Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Swapping forks and C&V MTB question(s)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Swapping forks and C&V MTB question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 163 Posts
I just don’t see the value of the fork swap to allow a fatter tire to fit onto a bike that was not designed to be a rock-smashing, downhill bombing MTB in the first place. Enjoy your XO as designed, Grant knew what he was doing.
Old 01-24-24, 12:11 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,167 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
At 5' 4" I'm in the 17 - 18 inch/48cm range. I love my '90s mtbs but the long top tubes cause issues with my short arms.
17-18 inch MTB sounds big for 5’ 4” - and especially so if you have short arms

( at 5-6+ I typically ride 14 - 17” MTB )
Old 01-24-24, 07:40 PM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,573 Times in 940 Posts
The Princess is 18"; my first love, and my main ride.

Zoe is 16.5" and admittedly a better fit; she's my offroad ride, except I don't really ride offroad; I take her out sometimes anyway. I really need to get shorter cranks on both.

Likes For Korina:
Old 01-24-24, 08:36 PM

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
I just don’t see the value of the fork swap to allow a fatter tire to fit onto a bike that was not designed to be a rock-smashing, downhill bombing MTB in the first place. Enjoy your XO as designed, Grant knew what he was doing.
that's cool you like your XO-1s as is ! it's ironic to invoke Grant Peterson's name when his entire ideology has been to experiment with bicycles . if you're familiar with his Blahg and writings and time at Bridgestone and Rivendell - he's constantly trying out something new with bike frames / components - he's an avid tweaker of all things bikes. in that same type of thinking - i am considering adapting a 30 year old bike to see if it can do some additional things since i have limited space for multiple bikes - nothing permanent - i can always swap the fork back - it's all in the interest of trying something new
Likes For brooklyn_bike:
Old 01-27-24, 06:50 AM
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn_bike
that's cool you like your XO-1s as is ! it's ironic to invoke Grant Peterson's name when his entire ideology has been to experiment with bicycles . if you're familiar with his Blahg and writings and time at Bridgestone and Rivendell - he's constantly trying out something new with bike frames / components - he's an avid tweaker of all things bikes. in that same type of thinking - i am considering adapting a 30 year old bike to see if it can do some additional things since i have limited space for multiple bikes - nothing permanent - i can always swap the fork back - it's all in the interest of trying something new
People ask me why I try things that I do and my response is, "I'm curious and because I can."