Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you find your motivation to ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-18, 10:36 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I think of all the money spent on bikes and gear sitting there doing nothing. A small fortune on clothing and equipment just to sit in a closet?

I also look at videos like The Bike Wanderer and it motivates me to see the world, even if "The world" is just my local trails or standard loop.

-Tim-
Old 11-27-18, 11:02 PM

Bikes: Tern D7e

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I haven't been on my bike, outside (regularly) since July of this year. I have logged less than 100 miles even in the months before that. A bevy of health issues and a couple of close calls with cars over the previous year led to a lot of it, but realize that deep down it's just an excuse. I purchased an indoor trainer back in late Sept. as an attempt to get myself kick started back into a level of health that would lead to my ability to actually ride out of my neighborhood. I have spent a total of 1.5 hours on it in three different sessions and haven't touched it other than to move it out of my way since Oct. There are two beautiful bikes of my own in the garage with zero mechanical problems. One of the two is a really decent (mid/high) end Roubaix that I am of a weight I am hesitant to get on due to it's stated restriction. I have a commuter style GT that would have no issue with it.

Even when I was riding earlier in this year and later last year it was mostly with a group of friends to go somewhere an eat/have a drink. The health benefit was probably better than doing nothing, but the caloric intake was offsetting it to less than zero for sure. That group has 'dissolved' due to work and life obligations and we simply don't have the time to get together any more.

My health is getting progressively worse. I recognize it's from a lack of activity. I gain weight, my blood pressure and heart rate are increasing. I see the need to do something and lack the simple motivation to use the tools I already own to do anything about it. Riding a bike is the most painless thing I can do, with the most benefit to me in regards to my amputation/prosthesis. As if the fact that my sedentary lifestyle is killing me isn't enough I just simply cannot get myself on the bike, on the road or trainer to do anything about it. I happily sit here on the computer/gaming/tv-ing getting fatter.

What methods have you used to kick start your interest in cycling?
My motivation is to keep on riding by way of an electric bike. It happens to be a 20" tire foldup Tern to fit my trunk rather than an external unsecure trunk rack. I prefer full size, though.

I bought it to ride up hills in my neighborhood and on group rides where hills dont show on maps, as I am 73 and overweight.

It became a pleasure as there is little effort, sweat and I can actually enjoy the scenery. I dont have to dress up in bikers duds. I can wear cotton t-shirts and shorts if I want.

My group doesnt care about the ebike. They have their expensive fiber and complex unknown designer take apart bikes and believe me, they struggle up hills while I glide with the assist. They need the struggle, as all non powered bikers do, to keep sane.

I exercise at 24Hr Fitness to lose weight with loose diet in tow. They have different programs for your needs and digital weight scales are prominent.

Your motivation to ride is something unique to you. You have multiple goals that require motivations. I suggest you write them down and post it on your refrigerator.

How did I do in explaining my real life story?
Old 11-28-18, 03:32 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
For me, it's probably a little easier to get motivated because I've tried all kinds of sports since I was a kid, competed in some sports and was very active and fit throughout my military service. Once that habit is set, you know what it takes to get back into shape and maintain some fitness.

I do it to control chronic pain and depression without medications. Whatever chemicals the brain generates during physical activity is more effective than any drugs I've tried, prescription, over the counter or recreational. Nothing compares with whatever the body itself can produce.

I do it so I don't turn out like some of my indolent relatives, weighing 300-500 lbs with diabetes, heart and lung disease, dependent on oxygen, sitting around like Jabba the Hutt eating junk food and candy all day, losing body parts and eyesight to diabetes, losing brain cells to dementia and hypoxia.

As caregiver for my grandparents, 10 years apart, and most recently my mom who died three weeks ago, I realized there are no guarantees about how our lives will end. So far I haven't seen anything remotely resembling a peaceful death. It was a long struggle in every case, gradually losing independence, coherence and any sense of self or of those around them. Playing it safe didn't lend any quality of life in the end.

To me, all of that is worse than the risk of injury from riding.

In 2001 my compact car was t-boned by a full size SUV at highway speed, breaking my back and neck. My weight ballooned to 205, way over my usual 165. I was walking on a cane for the next decade, unable to walk more than a few hundred yards at a time.

By 2014 I was able to walk up to five miles with the cane, and plenty of rest stops. I changed my diet and got down to 175.

By 2015 I'd gotten rid of the cane and started riding a comfort hybrid bike, slowly. I had to stop every 400 yards to catch my breath and huff on my asthma inhaler. It took a month before I could ride 3 miles without stopping. Another couple of months I was making 25 mile round trips to and from town, very slowly.

By 2016 I'd switched to a lighter, faster hybrid and routinely rode 20-30 miles with fewer rest stops. I made more friends in local cycling groups, which motivated me to ride more.

By 2017 I added a road bike, my first drop bar bike since the 1970s. I rode farther, got faster, got stronger on hills and gradually moved up from dead last on every climb to middle of the pack.

By spring 2018 I'd cracked the top ten on some Strava segments that were mostly dominated by the strongest, fastest local cyclists, including some men and women pros.

In May I was hit by a car, breaking and dislocating my shoulder and re-injuring my neck. By June an old thyroid condition suddenly worsened and I was so weak I could barely crawl to the bathroom. I didn't ride at all from mid-May to July. I could barely walk from the bus to my medical appointments. My thyroid was so swollen it was crushing my esophagus and trachea. I couldn't swallow solid food. I switched to a liquid diet and soft foods, trying to supplement with protein powders. My weight dropped to 150, a little lighter than I should be, but I was mostly losing muscle mass.

A friend gave me his old Cycleops trainer during the summer and by July I was able to try it on my road bike. That's pretty much all I did for a couple of months, gradually working back up in fitness. But my shoulder wasn't improving at all, the pain was excruciating, keeping me from sleeping or doing much physical therapy beyond very light range of motion.

In August a friend switched my hybrid from riser to albatross handlebars. The improvement was immediately noticeable. Less strain on my shoulder and neck. The thyroid supplement meds finally began to have an effect by September. By mid-September I was finally making progress in physical therapy. I rode the road bike only a couple of times a month, but mostly kept it on the indoor trainer. I worked my way up to one, then two, then three rides a week on the hybrid.

Last week I had surgery to remove the bad half of my thyroid. Doc said I could ride as soon as I felt like it. I waited a couple of days to try the trainer, then an easy outdoor ride. A couple of rides since then. Not very strong or fast yet but it'll come back.

What was the question again? Oh, yeah... motivation. I can't think of what would motivate me not to stay active in some capacity. If I didn't need to worry about money I'd quit everything and go ride my bike around the world.

Last edited by canklecat; 11-28-18 at 03:37 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 03:46 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
I've never lost my motivation to ride.

I've been injured or incapacitated in some way a few times so that I've not been able to cycle. But I've always been motivated.

It does help to have goals ... like the local century, several brevets, a CAM challenge, etc.

Last edited by Machka; 11-28-18 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I haven't been on my bike, outside (regularly) since July of this year. I have logged less than 100 miles even in the months before that. A bevy of health issues and a couple of close calls with cars over the previous year led to a lot of it, but realize that deep down it's just an excuse…

Even when I was riding earlier in this year and later last year it was mostly with a group of friends to go somewhere an eat/have a drink. The health benefit was probably better than doing nothing, but the caloric intake was offsetting it to less than zero for sure. That group has 'dissolved' due to work and life obligations and we simply don't have the time to get together any more.

My health is getting progressively worse. I recognize it's from a lack of activity. I gain weight, my blood pressure and heart rate are increasing. I see the need to do something and lack the simple motivation to use the tools I already own to do anything about it.

Riding a bike is the most painless thing I can do, with the most benefit to me in regards to my amputation/prosthesis. As if the fact that my sedentary lifestyle is killing me isn't enough I just simply cannot get myself on the bike, on the road or trainer to do anything about it. I happily sit here on the computer/gaming/tv-ing getting fatter.

What methods have you used to kick start your interest in cycling?
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
From what you say, it sounds more like you need a motivation to live than a motivation to ride. You recognize the unhealthy way you're living but can't seem to do anything about it, despite having opportunities to live better. That sounds like something you might need a therapist to help with.

It may be that biking isn't the right activity and you need to find something more enjoyable, but first you need some help just getting up and trying.
Originally Posted by wgscott
One trick is to commute. If I want to go home for dinner, I have to bike 15 miles, and climb about 2000 ft.
Sorry to hear of this situation, and my impression from other posts of yours I have read was that you are an active cyclist.

For me cycle-commuting is the solution. However I have other (less strenuous) modes to get to work, so here are my motivations to ride, from the sublime to the ridiculous:

SUBLIME:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Ever contemplate your mortality on the road?

Actually, in one of my most serious contemplations of mortality, the Road served as a relief:
My magic moment when I realized what makes cycling fun (important) to me was at a lunch with two doctors about 20 years ago. We got to talking about the vicissitudes of life, like sudden death, or trival symptoms as harbingers of a serious disease. We eventually came around to that old chestnut to live life to the fullest everyday.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner, said, “Well, any day with a run in it is a good day for me.” I was already an avid cyclist and cycle commuter, and that clicked with me, any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.

RIDICULOUS: To follow.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-28-18 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 04:50 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I am familiar with depression and don't feel that I am, well not in a clinical way. We had some pretty icky news and happenings over the past year that have sucked some of the fun out of life, no doubt. I do participate in other activities and have hobbies outside listed, just nothing that is particularly helping me lose weight or get fit.

I appreciate the concern though, thanks.
Try this test, from your perspective, give an example of depression. On second thought, make it two. Give two examples of when you know you're depressed. Note: it shouldn't take you long to come up with these.

BTW, its not necessary to share this, it can just be something for you to think about.
Old 11-28-18, 04:53 AM

How do you find your motivation to ride? (part 2)
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Switch things up a bit and try new things to bring back the stimulation of riding.
Go join a weekly club ride.
Ride to work.
Ride with the crazy people in Critical Mass.
Etc.
In reply to a recent General Cycling Discussion thread, “
Doyou sometimes feel like you hate your bike?” I posted
To get me out on the road, particularly since I cycle-commute as one alternative to get to work, I’m mindful of these two taglines:
Originally Posted by SammyJ
I have NEVER regretted going on a ride;I have often regretted not going when I could have!
Originally Posted by chasm54
There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.
Another disaffection, as noted above may just be boredom, and my remedy is: :
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
A local BF subscriber @rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same 11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that "just the lighting / time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.”

So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse.
FWIW.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-28-18 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 05:00 AM
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 182 Posts
I have a friend who also needs a spur to get out and ride. The two of us keep suggesting rides together, which is easy to do. Then combined, the two of us have enough willpower to actually wind up going on the ride!
Old 11-28-18, 05:12 AM

How do you find your motivation to ride? (part 3)
Originally Posted by machka
i've never lost my motivation to ride.

I've been injured or incapacitated in some way a few times so that i've not been able to cycle. But i've always been motivated.

It does help to have goals ... Like the local century, several brevets, a cam challenge, etc.
Originally Posted by jim from boston
My cycling lifestyle is important to me and retirement vis-à-vis cycling poses a dilemma.

i previously replied to this thread on the commuting forum, "how to motivate myself to ride when i'll no longer be commuting to work?"...

just yesterday a colleague asked me when i was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, "i like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to."
Originally Posted by oldscool
i like that.
but,
i have previously posted to this thread, why didn’t i ride
my job; either too much to do, so i stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the am, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride. I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (commuter rail home), and round-trip on saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week.

During the nice weather, i’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

in reality though, i probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).
PS
and posting is a form of escape [and a substitute for cycling]. A radio commentator, Dennis Prager once suggested that one should take a vacation everyday; not to physically “get away,” but do something different during the day, and that’s posting for me.
There are a lot of cyclists around here, and I like to chat; heck, I have even tried to solicit [for Bike Forums].

I have mentioned BF occasionally on the Road... .A frequent snooty response is I’d rather cycle than post at a computer.” to which I reply, Well. I post at work when I can’t be riding.” (I’m salaried and can within reason do my job at my own schedule).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-28-18 at 06:24 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 11-28-18, 05:18 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
I have a friend who also needs a spur to get out and ride. The two of us keep suggesting rides together, which is easy to do. Then combined, the two of us have enough willpower to actually wind up going on the ride!
Which now begs the question: is motivation something that come from within or without?
Old 11-28-18, 05:46 AM

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
At the very least my belly keeps me inspired, even when I am down it seems like there is overhang at the belt. But especially when temps are nice and cool, and having a bike that is operating smoothly, and a pleasant place to ride gets me out the door quite easily. Plus, I have problems sitting down for very long (mental not physical).
Old 11-28-18, 06:56 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7707 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,913 Posts
Somewhat similar if less intense and less protracted situation:

I had a few increasingly good months, culminating in a July which was my best month of cycling since 2015. I was getting my weight in control, I felt strong, the rest of my life was rolling along well …

Then one after another things started going wrong: bike issues, health issues, a neck injury, a month of in-laws …. Now my weight is probably the highest it has been since before 2015, and my motivation is at its lowest. Add to that the bad weather, and it is increasingly hard to get up and ride.

Like yourself, I was the “C”-group specialist … until that group dissolved. I road with the B group for a while, only on their recovery day, but as soon as I lost even a tiny bit of fitness, I couldn’t keep up.

Between the computer, TV, and food … there is no real reason to get out on the bike …. Sort of.

So I have to force myself, fool myself, decide I am going to ride and refuse to let myself not. I cannot do that too often … but every time I do, I enjoy myself.

I have forced myself to accept doing ten-fifteen mile rides … at least I am riding. I focus 100 percent on enjoying the ride. When that one-percent incline kicks my butt … and I don’t feel like digging deep ... I downshift. I don‘t care. I am not racing, or riding to any plan or program. I just want to have a pleasant riding experience on the days that I do ride.

It is still hard to get on the bike. Just last night I knew I kind of wanted to ride … but the temp was a couple degrees cooler than the night before, and was due to get even colder and …. Any excuse can stop me.

Still …. I can get a few rides a week, and every one is a good ride. And every positive association is a little more motivation.

I don’t need to get back to riding four or five days a week, or planning a big ride for my day off … I just need to get on the bike now and then, and enjoy it. Slowly, my brain relearns that I Do enjoy riding, and going for a ride becomes a valid option when considering what to do next.

In time, I figure, I will be back on the bike a lot more frequently, and my mileage will increase organically. After all … I still like riding.

And if, at some stage, I Stop liking riding … I will find some other activity. Maybe I will buy a spin-cycle or something. But so long as I Like riding … I don’t have to do it every day. I just need to keep reminding myself that I like to ride.

Getting back on the bike is a slow process, but so long as I don’t forget that I enjoy riding, I will still find days when I would rather ride. And so long as I enjoy those days, those days will increase in number, organically.

Weight loss is more about diet (which is more about mental state (which is helped but not cured, by cycling.)) Even if I am riding a lot, I need to pay attention to me eating … and to my mental condition. If I am getting too frequently into depression, there are a lot of tools I have learned over the years which work for me a little.

If I try to cure everything by riding my bike, riding becomes a burden and a chore and medicinal … and ceases to be either enjoyable or therapeutic.

I am a big fat man with a bad brain and I ride despite those things, not because of them, not to cure them, not to fix them …. But those are side effects of a good ride.

So every now and then I say “Eff it, I am going to ride around the block today,” … and it is good.
Old 11-28-18, 07:31 AM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
@Maelochs, thank you. Your post resounds with me and hits home to what I am feeling. I appreciate the perspective.
@Jim from Boston thank you as well, there are some good points in "all that".
@KraneXL I will say again that I recognize depression. I won't go too far into it for privacy but to say that some things are going on that have me very stressed, angry, and feeling impotent about it as there is simply nothing to be done, till it's done. It's not depression, even though it is depressing. I hope you understand. See Maelochs post above.

To all whom have posted, thank you much. I do enjoy cycling when I actually get myself out to do so. Just got to grip down and do it.
Old 11-28-18, 07:42 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
BTW, I will add one thing besides my post above.

Regarding weight loss... this should be your rock bottom, absolute last priority as motivation for cycling.

In fact, weight loss should never be a goal. It's psychologically defeating. It's something that may happen as a result of doing other things for yourself that help you feel better about yourself.

Some of my dearest bicycling friends are overweight. Even obese. I may worry about them a little, mostly because I'm selfish and want them to be around for awhile. But they ride bikes, usually as part of a casual group of friends. I don't think of it as not doing enough to lose weight. I think of it as winning a little ground in a lifelong struggle. They're doing something good for mind and body. That can only help.

And weight loss may not happen at all. Don't worry about it. Your real friends and family who love you won't care, other than worries about how it affects your health.

Ride your bike because you enjoy it for its own sake. Whatever makes you happy, without a rebound of guilt, will also make you healthier.

Make little changes in your diet to favor stuff you enjoy that also happens to reduce those cravings for sugars and simple carbs. We crave sugars and simple carbs when we wait too long to eat; when we're depressed or anxious; when we're so busy we think we don't have time to eat properly, so we grab a candy bar, donut or milk shake because it's immediately gratifying and gives us an energy boost and we intended to eat something more substantial later... etc, etc, etc.

Even fruit can be an unrecognized source of sugar. Most contemporary fruits have been genetically altered over the decades to be sugar bombs. They're nothing like the original versions of those same fruits. So a protein supplement powder smoothie mixed with bananas, strawberries, melons, etc., can have as much sugar as a candy bar, or more. I save those for immediate pre- or post-ride drinks.

Instead, fill up on meat, eggs, or savory vegetarian substitutes, anything with a good balance of protein and fats -- these are complex filling foods that satisfy the body and ward off those cravings for the sugar rush. Don't let yourself get too hungry.

The body will adapt pretty quickly and you'll soon feel fewer cravings for unnecessary sugars and simple carbs. You'll soon feel cravings for other stuff that's actually pretty good for the body.

Don't deprive yourself entirely of sweet and simple carbs (including beer and any adult beverage) if you enjoy those. Make them rewards for a bike ride, or motivation to go for a ride. If you gnaw on a candy bar, go for a ride or brisk walk. Teach your mind and body to connect the two: Reward for riding a bike, and you get the brain chemical rush too. Win-win.

This is stuff I've done myself. I didn't make weight loss the goal. I made healthier eating and enjoying the food the goal. I happen to be a shameless carnivore and omnivore, so it was an easy change. I would not make a good vegan, although I've tried the vegetarian route a couple of times. I couldn't get full feeling enough to fend off the cravings for sugar.

I was 205 lbs at my heaviest in the early 2000s. At the moment I'm down to 150 but that's really too light and mostly because I've had some health problems. I expect it to go back to 160-165. That's fine. I'd rather have a comfortable pudge and not feel like I'm making sacrifices. I'm not competing with anything other than getting through the next day. And hopefully enjoying it along the way.
Old 11-28-18, 07:46 AM

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If I wasn't riding, my daily eating habits would have me north of 250lbs.
If I wasn't riding, my depression would inevitably get worse, and I'd fill that with food, until I was north of 300lbs.

So I get up and I ride. Almost every day. To the point where it's (almost) an obsession. Because I know that if I stop, I'll probably die.
Agree, also very true for me, also I need my cycling fix, like a drug I seek the riding high that is extra special when spinning on roads with mother nature
Old 11-28-18, 07:48 AM

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Whenever I need a little motivation I tell myself that today's ride will be a slow one and I'll take a route that I haven't taken before. I'll stop along the way, get a cup of coffee or a doughnut, maybe even walk my bike a little and do a bit of window shopping. It seems that whenever I stop to smell the roses and take my time it helps me realize why and how bicycling can be so much fun.
This is a great idea. When I don’t want to ride for fitness, sometimes I go to grocery store or just an evening slow ride around my neighborhood. Leaving the computer out of the mix sometimes helps also. I have friends that also ride, we don’t ride together often because I am such a slow poke, but we do talk about rides and our cycling plans.
Old 11-28-18, 08:00 AM

@Maelochs, thank you. Your post resounds with me and hits home to what I am feeling. I appreciate the perspective.

@Jim from Boston thank you as well, there are some good points in "all that".

@KraneXL I will say again that I recognize depression. I won't go too far into it for privacy but to say that some things are going on that have me very stressed, angry, and feeling impotent about it as there is simply nothing to be done, till it's done. It's not depression, even though it is depressing. I hope you understand. See Maelochs post above.

To all whom have posted, thank you much. I do enjoy cycling when I actually get myself out to do so. Just got to grip down and do it.
Thanks for that reply. Although I have posted,
…what I have gotten directly from BF [include]:

• the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
I am glad you did read them.

I also thought @Maelochs ‘ post was especially well-written, in his indomitable style. I resonate with both you guys.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-28-18 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 08:08 AM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by canklecat
BTW, I will add one thing besides my post above.

Regarding weight loss... SNIP.
I appreciate all that. We (my SO and I) have tried DIEt. It just isn't a thing that is going to work for me, at least not like that. I don't crave sweets, don't really care for them any more. I would say my biggest downfalls are that I drink some and have quit being active. I have cut my portions significantly after speaking with a dietician. So, what is left is for me to get some aerobic exercise, get my heart rate up, burn some calories on a regular basis.
Old 11-28-18, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18574 Post(s)
Liked 16,031 Times in 7,528 Posts
I drink some and have quit being active
Connection between the two? Time to become a "friend of Bill?"
Old 11-28-18, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I find that charting my activity helps motivate me - I keep a spreadsheet calendar that I update daily with miles biked, run or hiked, my pace, and my weight. I take a break from work several times a day to look at the chart, review the progress I've made, add goals for the future. When I'm injured and not working out, I update the calendar with the injury/pain description, and look forward to being able to ride or run again. Also, getting a new bike last year was huge, it's so much more enjoyable to ride a bike that fits well and shifts perfectly.
Old 11-28-18, 08:28 AM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Connection between the two? Time to become a "friend of Bill?"
I know Bill. Got a t shirt from the guy some years back. Not that level of drinking, and certainly a lot more to it than I wish to discuss here, lol. More in reference to the caloric intake of it.

If I had to "point" at very specific causes of my not riding....I was at a group ride a couple of years ago now and had a really bad crash that put me in bed for several weeks and threw my hips out. Ever since then my hips give me issue. I was involved in pain management (after my moto accident, before this one) and tapered myself off that poison years ago, but I (obviously) FEEL the issues I have more now, along with age. So when my hip goes out I go to see a really good chiro I know. When the back of my leg rashes out I have to rest.
The area that I live in is very hilly and has a very limited number of routes to take. Even driving away from home there are only so many places to go. Like another poster above I just got bored with the same old same old routine, quit riding enough to actually be able to tackle the "hills" in my area, or keep up with the group ride. In order for me to take an easy pace, easy route ride I have to get in the truck and drive 20-30 minutes away, and my by myself, which also gets old.

All of that together, in a nut shell, is my excuse folder.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 11-28-18 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 08:40 AM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I ride for my health. I am a diabetic and exercise reduces the amount of insulin that I take daily and helps control my diabetes. I had read that 95% of people with diabetes that have it under control will not suffer the devastating effects of illness, such as blindness, neuropathy, kidney failure ... I have bad knees so I will not run. Riding a bike will maintain my quality of life. This is what motivates me.

I set goals, in the Clyde forum, there is a monthly thread on monthly ride goals, once I put in a goal, I will do whatever I can to reach that goal.
Old 11-28-18, 09:11 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Regarding weight loss... this should be your rock bottom, absolute last priority as motivation for cycling.
+1. At least for me, doing about 2000 miles a year the past few years, the weight loss has been negligible and likely coincidental. Maybe my body just doesn't respond to cycling for weight loss, but I'd think I would have to put in a serious amount more effort on top of what I already did to hit any meaningful losses. If I were doing it for that reason, I'd have given up long ago.
Old 11-28-18, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by GailT
I find that charting my activity helps motivate me - I keep a spreadsheet calendar that I update daily with miles biked, run or hiked, my pace, and my weight.

I take a break from work several times a day to look at the chart, review the progress I've made, add goals for the future. When I'm injured and not working out, I update the calendar with the injury/pain description, and look forward to being able to ride or run again.

Also, getting a new bike last year was huge, it's so much more enjoyable to ride a bike that fits well and shifts perfectly.
and another thing…
On my Excell spreadsheet I track:

1. Miles: Goals for the day, with weekly and YTD totals (predictable for commutes and intended long training rides), and actual miles ridden. The spreadsheet then calculates my compliance to the goals (in %). I use red font for my carbon fiber road bike, and black font for the beater aluminum road bike, with studded tires on all winter. Annually I try for but have not attained 5000 miles.

2. Average speed: Not so much to consciously increase, but to use as a measurement of fitness; ridden over pretty standard routes.

3. Average cadence: Again as a measure of progress. I use Cadence and Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE) as my training tools.

4. Route (commuting and training): I have four usual commuting routes with code names, and I record variations I do to increase miles. This helps me plan routes when I follow a 10 Week Century Training Schedule with daily mileage quotas published years ago in Bicycling Magazine.

5. Wind speed and direction: Either as recorded on a weather station, or on a personal 1 to 6 scale (headwind / tailwind) based on flying flags; to explain variations in average speed.

6. Temperature at starting point: (ambient, not windchill), and levels of dress, on a personal 1 (hot) to 6 (cold) scale. Useful to establish a record, especially to decide what to wear at the change of seasons.

7. Arrival time at work: To better schedule my commute. I once had a field entitled “5 AM checkpoint” to note where I was at that time. In recent years it’s been, “6 AM checkpoint.”

8. Resting Heart Rate: As a measure of cardio fitness, taken in the AM soon after rising, while calmly sitting. When I’m in good shape it’s about 48 or less.

9. Excuses (not to ride): Too frequent…say no more.
...I also plot my mileage on a graph and that visual is motivating to spend the extra time from my busy life to keep up with the schedule.
Or maybe the OP and subscribers of this thread would be interested too, since we all seem to be mileage junkies

(Hi...my name is Jim, and I'm a cycling mileage junkie. It got so bad that I even rode in the Winter...I had to hide it from my co-workers and family..."…Hi Jim…)
Old 11-29-18, 08:03 PM

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 422 Posts
I can't imagine not riding. I do know the days I might be busy doing other things, or having weather issues, I think how much harder it will be to get up to speed, for every day spent off the bike. The more you ride, the more you ride. I see kids sitting around being bored, getting in trouble, shooting each other, and wonder how different it might be, if they were out riding their bike, or at least working on it for tomorrow's ride. Bikes are wonderful things, but you have to ride them to make them work for you.

One day before the start of a Solvang Century, it was raining. Each of us was waiting for the other to bail on the ride. Neither of us would give in, 5 miles later, the sun came out and we had a great ride. Sometimes its just being too stubborn to quit, kind of a reverse of lack of motivation.

Here in LA it's been raining all day. No ride today. I can't imagine living somewhere where weather kept you off the bike for any extended time. One day in a row is enough for me. 😥

Last edited by Slightspeed; 11-29-18 at 08:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.