Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1X11 v triple chainring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

1X11 v triple chainring

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Another reason not mentioned is tyre clearance. In order to fit a 50c or wider tyre on a "endurance bike" with endurance geometry, you have to make sacrifices such as crimping or dropping the drive side chain stay or not leaving enough room for the extra chainring.
Old 12-19-18, 01:38 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
The gearing philosophy on racing road bikes is different. The goal is to give you two passes through the corncob section of the cassette. To get shifts that small a 1x cassette would have to be 16 speed or something. 1x works great on a commuter, though.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-19-18, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
When I started biking I accepted what affordable equipment was there in the market and tried to learn how to use it and suffer with its deficiencies, including equipment arriving out of tune. These days I use market equipment as a starting point and evolve it to my needs and, including a flawless working condition. On the main bike, in particular my gearing evolved through 3x7 -> 3x9 -> 4x9 -> 4x8, the latter to take advantage of more robust chains. On a folder I evolved over 2x3 -> 2x2x3 -> 3x2x3. I am sure recumbent people have, here and there, far more elaborate setups. I modified front, rear ders, cogs, rings, tensioners, cabling and shifters when needed. My front shifting on every bike works like butter. For common everyday setups it takes, in fact, under half an hour to arrive at such an operation for front der. If the only way somebody can deal though with equipment is when having 1x11(or more), let them have that.
Old 12-19-18, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Think of a triple as having 3 gear ranges: one for steep uphills, one for most of the time and one just for downhills and tailwinds. 11 cog cassettes allows one to use huge rear cogs that eliminate many rider's needs for the extra gear ranges.

I'm down to riding a recumbent trike. It has a 3 X 10 drivetrain but I very rarely find the need to use either the big ring or the granny. Honestly, I don't even know what the gear tooth sizes on my crankset are. If the 10% section of the uphill from the Katy Trail to my condo was a little bit longer I'd probably use my granny more but I really don't ever foresee a need for my big chainring because I just don't ride that fast anymore.
Old 12-19-18, 09:04 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked 2,546 Times in 1,437 Posts
I think half the people responding here either missed the part where the OP said “off-road” or are not aware that mountain bikes made for singletrack trail riding are very different animals than road bikes and recumbents.

Yes, I think most people get why 1x11 is not going to work for a lot of people on road bikes or touring bikes. That is not what the OP is asking about (unless he does not know the difference either).

Of course, if we just want to re-hash the 1x vs 2x vs 3x debate for the 1000th time that’s cool too.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-19-18 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-19-18, 10:51 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
And before fietsbob suggests it: no, I am not interested in a Rohloff.
It's actually 3 N,M,W 3 speeds (9-2 ) =7 x2 ...
Old 12-19-18, 05:34 PM

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Thanks guys for the responses RE front derailleur shifting. It's pretty much what I assumed and was doing intuitively, although I think I need to "back off" even more in some situations, as I've dropped chains to both the inside and the outside a couple of times (on bikes where I'm fairly certain the limit screws are spot on, and that shift the front flawlessly on the stand).

As for the whole 1X discussion, I think we all realize that each of us has unique needs and riding situations, so it's impossible to label anything right or wrong. Personally, part of the reason I like 2X setups is that it's part of the mechanical elegance of a road bike, even if some of you think the front derailleur is an imperfect instrument.
Old 12-19-18, 05:53 PM

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 479 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
On the main bike, in particular my gearing evolved through 3x7 -> 3x9 -> 4x9 -> 4x8, the latter to take advantage of more robust chains. On a folder I evolved over 2x3 -> 2x2x3 -> 3x2x3.
4x8? Pictures please and gearing specs

Anyway riding single track with 1x11 is awesome, I can dump 4 gears with one push of the thumb then two pulls of the lever gets me 4 gears up and I'm sprinting away. No muss no fuss

Plus the 11-40 cassette has superior spacing to my old 11-34 9 speed.
Old 12-19-18, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
4x8? Pictures please and gearing specs

4 Rings

4-Stop Shifter

Rear Derailleur

My front is 18-26-34-46. My rear is 12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32. With one twist I move 4 rear gears worth up or down. I had days when I rode both my highest and lowest gears in my setup, because they were fitting the situation and not to demonstrate something.

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Anyway riding single track with 1x11 is awesome, I can dump 4 gears with one push of the thumb then two pulls of the lever gets me 4 gears up and I'm sprinting away. No muss no fuss

Plus the 11-40 cassette has superior spacing to my old 11-34 9 speed.
I had been riding 1x11. It was much better than I expected, but it is nowhere near my 4x8 or 4x9.
Old 12-19-18, 07:47 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12974 Post(s)
Liked 7,891 Times in 4,195 Posts
How's your crank setup?

Looks like Mountain Tamer Quads are sold out

Mountain Tamer Chainring Adapters, Gorilla Brake Beefers, Gorilla Headlocks and more
Old 12-19-18, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
How's your crank setup?

Looks like Mountain Tamer Quads are sold out

Mountain Tamer Chainring Adapters, Gorilla Brake Beefers, Gorilla Headlocks and more
Yes, I have a Mountain Tamer Quad. I stocked up when their supply was thinning up. It allows you to go down to 16T but I decided to end it at 18T for the sake of even spacing. Of course you can go down to 20T without such extreme means.
Old 12-19-18, 08:52 PM
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by 2_i
Yes, I have a Mountain Tamer Quad. I stocked up when their supply was thinning up. It allows you to go down to 16T but I decided to end it at 18T for the sake of even spacing. Of course you can go down to 20T without such extreme means.
I’m not sure I coild remain upright pedaling 18/32
Old 12-19-18, 08:56 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked 4,303 Times in 2,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

What I never liked were triples on trail bikes. I ditched my big ring in 1999 and went 2x9 and never looked back.Best thing I ever did drivetrain-wise.

My turn: Whatever floats your boat. Enjoy it.

A 1x11 with a 10-42 cassette is a 420% range and 11-46 is pretty close at 418%. If that is not enough, 11-50 is 455%. Is that seriously not enough for mountain biking?
No, it’s no where near enough range. A standard 44/34/22 triple with a 11-34 cassette has a 618% range. That’s almost adequate. If you are only doing mountain bike parks or limited range riding perhaps a 420% range will work but if you are ranging over longer distances where you run into lots of different kinds of terrain...including some pavement...that 420% range is very limited. That link above in shows the a 34 tooth midrange 1X11 with a 10-42 cassette. It has no high and a relatively high low.

But with just a little bit of work, it’s possible to get to a 720% range that works quite well. I have a 44/34/20 triple with an 11-36 10 speed cassette. I’m not stuck with having good gears for climbing or good gears for going downhill. I have both.

Is the simple fact that you can ditch an entire component of the drivetrain (the end that shifts worse) not an obvious advantage?
If you are satisfied with limited gearing, then whatever floats your boat. If you are satisfied with traveling across the entire cassette to get from high gear to low gear instead of being able to make larger jumps to middle and/or low range, then whatever floats your boat.

I’ve also never found the front derailer that hard to adjust properly. The problem isn’t the mechanism...although it could have been designed better as noted above...it’s that people don’t know how to use it properly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-19-18, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I’m not sure I coild remain upright pedaling 18/32
This is what you need to start up from a ditch in an iced-up snow. In terms of distance traveled per turn I set up my folder even lower as I periodically take that folder to places that are still rougher than around the house.
Old 12-19-18, 09:21 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 3,963 Times in 2,359 Posts
How slow can you ride? With a load? I can do under 3mph for a long time if I have the right gearing. With a 24 ft and a 34 rear about 3 to 3.5 is about as slow as I can feel "on top of the gear".

I certainly agree that of road low gearing is different. Sometimes one can get away with a higher low as the slope isn't too long, even if significantly steeper then most of what is seen on road. Sometimes there's no time to shift well and one just has to grunt it out. Sometimes it's the traction at the wheel that is the limit. Sometimes one just wants it easy and dismounts. Andy
Old 12-19-18, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
How slow can you ride? With a load? I can do under 3mph for a long time if I have the right gearing. With a 24 ft and a 34 rear about 3 to 3.5 is about as slow as I can feel "on top of the gear".
I went out to measure with my folder that is now set up with a lower lowest gear than the main bike and it looks that I can ride continuously at 2.4mph, and it starts to be wobbly. This site claims that one can go down to 1,5mph, but there is no info there on how they arrived at that number
Old 12-20-18, 07:00 AM
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
My thoughts on the subject:

1x_vs_double/triple - pros and cons
Old 12-20-18, 09:56 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked 4,303 Times in 2,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

I certainly agree that of road low gearing is different. Sometimes one can get away with a higher low as the slope isn't too long, even if significantly steeper then most of what is seen on road. Sometimes there's no time to shift well and one just has to grunt it out. Sometimes it's the traction at the wheel that is the limit. Sometimes one just wants it easy and dismounts. Andy
I will say that starting in a 13" to 15" gear, especially on a hill, requires a lot of finesse and no small amount of luck. And it's a whole lot harder to start on a loose surface like a trail than on a hard surface like a road. But once started, it's easy to maintain slow speeds for a long time. Two to 3 hours of climbing at 3 to 4 mph is something that I have done with regularity...mostly in the mountains of the eastern US. Western roads tend to be a bit flatter...any grade over about 7% is rare here. Eastern roads have 15% to 25% grades thrown in with wild abandon and some go on for miles. New Found Gap road out of Gatlinburg, TN comes to mind. It took me 3 hours to cover 16 miles. The maximum grade was 25% and the average was 4% with a 3000 ft elevation gain. My speed at the 25% grade pitch was 4 mph.

On a recent bike packing trip, one of my days had a 5.9 mph average for 28 miles of riding with a 6500 foot elevation gain. There were lots and lots of places where I was down to less than 3 mph and still upright. There were also lots of times when I was walking. But I appreciate my low gears for just that reason.

On the same trip, I had two days of downhill. The day before the one above, I lost that 6500 feet over 45 miles and appreciated the ability to hit a max speed of 45mph. I also appreciated the ability to do a 13.5 mph average. On the day after the one above, I had a similar experience. With a 1x system, I would have been able to either climb well or descend fast but I couldn't do both.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-20-18, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3326 Post(s)
Liked 2,172 Times in 1,232 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
My thoughts on the subject:

1x_vs_double/triple - pros and cons
Very good article, pretty much gets it all.

Only thing I would question is do 1x systems really have an increase in wear of the chain and cassettes due to cross chaining ?. Not sure if this is a real issue. In ye olden dayes, with a mt. triple, you could typically use all 7, 8 or 9 of the cogs while in the middle ring without worrying too much about cross chaining and system wear. Or at least you could worry about it but the system could handle the angles without complaining. With typically longer chainstays (as compared to road bikes) the angles were not so steep and in general the system worked OK without a lot of chain drop, unless maybe in a DH race. In practice the usage tendency was rather than shift the front up or down and risk getting "caught" in the granny or big ring, as you encounter a rapid change of terrain, you would simply stay in the middle. Thus maybe the push for wider cassettes. A look at Sheldons gear chart somewhat shows the evolution of large cogs on cassettes. For Shimano systems 7 & 8 went to 32 or 34. 9 spd. went to a 36, 10 went to a 42 and 11 goes to 46. Can't say if this is a case of Shimano responding to user demand, or and as is more likely, Shimano (and SRAM) just pushes what they feel is appropriate for the users, with the result that end users see a 46 and say "I don't need a triple". Or a double.

With 1x I wonder is the 11 or 12 cassette that much wider in terms of space used on a hub, as opposed to a 7, 8 or 9 ? so as to cause much add'l system wear as compared to a 7-8-9 spd. triple system ? I believe the answer is "maybe", but does it become a common complaint from users that "my 1x system wears so much quicker ?". Certainly the cogs are spaced tighter and that accounts for no increase in wear, but the cogs are also thinner as is the chain, and that might increase system wear, maybe counteracted by better materials in use compared to 20 years ago, so that increases durability. Thus a wash overall is my take.
Old 12-20-18, 10:21 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The chains on my 1X bike typically last a little longer than the chains on my 2X bike. But I guess that makes some sort of sense, because there's half the amount of shifting being done. Also, "cross-chaining" is impossible with just one ring.
Old 12-20-18, 11:11 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Just that with middle of a triple, same as 1 by in chainline, but, 1st and last casssette cog are redundant ratios with a big chainring
(less out of a better alignment) high,

& likewise 3rd chainring, better aligned with the larger cassette cogs

FWIW ...
Efneo GTRO Is a triple gear box single chainring crank .. an Alfine 8 and one of those would be an alternative drivetrain....
single speed chainline..
Old 12-20-18, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Slaninar
My thoughts on the subject: 1x_vs_double/triple - pros and cons
Thanks for this extensive discussion

P.S. Among the Pros of 1x you should have listed a smaller Q factor,

Last edited by 2_i; 12-20-18 at 10:24 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 12-20-18, 09:58 PM
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by cyccommute
My turn: Whatever floats your boat. Enjoy it.

The difference is that I don't think you really mean it.

No, it’s no where near enough range. A standard 44/34/22 triple with a 11-34 cassette has a 618% range. That’s almost adequate. If you are only doing mountain bike parks or limited range riding perhaps a 420% range will work but if you are ranging over longer distances where you run into lots of different kinds of terrain...including some pavement...that 420% range is very limited. That link above in shows the a 34 tooth midrange 1X11 with a 10-42 cassette. It has no high and a relatively high low.

But with just a little bit of work, it’s possible to get to a 720% range that works quite well. I have a 44/34/20 triple with an 11-36 10 speed cassette. I’m not stuck with having good gears for climbing or good gears for going downhill. I have both.

If you are satisfied with limited gearing, then whatever floats your boat.
Well, that's your experience, but it is not mine. Kind of hard to call something "limiting" due to not having something that I don't use or need any way. Might be limiting to you, but not to me.

While I have not set my bike up 1x11 yet, I've run 2x9 for the past ~18 years with an 11-34t cassette with various combos of 22t, 24t, 32t and 36t rings.

With a 24-36 rings and 11-34 cassette, that is 464%, only a hair wider than a 1x11 with a 11-50 (455%). With the 24-36 x 11-34, I have NEVER needed more range, like EVER.

24/34 is as low a gear as I can make use of. Any smaller than that I am spinning faster but it is just not really helping me. I could easily run a 22t ring (I did for a while), but simply don't anymore because it does not do me any good. Even on very long rides.

As far as the 36/11 top gear..... I am never spinning that out on the trail. like, EVER. Consider that DH racers typically go with 38/11 for their top gear. This is tall enough to keep up with people fully armored pointing downhill on 8"-10" travel DH bikes. Maybe you ride faster than they do, but I don't. Heck, I have never even spun out 32/11 on the trail. By the time I reach speeds off-road that 32/11 would spin out, it is how much I use the brakes - not how much I pedal - that decides how fast I am going.

As far as pavement? On a road bike with smoother tires, sure, I would be spinning out 36/11. But on my MTB I'm running ~2.3-2.4" tires with big knobs @ 23-27 psi. These are pretty slow rolling on pavement. And with 750mm wide flat bars I am not exactly the picture of aero, either. The only way I am outrunning 36/11 with that setup is if I am pointed down a pretty steep long hill, and even if I DID have a higher gear (like I used to with a 3x setup) I'm just pushing against a wall at that point. I cannot remember a single time I have ever been going down a big, steep paved hill (which hardly ever happens in the first place) and looked for a taller gear than 36/11 on an mtb. Heck, even with 32/11 high gear, I can count the number of times this has ever happened on two hands, and I really did not care even when it did. It's pavement, I could care less if I crank out another 2mph for a hundred yards or so once in a Blue Moon.

So, I don't really buy the suggestion that I am "limited" by anything, here. I have all the range I want for a trail bike. But I gained meaningful benefits going 2x, and will even more going 1x.

If you are satisfied with traveling across the entire cassette to get from high gear to low gear instead of being able to make larger jumps to middle and/or low range, then whatever floats your boat.
Across the ENTIRE cassette? I don't think so. Going from one chairing to the next on a 22-32-44 triple is 45% and 38% increase. If we are talking about 2x9, that is typically a shift of just 3 cogs on an 11-34 cassette. For 1x11 it is 2 or 3 cogs for 10-42 or 11-46, or 11-50. Besides, what I find is that when I go up or down a chaining, I usually end up needing to shift the rear anyway, unless I am being dropped in exactly the gear I want. And besides, It's super easy to shift a crap ton of cogs very quickly.

BTW, I don't just do parks and short rides. My riding has included very long rides over all sorts of terrain all over the US. Sierra Nevada Mtns, Rockies, Moab, and all up and down the East Coast. I have literally NEVER felt I was missing out on range with setups that were pretty much in line with what are now possible with 1X offerings.

So yeah, my boat is well-floated.

But if you want more range, that's fine, too. You know what you want. Whatever floats your boat. And I MEAN that.

Now if we are talking about an on-off road bike built up for trail AND pavement, that will be running faster tires.... yeah, I would be willing to give up some of the advantages of 1x or 2x for some added range.
Old 12-20-18, 10:38 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
If you want to ride really slow use the brake. It steadies things up. Learned this from the MSF...
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-20-18, 11:49 PM
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Thanks for this extensive discussion

P.S. Among the Pros of 1x you should have listed a smaller Q factor,
For all I know - Q factor depends on other things, number of chainrings is not a limiting factor - especially for modern MTB frames.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.