Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My budget: $1200

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My budget: $1200

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 10:16 AM
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CardiacKid
For the most part, quality is all the same, across the range of brands, in that price range. There are very few manufacturers of frames and components. Giant makes a huge percentage of the frames on the market, regardless of what brand it says on the frames. People are going to scream that Trek and Cannondale still make their own frames, but every year they get more of their bikes from overseas.
There are only 3 companies that make component groups and not many more than that who sell wheels in your price range.
What I would look for is a good local bike shop that will sell you a bike at a reasonable price, that fits (your body and riding style) and is a color scheme you like. The decals on the frame would be the last thing I looked at.
Very wise, this poster is.

At the end of the day, it's 2 triangles. Some fit better than others .. so, get a fit done. Get the $1200 bike and spend an extra $75 - $150 for a "professional" fit.

At least start here. You WILL get caught in the sticker name love, but let that come later.
Old 06-24-07, 10:18 AM

Bikes: 1.5 Raleighs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
There's nothing wrong with shimano. Get off your high-horse...

105 is the best bang for buck gruppo, and this forum seems to share that sentiment...
ohh know not at all, 105 is garbage components for what you pay for. Mirage is CHEAPER, and LIGHTER, and more reliable. No high horse here, just plenty of experience with both.
Old 06-24-07, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
For that budget you want to buy used off Craigslist. Every week I see high end bikes that people bought thinking they would use them but they don't. At 1200$ I would buy a Lemond 853 steel bike. They are light enough, ride great and Lemond offers different sizing than the other big bike names. You would be better off buying a used frame in your size and building it with higher quality components.

All new bikes come with noisy mediocre hubs/wheels. At 1200 you can do a lot of customizing if you go used.
Old 06-24-07, 10:37 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hopetoditchcar
ohh know not at all, 105 is garbage components for what you pay for. Mirage is CHEAPER, and LIGHTER, and more reliable. No high horse here, just plenty of experience with both.
Interesting.

I looked at two Orbea Onix yesterday in the LBS, one had Mirage the other Shimano 105.
The Mirage equipped was cheaper, I asked the guy what was the difference in the groups he told me the Mirage was a step down!
Old 06-24-07, 10:50 AM
bike fandango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
spend an extra $75 - $150 for a "professional" fit
I couldn't agree more. A Serotta or other similar quality fitting session is the best money you'll spend. Get the fit first, then the bike.
Old 06-24-07, 10:52 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I suggest no shimano, that stuff just sucks bad, you pay more for worse components. I would suggest orbea, I got mine for $1100, the mirage stuff is lighter, and better quality then that 105/ ultegra trash. For the price orbea is hard to beat and the lifetime warranty is great. I have contacted there support staff a few times and they are always prompt with responses and very courteous.
I nominate this particular comment for The BF Idiot Trophy for 2007. I do realize it's only June, but this one will be very hard to beat, DocRay notwithstanding.

Conrats to Hopetoditchcar, that's a coveted Award right there. And with any luck your Orbea won't detonate mid-ride and put you in intensive care (as it did to another owner as related by a recent BF thread). I wonder if that's actually another stealthier form of Basque terrorism?
Old 06-24-07, 11:23 AM
Trigger

Bikes: Yeti SB95C, Titus X, Litespeed Siena, Electra Ticino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it amateur day @ BF? (not directed at the OP)

A friend of mine (longtime mountain biker) recently picked up a Scott speedster S50 for around 800 bucks. His intention was simply to enable himself to get additional miles in weekly. He's happy with it and feels guilty that he enjoys riding it more than his $2200 stumpjumper. Its well tuned shimano sora components accelerate him up the hills around town and right on by many sexy ti and carbon bikes with top end components.

You'll be pleasantly suprised with whichever bike you get when you move beyond the lust enducing environment provided at your local retailer or website.

Get out and ride!
Old 06-24-07, 11:59 AM

Bikes: 1.5 Raleighs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I nominate this particular comment for The BF Idiot Trophy for 2007. I do realize it's only June, but this one will be very hard to beat, DocRay notwithstanding.

Conrats to Hopetoditchcar, that's a coveted Award right there. And with any luck your Orbea won't detonate mid-ride and put you in intensive care (as it did to another owner as related by a recent BF thread). I wonder if that's actually another stealthier form of Basque terrorism?

It's nice how you ignore the facts in my post about mirage being lighter, less expensive, and of higher quality then both 105 and ultegra (which is obvious you have had no experience with all three, thus negating your opinion on the subject) and instead try to discredit orbea by bringing up a post here on BF that you know nothing about and had no involvement in. So be sure to nominate yourself for your award as well
Old 06-24-07, 02:17 PM
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's nice how you ignore the facts in my post about mirage being lighter, less expensive, and of higher quality then both 105 and ultegra (which is obvious you have had no experience with all three, thus negating your opinion on the subject) and instead try to discredit orbea by bringing up a post here on BF that you know nothing about and had no involvement in. So be sure to nominate yourself for your award as well
I have never ridden a bike with Mirage components, so I can't render an opinion. Do you know of any bike in the $1200 price range that comes with Mirage? The only one I know of is the Bianchi Eros and it only has Mirage brifters. The Orca Volata lists for $1600. Please let us know how your plug for Mirage is relevant to this thread.
Again, I am not speakling from experience, but a mechanic I trust, told me to stay away from any Campy components below Mirage. He also had some serious questions about Mirage. But again, back to my point, at a given price point, there is not much difference in quality.

Last edited by CardiacKid; 06-24-07 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 03:36 PM
SD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a Fuji 05 Team Pro Euro edition for 1199 campi centaur group, the standard Team edition with ultegra was 1100 at performance bike.

Great deals if you're willing to get a 2 year old model.
Old 06-24-07, 03:56 PM
bike fandango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoreFeet
"I would buy a Lemond 853 steel bike. They are light enough, ride great and Lemond offers different sizing than the other big bike names."
More good advice. It makes me happy how many smart people are posting to counter so many less than stellar posts.
Old 06-24-07, 04:05 PM

Bikes: Trek 1000 & 4100 & 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
I suggest something in red. Red is faster.

Word.

Old 06-24-07, 04:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, my 06 Bianchi Eros has Mirage front/rear ders, brakes, and brifters. I ride 4-5 times a week most of the year (decent weather here in Sacramento) and I have never had any shifting issues with the Mirage group. I like the fact I can thumb down and skip a few gears higher quickly. I had a 05 Allez with Tiagra/105 rear der previous (my bones does not like alu.) and I prefer the shifts on my Eros over the 105better...really solid. Either way, they are both proven components.
Old 06-24-07, 06:25 PM
MOLON LABE

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 1500, Specialized 415

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got an 06 Trek 1500 for $847 out the door. Ultegra and 105. The 07's have 105 throughout from what I hear.
Old 06-24-07, 07:45 PM

Bikes: '06 Trek 1500 and '03 Jamis Coda Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rabidchicken
I just got an 06 Trek 1500 for $847 out the door. Ultegra and 105. The 07's have 105 throughout from what I hear.
I too have an '06 Trek 1500 and it's been a great bike.

This year, 2007, Trek came out with the 1600 which has <b> 10 speed </b> Shimano 105 all the way around. I played with it at my LBS and it seemed very nice. A nice upgrade from 9 speed 105 (smoother shifting etc.) and they wanted a bit less than $1200 for it.

Might be worth checking out!
CranialCrusader
Old 06-24-07, 10:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmtomasz
Im looking to start cycling, any one recommend decent bikes in around $1200?
What about a leader bike? You could almost get ultegra (I know, I know, ALMOST doesn't count)...

But as most previous cyclists have already stated, the FIT is the most important...

https://www.leaderbikestore.com/pd_ld_736r3.cfm
Old 06-24-07, 11:57 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoreFeet
For that budget you want to buy used off Craigslist. Every week I see high end bikes that people bought thinking they would use them but they don't. At 1200$ I would buy a Lemond 853 steel bike. They are light enough, ride great and Lemond offers different sizing than the other big bike names. You would be better off buying a used frame in your size and building it with higher quality components.

All new bikes come with noisy mediocre hubs/wheels. At 1200 you can do a lot of customizing if you go used.
I completely agree. Go get fit at a bike shop and then search around craigslist for awhile. You can find some amazing deals on some nice late-model bikes.