Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I think this Specialized webpage promotes a bad image.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I think this Specialized webpage promotes a bad image.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 06:33 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24

So, we live in a society, in the US anyway, that does NOT like cyclists overall. Anecdotal evidence - the jeers, honks, insults we all face on the roads from "motorists". The ones who say "get off our roads" - even though we also (most of us) have cars, and pay the same taxes the non-cycling citizens pay.

Maybe that is because they are all dressed up like prissy pros instead of real men like in the ad. Just sayin
Old 09-07-16, 06:44 PM

Bikes: 630 Beach Bike Schwinn Hurricane ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That guy could be Joey's brother.
Old 09-07-16, 07:02 PM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 837 Posts
My daily bike commute takes me by some homeless camps and through hardscrabble neighborhoods where many people don't have bus fare to get to work or social services. You see them riding their old, abused bikes with their impossibly out-of-true-wheels, dangling brake cables, disconnected shifters often rolling on a flat or two. Seats askew riding too low for human comfort, foam padding exposed through worn vinyl. They wear somebody elses cast-off clothing wearing backpacks, or carying bedrolls and duffels on a rack, sometimes carrying a baby trailer full of belongings bungeed to a rear rack or just the seatpost. No helmet, no lights no gloves, not even in the rain or snow, wearing too much in the summer and too little in the winter, they press on at slightly bettere than walking speed, determined to get to that job, that shelter, that other place, whatever it is; they pedal with a drive and determination that rivals the titans of the tour. Those people to whom a bike is an essential lifeline...THEY are the serious cyclists.

The rest of us are hobbyists.
Old 09-07-16, 07:04 PM

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
I too am a middle aged guy with a white collar job (which I commute to everyday on a bike) And I'm involved in cycling as a sport. I shave my legs year round. I have a powermeter and a training plan. I race road and CX, I'm on the board of my team, and the juniors coordinator. It's a serious passion. And what's more, my most recent bike purchase was a Tarmac from a Specialized dealer.

And I think this webpage is awesome. It shows friends out exploring this big wonderful world on bikes and having fun. Bikes are fun. Life is fun. Lighten up a little.
As long as Specialized keeps manufacturing and making micro improvements to the Tarmac (a la, Porsche 911) they can do whatever the heck they want and I'll be a customer. If they have to target the fringe of the cycle world to keep advancing, so be it.
Old 09-07-16, 07:27 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
appearance matters.
Yep. It's impossible to succeed if you don't conform to what other people deem appropriate.

"Serious cyclist"? LMAO

Old 09-07-16, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Salsa Vaya2, Raleigh Merit 3, Trek Antelope 800, Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disagree Completely

This commercial represents the exact kind of riding that I want to do and that I choose to do. I enjoy getting out there on a rail trail or gravel road and getting a little bit dirty, but then again, I am a retired, not very fast runner who always preferred to run on trails / through the woods where there was a greater potential to get a little dirty.

For the record, I am also a middle-aged white collar male. My bicycle choices reflect the kind if riding that I want to do. I do wear a helmet every time I ride, and I bought my first pair of bibs before riding the C and O Canal earlier this summer. If I had not already purchased a Salsa Vaya about a month ago, this commercial would make me at least consider a Specialized.
Old 09-07-16, 07:37 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
a great helmet, matched with great kit and shoes. Doesn't mean you have to ride in team uniform if you're not on a team,
In the world of motorcycle racing, this is referred to as "posing". It's not a compliment.
Old 09-07-16, 07:56 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Bikes are fun. Life is fun.
I just said something similar to a friend.

My version was "Bikes are magic".

Old 09-07-16, 08:04 PM

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think we are pretty much opposites on this issue. Dressing a certain way just for the look? That is pretty meaningless to me. And knowing how much these notions and norms are ingrained into society I like to go against the grain entirely, barefoot with cargo shorts. In fact it is the same clothes I wear for running a lot too, just put the helmet on when I'm on the bike to protect my most vital part (that is useful, not for looks).

I have full kit matching my bike colors as well, don't think it looks half bad. But I see no big need for it at all and rarely wear it, perhaps a slight waste of money but ok to have around in case my other clothes are dirty.

I work in a white collar kind of environment as well, in a big high rise downtown. I despise playing dress up. I work a rotation on on nights and weekends when management isn't here I'm wearing a running shirt, shorts, and barefoot in the office. People get too hung up on particular looks that are pretty meaningless.

I really don't care about the ads though, I don't look at em and certainly don't let marketing creations sway my opinions.

Am I a 'serious' cyclist? Call me what ever you want, because I don't really confine myself to specific categories of cyclist. I am fairly new with only a couple years under my belt, but still thousands of miles, a century, and multi-day fully loaded tours, so I think I'm doing well as a cyclist, whatever you want to call it.

OK, maybe just me. Maybe I'm just being a cranky young middle aged old guy. Maybe I'm a snob.

This image from Specialized, linked from a promotional email about the Sequoia, IMHO, presents a bad, sloppy public image of cycling and reflects poorly on the company. Specifically, the older man in the center, riding with open vest-shirt, whatever that strange looking printed garment is.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...GET%20INSPIRED

My opinion is that - Serious Cycling has an image. I'm not talking about kids riding around the neighborhood or the family who does 3 miles on Saturday on their $100 Wal-mart BSO's. I am thinking about those involved in it as a sport and a serious passion, who are the type of customers who would buy from a Specialized dealer. Or for that matter Cannondale, Fuji, Kestrel, Cervello ... any of the brands sold at a "real" bike shop or "real" online retailer. Not Walmart or Kmart or other "big box" stores.

So, we live in a society, in the US anyway, that does NOT like cyclists overall. Anecdotal evidence - the jeers, honks, insults we all face on the roads from "motorists". The ones who say "get off our roads" - even though we also (most of us) have cars, and pay the same taxes the non-cycling citizens pay.

I know, another thread about "how you look" versus "how you perform". Sorry. My opinion is - we need to be good ambassadors for the sport to help it thrive. Look the part, act the part, and promote its positives in a patient and respectful way. The industry won't thrive if younger generations don't take it up, and there is a LOT of competition out there, from popular sports like soccer to the tragedy of kids who live on junk food and play video games and get NO physical exercise, being set up for obesity, type II diabetes, heart disease, cancer.

I believe part of the allure of the sport is the appearance. I bristle when people refuse to wear helmets because they "look weird" or "stupid". Nothing is "cooler" for lack of a better phrase than a great helmet, matched with great kit and shoes. Doesn't mean you have to ride in team uniform if you're not on a team, but I believe in looking the part as well as acting the part. Doesn't mean that performance and ability don't come first, but appearance matters.

I have a white collar job -- what would my clients and co-workers in the firm think if I came into work dressed in ratty old clothes? Not a professinal image.

OK, off my soapbox, let the arguments begin.
Old 09-07-16, 08:21 PM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Dance Monkeys, Dance.
Old 09-07-16, 08:25 PM

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not my image, but they can do what they want with their company. I believe in capitalism.
Old 09-07-16, 08:31 PM
Very Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am in my 60s and a judge. I would not have thought twice about it if this thread had not been started. I have now thought twice and wished I looked that fit. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Old 09-07-16, 08:31 PM

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's those punk kids in their sensible shoes, spiked hair, and cool shirts, this country is going down the crapper, now grab me a beer and get off my lawn !
Old 09-07-16, 08:37 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Damn straight! Oops is that PC?
Old 09-07-16, 08:48 PM

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Skipped the rant, clicked the link. Looks like three guys having fun a gravel. I see no problem.
Old 09-07-16, 08:49 PM
Mike R

Bikes: 2000 Sampson Z7, 70-73? Peugeot PX10

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am not sure this whole post is a joke or what, and I am tiring of trying to think it through....
So I will leave you with a link to a favorite bicycling clothing company: Isadora Apparel (https://isadoreapparel.com/)

I like to support the "old country". Oh and by the way, those guys are littered with Tats and some of those guys are still riding in the Tour de France.

That should be "serious bicycling" enough for you authorities?

Last edited by NWGuy99; 09-07-16 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 09:14 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,806 Times in 1,802 Posts
In my day I have heard many a cool story from many a bro, and that, my bro, was one of them.

Also, that's the only good bicycle ad and video I've ever seen. It would actually make me consider buying that bike.
Old 09-07-16, 10:26 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Only on a bike forum would this even be up for discussion.
Old 09-08-16, 12:12 AM

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
The guy on the left has some tats we can't make out...
That guy has lots of tats. He's also the guy who designed the bike that the three of them are riding and the full range of adventure gear that goes with it, as well as the Specialized AWOL.
Old 09-08-16, 12:17 AM

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
Three guys? Where are the women?

Replace the middle guy with a woman and I'd be happy.
See "bethwellie" on Instagram as well as the pics from Sweden: The 2016 Length of Sweden Sverigetempot: Part 01 | The Radavist. The process of designing, publicizing and introducing that model of bike was not without female input and participation.
Old 09-08-16, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotekniques
that ad is a bad image for cyclists? ummm i think the op's post is more of a bad image for cyclists
+1

Old 09-08-16, 01:08 AM

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Hah, hah, now we know why the rest of the universe thinks some riders are lycra clad w@nkers...
Old 09-08-16, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Specifically, the older man in the center, riding with open vest-shirt, whatever that strange looking printed garment is.
I don't know about bad image, but this picture certainly promotes bad fashion, particularly the guy you point out.

Helmet too small. With red straps. Wearing his wife's good work blouse. With socks he stole from the wicked witch of the west.
Old 09-08-16, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
That guy has lots of tats. He's also the guy who designed the bike that the three of them are riding and the full range of adventure gear that goes with it, as well as the Specialized AWOL.
I like the bike. If their marketing is successful there should be a lot of these available on Craigslist in a year or two.
Old 09-08-16, 06:37 AM

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1. I think if WAY MORE people would buy $100 wal-mart cruisers and ride to work and school on them instead of taking a car, the world would be a much better place.

2. I don't know what qualifies as a "serious" cyclist. When I ride with our club rides, and some solo rides I dress the part with cycling shorts, jersey, socks, gloves, and helmet. Sometimes when I take a solo ride I'll just wear a looser running tech shirt (no cotton) and athletic shorts, still wear a helmet. When I ride 100 feet up and down our street with my 6 year old, I don't wear a helmet, and sometimes wear flip-flops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.