Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Something disc brakes need

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Something disc brakes need

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-23, 08:49 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4517 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,821 Posts
Not really a big issue you can basically put anything between those pads like a business card or cardboard or some other piece of plastic or metal or a folded piece of paper or maybe some balsa wood... or just not touch the brake levers and don't have the issue. Or better yet get a hitch on your car and a proper rack and free up the back of your truck and not have to remove wheels and such.

I have never really worried about this non-issue so many easy solutions that don't involve complete redesigns of brakes for a minor inconvenience for a few people who haven't taken the time to think of the various solutions to the problem,.

indyfabz unfortunately new business cards don't work for Campagnolo or Magura brakes and the newest SRAM Red brakes require cards without raised lettering. Also make sure you use the appropriate DOT or Mineral Oil compatible cards the wrong one could permanently damage your brakes and it is not covered by most manufacturer warranties.
Old 08-13-23, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 808 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklotz
Hi guys. I recently bought a bike with disc brakes. In my case, I have to remove the front wheel to get it in my car. The little plastic piece that I have to put in between the calipers when I do is a terrible solution IMHO. Surely, with all those brilliant engineers designing all this amazing technology these days, they could come up with a way to lock them when there is no disc inserted, no? I sure wish they would, even if it did add a couple of grams. It's just a matter of time before I loose that little plastic thing.
If you lose the little plastic thing, any hardware or big box home store sells paks of "toilet shims". They are the right shape and size to serve as brake brake blocks when the wheel is removed.
Old 08-13-23, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 808 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It's not a requirement. Just don't squeeze the lever.
Old 08-14-23, 12:00 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 2,112 Times in 1,112 Posts
I put them in when I pack my bike for flying. Between baggage handling, the TSA, and everything flopping around after the TSA has effed up the packing, the levers might get squeezed 1000 times.

It'd be nice if there were some simple and clever solution. What's that Russian invention technique? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIZ
Old 08-14-23, 12:16 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13008 Post(s)
Liked 7,924 Times in 4,214 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklotz
Hi guys. I recently bought a bike with disc brakes. In my case, I have to remove the front wheel to get it in my car. The little plastic piece that I have to put in between the calipers when I do is a terrible solution IMHO. Surely, with all those brilliant engineers designing all this amazing technology these days, they could come up with a way to lock them when there is no disc inserted, no? I sure wish they would, even if it did add a couple of grams. It's just a matter of time before I loose that little plastic thing.
If it's a mountain bike, putting cable actuated disc brakes on is a fairly simple proposition.
Old 08-14-23, 04:12 AM

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
I have squeezed the brake a few times with the wheel off and it was not the end of the world. I just pried the pads apart.
Originally Posted by downtube42
I put them in when I pack my bike for flying. Between baggage handling, the TSA, and everything flopping around after the TSA has effed up the packing, the levers might get squeezed 1000 times.
Yea, I might consider putting in some kind of shim if packing the bike for shipping as checked baggage. That is if I think of it. I never had any of the shims that came with the bikes I have with discs. The shops set the bikes up and if they came with something I never saw them. BTW, it would occur to me that maybe one of the easiest things to make a shim from might be wood.
Old 08-14-23, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4620 Post(s)
Liked 5,160 Times in 3,189 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1

BTW, it would occur to me that maybe one of the easiest things to make a shim from might be wood.
Card is the easiest solution given the thickness required.
Old 08-14-23, 04:55 AM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 2,358 Times in 1,138 Posts
Relax, use reasonable care and you will be fine. If this was a big issue, these forums would have more messed up caliper posts than chain lube arguments.

I remember when I picked up my disk brake bike new. The salesman said that if I ever touched the brake lever with the wheel removed I would have to bring the bike back to him and that he had to use a special tool to disassemble the calipers and put the pistons back in. I've had car salesmen try to feed me bull butter too.

Old 08-14-23, 05:34 AM

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 114 Posts
Bought a hydro-disc bike last April (first bike in 50+ years), only had to remove front wheel twice since. Didn't seem A Big Deal though it did take me a moment's pause when it came time to remount the wheel, getting the disc lined up between pads.

This thread's brought the issue up in my head now, I'm thinking a credit card might work to separate pads inadvertently closed? Or maybe an old one, cut in strips then a piece folded in half to serve as a 'keeper' once wheel's removed? We're only talking maybe what, 0.080" thickness, right?

I'd be more worried about contamination myself... folks @ LBS were adamant that's To Be Avoided.