Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your Marinoni

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your Marinoni

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 04:31 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 2,744 Times in 1,275 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
Yikes, that's a tall stem.
Ha, and it's shoved all the way down. It was up another four inches.
Ciclo T-3

Last edited by curbtender; 02-26-15 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by packardbell
you know it is a quebec thing.
so?
Old 02-27-15, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
so?
you do know that the national flag has the fleur de lys

here is my marinoni
Old 02-27-15, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by packardbell
you do know that the national flag has the fleur de lys

here is my marinoni
you do know that the national flag has a maple leaf?
Old 02-27-15, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Project bike:

Oh no! Is the rear drive side seat stay bent? Looks like a nice project.
Old 02-27-15, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's some pro work right there. haven't had the same results straightening a very minor triangle problem :-)
key is a huge lever it seems ? did you do it alone or did someone hold it in place for you ?
Old 04-14-15, 08:32 PM

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 963 Posts
I just picked this Marinoni Special touring bicycle, the other day. Though the bike is too big for me (60cm), it is proving to be a treat to ride, here in the Canadian Rockies. Lots of gearing (for going up the mountain) and those canti brakes really work (when coming down the mountain)...

Old 06-21-16, 05:25 PM
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
Here's mine, a '93 Special that I've owned since new and have been riding since; made to measure, set up on Campy Record, first generation ergopower.

It's a great bike, getting on it is like putting on my favourite pair of jeans. I do have a carbon road bike now, but this is still my go-to bike for a century.
Old 10-27-16, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mystery Marinoni

Recent acquisition, great riding bike. The chain stay decal indicates it is a 'Special', but the seatstay configuration looks more like a Squadra. Perhaps a custom Special? The other mystery to me is the nondescript Columbus tubing decal. I'm guessing it is either SLX or TSX. Has anyone seen one of these or know what it means?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20161009_153759.jpg (94.0 KB, 937 views)
20161009_154002.jpg (93.2 KB, 923 views)
Old 10-28-16, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,049 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollingalong
Recent acquisition, great riding bike. The chain stay decal indicates it is a 'Special', but the seatstay configuration looks more like a Squadra. Perhaps a custom Special? The other mystery to me is the nondescript Columbus tubing decal. I'm guessing it is either SLX or TSX. Has anyone seen one of these or know what it means?
That's an SLX/SPX decal. TSX would say "elica continua" as opposed to "rinforzi elicoidali", which basically translates to "continuous helix" (i.e. helical reinforcements the full length of tubes) versus "helical reinforcement" (i.e helical reinforcements only at the bottom bracket ends of the tubes). The SLX/SPX bicycle was typically called the Squadra. What year is it?
Old 10-28-16, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by beechnutC23
Here's mine, a '93 Special that I've owned since new and have been riding since; made to measure, set up on Campy Record, first generation ergopower.

It's a great bike, getting on it is like putting on my favourite pair of jeans. I do have a carbon road bike now, but this is still my go-to bike for a century.
The actual name for your bicycle is a Marinoni Leggero Record. Leggero indicates a Columbus EL tubeset while Record indicates the groupset.
Old 10-28-16, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 67 Posts
a true mastet

Still very much active
You can get à frame, fork, headset, colombus SL or sp
With chrome fork and rear triangle for 1400$ CAN
See my previous post

https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=524245

QUOTE=T-Mar;19153227]The actual name for your bicycle is a Marinoni Leggero Record. Leggero indicates a Columbus EL tubeset while Record indicates the groupset.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-28-16, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Some old steel, some new steel

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Three Marinonis in the household. Maybe the most in the states?? These are my two. Girlfriend got a late model cyclocross with Zona tubing for a commuter on ebay this summer. I don't have any pics of that one on hand.

1987 Special, Columbus SP:

2015 Retro Zona, picked up last December in Montreal:
Likes For arimajol:
Old 10-28-16, 10:49 AM

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Zombie thread - I remember perusing the first time, but just now realized I never posted mine (another tall one).

DSC00660.jpg

It has come to sport a Cambium C17 since this recent photo. All the better for winter in Vancouver!

1991 Special, purchased in Montréal a number of years ago and ridden around the loop in the park beneath the Olympic Stadium (a favourite spot) many times before following me here. Frequent rider. All original except (AFAIK) for stem, tape, tires, saddle, and pedals/cages/straps.
Old 10-28-16, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
That's an SLX/SPX decal. TSX would say "elica continua" as opposed to "rinforzi elicoidali", which basically translates to "continuous helix" (i.e. helical reinforcements the full length of tubes) versus "helical reinforcement" (i.e helical reinforcements only at the bottom bracket ends of the tubes). The SLX/SPX bicycle was typically called the Squadra. What year is it?
Thanks T-Mar, that makes perfect sense, I recall reading that Marinoni like to use a thicker gauge for the down tube. I am not sure of the year, I wrote the factory but never received a reply. I'm thinkig mid eighties based on the Shimano six speed and 126mm rear spacing. The serial number is either 10839 or 10339, should anyone have a similar number for comparison.
Old 10-29-16, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rollingalong
Thanks T-Mar, that makes perfect sense, I recall reading that Marinoni like to use a thicker gauge for the down tube. I am not sure of the year, I wrote the factory but never received a reply. I'm thinkig mid eighties based on the Shimano six speed and 126mm rear spacing. The serial number is either 10839 or 10339, should anyone have a similar number for comparison.
Typically, for frames of average size and riders of average weight, Marinoni favoured a heaver gauge down tube and chain stays. Based on your apparent frame size (54cm?), it is probably SPX in these tubes, unless it was custom built for a light rider.

As for age, the first character in the serial number is the year manufacturer. So, you frame would be 1981. 1991 or 2001, etc. 1991 would appear to be the best candidate based on the decal style, presence of the pump peg and fastbac stays. By 1991, 8 speed was still relatively new, with both Campagnolo and Shimsno offering a mix of 7 and 8 speed groups, so Marinoni may have been manufacturing in both 126mm and 130mm spacing, depending on customer preference. The only thing which does fit is the Columbus decal style. The traditional decal with gold background would be correct for 1991.

Edit: I just noticed that the fork has the old style Columbus decal, so that seat tube decal is probably a replacement.

Last edited by T-Mar; 10-30-16 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-30-16, 07:34 AM

Bikes: Lynskey R240

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine:

a 1996 Squadra with Campagnolo Athena groupset and a 2013 Piuma with Record.
Attached Images
DSC03477.jpg (100.5 KB, 876 views)
IMG_0001-b.jpg (100.9 KB, 879 views)
Old 01-11-17, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yes, lots of Marinoni Clydesdales here!

Old 01-15-17, 08:39 PM
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Here is my latest Marinoni, Genius Carbon set up on Record. My steel Marinoni's frame is on its way to Marinoni as we speak for a repaint. Lots of flaking and spots of surface rust so it needs some TLC. I'm also getting a Veloce compact crank for it; 58 y.o. legs...

Old 03-07-17, 01:46 PM

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts
can anyone tell me what the various fork crown cutout motifs signified? I've seen Fleur de Lys, "M" (presumably for Marinoni) and the Maple Leaf.
others?
what mean they?
Old 03-07-17, 02:00 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
can anyone tell me what the various fork crown cutout motifs signified? I've seen Fleur de Lys, "M" (presumably for Marinoni) and the Maple Leaf.
others?
what mean they?
FDL is for Montreal, his adopted city. Maple Leaf, Canadian national flag. M is for Marinoni.

That help?

DD
Old 03-07-17, 02:06 PM

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts
Yes, but I guess I was wondering if there was rhyme or reason to when Marinoni would have used which fork crown motif?
did they signify an era?
did they signify different quality levels of the build or materials?
or was it fashion, whatever they had on hand that month?
(I do recall someone once explaining to me that the Fleur de Lys had something to do with the Quebec provincial cycling team. Maybe a model designed for that use and then made more widely available?)
Old 03-12-17, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
The short answer is, there is/was no rhyme or reason, time frame and no mystical significance. All three motifs are still available if requested when a bike order is made.
Old 03-13-17, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi, Quebecer checking in here...
The fleur-de-lys predates Montreal. It is an important symbol in Catholicism and the French monarchy of history. It has nothing to do with secular France of today, but it is still significant to the French-speaking Quebec population of today and appears on the flag of Québec. THAT is why Marinoni has used it in his adopted home of Québec.
to be fair, the fleur-de-lys does appear on the coat of arms of Montreal, but so do the english rose, the irish clover and the scottish thistle.
Old 03-17-17, 05:04 PM
U.I.O.G.D.

Marinoni updates. I had both my Marinonis into my LBS this winter (my LBS is my son's shop, co-owned with two other partners, and he's head mechanic). My carbon frame just had a tuneup, wheel truing and some new bar tape; and the missing frame decal applied.

However my steel Marinoni (custom built frame), dating back to 1993, had a major refresh. First, the bike was stripped down to the frame and then the frame was sent back to the Marinoni factory for a full repaint; there was some flaking, some chips and more and more rust spots. I treasure the bike so I wanted to give it a new lease on life. The second thing was that the 53/39 Record crankset and my 59 y.o. knees were no longer compatible. Since the rest of the 9-speed drivetrain was fine, we opted to experiment with installing a 10-speed Campy Veloce compact crank (50/34). The installation was a success, so my knees should be happier. Lastly, it got a full tuneup and wheel truing, and some new bottle cages. The paint design is simpler than its original scheme, but it truly looks sharp. Now to find time to ride it... we received 70 cm of snow in a major storm Tuesday through Thursday morning. Mount Sutton, 10 km away, received a whopping 115 cm! So the bikes aren't coming out any time soon in spite of an early start on our crappiest bikes on Feb. 25th when the mercury hit +18C. Alas winter then returned with a vengeance. Anyway, to refresh your memories, let's start with what the steel one looked like before the repaint:

And now after:

Columbus EL oversize nivachrome tubing:

And new Veloce compact crank:

Carbon:

Scroll up a bit and you'll see that I replaced the red bar tape with black.

Columbus Genius carbon frame:

Both are built up with Campy Record components of their respective eras (except for the new Veloce compact crank).

Now for some spring weather to ride them...

Last edited by beechnutC23; 03-17-17 at 05:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.