Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

rule of thumb to put on studded tires?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

rule of thumb to put on studded tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I'm slowing *way* down because I'm scared of of wiping on a patch of ice, I know I've left it one day too long.
Old 12-01-09, 11:42 AM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
Good luck getting the weather to cooperate with your planning.

Having a second bike set up for icy/snowy days somewhat negates the need for planning and worrying about working a little harder on the studs one day more than necessary.
For example, when I looked out this morning, I saw snow and ice. I simply moved the panniers and lights to the studded bike and off I went. Co-workers were amazed that someone would be riding with roads like they were. I simply tell them it requires skill.
Old 12-01-09, 01:19 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
For example, when I looked out this morning, I saw snow and ice. I simply moved the panniers and lights to the studded bike and off I went. Co-workers were amazed that someone would be riding with roads like they were. I simply tell them it requires skill.
What skill do you use to turn your regular tires into studded tires on days when it was forecast to be clear, then you get an ice storm at 2 in the afternoon?
Old 12-01-09, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
What skill do you use to turn your regular tires into studded tires on days when it was forecast to be clear, then you get an ice storm at 2 in the afternoon?
There's that potential problem and the fact that even though I have two bikes I don't want to maintain both of them during the winter. Once I'm done with the "summer" bike it stays hung up in the garage until any residual salt has been washed from the roads in the spring.
Old 12-01-09, 05:22 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I normally do a one way commute. My wife and I work at the same place. I go to work a couple hours before her. We come home together.

So what was the outcome of your dilemma?