Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pacific Coast Route - how long did it take you?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pacific Coast Route - how long did it take you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-17, 05:34 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
17 years .. I came to stay.
It's been 20, now, I found a House to buy..
Old 12-07-17, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I think this should be the one thread for everything. Touring, general cycling, foo, P&R etc. Why go through all of that trouble of creating a new relevant thread?? It is so difficult to figure out how to do that.
You're becoming too grumpy in your old age. Hey kid, get off my lawn and no skateboarding down my driveway (which would be suicide btw)

Probably best cured by repeating your PCH tour.
Old 12-07-17, 05:56 PM

Bikes: '16 Cervelo R5 .... Alchemy Arion .... Alchemy Ronin Ti ... Santa Cruz 5010CC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You guys are way off topic. How about getting back to the original thread theme . . . thanks
Old 12-07-17, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
^ Right! Pacific Coast in July 2012. I'll start looking up old weather reports so we know when was best to take the trip! This will be the first tour where you can accurately plan around bad weather!
Old 12-07-17, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
^ Right! Pacific Coast in July 2012. I'll start looking up old weather reports so we know when was best to take the trip! This will be the first tour where you can accurately plan around bad weather!
LOL - that was pretty funny 3speed
Old 12-08-17, 01:09 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For future reference to throw my 2c in, while I've never done the whole thing, I have done Astoria to San Fran 2-3 times. Oregon is a solid 7 days to the border, figure another 7 days to San Fran....but I've always done the lost coast route which adds another 6-7k feet of climbing, I think.

July to September, always been foggy in the morning, burns off around 11-12. Typically 65-75 during the day on coast, California inland can get up to 85-100 quite easily.
Old 12-08-17, 01:37 PM

Bikes: '16 Cervelo R5 .... Alchemy Arion .... Alchemy Ronin Ti ... Santa Cruz 5010CC

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Nick. Were you carrying a lot of gear, or was it a credit card/motel trip?
Old 12-08-17, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I am planning to do Vancouver BC to Vancouver WA through the Olympic peninsula in Jul 2018. Really to Portland but van to van sounds catchy. I have 9 days for that. I want to go to SF but don't think I'll have enough time. Planning to take Amtrak back.
Old 12-08-17, 09:30 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rfield54
Thanks Nick. Were you carrying a lot of gear, or was it a credit card/motel trip?
Full load of gear the whole way!
Old 12-09-17, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 438 Posts
My wife and I rode from Vancouver, BC to Powell River, BC; then across to Vancouver Island before heading south to the Mexican Border. We had to do it in segments due to a family emergency and limited vacation time. We rode a total of 1800 miles (2850km) in 35 days, averaging about 50 miles a day.

Loaded bike—Taking time out for a little people watching.

We finished the ride by dropping off our gear at a motel in San Diego and riding bare bike down to the border.

Last edited by Doug64; 12-09-17 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
44 days including rest days

I did the ride from Vancouver BC to the Mexican border in the fall of 2014, leaving Vancouver on Sep 16 and arriving at the border in San Ysidro on Oct 29 - so 44 days total, including 3 rest days on the road, 3 days off in San Francisco, and about 4 other half days spread throughout the trip. Total distance cycled was just under 3000 km. To be honest, the WA & OR parts of the ride were not the best, with a fair amount of traffic in places, a good deal of fog, and headwinds on many days. The best part of the ride by far was south of San Francisco - less traffic, better weather, and great scenery. Even LA was OK to cycle through, with the northern half of it (Malibu to Torrance) either on or just off the beach, and the southern half (Torrance to Dana Point) on urban arterials leaving LA, but with surprisingly little traffic (I was maybe fortunate to do that section on a Sunday). The ride from Malibu to Torrance was actually one of the highlights of the trip for me - a great view of LA beach culture, and multiple opportunities to eat, drink, and people watch.

I'd done a number of 3 week trips before, so this trip was by far the longest. It didn't feel that strenuous overall though - just one day after another, even for someone celebrating their 65th birthday on the road :-). By & large the topography isn't super challenging, although climbing in and out of the multiple steep creeks along the CA coast can get wearisome. But even the fabled climb from Leggett over to the coast on Highway 1 in northern CA was less difficult than expected.

Recommended if you have the time. The cheap camping available at hiker/biker state campgrounds makes it easy to economize if you want, and the campgrounds are also quite social - a good opportunity to meet, or even cycle for a few days with, other cyclists from all over doing the same route.