and a 58 next. You can find your best range pretty easily.

I have had good luck using this fit calculator, mostly because it made me get specific measurements for my various body parts. (https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...latorBike.jsp?) I have a very short torso, not much flexibility, and unusually long limbs, but because I did the measurements and figured out my proportions, I know I need a shorter top tube and a tall head- and seat tube---or a lot of seat post and a lot of spacers under the stem, and an up-angled stem. You can figure out what seems best to you and dial it is as you go.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-18-23, 03:51 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I like to support my local businesses and their employees and avoid places like Wal-Mart that depend on local and federal subsidies of their employees. I want to have access to warranty service if needed.

I start by looking at the type and pricing I want and then going to local bike shops and taking test rides on the bikes. The actual fit takes a little more time and I do that myself on my initial rides with a new bike.

Bikes with a similar weight can vary greatly in price based on the components on them. In general there are 3 levels of components on bikes sold at bike shops and for most riders the differences in performance are trivial.

You can use the bikes at a local shop to determine which size frame feels the best and then search on Craigslist for a used bike and save 50% or more. When it comes time to upgrade or change to a different bike you should be able to get most of what you paid for the used bike.
Old 05-18-23, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the best way to buy a bike? Small local shop for relationship and service? Big box store for selection and price? Buy online without ever sitting on it? What is the common wisdom? Are there specific bikes to look for or avoid? I'm looking to spend about $500 for a hardtail mountain bike.
well also look out for what you intend to do with the bicycle.
Old 05-19-23, 02:16 PM

I went to REI and had a great experience there as well. I came home with this for $690.
Old 05-19-23, 02:19 PM

Nice!
Old 05-19-23, 02:19 PM

I went to REI and had a great experience there as well. I came home with this for $690.
Nice, we are now waiting for the first ride report

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-19-23, 02:27 PM
Habitual User

Looks like a great place to start!!! Well done. Enjoy the ride!

Have you started planning upgrades yet?
Old 05-19-23, 06:13 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,557 Times in 1,871 Posts
Your choice has made a lot of posters happy.

I cannot tell you how many people have come here for advice and ignored it all and bought crap .... you actually bought a Real Bike which you could possibly enjoy riding for the next decade or two

You made a very good choice. However ... you are not going to gain the tempering that one gains by getting stranded on a trail when a cheap part breaks ... and another ... and another ...

Oh, well. We all have to make sacrifices.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-19-23, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
you actually bought a Real Bike…
Ain’t that the truth. This is so much more bike than the Schwinn.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-19-23, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
https://www.bikesdirect.com/

And no, I have no affiliation other than that's where I bought my current 27.5 gravity basecamp mountain bike.
Old 05-19-23, 07:38 PM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 1,463 Posts
Great job OP, and not just with the bike purchase, but with wanted to get back in the saddle after the accident. Kudos to you!

Nice looking bike you found, and a good step up in quality from your previous one.

Old 05-19-23, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Great job OP, and not just with the bike purchase, but with wanted to get back in the saddle after the accident. Kudos to you!

Nice looking bike you found, and a good step up in quality from your previous one.
Sorry, I deleted my previous reply to you. What I THOUGHT was happening wasn't actually happening, my bad.
Old 05-21-23, 09:58 PM

Stupid question: Can I remove the reflectors and put the lights in their place?
Old 05-21-23, 10:24 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts
Stupid question: Can I remove the reflectors and put the lights in their place?
Yes, but…

It depends on your local laws. For example, my state…Colorado… says the following about lights and reflectors

1. Every bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, electric scooter, or EPAMD in use at thetimes described in section 42-4-204 shall be equipped with a lamp on the front emitting a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the front.
  2. Every bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, electric scooter, or EPAMD shall be equipped with a red reflector of a type approved by the department, which shall be visible for six hundred feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle.
  3. Every bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, electric scooter, or EPAMD when in use atthe times described in section 42-4-204 shall be equipped with reflective material of sufficient size and reflectivity to be visible from both sides for six hundred feet when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle or, in lieu of such reflective material, with a lighted lamp visible from both sides from a distance of at least five hundred feet.
  4. A bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, electric scooter, or EPAMD or its rider may be equipped with lights or reflectors in addition to those required by subsections (2) to (4) of this section.
Notice that the statue says that the bike shall be equipped with a rear reflector but it may be equipped with a rear light. In other words, the bike must have a reflector that can be augmented with active lighting but not the opposite. You aren’t likely be to ticketed for not having a reflector but if you get hit by a car at night and don’t have the required reflectors, you could be found either partially or even completely culpable if you try to sue the motorist.

​​​​​​​Check your local laws first.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-22-23, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
  1. Determine your riding needs: Consider your riding style, terrain, and frequency of use to choose the right type of bike (e.g., road bike, mountain bike, hybrid bike).
  2. Set a budget: Decide on a budget range that suits your requirements and preferences. Bicycles can vary in price depending on their features and quality.
  3. Research and compare: Read reviews, visit local bike shops, and explore online marketplaces to gather information about different brands, models, and specifications.
  4. Test ride: Visit a bike shop and take a test ride to ensure the bike feels comfortable and suits your riding style. Pay attention to factors like frame size, handlebar position, and saddle comfort.
  5. Consider bike fit: Proper bike fit is crucial for comfort and performance. If needed, consult with a professional bike fitter who can help you find the right size and make adjustments to ensure an optimal riding position.
  6. Check warranty and after-sales support: Look for bikes that come with a warranty and reliable after-sales support. This can be helpful if you encounter any issues or need assistance in the future.
  7. Accessories and maintenance: Don't forget to consider any necessary accessories such as helmets, lights, locks, and maintenance tools to ensure a safe and enjoyable riding experience.
Old 05-23-23, 09:00 AM

Bikes: 22 Kona Hei Hei CR

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
So for a bicycle, I want to avoid the same fate. I don't want to get the "hobby killer". With telescopes, the difference was very noticeable, even for a beginner. For bicycles, I'm not sure. How much does a beginner need to spend to have a good experience? I could increase my budget if that's really necessary.
First, to give my opinion on your opening question, I would say local bike shop. Now I know that varies depending on the shop, but I am fortunate in that my local shop genuinely seems helpful, and that they want me to have a good experience. They made good suggestions about bikes, both what to, and not to, buy, and they even offered to change out components I wasn't happy with on a new bike and give me trade-in (very fair) on the take-offs.

Now for your question above, and loaded it is lol. How much does one need to spend to get a vehicle that gives a good experience? Some people are incredibly happy with a Honda Civic, and others wouldn't touch one with the exhaust from their Mercedes S class. Really hard for the crowd to give you YOUR number. My feeling? About $1500 is where I see the component level being acceptable, reliable, and having some consideration of weight. I'm talking MTB, haven't looked at road in a lot of years, as, well, I have no desire to have your experience from December. I ended up spending considerably more than that, but as an OCD engineer, it was wholly justifiable

As far as riding with kids, I have a 6 and 11 year old, both are good riders, we ride in our neighborhood on street, 25mph roads, wide bike lanes, little traffic, but I would not ride with them on roads outside of those "safe" confines, and they are always with me on the roads. I can't imagine taking my kids on "real" roads. Bike paths, trails, that's they future of riding for my kids.
Likes For Extremeengineer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.