Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How far is too far?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How far is too far?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 06:11 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,503 Posts
Originally Posted by Daily Commute
many people go to the gym for an hour a day, so a ride that would take you an hour to an hour and a half sounds like a good work out, especially if you can put the bike on the rack for the trip home. But, as others have said, we can't really tell you how to balance your life.

Maybe what you should do is think about what you'd have to cut out of your life to make the commute work. If you'd cut out time watching TV, the commute is worth it. If you'd cut out time with your kids, the longer commute might not be worth it.
This is how I'm justifying taking the extra time to cycle to work. It works for me, but I'm lucky that I have an excellent route. The roads are open, and traffic is light, so I can go as easily or hard as I choose. If I were riding in city traffic, I wouldn't have as big a choice. I'm getting a lot of exercise, and it doesn't matter that I don't get to ride much on weekends.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-15-09, 12:45 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I find my 17 mile ride a bit too much so only ride a couple of times a week if the weather is fine (67 yrs old). A route without interruptions due to intersections makes a long ride more tolerable. The time spent commuting doesnt matter, if it is part of your planned recreation time.
Old 05-15-09, 01:07 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,503 Posts
I'm having a blast lately. It's 10 miles each way. I do it once or twice a week, gradually increasing that. I hope it gets easy enough that I do it four or five days a week. I think I'm getting there. I am definitely stronger after only a few months.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.